If we were to beat LSU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

If we were to beat LSU

Post by NowhereLandAggie » September 29th, 2019, 5:25 pm

It would put us in a NY6 bowl driver's seat and we would be ranked in the top 15.

Win out (which we would have to be in a NY6 bowl) and we would likely be top 10 by season's end. This assumes we beat Boise as well, which we would have to do.

Purely hypothetical? Yes. Fun to speculate? I guess that is up to you to decide.

While unlikely, they have held with Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and others in the Andersen era. Not sure it is as unlikely as we think.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

AgMac

Re: If we were to beat LSU

Post by AgMac » September 29th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Crazier things have happened.

Just not to the Aggies.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
918AGG

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 29th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hell will have officially frozen over.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 29th, 2019, 5:47 pm

After watching the CSU game yesterday I'm not sure about much of the offense, especially with the center to Q B exchanges. Frankly, the team looked out of sync and a bit beaten up from the SDSU game plus we are thin at running back this season.

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » September 29th, 2019, 5:52 pm

LSU looks like a legitimate playoff team this year. Hoping for 0 injuries.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 29th, 2019, 5:58 pm

LSU is relaxed from their bye week and will completely over look us. Will that matter?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 29th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Let’s just try and finish a drive.

Is Gary playing 4-D chess?

Make us barely able to beat CSU to catch LSU off guard?

Or do we have significant issues that LSU is likely to exploit?

Which is more likely?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 29th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 5:59 pm
Let’s just try and finish a drive.

Is Gary playing 4-D chess?

Make us barely able to beat CSU to catch LSU off guard?

Or do we have significant issues that LSU is likely to exploit?

Which is more likely?
He is a stay-bull genius

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm

If we simply beat LSU we aren't jumping into the top 15. It would take trouncing them to do that. Like absolute humiliation trouncing. But a simple win would get us in the top 25.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 29th, 2019, 8:25 pm

If we were to win, I would give my left nut.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Usu0505AggieFBObsession

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 30th, 2019, 8:40 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 6:13 pm
If we simply beat LSU we aren't jumping into the top 15. It would take trouncing them to do that. Like absolute humiliation trouncing. But a simple win would get us in the top 25.
Agreed. I think beating them would hurt LSU more than it would help us. They would drop to 15, and we would maybe get to 20 or so. Then it would depend on how the rest of the season went from there.

Aggies All the Way!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 30th, 2019, 9:07 am

Yup, a win doesn't vault us into the Top 15. Maybe the Top 25 at best. It will be considered a fluke game. LSU has so much more to lose than we do. They will be ready to go. I am concerned that our injuries may be too much for us to overcome, but we just need to compete.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 11:00 am

Now for the real pipe dream...

If we were to upset LSU and win out till Boise comes to Logan, I think we might get College Gameday. Wake would need to keep winning with their only loss to Clemson in a close game also LSU would have to keep doing well and not implode. Boise would have to be undefeated. But the game that I think gets gameday is Penn State @ Ohio State. Obviously that is going to be favored but if they go to OSU earlier in the year, we could steal it. 10-0 BSU (~#10) @ 9-1 USU (~#15). Can you imagine? That's my long shot dream.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
ThunderAggie

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » September 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm

I freaking love this thread!! If we were to win, we would forgive every other loss we have ever had against P5 times. Crazier things have happened. They will be overlooking us and I think the team is wanting to compete and prove how good they can be. One thing for sure is LSU has definitely allowed teams to score on them. I think the real question is how banged up/injured are we and are our DBs up to the task. Their QB is legit. Here's hoping to USU 54 LSU 48 :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 30th, 2019, 1:44 pm

So I have been watching LSU all year to give a good unbiased projection. First thing I think we match up well against them. Our defense is use to playing against a quality QB in JL each week so Joe isn't going to suprise our D. I think he makes smart decisions but he doesn't do a lot of going throw progression throws since they have played against some really weak D. I think their D is very suspect. They have a great front 4 a little better than WF but nothing our boys can't handle. They have a true fresh starting on one CB #24 that is great in man to man and getting PBU but is very undisiplined and terrible in open field tackling. We should run lots of bubble screens and RB flares to his side. Their safety play is decent. WF has better WR than LSU. Joe is really good throwing in the midsle of the field and that is where most D's have left open, why I don't know. Overall I think our D is better than theirs and their O is better than ours because they are up to speed with eachother. I still dtick with the fact that we win by 4. 41 to 38

