SDSU Critical to Win?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

SDSU Critical to Win?

Post by JSHarvey » September 19th, 2019, 7:26 pm

It seems to me that if we lose this game the chances of getting the MWCC are essentially nil. We would likely need to win out AND SDSU (or someone else) would need to beat Boise just for us to get in the championship game - and then we would need to beat SDSU (or whoever the champion is on that side of the conference).

Seems like the first conference game this year is both a major milestone *and* a major test of our team.

I think we do win it, but historically it's been a tough game for us - hoping we can turn this around this year!

Go Aggies!

(I'm also bored and trying to pass the time until game day!)
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
USU78

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: SDSU Critical to Win?

Post by BigBlueDart » September 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Actually, if we lose to SDSU, but then will the rest of our conference games, we will be in the CCG. We will have given a lot to each of the other Mountain Division teams, and or wins over then would be the tie breaker against any team whose only loss was to us.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 3):
JSHarveythegreendalegelfsam tingey

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » September 19th, 2019, 8:37 pm

We gotta win this one if we want the conference crown. Full stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 19th, 2019, 8:44 pm

SDSU won't beat Boise cause Boise gets to miss them this year. The last two years were our turn to miss them, now this year and next is Boise's turn to miss SDSU while we have to miss San Jose State.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 19th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I mean, mathematically we likely don’t have to win against SDSU to win the conference, but realistically, if we can’t beat SDSU, we aren’t likely good enough to win the conference.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
ParadiseAggieaggies22BLUERUFiO

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » September 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Actually, if we lose to SDSU, but then will the rest of our conference games, we will be in the CCG. We will have given a lot to each of the other Mountain Division teams, and or wins over then would be the tie breaker against any team whose only loss was to us.
I had a brain freeze - you are correct.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 19th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Yes. IMO, it is critical. Lose and division title very unlikely. Not to mention bowl eligibility starts to look really scary.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 20th, 2019, 7:14 am

Every game is critical. Games against conference foes are especially critical. Full stop.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 20th, 2019, 8:08 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Spot on post sambone. We can stroke ourselves about this not being a MUST WIN, but that won't change much as far as our trending "vanilla defense" has displayed. Yeah, I know about sample size, but a trend is a trend, and playing a key conference game with a perennial league power isn't just business as usual.

I would love to be eating crow after Saturday night, but our defense shows me only that outstanding athletic talent can be squandered.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 20th, 2019, 8:11 am

This is absolutely a must win. This game sets the tone for the rest of the conference season. Lose and we're playing catch-up the rest of the year. As for those of us who are worried about a "vanilla" defense, not gonna happen. Coach Andersen and the boys know how big this one is.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
El SapoBLUERUFiOnewtonianblue

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 20th, 2019, 8:57 am

I want the team to go in with a "must-win" mentality. If we lose, though, I still want them to keep fighting for the Division title.

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieaggie » September 20th, 2019, 9:12 am

If we lose, I want us to tank the rest of the year, so we can get a high draft pick. Full stop.
These users thanked the author aggieaggie for the post (total 2):
treesap32sam tingey

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 20th, 2019, 9:22 am

SDSU is sitting comfortably at 3-0 with few worries in the world. We need this game. We usually face them after they've lost to an FCS school or something weird like that. We're the one's who are hungry, and we have the weapons to make it happen!!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 20th, 2019, 9:23 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:11 am
This is absolutely a must win. This game sets the tone for the rest of the conference season. Lose and we're playing catch-up the rest of the year. As for those of us who are worried about a "vanilla" defense, not gonna happen. Coach Andersen and the boys know how big this one is.
:cheers:

You can look at the SD game a couple of ways. In terms of our overall record, or in terms of our overall strength as a team. As a fan you kinda know in your gut when you've been knocked out. The loss to Wake Forrest was horrific but it wasn't a knock out blow. People can argue the same about the SD game, but a win or loss against one of our conference contenders is much more important to our program and our team confidence than just a number in the win or loss column.

