Who do you want to win byu-utah?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Who will you cheer for? Who do you think will win?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2019, 1:13 am

Cheering for Utah, Utah will win
44%
Cheering for BYU, BYU will win
2%
Cheering for Utah, but BYU will win
No votes
Cheering for BYU, but Utah will win
11%
Cheering for both teams to look bad, no opinion on who I want to win
43%

Total votes: 115

LKGates

Re: Who do you want to win byu-utah?

Post by LKGates » August 27th, 2019, 2:35 pm

jamesda3asu wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 2:10 pm
The ACC schedule is so crappy we are having to play UNC out of conference this year just to play them for the first time since 2013. They are our most hated rival I want to play them every year.
I loathe UNC. My MD is from Duke. I have a lot of respect for Wake. Great school academically (ALMOST as good as Duke ;) )!

I think the ACC, SEC, and Big-10 have all gotten too big. I think the ideal size for a conference is 10. Play every other team in the conference every year.

Good luck to you guys for the REST of the season, after Friday!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:27 pm
jamesda3asu wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:05 pm
Why do you guys not play Utah yearly?
I'm in the minority but it doesn't bother me that they don't schedule us. I would like it but I agree with their reasoning. They have 3 non-cons a year. They have to play BYU or BYU fans in the state offices will audit them. That leaves them with 2 open games, they generally schedule FCS so that leaves 1 FBS non-con game a year. If they put us down yearly that wraps it up.

They have been scheduling primarily G5 teams with home and homes (Wyoming, NIU, SDSU, etc.) but they have more P5 schools on the future schedules (Arkansas, Baylor)

If they were to play us every year, the national "brand" is hurt.

Also we are good enough that we can beat them and that would hurt their brand but we aren't good enough to add a lot of respect to their schedule.

I hope a home and home gets picked up soon but the closest would be 2025.
Well said. With our money game necessity every year I don’t see playing both Utah and BYU as a positive for us. Sure we could beat them both, add a FCS school and go 3-1 in the OOC. Or more than likely we’d be a guaranteed 2-2 every off season with a chance for 1-3.
Utah has P5 money, depth, and recruiting, so it’s no longer an even playing field with them. BYU also has more money and notoriety than us, but we’ve caught them in the recruiting and coaching facets of the game. That makes them a much better yearly opponent for us than Utah.
The only way Utah makes sense is if they pay us and take the place of the money game, or if we no longer need a money game. Neither of those will ever happen.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111thegreendalegelf

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 27th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I have quite a few Ute friends and not a single one of them are pumped for this game. Most of them have said how much of a nuisance this game has become for them. I agree with others above that this game has become increasingly more important to the blue side. When the only mystery left to the season is whether or not you can win 6 games in order to report to your pre-designated bowl you don't have much else to look forward to as a fan or player. This game is much bigger than any match up they could potentially get in Hawaii for a bowl.

Utah has won 65% of the games all-time, 8 straight, 9 of last 10, and 18 of last 25. I say the more this series grows in inequality the better. Eventually (almost already there) this game will be a win-win for Aggie fans no matter the outcome. The Utes lose and it hurts their profile and egos as a P5 program, the Coogs lose and it further cements the fact that they are no longer relevant in today's world of college football.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
LKGates918AGG

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » August 27th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:11 pm
I have quite a few Ute friends and not a single one of them are pumped for this game. Most of them have said how much of a nuisance this game has become for them. I agree with others above that this game has become increasingly more important to the blue side. When the only mystery left to the season is whether or not you can win 6 games in order to report to your pre-designated bowl you don't have much else to look forward to as a fan or player. This game is much bigger than any match up they could potentially get in Hawaii for a bowl.

Utah has won 65% of the games all-time, 8 straight, 9 of last 10, and 18 of last 25. I say the more this series grows in inequality the better. Eventually (almost already there) this game will be a win-win for Aggie fans no matter the outcome. The Utes lose and it hurts their profile and egos as a P5 program, the Coogs lose and it further cements the fact that they are no longer relevant in today's world of college football.
I'm not really that impressed with Ute fans having this attitude that any sort of in-state game---in football or basketball---is a nuisance now that they are in the mighty PAC12. I mean they have the same attitude with basketball and refuse to play USU, Weber State, and tried to get out of playing BYU. I guess they are too "big time" to play any low level schools now that they are in the mighty PAC12?

