Do we really think that Well/Yost or others would do better?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » November 3rd, 2019, 9:40 am

Hear me out then you can blast away. I am as frustrated as anyone, I expect our team to at least be in the game.

This coaching staff was not left with a 11-2 team, they were left with a team that brought in 50 new players, with most of the playmaker from last years offense gone, yes we have Love, but as we all know this is not his year. The last coaching staff left us with a lot of holes to fill.

Could the old stay done better, yes probably on play calls but does Love still throw all the interceptions? They have been game changers that we cannot recover from.

Could our defense do better? Do we have the 2nds there to rest our starters? I don’t know.

Most of us thought we would be around a 6 to 8 win team because of this at the beginning of the season, and with all the injuries, I think we will somehow get to 6 if we win this Saturday, if not then all bets are off.

But I don’t believe the old coaching staff or any other coaching would have done better. I believe we would have been in the same place, with everyone calling for Wells firing. Let’s give this new staff a year or two.

FYI- I did like how we incorporated Jordan and others last night and a few others play calls, Let’s hope that continues.

Fire away!
These users thanked the author pcaggie for the post:
ozzie1p

dyedblue

Re: Do we really think that Well/Yost or others would do better?

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

I think we would have beat Air Force and win last night with the previous staff. So yes, I think we would have been better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 3rd, 2019, 10:04 am

pcaggie wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 9:40 am
Hear me out then you can blast away. I am as frustrated as anyone, I expect our team to at least be in the game.

This coaching staff was not left with a 11-2 team, they were left with a team that brought in 50 new players, with most of the playmaker from last years offense gone, yes we have Love, but as we all know this is not his year. The last coaching staff left us with a lot of holes to fill.

Could the old stay done better, yes probably on play calls but does Love still throw all the interceptions? They have been game changers that we cannot recover from.

Could our defense do better? Do we have the 2nds there to rest our starters? I don’t know.

Most of us thought we would be around a 6 to 8 win team because of this at the beginning of the season, and with all the injuries, I think we will somehow get to 6 if we win this Saturday, if not then all bets are off.

But I don’t believe the old coaching staff or any other coaching would have done better. I believe we would have been in the same place, with everyone calling for Wells firing. Let’s give this new staff a year or two.

FYI- I did like how we incorporated Jordan and others last night and a few others play calls, Let’s hope that continues.

Fire away!
The last two weeks have been pretty bad. Air force we had a putrid offense and a defense that couldn't get air force off the field. Last night was our worst home loss since 2010 and it was to a pretty average team. I imagine there are many coaching staffs that would have done better than what we saw the last two weeks. I don't think we should make excuses for what we have seen recently.

TomMangum

Post by TomMangum » November 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am

YES

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 10:09 am

At least the deep pocket booster club can’t blame anyone but themselves.

Hartwell did okay with the hoops hire when left alone.

These users thanked the author 1TruAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 3rd, 2019, 10:15 am

This board is funny. When you are a school like USU you have to be a stepping stone school when it comes to coaching hires. You need someone with ambition that isn’t trying to just be good enough to not get fired but rather someone who wants to earn a promotion. That’s why I always believed Jay Hill was the man for the job. I believe many in the AD felt the same way, but ...you know....good ol boys club and all.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » November 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am
I think we would have beat Air Force and win last night with the previous staff. So yes, I think we would have been better.

wrong

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 3rd, 2019, 10:28 am

While the "exes and ohs" have obviously been a problem, that has paled in comparison to our lack of heart, leadership and discipline.

Not sure that we'd see that with last year's staff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 10:30 am

Maybe, but we beat BYU 45-20 last year and lost 42-14 this year. That is a 53 point swing. Was I wrong to expect a different outcome? Was I wrong to expect us to compete or even show up against Air Force.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am

No. They eeked out road wins against against csu and wyo last year. I don’t think they would pull it off against AF this year.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 3rd, 2019, 10:37 am

BeNo wrote:No. They eeked out road wins against against csu and wyo last year. I don’t think they would pull it off against AF this year.
The schedule last year was significantly weaker. Like by a mile.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
BLUERUFiO

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 10:42 am

Has it been? SDSU is the only game I would say has been tougher to this point.