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 8:25 pm
If we were to win, I would give my left nut.
You wouldn't even owe your left nut, or your right for that matter. If we use all the karma we've stored from all the other P5 money game heartbreaks, we should win by 4 tds.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 30th, 2019, 1:48 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 9:07 am
Yup, a win doesn't vault us into the Top 15. Maybe the Top 25 at best. It will be considered a fluke game. LSU has so much more to lose than we do. They will be ready to go. I am concerned that our injuries may be too much for us to overcome, but we just need to compete.
It should, but rankings are bull****. That's why the half the PAC12 is still ranked.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:48 pm
NVAggie wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 9:07 am
It should, but rankings are bull****. That's why the half the PAC12 is still ranked.
1. No it shouldn't. 1 good win isn't proof that you are a top 15 team in the country. We have looked good but the rankings shouldn't be so wildly reactionary. Or a close win over Air Force a couple weeks later would drop us out of the top 25.

2. 1 loss Oregon, Washington, Utah, and ASU belong in the top 25. Saying that they don't is dumb.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:44 pm
So I have been watching LSU all year to give a good unbiased projection. First thing I think we match up well against them. Our defense is use to playing against a quality QB in JL each week so Joe isn't going to suprise our D. I think he makes smart decisions but he doesn't do a lot of going throw progression throws since they have played against some really weak D. I think their D is very suspect. They have a great front 4 a little better than WF but nothing our boys can't handle. They have a true fresh starting on one CB #24 that is great in man to man and getting PBU but is very undisiplined and terrible in open field tackling. We should run lots of bubble screens and RB flares to his side. Their safety play is decent. WF has better WR than LSU. Joe is really good throwing in the midsle of the field and that is where most D's have left open, why I don't know. Overall I think our D is better than theirs and their O is better than ours because they are up to speed with eachother. I still dtick with the fact that we win by 4. 41 to 38

Bybs, there are treatment centers available for alcohol addiction. If you need help we can find you some, my friend.

We match up well with LSU in the same way that a deer matches up well with a mountain lion.

"Their safety play is decent." They have the best safety in the United States, Grant Delpit. He is sure to be a first round pick.

"They have played some really weak defenses." They have beat the living hell out of every defense they have played so far, including Texas, which has more top-tier talent than almost anyone in their secondary.

"I think our D is better than theirs, and their O is better than ours." They are rated 35th in defense per SP+ to our 33rd, so yes we are a little bit better per the advanced stats. However, they are ranked 2nd on offense to our 75th. We effectively have the same quality of defense and their offense is only behind Oklahoma (you might've heard, they are pretty good at scoring).

I love the Aggies. I am going to this game and I'm going to cheer until my throat is hoarse. I will enjoy the game and the atmosphere. We are going to lose this game. I'd love to be wrong.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:

Bybs, there are treatment centers available for alcohol addiction. If you need help we can find you some, my friend.

We match up well with LSU in the same way that a deer matches up well with a mountain lion.

"Their safety play is decent." They have the best safety in the United States, Grant Delpit. He is sure to be a first round pick.

"They have played some really weak defenses." They have beat the living hell out of every defense they have played so far, including Texas, which has more top-tier talent than almost anyone in their secondary.

"I think our D is better than theirs, and their O is better than ours." They are rated 35th in defense per SP+ to our 33rd, so yes we are a little bit better per the advanced stats. However, they are ranked 2nd on offense to our 75th. We effectively have the same quality of defense and their offense is only behind Oklahoma (you might've heard, they are pretty good at scoring).

I love the Aggies. I am going to this game and I'm going to cheer until my throat is hoarse. I will enjoy the game and the atmosphere. We are going to lose this game. I'd love to be wrong.
Pretty sure you might have been they one amongst others that called me out for predicting a win at Provo when they were ranked 15 at the time too just saying. Having a draft pick safety doesn't magically make the other safety a draft pick as well. They great graded together. So yes safety play os decent.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:27 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:

Pretty sure you might have been they one amongst others that called me out for predicting a win at Provo when they were ranked 15 at the time too just saying. Having a draft pick safety doesn't magically make the other safety a draft pick as well. They great graded together. So yes safety play os decent.