When we win, I prey that GA doesn't crow like Wells did after we beat Boise. Act like we expected it.

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
As for those of us who are worried about a "vanilla" defense, not gonna happen. Coach Andersen and the boys know how big this one is.
With two weeks to game plan, I’m sure this is correct. If it is vanilla, it is also going to have chocolate syrup, rainbow sprinkles, nuts, whip cream, 4 cherries, gummy bears, coconut shavings, 2 different colors of juice poppers, and a random sour patch kid (but just one).
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post (total 3):
AgMan21LarryTheAggienewtonianblue

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 20th, 2019, 9:30 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:08 am
sambonethegreat wrote:

Spot on post sambone. We can stroke ourselves about this not being a MUST WIN, but that won't change much as far as our trending "vanilla defense" has displayed. Yeah, I know about sample size, but a trend is a trend, and playing a key conference game with a perennial league power isn't just business as usual.

I would love to be eating crow after Saturday night, but our defense shows me only that outstanding athletic talent can be squandered.
I guess I don't get the vanilla D. The Aggies first game they played a real weird RPO that required a lot of D-line discipline and slowed down our ends. Yeah the secondary got beat. In the second game the opponent averaged 3 yards a play even with the key first string guys out by the half. A blitz off the edge forced a pick in that game. Of course it was going to be somewhat vanilla.

Look for Tipa to have a monster game and shut everyone up. He's the ultimate key to not only his own pressure but making the stunts and blitzes more effective. The 4 2 5 scheme is effective and adaptable. I see a lot more 4 4 3 this game though with SDSU bringing in an extra TE and power backfield. Its Woody time for sure. Dbs need to stay at home on the play action and the Aggies will be all right.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 20th, 2019, 9:43 am

Al-O-Meter wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:25 am
aggies22 wrote:
As for those of us who are worried about a "vanilla" defense, not gonna happen. Coach Andersen and the boys know how big this one is.
With two weeks to game plan, I’m sure this is correct. If it is vanilla, it is also going to have chocolate syrup, rainbow sprinkles, nuts, whip cream, 4 cherries, gummy bears, coconut shavings, 2 different colors of juice poppers, and a random sour patch kid (but just one).
:golfclap:

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 20th, 2019, 10:51 am

hickaggie wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:30 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

I guess I don't get the vanilla D. The Aggies first game they played a real weird RPO that required a lot of D-line discipline and slowed down our ends. Yeah the secondary got beat. In the second game the opponent averaged 3 yards a play even with the key first string guys out by the half. A blitz off the edge forced a pick in that game. Of course it was going to be somewhat vanilla.

Look for Tipa to have a monster game and shut everyone up. He's the ultimate key to not only his own pressure but making the stunts and blitzes more effective. The 4 2 5 scheme is effective and adaptable. I see a lot more 4 4 3 this game though with SDSU bringing in an extra TE and power backfield. Its Woody time for sure. Dbs need to stay at home on the play action and the Aggies will be all right.
Trouble we've had with SD in the past has been our line play. Last meeting SD overpowered us on both sides of the ball. This game comes down to our OL and our DL. IMHO Our guys up front have been solid so far. Our players have done a good job.

Our coaching? Questionable, especially on defense and end of game decisions. No surprise those critical decisions at the end aren't GA's strength. So, if it's a tight game, history says we gotta give SD the edge.