The ironic thing is that they've filled their schedules with Northern Illinois, San Jose State, Wyoming and others. Yet, their fans don't seem to complain about playing those teams?

Football is one thing, but it is complete BS that they try to get out of playing in-state schools in basketball. Their program isn't that fancy. They aren't Duke in basketball, nor are they Alabama or USC in football.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post (total 3):
Cast Iron AggieAGGZILLAsneed

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » August 27th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I just wish that Utah would schedule USU, now that USU has emerged as a power G5 team.

I'm even down for a 2 for 1 if need be.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
ViAggie

tinplater

Post by tinplater » August 27th, 2019, 3:36 pm

My fervent wish is that they play a 50 overtime game; called because of no one left to take the field.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
LKGates

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » August 27th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I want Satan to win when they both go to Hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
BearLakeMonster

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 27th, 2019, 4:53 pm

tinplater wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:36 pm
My fervent wish is that they play a 50 overtime game; called because of no one left to take the field.
This was my wish as well, but then I realized there might be a better option...

Imagine the two teams playing the most boring game and ending regulation in a 0-0 tie. This is not a game of stellar defense, but a game of such poor QB play that there is not doubt in anyone's mind that these are two of the worst QBs in the nation. Then at the end of regulation there is a brawl that gets so violent, that both teams are suspended for the duration of the season for their brutality and inhumanity.

In conclusion:
Nobody wins
Huge negative press for both teams
USU gets all the Salt Lake media, since they're the only show around
USU gets another bye week late in the season when we shouldn't have nonconference games anyway.

This is my dream scenario.

ronburgandee
Has thanked: 0

Post by ronburgandee » August 27th, 2019, 5:09 pm

I hope Utah loses.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » August 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Aglicious wrote:

Not enough thumbs down for this. BYU is BYU, for which I don’t care in the slightest. They can go 12-0 or 0-12 and it won’t change what I think about them. They are harmless and even amusing, in their own annoying way. No, this is all about Utah and their egos which need to be kept in check in the worst way. I honestly cannot wait for that house of cards to come crashing down once KW is no longer there. You may have friends that are Utes, ‘licious, but you don’t have to put up with pukes on a daily basis like those of us up here in or near SLC. They need to lose this one, so I’ll be rooting for BYU to win. Besides, the more BYU wins as the season wears on, the better that win will look when we paste them in November.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » August 27th, 2019, 5:48 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Not enough thumbs down for this. BYU is BYU, for which I don’t care in the slightest. They can go 12-0 or 0-12 and it won’t change what I think about them. They are harmless and even amu :utah: sing, in their own annoying way. No, this is all about Utah and their egos which need to be kept in check in the worst way. I honestly cannot wait for that house of cards to come crashing down once KW is no longer there. You may have friends that are Utes, ‘licious, but you don’t have to put up with pukes on a daily basis like those of us up here in or near SLC. They need to lose this one, so I’ll be rooting for BYU to win. Besides, the more BYU wins as the season wears on, the better that win will look when we paste them in November.
I'm with you. The Utes will not play us! The Utes need to crash especially with all the hype about their tram. Also it will look much better when we crush the Y. :utah: :state:

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 27th, 2019, 6:00 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Not enough thumbs down for this. BYU is BYU, for which I don’t care in the slightest. They can go 12-0 or 0-12 and it won’t change what I think about them. They are harmless and even amusing, in their own annoying way. No, this is all about Utah and their egos which need to be kept in check in the worst way. I honestly cannot wait for that house of cards to come crashing down once KW is no longer there. You may have friends that are Utes, ‘licious, but you don’t have to put up with pukes on a daily basis like those of us up here in or near SLC. They need to lose this one, so I’ll be rooting for BYU to win. Besides, the more BYU wins as the season wears on, the better that win will look when we paste them in November.
You're right, I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis - not having to deal with a huge contingency from either school is a blessing! While it sounds like you agree with my conclusion, it also sounds like you are ready for the hurting of those P5 egos to happen NOW and not later! Perhaps if I lived up there or listened to local media I would feel the same.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » August 27th, 2019, 6:36 pm

I want the Utes to win. I want to see them hit 10 straight. I’m with those that say they can have an intelligent conversation with a Ute fan. Most are well informed and actually know about programs outside their university. BYU fans are intolerable, have no idea about any team outside BYU unless it’s a quidditch team and are all stuck in the 80s.

