We miss Yost

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
RigAggie

We miss Yost

Post by RigAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 3:09 pm

Observation after the first game and seeing the plays Sanford called. It will take time for him to learn and adapt in the new offensive scheme. But it is obvious we miss Yost. I believe the defense will be as good or maybe even better than last year, but not so sure about the offense.

GeoAg

Re: We miss Yost

Post by GeoAg » September 3rd, 2019, 3:20 pm

And yet the defense was the reason we lost the game. I feel exactly the opposite, lol.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 11):
flying_scotsman2.0AggiesForeverLarryTheAggiesneedIdaAg93oleblu111AggieFBObsessionnewtonianbluesam tingeyaceofspadeskb and one more user

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 3rd, 2019, 3:22 pm

I agree. Though the playcalling overall was not horrendous. Aside from some already overdiscussed examples I think it worked pretty well, and it did get us nearly 600 yards of offense. Two things in particular that I felt were missing to at least some degree were the screen game (I only remember it being used once, and it was succesful) and Jordan with the keeper, especially near the goal line.

bpd

Post by bpd » September 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

I disagree with the OP. It was one game, small sample size. Let the season play out. Let the playbook play out.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
AggiesForever

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Yost was great, but the new OC deserves more than a game to be evaluated on.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggiesForever

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 3rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

GeoAg wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:20 pm
And yet the defense was the reason we lost the game. I feel exactly the opposite, lol.
Agree with this. The corners got burned several times. Tackling in the first half was atrocious, but cleaned up some after halftime, at which point we started shutting down the run.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » September 3rd, 2019, 3:41 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm
For sure. If we had as much patience with our wives as we do with coordinators, we'd all be divorced.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 3rd, 2019, 3:43 pm

After re-watching (for third time, I know...... I am a glutton for punishment) it is hard to disagree. The only thoughts that make me feel better is that 1.) he has been an OC at the highest level so he knows what he's doing and will get better and 2.) It was the first game of the year and his first as this set of player's coach, and he was learning on the fly what he had when the lights came on and things were real.

That being said, here's what makes me the most uneasy:
1. The lack of creativity from start to end. Coach Sanford might not have that many starters returning but that doesn't mean he didn't have guys that have played a lot of downs at his disposal.
2. The sudden disappearance of G. Bright in the offense. Our play calling tendencies are going to become more predictable moving forward when Warren is in versus having Bright in if they are not used more evenly. Many people have pointed to Warren doing so well in the game but the two large gains he had made up the bulk of his yards and in his own words were "holes anyone could have run through". Had they been with Bright on the field, they are likely TD's.
3. Lack of use of D Thompkins, especially given what he did in one touch of the ball.

Yes we put up a lot of yards and a decent amount of points but we not only left 10-17 points off the board early but we seemed satisfied with simply having the lead late. Nearly every score we had was the result of an incredible individual play or effort by that player and not the result of a mismatch on the field or play call that made scoring elementary if executed correctly. Compare that to Yost's offense where he schemed to put players in positions that they would find themselves open or designed plays that were indefensible for a minimum gain even if played perfectly by a defense.

For the record, this isn't the reason I feel we lost, the defense carries more of that blame. The O could have bailed them out and didn't. The D could have bailed the O out and didn't.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Intermeddler

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

I didn't have a problem with the play calling. Right up until the second to last drive when we crawled into our shell and went into ultra-conservative mode. But I don't necessarily think it was Sanford making that decision.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07JSHarvey

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm

Does anyone remember our offense in 2017? Yost lead that offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
AggiesForever

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 3rd, 2019, 3:59 pm

600 yards, 5 touchdowns. A decision to not kick a field goal, 3 turnovers, less-than-great execution in spots (game 1 mistakes). It's not all on the OC.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22IdaAg93

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 4:04 pm

I agree with the no creativity part, very bad. Playing not to lose is a GA trait I'm not happy to see back. I hate that. 2 mins left and we turn it over on downs. Stupid.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 3rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:59 pm
600 yards, 5 touchdowns. A decision to not kick a field goal, 3 turnovers, less-than-great execution in spots (game 1 mistakes). It's not all on the OC.
Dead on. There are concerns with this team. Namely the damned secondary and kind of a rigid defensive scheme. I hated the play calling at the end but then again that's what happens when you throw 2 critical picks with your new coach. Still should have been in Jordan's hands. Even then, I haven't had the desire to watch the replay but I felt like Jordan should have pulled the last 3rd down run and it did appear to be a read option.