So it won't be close, we control this one from the start to the finish

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 20th, 2019, 11:44 am

If we want to win the conference for me this is a must win. Sure if we lose we can win the rest of the conference games and be in the championship game. I just don't see us winning at AF, Fresno and Boise if we lose tomorrow night. Now if we win nothing is guaranteed, but I would like our chances. I do think the team is going to be ready and the coaches go all out with defensive pressures, aggressive offensive plays etc. I agree that the play of the OL/DL will be some of the big keys. Coach Long always has good O-line and D-line. It is time to put that streak to bed.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
El SapoJSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 20th, 2019, 12:43 pm

It is a critical game for sure. It will be a tough game to win. I don’t think we have seen what this team can be in the first two games of the year. I hope tomorrow sheds more light on the potential of this team.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 20th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I think our Oline is well suited to handle the somewhat smaller but fast defensive line that SDSU will throw out there, especially in pass protection. This Oline group seems to be more long and athletic than some others we’ve had in the past.
On the other side of the ball I’m still a bit worried if our front 7 can hold up against their power run game. We haven’t in the past but I think we are better equipped this time. Look for Woody to be in on a lot of tackles.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 20th, 2019, 1:14 pm

I don't know what juice poppers are but I looked them up and they look gross.

"Juice Poppers are a liquid, juice-flavored center encased in a thin membrane made from seaweed extract" hopefully this is the wrong "juice popper"

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 20th, 2019, 1:22 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:43 pm
It is a critical game for sure. It will be a tough game to win. I don’t think we have seen what this team can be in the first two games of the year. I hope tomorrow sheds more light on the potential of this team.
Yes, you are right on here NV, a major evaluation game for our team.... I have concerns about our defense,,bland,,,,but I hope things change to show us a more a disruptive performance like we've appreciated in previous seasons.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » September 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:50 pm
…. Look for Woody to be in on a lot of tackles.
You're really going out on a limb there, aren't you. ;)
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
sam tingey

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 20th, 2019, 1:37 pm

El Sapo wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 10:51 am
hickaggie wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 9:30 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

Trouble we've had with SD in the past has been our line play. Last meeting SD overpowered us on both sides of the ball. This game comes down to our OL and our DL. IMHO Our guys up front have been solid so far. Our players have done a good job.

Our coaching? Questionable, especially on defense and end of game decisions. No surprise those critical decisions at the end aren't GA's strength. So, if it's a tight game, history says we gotta give SD the edge.

So it won't be close, we control this one from the start to the finish
SDSU has owned the LOS vs. the Aggies every time they have played in the last 10 years. I think that changes this game and it had better. If they are able to pound us in the 4 man front the game will go like every game with them. If they do that I think I would also be on board with questioning the utility of a 4 man front base D. The Aggies are supposedly built to stop power with a deep experienced line, an all american in the middle, and solid tackling safeties. They just need to come out and force double team blocks, meet the FB in the backfield, and blow up the TB every play. Can't ever let SDSU get downhill.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:14 pm

"Juice Poppers are a liquid, juice-flavored center encased in a thin membrane made from seaweed extract" hopefully this is the wrong "juice popper"
:noidea: They're actually pretty good. Like a big fruity fish egg. There's a burst of flavor. :lol:

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 20th, 2019, 2:05 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:14 pm

:noidea: They're actually pretty good. Like a big fruity fish egg. There's a burst of flavor. :lol:
Nailed it! They taste great but totally look like fishing bait.

To me the funny thing about all the worries of vanilla defense are what the USU defense is. It is a sometimes 4-3 but usually a 4-2-5 that occasionally morphs into a 3-3-5. If you guys think a 4-3/4-2-5/3-3-5 morphing defense is “vanilla”, I’ve got to ask what you all feed your cows.

"VANILLA"
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
AgMan21

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Attacking the proper gap(s) will be critical for Woody in order to properly explode on impact, leaving a lasting impression on everyone involved, including the ball carrier, and satisfying those around him.

But to do it 15+ times in one night? Wow!

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 20th, 2019, 3:04 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Smokin Joe wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Attacking the proper gap(s) will be critical for Woody in order to properly explode on impact, leaving a lasting impression on everyone involved, including the ball carrier, and satisfying those around him.

But to do it 15+ times in one night? Wow!
Not gonna say it.
Not gonna say it.
Not gonna say it.

These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
Al-O-MeterFloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic