Bag check policy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
oleblu111
RIP

Re: Bag check policy

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 11:16 am

ususports wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 10:38 am
dyedblue wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am
NVAggie wrote:I don't disagree with what you are saying. My point is that the optics would be much worse if we had an incident and were found to have no protocols or procedures in place. It is much easier to say that we are looking at our procedures for ways to improve than to say that we are going to write a procedure to secure the stadium.
So we don't care if it is really safer. What does a clear bag accomplish? What does a smaller bag accomplish?

Why can't I carry my camera bag in with me to keep the rain/snow off it? Why can't I carry a backpack with a blanket/coat/hat/gloves in it?
I’ve heard that I will gain more wisdom as I get older, but I am not old enough for this to make sense either. But yes, people don’t care that an asinine policy doesn’t make us safer. If it creates the appearance that we are trying, that’s all that counts, even if there is a mass shooting that a clear bag policy won’t stop. It makes the same amount of sense as constantly complaining about poor attendance and support for the program, followed by telling people to not bring their kids to the games. Or telling some who doesn’t have a lot of money to buy club seats because it comes with food. I can’t wait until I age another 20-30 years so I can understand and enjoy the wisdom that is so prevalent on this board.
First of all I do not give a damn if people bring kids to games. I brought mine to games.

I do not know what the income is of posters on this board is, so I do not know what they can afford. I did find out that free snacks are given to folks in the club seats.

I have complained about poor attendance and lack of support, I made my point and tried to move on, so thanks for bringing it up.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 22nd, 2019, 12:02 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
NVAggie wrote:I don't disagree with what you are saying. My point is that the optics would be much worse if we had an incident and were found to have no protocols or procedures in place. It is much easier to say that we are looking at our procedures for ways to improve than to say that we are going to write a procedure to secure the stadium.
So we don't care if it is really safer. What does a clear bag accomplish? What does a smaller bag accomplish?

Why can't I carry my camera bag in with me to keep the rain/snow off it? Why can't I carry a backpack with a blanket/coat/hat/gloves in it?
I’ve heard that I will gain more wisdom as I get older, but I am not old enough for this to make sense either. But yes, people don’t care that an asinine policy doesn’t make us safer. If it creates the appearance that we are trying, that’s all that counts, even if there is a mass shooting that a clear bag policy won’t stop. It makes the same amount of sense as constantly complaining about poor attendance and support for the program, followed by telling people to not bring their kids to the games. Or telling some who doesn’t have a lot of money to buy club seats because it comes with food. I can’t wait until I age another 20-30 years so I can understand and enjoy the wisdom that is so prevalent on this board.
First of all I do not give a damn if people bring kids to games. I brought mine to games.

I do not know what the income is of posters on this board is, so I do not know what they can afford. I did find out that free snacks are given to folks in the club seats.

I have complained about poor attendance and lack of support, I made my point and tried to move on, so thanks for bringing it up.
You keep going to food. That isn't my issue, nor is that the only issue with this policy that does nothing to make us safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 12:10 pm

dyedblue wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 12:02 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

You keep going to food. That isn't my issue, nor is that the only issue with this policy that does nothing to make us safer

If you are talking to me. I wish USU did not need to do the clear bag policy, but they do, and I think I know why.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am

The clear bag policy is a joke. The stadium is not "secure", I mean think about how easy it would be to pass items through or over the fence in any number of places. The university does not have the staff or resources to "secure the border", if someone wanted to do something, they could, and a clear bag is not going to stop anything.

ususports

Post by ususports » August 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am

I am taking my wife to a concert at the Sandy Amphitheater soon, and to my horror, I received an email informing how dangerous my surroundings will be when they listed what people can bring into the concert:

"What Can I Bring Inside?
Permitted items:

Outside food and beverages (no outside alcohol or glass) - all beverages must be in factory-sealed containers.
Umbrellas - must be taken down once the show begins
Blankets"

The fear that someone might commit a mass murder with their bag of Doritos, or strangle thousands of people with their blanket(s) is almost making me re-think if I should go to the concert. The worst part about it is that once this does happen, the lawyers are going to be licking their chops at the lawsuit they will be able to file by pointing out what outstanding security is provided by local universities with their clear bag policy. I know I will feel so much safer at the USU games compared to the concert!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » August 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am

ususports wrote:I am taking my wife to a concert at the Sandy Amphitheater soon, and to my horror, I received an email informing how dangerous my surroundings will be when they listed what people can bring into the concert:

