Some defensive personnel changes I noticed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Some defensive personnel changes I noticed

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 8:28 am

I noticed some changes on defense at the game Saturday night. (Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong on what I saw on the field).

We started the game in our 4-2-5 base, but actually had Bond & Gilliam as the starting safeties and Lefeged was in at Nickel (in place of Grayson). Lampkin & DJ Williams were the starting corners with Woodward & Meitzenheimer at LB. The starting DL's were Te'i, Unga, Anderson, & Galeai.

We didn't spend a ton of time with that defense though. Here's where it got interesting. I noticed us switching to a 4-3 defense with Te'i moving back to LB, and also Dalton Baker playing some LB. If Te'i and Baker are very capable of playing LB and dropping in to pass coverage, I think there's an argument to made for using those guys more at LB and less at DL based off what we've seen so far.

When we made that 4-3 switch I noticed Jacoby Wildman played a lot of Defensive End and played pretty well. So did Nick Heninger. Their impact at Defensive End makes the argument even stronger, I feel, to move Te'i and Baker to LB. I also noticed Fata & Motu'apuaka getting a lot of reps at DT.

I noticed Jarrod Green getting a lot of time at Corner. Terin Adams didn't play & neither did Haney (obviously).

It's been a small sample size so far, but if we see defensive struggles moving forward into conference play I think there's an argument for switching back to what we've had relative success the past 10 years with, a 3-4 base defense.
Cash Gilliam has looked decent and could slide down to LB. You could basically have Woodward, Meitzenheimer, Te'i, Gilliam as starting LB's with Baker, Shelton, Munoz & Magalei (whenever he gets healthy?) coming in as backups.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
aggies22NVAggieUSU78

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Some defensive personnel changes I noticed

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:07 am

Heninger and Meitzenheimer played well, and Heninger impressed with his speed and tenacity. The 3-4 we have used in times past still has an attraction for me as I saw little stunting disruption from the 4 down linemen set we played from. I do wonder is 3-4 will be something we use more of against SDSU in a couple of weeks. Seems we aren't using our very good linebackers to best advantage, but I'm just a fan in the stands and not preparing the team for game day.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 9th, 2019, 9:13 am

I expect the 4 man front to continue against a run heavy SDSU team

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

GeoAg wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:13 am
As do I and every single other person. There hasn't been anywhere near a large enough sample size and results to abandon it yet.

I'm referring to the idea that down the road if we aren't seeing the type of defensive success we would hope to see, I think there's an argument based off our personnel and past success to switch it up to a 3-4.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:23 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:20 am
GeoAg wrote:
As do I and every single other person. There hasn't been anywhere near a large enough sample size and results to abandon it yet.

I'm referring to the idea that down the road if we aren't seeing the type of defensive success we would hope to see, I think there's an argument based off our personnel and past success to switch it up to a 3-4.
This is not the way football is moving as teams try to shut down spread offenses. Playing a 3-4 will get you run over by a team like Boise or Fresno.

Base defense is not as important as some are making it out to be. We’ve already shown a “multiple” approach as we’ve moved into seven-man fronts with different personnel.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 9:27 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

This is not the way football is moving as teams try to shut down spread offenses. Playing a 3-4 will get you run over by a team like Boise or Fresno.

Base defense is not as important as some are making it out to be. We’ve already shown a “multiple” approach as we’ve moved into seven-man fronts with different personnel.
If Gilliam were the 4th LB it's essentially a 3-3-5 and just creates more opportunity for disguising stunting.

Again, I'm not advocating for it. I'm simply stating that if we don't see success in the next handful of games with our defense I think there's an argument for switching.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:55 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:27 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

If Gilliam were the 4th LB it's essentially a 3-3-5 and just creates more opportunity for disguising stunting.

Again, I'm not advocating for it. I'm simply stating that if we don't see success in the next handful of games with our defense I think there's an argument for switching.
I guess I don’t understand. How do you have a 4th LB in a 3-3-5?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 10:16 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:55 am

Again, I said it's "essentially a 3-3-5". Not "is a 4th LB in a 3-3-5". As you referenced, teams are putting 5 DB's on the field to combat the spread with speed in their defense. So what I'm talking about is a way to combat the spread with a 3-4.

Let me preface this what I've stated earlier because context is important here. In the event that it's a month down the road and our defense has been struggling, I can see an argument for switching back to a 3-4. If we did so I think it makes sense to move Cash Gilliam (a larger Safety) to LB. Cash played a little LB in fall camp. So in theory it would be a 3-4 defense, but having Cash in there gives us the speed of it being a 3-3-5 basically.

It's pretty much exactly what we did last season with the 3-4 and having Roquemore as the 4th LB. Roquemore was really just a big defensive back and was a hybrid.