It all sucks and is so Aggieesque but this is still going to be a hell of a team that is going to outscore a lot of opponents. I also think the O-line will get better and better and I sure hope our cover guys do as well. If not it'll make for some exciting football and I guarantee you Love isn't going to throw 3 picks again. I think he got a bit too cocky and stared down his guy on the first two. I turned the TV off too fast to see exactly what happened at the end.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » September 3rd, 2019, 4:24 pm

Honestly, when you have new coaches working together with new kids coming in, there is trust that must be built before everyone is firing on all cylinders. As the season goes on, you have coaches and players building trust with each other and we will see some improvement. It was a tough loss but we will be better sooner than later IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 3rd, 2019, 4:52 pm

Dang, I sometimes hate the fall. I spend all week wishing it was the weekend, and before I know it, football is over! Argh! Gameday Saturday...Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93newtonianblue

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » September 3rd, 2019, 5:47 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:26 pm
Yost, too, lost his first road game in his role at USU against Wisconsin, 59-10. I’m glad we didn’t throw the baby out with the bath water with Yost. We shouldn’t be too concerned with our new OC. After all, he coached a better offensive first game than Yost. Secondly, our coaches aren’t stupid. They’re going to be evaluating what went well, what didn’t, and apply lessons learned to upcoming games. I’m guessing Stony Brook will be a good opportunity to work some kinks out and prep for SDSU.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post:
MrBiggle

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 3rd, 2019, 5:50 pm

This is how you figure out if there is a problem or not. We scored 35 points racked up over 600 yards and had 10 or more points not been left on the board and we win that game. This conversation WOULDN'T BE HAPPENING! All the talk would be about how we put up 45 points and 600+ yards and finally beat a P5 team on the road. There is nothing wrong with the play calling and there is nothing wrong the offense. A few poor plays were made and it cost us the game. Remember when it took a damn month to score an offensive touchdown? That's when you should be (I can't express myself without swearing) about the offense. Losing sucks a$$ but cleaning a few things up will turn this loss into some wins down the road. It's a $hitty pill to swallow but as long as some things were learned about ourselves during the game things will be okay.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 19):
NVAggiebigbluepdyebrasilZaggie07IdaAg93JSHarveyProvoAggiejeffdan25oleblu111treesap32 and 9 more users

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 3rd, 2019, 6:08 pm

Yep...agreed 22.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 3rd, 2019, 6:09 pm

A few criticisms:

1. Yost seemed to have a really good feel for when to call running plays at our tempo. We seemed to do best when we went short completion, short completion, and then ran the ball. Our running game seemed less effective when we ran after incompletions or on first down. Sanford seemed to do more of that than Yost but it is only one game and that might be dictated by the defensive looks on those downs. But I would prefer more passing on first down because I think our pass game sets up our run game more than the other way around.

2. I don't recall any designed perimeter runs against WF. Maybe there was an end around, but everything seemed to be between the tackles. Either Love should keep more on the RPO (assuming they are truly RPOs designed for that) or we need to spread the defense out that way a bit more. We had a few runs that could have broken for big gains had there been more space at the LB level.

3. We didn't go vertical very often, if at all. There was the TD to Nathan but that was about it. Losing Tarver was big in this regard as the vertical route to him was a big chunk play for us. Maybe as Mariner asserts himself he can be that target or Scarver with his speed but it felt like we didn't have the space to operate we had last year and I think points 2 and 3 were part of why.

4. I think we went 3 and out 6 times and had 3 turnovers. We seemed more feast or famine than last year and I think that contributed to the defensive lapses a bit.

Overall, I think he was solid, but the total yards and points masks a few things that are worth keeping an eye on going forward that could elevate our offense a bit more. Sanford is obviously a good OC and competent guy, it is a question of him melding with what we have and that takes some time. The SDSU game will tell a lot.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » September 3rd, 2019, 6:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 5:50 pm
This is how you figure out if there is a problem or not. We scored 35 points racked up over 600 yards and had 10 or more points not been left on the board and we win that game. This conversation WOULDN'T BE HAPPENING! All the talk would be about how we put up 45 points and 600+ yards and finally beat a P5 team on the road. There is nothing wrong with the play calling and there is nothing wrong the offense. A few poor plays were made and it cost us the game. Remember when it took a damn month to score an offensive touchdown? That's when you should be (I can't express myself without swearing) about the offense. Losing sucks a$$ but cleaning a few things up will turn this loss into some wins down the road. It's a $hitty pill to swallow but as long as some things were learned about ourselves during the game things will be okay.
+1

Some people here either weren't here 15 yearsish ago or have a short memory.

WF game was painful because we were so close, but it was fun game to watch regardless.

It beats the days when there were like 2 K-Rob highlights per year to hold you over until the next season. And often wondering if it might be possible to win enough games to reach a bowl game with special teams alone.

Now there are some mistakes on offense and defense and we lose a tough game by 3 (first game of the OC's career here) and people are bagging on him?...snowflakes.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

GUS

Post by GUS » September 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

I thought the toe tap touchdown by Marriner was a vertical play.