If you predicted a BYU win in Provo five years ago and I doubted you and we won, then we should do this every week!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
:headscratch:
I wasn't a math major, but I think the difference between 41 and 38 is 3.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 30th, 2019, 7:01 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:
Well thats what I get for using my phone. Stick and 3

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post:
brownjeans

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » September 30th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 7:01 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Bybs25 wrote:
Well thats what I get for using my phone. Stick and 3

I just don't see us putting up 41 on LSU. I think the only way we win is if we keep this low scoring. I think if we do win, it will be more like 27-24 or so.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » September 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I think we could put up 41 and win, as long as we can get a pick size or two. Maybe a scoop and score or return a couple kick offs/ punt returns (if we can get some stops)

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm

It wouldn't exactly be shocking. After all:

"AGGIES vs. POWER 5 OPPONENTS
• In Gary Andersen's five years as Utah State's head coach, the Aggies have been very competitive against Power 5 opponents. In 2009, USU lost at Texas A&M, 38-30. In 2010, the Aggies lost at No. 7 Oklahoma, 31-24. In 2011, USU lost at defending national champion and No. 19 Auburn, 42-38. In 2012, USU defeated Utah, 27-20, at home in overtime, and lost at No. 22 Wisconsin, 16-14. And this year, USU lost at Wake Forest, 38-35. "

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 30th, 2019, 9:44 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm

• In Gary Andersen's five years as Utah State's head coach, the Aggies have been very competitive against Power 5 opponents. In 2009, USU lost at Texas A&M, 38-30. In 2010, the Aggies lost at No. 7 Oklahoma, 31-24. In 2011, USU lost at defending national champion and No. 19 Auburn, 42-38. In 2012, USU defeated Utah, 27-20, at home in overtime, and lost at No. 22 Wisconsin, 16-14. And this year, USU lost at Wake Forest, 38-35. "
If the Aggies weren't so depleted in the secondary and so young on the offensive line I would be more optimistic. But yeah, Love could get hot and a few things go wrong for the Tigers and it could be a ball game. I expect the Aggies to come out spitting nails in any event just based on Gary's past history and the confidence of this team.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
USU78

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 1st, 2019, 8:41 am

USU78 wrote:

Don't do this to me.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
USU78

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » October 1st, 2019, 8:43 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Don't do this to me.
That Oklahoma team was better than the current LSU team. Question is are we better this year than the 2010 team.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 1st, 2019, 8:46 am

USU78 wrote:

OKAggie-
remember that dude who wanted to bet me that they'd clean our clock? Man I wish I had put up the fifty. He sure went quiet after about mid 2nd quarter

I can't believe that's been 9 years ago...
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
USU78

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 1st, 2019, 8:48 am

I think that game is on YouTube somewhere.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 1st, 2019, 9:59 am

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 1st, 2019, 10:34 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 7:12 pm

I just don't see us putting up 41 on LSU. I think the only way we win is if we keep this low scoring. I think if we do win, it will be more like 27-24 or so.
We're not going to change the style of offense just because we're playing LSU. The game is going to be up tempo when the Aggies have the ball.

The x factor in this game is turnovers just like any other game. JL needs to take better care of the ball!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 1st, 2019, 1:35 pm

If we just hang with LSU like we did Michigan St last year we will be ranked....remember??? Michigan St also dropped in ranking....I JUST BELIEVE...that's all
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggie19

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 1st, 2019, 1:50 pm

I honestly don't know how, strategically, we could even plan to win this game. We really need to control the ball and manage the pace of the game with the run, but our RB situation is... fluid... I'd like to run J Love more than we have been, but that's way too dangerous... I honestly don't trust any quick out routes against this LSU team's corners. I trust most of our defense, but our corners are going to get eaten alive (they are good Aggie boys, but they are relatively short and relatively slow).

I'm here to predict that we will see a lot of bubble screens, flat routes and TE slants from USU that won't be too successful. I'm here to predict that we will shoot ourselves in the foot very early with turnovers and penalties (bad snaps, a few picks, false starts, etc.), but that we will make the score look acceptably bad by the end of the game (18 - 20 point loss).

It looks like the line has moved in many places to LSU - 28. I don't believe that we will have a hard time covering that line, but damn - if we can't start cleanly snapping the ball every time, we might lose by 93.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Locked Previous topicNext topic