We're so far down a rabbit hole of hypothetical scenarios now though let's just stop because more people will chime in thinking it's been talking in absolutes and facts.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 9th, 2019, 10:30 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 10:16 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:55 am

Again, I said it's "essentially a 3-3-5". Not "is a 4th LB in a 3-3-5". As you referenced, teams are putting 5 DB's on the field to combat the spread with speed in their defense. So what I'm talking about is a way to combat the spread with a 3-4.

Let me preface this what I've stated earlier because context is important here. In the event that it's a month down the road and our defense has been struggling, I can see an argument for switching back to a 3-4. If we did so I think it makes sense to move Cash Gilliam (a larger Safety) to LB. Cash played a little LB in fall camp. So in theory it would be a 3-4 defense, but having Cash in there gives us the speed of it being a 3-3-5 basically.

It's pretty much exactly what we did last season with the 3-4 and having Roquemore as the 4th LB. Roquemore was really just a big defensive back and was a hybrid.

We're so far down a rabbit hole of hypothetical scenarios now though let's just stop because more people will chime in thinking it's been talking in absolutes and facts.
The only difference really between the 3 3 5 last year and the 4 2 5 was having 5 true DBs and not having Tipa drop to the flat once in a while. If our 3 young safeties are too good to keep off the field I think we'll see a lot more of that along with 4-3 looks against run heavy teams too. I think the comments about this D being stale or predictable are unfair at this point. We had blitzes off the edge and A gap stuff a lot the last game and Ena is switching things around.

I think the Aggies do need Tipa to get it going though. Whether we are in a 3 or 4 man front his pass rush is the difference between being bend and hope not to break and damn hard to deal with. I think we are going to see a lot of surprise improvement to the secondary as playmakers get established along with continuity.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 9th, 2019, 11:39 am

A little off topic but semi-related: Anyone else a little surprised we have not seen Noah Young yet at LB? Did I miss an injury here? He is one of the guys that GA and Ena both called out by name in the Fall as being a high impact player that they were really impressed with. We went pretty deep in the Stony Brook game and still didn't see him.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I don't care much about the scheme we employee. I just want the best players out on the field. They give us the best chance to win. If that is the 1-3-7 or 6-2-3, I don't care.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 9th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Aglicious wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 11:39 am
A little off topic but semi-related: Anyone else a little surprised we have not seen Noah Young yet at LB? Did I miss an injury here? He is one of the guys that GA and Ena both called out by name in the Fall as being a high impact player that they were really impressed with. We went pretty deep in the Stony Brook game and still didn't see him.
I was told by his JuCo coach that Noah is really raw and that he really has a lot to learn about the intricacies of football. His high school program in Florida wasn't coached that well and so as far as football knowledge goes he is behind. HOWEVER, his coach also told me that once he spends a year in our strength and conditioning program and he learns the scheme he will become a very good player for us. When Noah committed to us back in late April/early May, his coach told me that Noah really would benefit from a redshirt year.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AgliciousFloridaAggie13

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » September 9th, 2019, 12:54 pm

They were not going to show much to Stony Brook as they didn’t need to. If it still is like this after SDSU then perhaps folks have something to gripe about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 19th, 2019, 8:43 am

I thought it was interesting to note that on this week's depth chart Hale Motu'apuaka is 3rd. He's listed behind Caden Andersen and on the other side Fata is ahead of him too. With Leilua being out for the year and Unga being susceptible to injury, I just keep waiting to see Uasike switch back to DT.

Lampkin is getting the start at corner. It's pretty bad when a freshman who was playing WR 3 weeks before our 1st game is now starting.

I also keep wondering about Maika Magalei's injury and when we'll see him again at LB.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 19th, 2019, 9:04 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 8:43 am
I thought it was interesting to note that on this week's depth chart Hale Motu'apuaka is 3rd. He's listed behind Caden Andersen and on the other side Fata is ahead of him too. With Leilua being out for the year and Unga being susceptible to injury, I just keep waiting to see Uasike switching back to DT.

Lampkin is getting the start at corner. It's pretty bad when a freshman who was playing WR 3 weeks before our 1st game is now starting.

I also keep wondering about Maika Magalei's injury and when we'll see him again at LB.
Mo is not happy about the switch to offensive line but I would not expect to see a move back to defensive tackle. The only way I see this happening is if we lose another player to injury.

Cam Lampkin was a VERY good cornerback in a VERY tough league in Texas. There's probably a pretty good chance he's faced better WRs last season in high school than he'll see on many Saturday afternoons. Although the move was a surprise, him succeeding at the spot is not.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
JFW_AGGIES

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » September 19th, 2019, 9:10 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
I thought it was interesting to note that on this week's depth chart Hale Motu'apuaka is 3rd. He's listed behind Caden Andersen and on the other side Fata is ahead of him too. With Leilua being out for the year and Unga being susceptible to injury, I just keep waiting to see Uasike switch back to DT.

I disagree with your take on Lampkin he's been really good and is only going to better. We have a history of FR CB's coming in and having an immediate impact. Jalen Davis and Nevin Lawson are prime examples, and both are playing in the NFL.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 19th, 2019, 9:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Aglicious wrote:
I was told by his JuCo coach that Noah is really raw and that he really has a lot to learn about the intricacies of football. His high school program in Florida wasn't coached that well and so as far as football knowledge goes he is behind. HOWEVER, his coach also told me that once he spends a year in our strength and conditioning program and he learns the scheme he will become a very good player for us. When Noah committed to us back in late April/early May, his coach told me that Noah really would benefit from a redshirt year.
'22, where did he play in Florida? Is he the kid from Gulf Breeze?

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » September 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 9:16 am
aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Yes he is from Gulf Breeze.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 19th, 2019, 9:30 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 9:21 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Thanks! Just a bit surprised he had lackluster coaching in HS. Football is a religion down here.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » September 19th, 2019, 9:41 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 9:30 am
jeffdan25 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Thanks! Just a bit surprised he had lackluster coaching in HS. Football is a religion down here.
Correct me if i'm wrong 22, but i think he only played one or two years of football in high school. So it's more the fact he hasn't fully developed proper technique, and understanding than lack of coaching.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

[where is this week's depth chart located at, I would like to look at it?]

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 19th, 2019, 11:21 am

https://utahstateaggies.com/documents/2 ... df?id=7133

X-WR 11 Savon Scarver (5-11, 180, Jr., 2L)
12 Ajani Carter (6-0, 185, Fr., HS)
81 Tim Patrick Jr. (6-0, 190, Fr., RS)

H-WR 16 Jordan Nathan (5-8, 180, Jr., 2L)
17 Taylor Compton (5-8, 175, Jr., 1L)
13 Deven Thompkins (5-7, 160, So., 1L)

LT 72 Alfred Edwards (6-7, 310, So., 1L)
78 Jacob South (6-5, 295, Fr., RS)

LG 75 Ty Shaw (6-4, 300, Jr., 1L)
64 Heneli Avendano (6-3, 290, Fr., RS)

C 58 Demytrick Ali’fua (6-3, 305, Jr., 2L)
74 Chandler Dolphin (6-3, 295, So., SQ)

RG 65 Karter Shaw (6-4, 305, Fr., RS)
66 Mohelika Uasike (6-1, 305, R-Jr., 2L)

RT 77 Andy Koch (6-6, 290, Fr., RS)
73 Kyler Hack (6-4, 300, So., RS)

Y-TE 87 Caleb Repp (6-5, 225, Sr., TR)
-or- 88 Carson Terrell (6-5, 245, Jr., 2L)
89 Travis Boman (6-4, 245, Jr., 1L)

Z-WR 80 Siaosi Mariner (6-2, 195, Sr., TR)
83 Derek Wright (6-1, 185, Jr., JC)
19 Sean Carter (6-2, 195, Jr., JC)

RB 1 Gerold Bright (5-10, 190, Sr., 3L)
20 Jaylen Warren (5-8, 215, Jr., JC)
34 Riley Burt (6-1, 215, Sr., TR)

QB 10 Jordan Love (6-4, 225, Jr., 2L)
3 Henry Colombi (6-2, 205, So., 1L)
5 Cooper Legas (6-2, 205, Fr., HS)

DE 51 Justus Te’i (6-3, 240, R-Jr., 2L)
93 Jacoby Wildman (6-2, 250, Sr., 3L)
-or- 97 Jake Pitcher (6-3, 260, Jr., SQ)

DT 91 Devon Anderson (6-1, 295, Sr., 2L)
94 Caden Andersen (6-3, 285, Jr., 1L)
92 Hale Motu’apuaka (6-2, 285, Fr., RS)

DT 96 Christopher Unga (6-0, 295, Sr., 3L)
90 Ritisoni Fata (6-1, 295, Jr., 2L)

DE 10 Tipa Galeai (6-5, 235, Sr., 1L)
24 Dalton Baker (6-5, 245, Sr., 3L)
-or- 42 Nick Heninger (6-2, 245, Jr., TR)

ILB 9 David Woodward (6-2, 235, Jr., 2L)
41 Elijah Shelton (6-1, 230, Fr., RS)

ILB 33 Kevin Meitzenheimer (6-0, 230, Jr., 2L)
38 Eric Munoz (6-0, 230, Jr., RS)