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » September 3rd, 2019, 6:50 pm

You also need to remember our competition last year was not great. Had we played a team the caliber of Wake Forest last year, I’m not sure the outcome would have been any different. Last season we barely beat Wyoming and Colorado State. Let’s at least give it a few games before we hit the panic button!!!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 6:50 pm

This game would have been ranked 5th in terms of offensive production compared to the 26 games Yost coached. On the road to an ACC school.

games that had more yards in the last two years: tennessee tech, unlv (by 3 yards), hawaii, san jose state, all last season.
yards vs P5 teams under Yost: 304 (wisconsin), 267 (wake in 2017), 344 (MSU)
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 8):
aggies22GeoAgZaggie07JSHarveyoleblu111MaverickAggienewtonianblueUsu0505

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 3rd, 2019, 7:03 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 6:50 pm
This game would have been ranked 5th in terms of offensive production compared to the 26 games Yost coached. On the road to an ACC school.

games that had more yards in the last two years: tennessee tech, unlv (by 3 yards), hawaii, san jose state, all last season.
There you go bringing crazy information like facts to the conversation! :)

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 3rd, 2019, 7:24 pm

Pretty sure last year complained about all three and outs, to paraphrase, often trying to discount any and all big plays and focusing kn driving the all into the line.

We had almost 600 yards, the three picks cost us, the 4 and 1 cost us, the 5’9” corner backs versus 6’4” receivers cost us.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 4):
aggies22Zaggie07JSHarveyoleblu111

Hail Aggies!

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 3rd, 2019, 7:55 pm

ViAggie wrote:I agree with the no creativity part, very bad. Playing not to lose is a GA trait I'm not happy to see back. I hate that. 2 mins left and we turn it over on downs. Stupid.
This comes up often but don’t forget the couple 2-3 seasons that Wells was soundly criticized for this exact same thing. I’m not ready to crucify GA yet. Players don’t make plays too.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » September 3rd, 2019, 8:03 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:This game would have been ranked 5th in terms of offensive production compared to the 26 games Yost coached. On the road to an ACC school.

Definitely adds some perspective right there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
aggies22

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:43 pm

Considering we only returned 2 starting players from the offense I thought we did a great job.
These users thanked the author USUstudent13 for the post:
aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

My only two complaints about the OC from the WF game are these:

1. Lack of creativity when backed up inside the 10. The announcer, Andre Ware (Heisman QB in 1989) kept pointing out how that is the best time to throw because the D' is expecting a conservative play call. When Love threw the INT, Ware pointed out that USU waited until third down to throw - when the D would be expecting it. Hence, the CB sitting on the route.

2. The much belabored 3rd and 4 call while trying to ice the game. Won't rehash it here.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
utahcountyaggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 3rd, 2019, 9:26 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 8:54 pm

1. Lack of creativity when backed up inside the 10. The announcer, Andre Ware (Heisman QB in 1989) kept pointing out how that is the best time to throw because the D' is expecting a conservative play call. When Love threw the INT, Ware pointed out that USU waited until third down to throw - when the D would be expecting it. Hence, the CB sitting on the route.

2. The much belabored 3rd and 4 call while trying to ice the game. Won't rehash it here.
I agree with this.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 3rd, 2019, 9:39 pm

In Yost's first game at Texas Tech against the mighty Montana State (they are actually a good FCS opponent) his offense put up 45 points. Going into the 4th QTR they had 31 points. In total they put up ~680 yards of offense. Don't get me wrong that is solid showing, but Sanford had a good game and will get better. Yost had his issues as well, people remember WYO/CSU last year, but also the bowl game in 2017 was really bad from an offensive standpoint. Does anyone remember the pitch on the 1 yard line. Don't get me wrong I would take Yost as my OC any day of the week, but people lose perspective at times, myself included.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

Sr. Tubastank
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sr. Tubastank » September 3rd, 2019, 10:23 pm

People (I can't express myself without swearing) about an offense that put up 600 yards on the road, to a P5 program, in the first game...got it...🤦🏻‍♂️
These users thanked the author Sr. Tubastank for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

@Call_It_Ustate

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » September 4th, 2019, 6:08 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:26 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I agree with this.
If you guys want to believe the Int in our own red zone was on the OC that's fine, but you may want to go back and watch that play 1st and ask yourself. Did JL make the right read and did he throw the route he choose on time.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 4th, 2019, 7:52 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:08 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:26 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I agree with this.
If you guys want to believe the Int in our own red zone was on the OC that's fine, but you may want to go back and watch that play 1st and ask yourself. Did JL make the right read and did he throw the route he choose on time.
The point Andre Ware was making is that we were being very predictable by running it on first and second and then throwing a short hitch on third.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 4th, 2019, 8:08 am

Split the field into "zones" of 2 rows of three columns. We can't it the two deep outside zones. We don't have the height to hit those fade routes. That's not on Sanford. He inherited a short team. It's hard to stretch the field the way our offense was able to last year if you can't hit plays anywhere on the field.

Locked Previous topicNext topic