I know the U will not play us and we have a history with both institutions, but for me it’s the fan base - I don’t really care about the politics of the universities and I can’t stand BYU fans.

It’s like when we played Kansas State in BB compared to playing Marquette. I don’t blame either program for not scheduling us year to year - what do they have to gain. But after interacting with the fan base I was a Marquette fan and will never cheer for Kansas State.
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
NVAggie

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 27th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:I just wish that Utah would schedule USU, now that USU has emerged as a power G5 team.

Never, never, never give Utah a 2 for 1. If they can go even up with SJSU and NIU they can do the same for Aggies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post (total 2):
sneedNavyBlue

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » August 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm

BYU loses. Don’t even know a Ute fan, so I don’t care about them. Several cougars, including even in my house. Any doubt about stupid fans, visit their fan boards. Delusional.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » August 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm

One more option would run away with the voting: Want both teams to look bad, Utah will win.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » August 28th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Utah winning (and if we beat East Provo High again this year) helps to cement us as the No. 2 program in the state. Eclipsing EPHS long-term is huge.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 29th, 2019, 1:04 pm

yBu 3 - Ewetah 0. I want a game so boring the fans are leaving in the third quarter and ESPN cuts to badminton qualifiers for the Vanuatu Olympic team.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » August 29th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I hope BYU wins in a comfortable margin, that way when we beat them for the 3rd straight year, there won't be ANY discussion about who is the best team this year.
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » August 29th, 2019, 2:05 pm

BYU with the win. Get their hopes up in time for us to crush them in Logan.
These users thanked the author Aggie_CEE for the post:
JSHarvey

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 29th, 2019, 2:19 pm

BYU wins, embarrasses Utah. Then BYU losses to USC, UW, Tennessee, Toledo, Boise, USU, and finally SDSU puts them out of there misery, and BYU finishes 5-7. But because they beat Utah BYU holds onto Sitake for another season.

Utah then losses to ASU, WAZZU, UW, and Colorado, finishing 7-5. getting a chance to play USU in the Las Vegas bowl. But they refuse to play the the game because they would rather not go to a bowl game than to play USU and lose. Instead the Las Vegas Bowl bid goes to 5-7 USC who gets into the bowl game because there are not enough bowl eligible teams, but has just fired Clay Helton. USU wins the Las Vegas bowl 65-3.

That would be a dream come true.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
NVAggietinplater

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » August 29th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
    August 28th, 2019, 9:40 pm
    Utah winning (and if we beat East Provo High again this year) helps to cement us as the No. 2 program in the state. Eclipsing EPHS long-term is huge.
    Why don't you want BYU to win and then we crush byu and then we are the number one team in the state? doesn't make sense that you would settle for being number the number 2 program in the state when we could possibly be #1. PAC 12 Kool Aid. Go Aggies!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 29th, 2019, 2:48 pm

This may just be the Aggie Kool-Aid speaking, but I truly wonder if BYU will sponsor a football team in 5 years.

It seems like the perfect cocktail for dissolving BYU football is brewing: 1) very serious questions about football player concussions, 2) growing malaise from younger generations about attending live college football games, 3) LDS church's growing desire to shed its American-centric elements (scouting affiliation, EFY, use of the term "Mormon" and "LDS," etc.).

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just being too hopeful, but I could really see the brethren deciding to dissolve church sponsored American football in 5 - 10 years.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm

918AGG wrote:
    August 29th, 2019, 2:48 pm
    This may just be the Aggie Kool-Aid speaking, but I truly wonder if BYU will sponsor a football team in 5 years.