NKL 21 Andre Grayson (5-8, 175, So., 1L)
25 Jarrod Green (5-11, 180, So., 1L)

CB 7 DJ Williams (5-9, 180, Sr., 1L)
23 Dominic Tatum (6-2, 180, Fr., HS)

S 4 Shaq Bond (5-10, 195, Jr., 1L)
8 Braxton Gunther (5-10, 185, Jr., 1L)

S 3 Troy Lefeged Jr. (5-11, 190, Jr., JC)
5 Cash Gilliam (5-11, 200, Jr., JC)

CB 18 Cam Lampkin (5-9, 170, Fr., HS)
6 Cameron Haney (5-10, 185, Sr., 3L)

P 89 Aaron Dalton (6-4, 215, R-Sr., 3L)
98 Christopher Bartolic (6-0, 195, Jr., JC)

PK/K 62 Dominik Eberle (6-2, 190, Sr., 2L)
59 Connor Coles (6-0, 190, R-So., SQ)

LS 57 Brandon Pada (5-10, 210, Jr., 1L)
50 Jesse Vasquez (5-11, 225, Fr., HS)

HLD 89 Aaron Dalton (6-4, 215, R-Sr., 3L)
26 Chase Nelson (5-10, 200, Jr., 1L)

PR 16 Jordan Nathan (5-8, 180, Jr., 2L)

KOR 11 Savon Scarver (5-11, 180, Jr., 2L)
21 Andre Grayson (5-8, 175, So., 1L)
1 Gerold Bright (5-10, 190, Sr., 3L)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 19th, 2019, 11:21 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

[where is this week's depth chart located at, I would like to look at it?]
It's on page 4 on this link. https://utahstateaggies.com/documents/2 ... df?id=7133

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 19th, 2019, 11:39 am

It's interesting that Taylor Compton is ahead of Thompkins. In my opinion Thompkins needs to get the ball more often as he has so much explosiveness. Sean Carter was reported to have such a good camp, but I have not seen anything out of him. Good to see Haney back in the 2 deep as I think he will be really solid.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 19th, 2019, 11:43 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 9:41 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 9:30 am
jeffdan25 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong 22, but i think he only played one or two years of football in high school. So it's more the fact he hasn't fully developed proper technique, and understanding than lack of coaching.
Yes, he did only play two years of high school ball. He was actually a wrestler first and he really enjoyed competitive weight lifting. As far as how his high school experience is concerned, all I know is what his JuCo coach told me.

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 19th, 2019, 11:44 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm
I don't care much about the scheme we employee. I just want the best players out on the field. They give us the best chance to win. If that is the 1-3-7 or 6-2-3, I don't care.
The only problem with the 1-3-7 is finding a good nose tackle who can anchor it. Competing with the SEC schools for those guys is tough.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm

USU78 wrote:https://utahstateaggies.com/documents/2 ... df?id=7133

Thompkins needs to be higher than 3rd string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 19th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Al-O-Meter wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 11:44 am
NVAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm
The only problem with the 1-3-7 is finding a good nose tackle who can anchor it. Competing with the SEC schools for those guys is tough.

That’s pretty good. Not quite as good as the BYU uniform but still pretty good.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » September 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm

2004AG wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm

No kidding. That is hard to understand. I was expecting after his performances the past two games he would break in to a starting role. Instead he moves back to third string? To me he has been our best receiver so far.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 19th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Thompkins should either be starting or sharing minutes with the starters. Insane.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

treesap32 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Thompkins should either be starting or sharing minutes with the starters. Insane.
Just because the weekly cookie-cutter depth chart shows that Thompkins is listed behind Compton doesn't necessarily mean that's the case.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 19th, 2019, 3:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Just because the weekly cookie-cutter depth chart shows that Thompkins is listed behind Compton doesn't necessarily mean that's the case.
I just sit here quiet, '22....and sometimes watch it all unfold

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » September 19th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Chatman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm
2004AG wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm

No kidding. That is hard to understand. I was expecting after his performances the past two games he would break in to a starting role. Instead he moves back to third string? To me he has been our best receiver so far.
Siosi is actually considered our top receiver right now.....

Devin & Jordan also play outside in special pkgs and that is how they will be able to stay on the field more.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 19th, 2019, 3:48 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm
treesap32 wrote:
I agree completely. The freak out over Thompkins is unwarranted. You can't put a lot of stock in these depth charts.

Which why I brought up the movement on Hale so interesting. Typically you don't see that type of move reflected on this. Maybe he's dealing with an injury or something though I guess.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 19th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Well Roy, you started the whole mess.

Locked Previous topicNext topic