"What Can I Bring Inside?
Permitted items:

Outside food and beverages (no outside alcohol or glass) - all beverages must be in factory-sealed containers.
Umbrellas - must be taken down once the show begins
Blankets"

The fear that someone might commit a mass murder with their bag of Doritos, or strangle thousands of people with their blanket(s) is almost making me re-think if I should go to the concert. The worst part about it is that once this does happen, the lawyers are going to be licking their chops at the lawsuit they will be able to file by pointing out what outstanding security is provided by local universities with their clear bag policy. I know I will feel so much safer at the USU games compared to the concert!
The reason blankets and umbrellas are banned in most stafiums is that the become a hazard in an evacuation. When everyone is scrambling for the exit a dropped blanket or umbrella can cause major issues in narrower walkways and stairs. The issue is not as big a deal in an open air amphitheater. You will also notice that if you go to rock shows then studded belts, larger purses, and wallet chains can all be banned. At a sports venue or other types of shows those arent an issue, but for rock, punk, amd metal shows they have been used as weapons and caused injuries. Venue rules may seem arbitrary but the specific issues they are trying to prevent might not be evident at first blush to the average attendee.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » August 24th, 2019, 8:13 am

Now I won’t be able to smuggle in my prohibited bicycle any more....

IMO I haven’t found ‘good’ concessions anywhere. Just overpriced mediocre fare. I don’t expect Maverick or the Spectrum to be any different. My beef with concessions at both facilities is in what a pain in the a$$ it is to approach the concessions areas. Maverick is a choke point hell where it’ll take you the entire halftime just to reach concessions and most of the 3rd quarter to return to your seat. The Spectrum is barely any better. Something happens at either place and you’re screwed when crowds panic with or without a blanket, umbrella, or coffee thermos.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 24th, 2019, 9:03 am

WAaggieFan wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:13 am
Now I won’t be able to smuggle in my prohibited bicycle any more....

IMO I haven’t found ‘good’ concessions anywhere. Just overpriced mediocre fare. I don’t expect Maverick or the Spectrum to be any different. My beef with concessions at both facilities is in what a pain in the a$$ it is to approach the concessions areas. Maverick is a choke point hell where it’ll take you the entire halftime just to reach concessions and most of the 3rd quarter to return to your seat. The Spectrum is barely any better. Something happens at either place and you’re screwed when crowds panic with or without a blanket, umbrella, or coffee thermos.

We have been fortunate to have good weather at the games these last few years. I remember one year it rained or snowed nearly every game. With three November games this year at home I’m crossing my fingers our luck continues and we have good weather for most of not all games.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 24th, 2019, 9:54 am

I love my aggies, but we sure have a lot of aggie fans that complain at any change. It is 6 Saturday's a year, buck up people and make the necessary changes. Am i happy about the bag policy, no but it is not going to affect my enjoyment of going to games. So it will be hotter to bring in some hot chocolate, coffee or treats buy some at the game and call it good. If this bag policy affects anybody from coming to a game then they're just not a true fan.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111TrueBlueAggie123

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 24th, 2019, 10:38 am

bigwilly087 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am
The clear bag policy is a joke. The stadium is not "secure", I mean think about how easy it would be to pass items through or over the fence in any number of places. The university does not have the staff or resources to "secure the border", if someone wanted to do something, they could, and a clear bag is not going to stop anything.
Since moving back from the south, in the last 15 years of Aggie football I bet I have walked into the Maverick with gun 25 plus timesat games maybe 60 plus with fall/spring ball, 4th of July, highschool games. In the section I sit in I know for a fact there are at least 6 guys who have guns on them all the time. And another 10 plus that I suspect have them. All legal with a CC.

I am not even remotely close to worried about something happening. In fact if something did happen I trust the other people I know who have guns more than I do the "security" at the game.

I just do not buy into to this gun free zone crap. Criminals are cowards they look for soft targets. That is why most mass shootings happen in gun free zones.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 2):
MachismoNavyBlueAggie

rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 24th, 2019, 11:27 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 10:38 am
bigwilly087 wrote:
Since moving back from the south, in the last 15 years of Aggie football I bet I have walked into the Maverick with gun 25 plus timesat games maybe 60 plus with fall/spring ball, 4th of July, highschool games. In the section I sit in I know for a fact there are at least 6 guys who have guns on them all the time. And another 10 plus that I suspect have them. All legal with a CC.