It seems like the perfect cocktail for dissolving BYU football is brewing: 1) very serious questions about football player concussions, 2) growing malaise from younger generations about attending live college football games, 3) LDS church's growing desire to shed its American-centric elements (scouting affiliation, EFY, use of the term "Mormon" and "LDS," etc.).

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just being too hopeful, but I could really see the brethren deciding to dissolve church sponsored American football in 5 - 10 years.
    5-10 years is far too soon.

1) This is a valid concern but I think it changes the game, not killing it solely at BYU-P
    2) Again changes will be needed to keep it interesting for the younger generations but that issue isn't exclusive to BYU-P
    3) Are they going to kill BYU entirely because they only own universities in America? I think they are looking for the church itself to be uniform around the world, not that the hobbies and interests of the members. They would have to kill all athletics, as well.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 29th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Weber!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 29th, 2019, 3:07 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
    August 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm
    918AGG wrote:

5-10 years is far too soon.

1) This is a valid concern but I think it changes the game, not killing it solely at BYU-P
    2) Again changes will be needed to keep it interesting for the younger generations but that issue isn't exclusive to BYU-P
    3) Are they going to kill BYU entirely because they only own universities in America? I think they are looking for the church itself to be uniform around the world, not that the hobbies and interests of the members. They would have to kill all athletics, as well.
    Yes, and I believe that they would.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

tinplater

Post by tinplater » August 29th, 2019, 3:57 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
    August 29th, 2019, 1:04 pm
    yBu 3 - Ewetah 0. I want a game so boring the fans are leaving in the third quarter and ESPN cuts to badminton qualifiers for the Vanuatu Olympic team.
    Why not zero zero infinite overtimes zero zero and both schools give up football?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 29th, 2019, 4:28 pm

918AGG wrote:

I would love it if the brethren would just dissolve the whole school or better yet just donate it to the State of Utah and rename it Provo State College Tigers.
    These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
    ViAggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 29th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
    August 27th, 2019, 3:32 pm
    I just wish that Utah would schedule USU, now that USU has emerged as a power G5 team.

Wont happen unless we start sucking again, no way KWit is going to schedule GA

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

oleblu111
    RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 29th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
    August 27th, 2019, 3:30 pm
    Aglicious wrote:

I'm not really that impressed with Ute fans having this attitude that any sort of in-state game---in football or basketball---is a nuisance now that they are in the mighty PAC12. I mean they have the same attitude with basketball and refuse to play USU, Weber State, and tried to get out of playing BYU. I guess they are too "big time" to play any low level schools now that they are in the mighty PAC12?

The ironic thing is that they've filled their schedules with Northern Illinois, San Jose State, Wyoming and others. Yet, their fans don't seem to complain about playing those teams?

Football is one thing, but it is complete BS that they try to get out of playing in-state schools in basketball. Their program isn't that fancy. They aren't Duke in basketball, nor are they Alabama or USC in football.
    The Ute attitude is that the football game is not near as important as winning the Pac-12 and going to the Rose bowl. That I can see, however not playing USU in basketball is complete B.S. Given what our football record against them plus our conference games I'm not sure we need another football game with a school that has so much more than what we do.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 29th, 2019, 7:31 pm

I just get along better with Ute fans for some reason. Most of my friends are Utes. BYU fans always seem to bug me. Plus they are usually just weird.

No doubt both schools have screwed the Aggies, but I naturally gravitate toward the Utes is this game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 29th, 2019, 10:21 pm

We would kick both teams A$$E$$!!

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 29th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I can still remember a long time ago, obviously long before they were in the PAC 12, that Ute fans were talking on their board suggesting that they willingly play us ONLY in Logan, being a nice drive and a stadium in a nice setting. Of course, part of the reason was they could depend on a trip to Logan being a guaranteed win.

I do hate BYU more than Utah, but the fact is that if they got an invite to the Big 12, they would be done playing us in Logan like Utah was when they got into the PAC 12. BYU's willingness to play us has more to do with needing to feel out their schedule than it does with having any smaller of an ego than Utah.
    These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 5):
    AgMacAggie19MetsJetsAggiesUSU78NVAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic