2nd to last drive!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUaggie

2nd to last drive!

Post by USUaggie » August 30th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Five straight runs to Warren up the middle! Inexcusable!!!

Not three like so many are saying.

Totally on Sanford and Andersen. Really terrible.
These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post:
brownjeans

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: 2nd to last drive!

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 30th, 2019, 10:58 pm

It's a heck of a lot easier to get 10 yards than it is to try and make a 1:00 drive for a FG or go ahead score. That's the approach I wish our coaches would've taken on that drive, even if it meant throwing the ball. Instead we conceded the downs and the ball to Wake.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
ElkaggieSpectrumMagicIntermeddler

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 30th, 2019, 10:59 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:58 pm
It's a heck of a lot easier to get 10 yards than it is to try and make a 1:00 drive for a FG or go ahead score. That's the approach I wish our coaches would've taken on that drive, even if it meant throwing the ball. Instead we conceded the downs and the ball to Wake.
Gutless, really.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » August 30th, 2019, 11:06 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:58 pm
This

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 30th, 2019, 11:16 pm

As soon as they punted by playing not to lose, I knew they had lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Full

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 31st, 2019, 7:53 am

Coaches meeting:
Hey, let's totally change the way we play the last few minutes of the game.
You don't think it's better to stick with what we do well?
No. We need to be a totally different team - because the clock man!
The clock changes our team?
Right!

Show confidence in your players and let them play ball the way they always play. Don't try to make them something they aren't in the last few minutes of the game.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » August 31st, 2019, 8:05 am

While coaches made some decisions that I'm sure they'd change like kicking a FG,instead of going for it. A LOT OF U GUYS need to go back and rewatch the game. It sucks we lost I know, but let's be real about the things that cost us the game.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » August 31st, 2019, 8:21 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:05 am
While coaches made some decisions that I'm sure they'd change like kicking a FG,instead of going for it. A LOT OF U GUYS need to go back and rewatch the game. It sucks we lost I know, but let's be real about the things that cost us the game.
I agree we could point to a ton of mistakes in such a close game. I am not going to blame an amateur athlete. We have just watched this same thing happen time and time again. I am excited to have Gary back, I love how he treats and cares for the players. I bet 90 % of our fan base knew what was going to happen on that second to last drive and it did and we expressed our frustration. Still super excited for the team and coaches we have.
These users thanked the author stewusu98 for the post:
Machismo

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 31st, 2019, 8:32 am

I watched this horse race yesterday. There was this one horse that stumbled a few times, but found itself with a narrow lead on the last turn. Then, suddenly, the jockey hooked a plow to the horse down the stretch! I know, I couldn't believe it either. Needless to say, the horse lost. Now, maybe if the jockey had given the horse it's head and let it rip the horse would have stumbled again and lost on it's own, but in spite of earlier mistakes the horse was in position to win and the jockey blew it by hooking on a plow. It just made no sense.
Last edited by brownjeans on August 31st, 2019, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 31st, 2019, 8:32 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:While coaches made some decisions that I'm sure they'd change like kicking a FG,instead of going for it. A LOT OF U GUYS need to go back and rewatch the game. It sucks we lost I know, but let's be real about the things that cost us the game.
You mean like wasting all our timeouts on a futile goal line stand. Timeout usage is on the coach, and he frankly sucked at it. Epically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

kofdog

Post by kofdog » August 31st, 2019, 8:35 am

jpswensen wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:32 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:While coaches made some decisions that I'm sure they'd change like kicking a FG,instead of going for it. A LOT OF U GUYS need to go back and rewatch the game. It sucks we lost I know, but let's be real about the things that cost us the game.
You mean like wasting all our timeouts on a futile goal line stand. Timeout usage is on the coach, and he frankly sucked at it. Epically.

I think I’m okay with using the timeouts there. They knew the chances they were going to score were high so they wanted some time on the clock to try for the last drive.
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 2):
MachismoFull

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 31st, 2019, 10:02 am

Had to use the timeouts, but notice that on 4th down, they faked the run and then passed. Hopefully GA learns from this but I doubt it. Clawson 1 Anderson 0

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 31st, 2019, 1:47 pm

jpswensen wrote:

Are you saying we should have just let the clock run or just get it off the way and let them score to get the ball back?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 31st, 2019, 1:56 pm

You had to use your timeouts right there unless you just let them score which is up for debate. Once you stopped them the first time you have to use your time outs.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » August 31st, 2019, 6:26 pm

jpswensen wrote:

So you're saying we should have just let the clock run out? Or let them score? We almost won the game with a goal line stand, and still left time for a drive that should have at least resulted in a tie, but for the poor throw on our final play.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

bull

Post by bull » August 31st, 2019, 6:48 pm

brownjeans wrote:
I watched this horse race yesterday. There was this one horse that stumbled a few times, but found itself with a narrow lead on the last turn. Then, suddenly, the jockey hooked a plow to the horse down the stretch! I know, I couldn't believe it either. Needless to say, the horse lost. Now, maybe if the jockey had given the horse it's head and let it rip the horse would have stumbled again and lost on it's own, but in spite of earlier mistakes the horse was in position to win and the jockey blew it by hooking on a plow. It just made no sense.
Why is it so obvious to everyone except our coaches? Maybe Heartwell can lay down the law again.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » August 31st, 2019, 7:11 pm

I'm really amazed at how clueless a large portion of our fan base is. It's quite shocking really.
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post (total 3):
oleblu111jeffdan25AggieFBObsession

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm

USUaggie wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Here's something to chew on. I have been told from a VERY reliable source that the play call on 3rd and 4 was NOT the original play call. The ORIGINAL play call was a run pitch to the outside since they figured that the Wake Forest defense would be bringing the heat between the tackles. Jordan Love AUDIBLED into the inside run that was stuffed and forced us to punt.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
oleblu111Stockypoo2212AggieFBObsession

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 5th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Which I still trust QB to make that call based on what he sees. As far as wasting timeouts on a goal line stand... seriously?
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm
USUaggie wrote:

Here's something to chew on. I have been told from a VERY reliable source that the play call on 3rd and 4 was NOT the original play call. The ORIGINAL play call was a run pitch to the outside since they figured that the Wake Forest defense would be bringing the heat between the tackles. Jordan Love AUDIBLED into the inside run that was stuffed and forced us to punt.
That would make sense with how Gary has been answering the questions on the radio this week.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » September 5th, 2019, 2:36 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 7:11 pm
I'm really amazed at how clueless a large portion of our fan base is. It's quite shocking really.
Saw a claim from a study the other day that concluded that only 2% of football fans actually understand what’s going on in the game. From comments I hear around me in the Mav and on this board sometimes, I’d say that number is optimistic 😂😂😂.

(FWIW, I’ve watched A LOT of football in my life and I still don’t claim to be in the 2%)
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 5th, 2019, 2:57 pm

aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

Really?!?!?!?! If this is the case, it actually bring me a lot of solace.

And also a lot of consternation.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 5th, 2019, 3:19 pm

AgMac wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 2:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

Really?!?!?!?! If this is the case, it actually bring me a lot of solace.

And also a lot of consternation.
And even though few are doing it here, Jordan Love is the leader of this team and made the most critical mistakes. I'd be more willing to blame the coaches for a loss like this if we hadn't lost the turnover battle 3-1. You won't win many games when you lose the turnover battle by more than 1. There's a leader of this team that needs to play MUCH better if the Aggies expect to win. Ok. Great. A lot of yards passing but he threw half of those yards away on bad throws. That's not the coach's fault. Jordan knows better and I expect he'll improve.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 5th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:26 pm
jpswensen wrote:

So you're saying we should have just let the clock run out? Or let them score? We almost won the game with a goal line stand, and still left time for a drive that should have at least resulted in a tie, but for the poor throw on our final play.
I'm going to assume that the comment about the goal line stand being futile means he felt WF was bound to score anyway, so why not let them in? My response would be what are you saving your timeouts for? I explained this in another thread but there is very little value in having timeouts on offense in college football. Timeouts are far more valuable to a defense trying to get the ball back for the offense. With the clock stopping on every first down in college it allows an offense to move down the field without the NFL pressures of total clock management and limited play selection. In college the entire field is still in play even with no timeouts and as long as you continue to move at a quick pace and gain first downs (not that difficult in a hurry up offense where defenses are usually in max prevent). The offense has time to gather, reset, and spike a ball if necessary with only a second or two coming off the game clock.

I like to think good coaches are those that give their players the maximum amount of chances to win a game. They can't make the play for them on the field but they can create more opportunities for players to make plays. In this case our coaches did exactly that. They gave the D a chance to win the game by making 4 stops from the 1 (small % of probability but still a chance nonetheless) and then gave the O a chance to win or tie it by putting together one last scoring drive. To me, two chances is better than one.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
jeffdan25NVAggieZaggie07

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 5th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Aglicious wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Rabidchild wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:26 pm
jpswensen wrote:

I'm going to assume that the comment about the goal line stand being futile means he felt WF was bound to score anyway, so why not let them in? My response would be what are you saving your timeouts for? I explained this in another thread but there is very little value in having timeouts on offense in college football. Timeouts are far more valuable to a defense trying to get the ball back for the offense. With the clock stopping on every first down in college it allows an offense to move down the field without the NFL pressures of total clock management and limited play selection. In college the entire field is still in play even with no timeouts and as long as you continue to move at a quick pace and gain first downs (not that difficult in a hurry up offense where defenses are usually in max prevent). The offense has time to gather, reset, and spike a ball if necessary with only a second or two coming off the game clock.

I like to think good coaches are those that give their players the maximum amount of chances to win a game. They can't make the play for them on the field but they can create more opportunities for players to make plays. In this case our coaches did exactly that. They gave the D a chance to win the game by making 4 stops from the 1 (small % of probability but still a chance nonetheless) and then gave the O a chance to win or tie it by putting together one last scoring drive. To me, two chances is better than one.
Using the Timouts was the right call. Allowing 30 seconds to run off before making the decision was inexcusable. Maybe with another 30 seconds of time Love makes a better decision on that play. Who knows but that's what bugged me.

The bottom line was time and time again the Aggies failed to make a big play while Wake came through every time when backed against the wall. It should have been a 21-28 point win. This team is coming together and even the veterans haven't been involved in a lot of closed games. CSU and Boise I guess. I think they'll learn. We'll see.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 5th, 2019, 4:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
My problem isn't with the kind of run. It's that we changed who we are.
Why are we letting the clock tell us we need to be a different team than we are every other time we have the ball? On only two other occasions in the game did we run more than two plays in a row (both three plays in a row, and one of those times resulted in a 3-and-out). We're not a power-run team. We're a team that keeps the defense off balance, mixing it up. We're a team that rarely runs more than two plays in a row. My problem is that we let the numbers on the clock change the way we mentally approach the game. I'd prefer that we stay who we are.

If we're a power-run team and that's what we do all the time, great, keep doing it. But we're not and the clock doesn't change who we are so let's not change the way we think and suddenly call plays differently because the clock says so. If we lose staying true to who we are, so be it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
aggies22AGGZILLA

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 5th, 2019, 4:44 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 4:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

Why are we letting the clock tell us we need to be a different team than we are every other time we have the ball? On only two other occasions in the game did we run more than two plays in a row (both three plays in a row, and one of those times resulted in a 3-and-out). We're not a power-run team. We're a team that keeps the defense off balance, mixing it up. We're a team that rarely runs more than two plays in a row. My problem is that we let the numbers on the clock change the way we mentally approach the game. I'd prefer that we stay who we are.

If we're a power-run team and that's what we do all the time, great, keep doing it. But we're not and the clock doesn't change who we are so let's not change the way we think and suddenly call plays differently because the clock says so. If we lose staying true to who we are, so be it.
I can take a stab at the mentality. Gary is a defensive coach probably more than a little skeptical in his gut about how fast this offense goes. So in his first game as his coach Love gets cocky and makes a couple of ill advised throws where he stared his receiver down costing the Aggies a score and set up another score for Wake. The instincts kick in and the Aggies go back to the safe offense approach. Without the interceptions its a 3 score lead and the point is moot, but that is my best guess for the 5 straight runs.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 5th, 2019, 4:46 pm

brownjeans wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

[I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but there are times in a game when do need to go away from what you normally do. Late in a half or game with a lead you should try and run some clock as well as be aggressive enough to ice the game. We ran some clock, but couldn't ice it. Looking back we should have been a little more aggressive on that 3rd and 4.]

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 5th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 4:46 pm
brownjeans wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but there are times in a game when do need to go away from what you normally do. Late in a half or game with a lead you should try and run some clock as well as be aggressive enough to ice the game. We ran some clock, but couldn't ice it. Looking back we should have been a little more aggressive on that 3rd and 4.
I understand the old football philosophy of running clock. That philosophy works well when paired with old-fashioned possession-controlled football. We have nothing in our offense that resembles old-fashioned possession-controlled offense. Expecting us to succeed at something we're not built to do seems like madness. It's old-school thinking without the old-school football team.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 5th, 2019, 5:54 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 7:11 pm
+1000

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 5th, 2019, 6:06 pm

By the way, this is also why I have no problem with us lining up to defend WF 1st and G from the 1. Stay true to who you are. Defend. If you get beat doing what you do best, so be it.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
USUaggie wrote:

That's still a conservative call. Not a passing play, it's a pitch, long hand-off, called so WF has to use their last time out.

That was a football version of a game winning shot in basketball and GA and Sanford decided that Love wouldn't take the shot for us.

Bad decision

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 7th, 2019, 12:43 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:06 pm
By the way, this is also why I have no problem with us lining up to defend WF 1st and G from the 1. Stay true to who you are. Defend. If you get beat doing what you do best, so be it.

Very noble. But wouldn't you rather win?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » September 7th, 2019, 1:07 pm

But, there can be a fumble or penalty. Never, ever give anything away.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » September 7th, 2019, 2:02 pm

USUaggie wrote:

Let's just get it over with right now and rename this %&^%ing forum "Cougarboard" because that's what is beginning to sound like---a bunch of ^%&^$damned couch potato, Monday morning QBs who wouldn't know a zone defense from a press man if it hit them in the (I can't express myself without swearing), second guessing the play calling of men who've been in the profession for decades, succeeded at the highest levels, watched thousands of hours of film, studied the personnel and tendencies of the other team and have actually "been there and done that". STFU and let the coaches do their job! If you want to be a Zoob (cause God knows, you're sure as hell acting the part), then head on over to Cougarboard and don't let the door hit you in the (I can't express myself without swearing) on the way out.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 3):
jeffdan25MachismoAggie19

Locked Previous topicNext topic