I am not even remotely close to worried about something happening. In fact if something did happen I trust the other people I know who have guns more than I do the "security" at the game.

I just do not buy into to this gun free zone crap. Criminals are cowards they look for soft targets. That is why most mass shootings happen in gun free zones.
Thanks for this post. Passing it along to Hartwell in hopes that we can expedite getting metal detectors. It is deranged that you and others bring deadly weapons to sporting events.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
calaggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 24th, 2019, 11:54 am

I don't carry, but know several people who do. There is a vetting process to obtain a CCW permit in Utah and all other states. Consider that folks wear life jackets, ships are obliged to carry an adequate number of life boats, fire extinguishes are ubiquitous in virtually all buildings, public and private, and yes, there is that spare tire thing about ones car. What I'm saying is that none of those assets are needed, except in a crisis. Deranged,, NO Way ,,,but prepared just in case,,, YES.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
MWCFAN12

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 24th, 2019, 12:02 pm

rAggie wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 11:27 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

Thanks for this post. Passing it along to Hartwell in hopes that we can expedite getting metal detectors. It is deranged that you and others bring deadly weapons to sporting events.
Why is deranged ? If you think it is so safe that I don't need to CC why would you need metal detectors ?

ususports

Post by ususports » August 24th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
I love my aggies, but we sure have a lot of aggie fans that complain at any change. It is 6 Saturday's a year, buck up people and make the necessary changes. Am i happy about the bag policy, no but it is not going to affect my enjoyment of going to games. So it will be hotter to bring in some hot chocolate, coffee or treats buy some at the game and call it good. If this bag policy affects anybody from coming to a game then they're just not a true fan.
I am open to change, but an announced change should actually accomplish something positive. To suggest that a clear bag policy with no metal detectors is going to make the stadium any more safe than it currently is, is very naive. And if people think that a pack of fruit snacks brought in from the outside poses a terrorist threat to fans is silly (so if it doesn’t—don’t enforce it if security is your excuse for the policy). And last, anyone who thinks that a blanket dropped on the stairs at an amphitheater is less of a tripping hazard than a blanket dropped on the stairs at a football stadium is not thinking things through very clearly. The bottom line, pick a policy that accomplishes something good and don’t try to hide other intentions with a policy that makes zero sense.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
MWCFAN12

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 24th, 2019, 12:19 pm

ususports wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
I am open to change, but an announced change should actually accomplish something positive. To suggest that a clear bag policy with no metal detectors is going to make the stadium any more safe than it currently is, is very naive. And if people think that a pack of fruit snacks brought in from the outside poses a terrorist threat to fans is silly (so if it doesn’t—don’t enforce it if security is your excuse for the policy). And last, anyone who thinks that a blanket dropped on the stairs at an amphitheater is less of a tripping hazard than a blanket dropped on the stairs at a football stadium is not thinking things through very clearly. The bottom line, pick a policy that accomplishes something good and don’t try to hide other intentions with a policy that makes zero sense.
I can get on board with this. I think the bag policy is about revenue. And as far as guns in the stadium the most damage ever done with a gun there was those idiots with a potato gun out in the east parking lot in about 95 ish..

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 24th, 2019, 1:13 pm

rAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

I’ve said it twice in this thread and I’ll say it again for a third time. Utah law trumps any weapons policy USU, Hartwell, the USU PD, etc. may try to impose. If you have a valid CCW permit, you can carry in, at or during a game. If you don’t have a CCW it is illegal to carry a weapon. Period. It has been that way in Utah for about 25 years. In 2007/2008, the University of Utah tried to circumvent state law on CCWs. A district court judge agreed with the University’s CCW policy but the Utah Supreme Court reversed his decision. An interesting fallout is that in 2008 the same judge, who ruled in favor of the University, was denied confirmation by the Utah senate to the Utah Court of Appeals solely over his ruling on CCW permits at the U. The law is clear and settled on this issue for Utah.

IMO, the bag policy is about lost food revenue. So be it. I rarely buy as I have food allergies so I don’t really care except I will miss my dark almond hot chocolate “milk” I used to bring in on cold game days but life goes on.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I have no issue with ccw’s, but people who open carry are the conservative version of colored mohawks and facial piercings, just looking for some attention.

Hail Aggies!

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » August 24th, 2019, 11:24 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 1:13 pm
rAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

I’ve said it twice in this thread and I’ll say it again for a third time. Utah law trumps any weapons policy USU, Hartwell, the USU PD, etc. may try to impose. If you have a valid CCW permit, you can carry in, at or during a game. If you don’t have a CCW it is illegal to carry a weapon. Period. It has been that way in Utah for about 25 years. In 2007/2008, the University of Utah tried to circumvent state law on CCWs. A district court judge agreed with the University’s CCW policy but the Utah Supreme Court reversed his decision. An interesting fallout is that in 2008 the same judge, who ruled in favor of the University, was denied confirmation by the Utah senate to the Utah Court of Appeals solely over his ruling on CCW permits at the U. The law is clear and settled on this issue for Utah.

IMO, the bag policy is about lost food revenue. So be it. I rarely buy as I have food allergies so I don’t really care except I will miss my dark almond hot chocolate “milk” I used to bring in on cold game days but life goes on.
The USU police could not care less if you are ccw and bring a gun to the game. More power to you.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Ahbye wrote:
WasatchAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

The USU police could not care less if you are ccw and bring a gun to the game. More power to you.
Then why you always searching my pants?

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
Ahbye

Hail Aggies!

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 25th, 2019, 1:46 am

Ahbye,
Then why the clear bags? Why doesn’t USU simply state they are enforcing food policies and be upfront about it?

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » August 25th, 2019, 2:36 am

Wait. So people aren't mad that USU is doing a clear bag policy, just mad about the reasons *why* they are doing a clear bag policy??? Y'all need to re-evaluate your lives, losers.

Every major team in the country does this. But yeah, it hella sucks you have to be there a half hour early. That's so unfortunate for you.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 25th, 2019, 7:54 am

Ahbye wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 11:24 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

How dare you encourage law abiding ccw permit holders to bring weapons of mass destruction into Maverik Stadium? You should be ashamed of yourself. Aggie Fan Lives matter!
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
Ahbye

Regulator of Class

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » August 25th, 2019, 9:21 am

WasatchAggie wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 1:46 am
Ahbye,
Then why the clear bags? Why doesn’t USU simply state they are enforcing food policies and be upfront about it?
When's the last time a ccw holder shot up a place? Or, when's the last time a ccw holder stopped someone from shooting up a place? I can assure you it's not about food.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
oleblu111

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » August 25th, 2019, 9:22 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 11:40 pm
Ahbye wrote:
WasatchAggie wrote:
rAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:

Then why you always searching my pants?

It gives me an excuse to be "thorough".

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 26th, 2019, 11:53 am

He's gotta burrow to be thorough.

jamesda3asu
Has thanked: 0

Post by jamesda3asu » August 27th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Clear bag policy is also in effect at Wake for those coming to the game.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 7th, 2019, 9:59 pm

So how did security go tonight? I haven't seen any complaints.

sneed

Post by sneed » September 7th, 2019, 10:00 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:So how did security go tonight? I haven't seen any complaints.
It wasn’t enforced from what I saw.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 7th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Only at USU. We make a big deal and then do nothing.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » September 7th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Bag check was a joke. Guy looked at my wifes purse and said you're good. Never touched it.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » September 7th, 2019, 10:15 pm

It was definitely enforced. There were multiple bright orange shirts at every entrance. They were not super thorough and looked to be a bunch of unprofessional college age volunteers. But they were definitely there. Had my bag checked every time I went in. (Bout four times due to my position)

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 7th, 2019, 10:44 pm

South entrance was checked. It moved reasonably quickly. I think they're not being as strict with the rules right now and will tighten it up as it becomes less new. The ticket scanners take as long as the bag check. They never seen to work well.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 7th, 2019, 10:44 pm

They shook down my 12 year old because he was carrying a blanket but let the woman in front us with the backpack on waltz right through.

dyedblue

Bag check policy

Post by dyedblue » September 7th, 2019, 10:46 pm

I felt much safer tonight than I ever have before.

Last edited by dyedblue on September 7th, 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
BustaMcNutt

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 7th, 2019, 10:51 pm

dyedblue wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:46 pm
I felt much safer tonught than I ever have before.
TSA, bag check, etc. are designed to make the masses "feel" safe.

Locked Previous topicNext topic