CSU, Air Force, and BYU are all teams we played last year. Nevada and Stony Brook were awful. LSU was a body bag game for $$$. We can make whatever excuses we want, but we have taken a massive step backwards.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » November 3rd, 2019, 10:46 am

The record may be the same but I don’t think you would see the lack of heart and energy we are seeing. Wells and his staff coached very hungry last year. I don’t see Gary and his staff demanding excellence. That was clear with how the team came out after half.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 3rd, 2019, 10:47 am

dyedblue wrote:Has it been? SDSU is the only game I would say has been tougher to this point.

CSU, Air Force, and BYU are all teams we played last year. Nevada and Stony Brook were awful. LSU was a body bag game for $$$. We can make whatever excuses we want, but we have taken a massive step backwards.

Who did we play last year that was good? There are 4 ranked teams on the schedule this year plus BYU was much improved.

LSU and Wake are both 10 times better than anyone we played last year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am

BeNo wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am
No. They eeked out road wins against against csu and wyo last year. I don’t think they would pull it off against AF this year.
Last year we would not have lost to a 3-4 byu team at home by 28. Would we have beat air force? It would have been a tough game, but our offense would have scored points and moved the ball on them unlike this year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 11:12 am
BeNo wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:35 am
Last year we would not have lost to a 3-4 byu team at home by 28. Would we have beat air force? It would have been a tough game, but our offense would have scored points and moved the ball on them unlike this year.
Who knows how wells or yost would have handled this schedule and this young team. One thing is for sure this coaching staff is not doing the best.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

Yes the past staff would have done better, no question.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
aggies22

#hornsup!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 3rd, 2019, 11:34 am

I never loved Wells. But I can't imagine his staff doing worse than we've seen the past 2 weeks.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
BleedAggieBlue0sneed

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 3rd, 2019, 11:40 am

I think last year's staff working with this year's team would have beat Wake Forest. I think that would have given the team a boost and they would have done much better (maybe not win) against AFA. I think the same general result (much better, may or may not have won) would have happened with BYU.

Going forward I think Wyoming and NM would be winnable with the old staff and new team. Not sure if any games are winnable for this team for the rest of the year.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » November 3rd, 2019, 3:48 pm

Texas Tech is 1-4 in conference with losses to the 3 worst in that conference. I think that is a great example of how the coaching staff isn’t everything. Sometimes you are just dealt a bad hand.

But if you are arguing that the coaches can always win no matter what they are dealt then I guess by looking at Texas Tech I would have to say they would not have done better at USU.
These users thanked the author Winning Team for the post (total 2):
BeNooleblu111

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

I don’t give a crap about Texas Tech. I do care deeply about Utah State. MW course his lot, took his payday, and moved on. I do know the personnel at Utah State. Gary Walker into a situation that was not a rebuild. Next year will be a rebuild, but this year should not have been.

GA needs to prove that he was the right guy and do so quickly. He has lost the team, losing fans, and could quickly spiral into more.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 3rd, 2019, 4:55 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm
I don’t give a crap about Texas Tech. I do care deeply about Utah State. MW course his lot, took his payday, and moved on. I do know the personnel at Utah State. Gary Walker into a situation that was not a rebuild. Next year will be a rebuild, but this year should not have been.

GA needs to prove that he was the right guy and do so quickly. He has lost the team, losing fans, and could quickly spiral into more.

I know the team is losing but do we have inside sources that he has lost the team? Obviously they seemed to not be playing as hard as we would like just curious to know if this truly real.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 6:24 pm

No inside knowledge on my part, but 73-21 and giving up 1,100 yards of offense in two winnable games is pretty damning.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 3rd, 2019, 6:33 pm

dyedblue wrote:

This was a total rebuilding yr don't be ignorant! Whole new offensive line, new TE, RB, new starting Wr's. All new starters in the secondary, Woody has been injured all yr, new starter at LB, 50 new players on the team. If that isn't a total rebuild then I don't know what you would classify as one. Just because JLove was coming back shouldn't have meant that we were going to have an explosive offense again this yr.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Another way to ask the question

- Would an Urban Meyer type have taken the job - say as he did with Utah in 2003. I say no - because such a coach would have assessed the rebuilding effort that was to occur.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 6:53 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:33 pm
dyedblue wrote:

This was a total rebuilding yr don't be ignorant! Whole new offensive line, new TE, RB, new starting Wr's. All new starters in the secondary, Woody has been injured all yr, new starter at LB, 50 new players on the team. If that isn't a total rebuild then I don't know what you would classify as one. Just because JLove was coming back shouldn't have meant that we were going to have an explosive offense again this yr.
My apologies JFW_AGGIES - I think I've misread your other posts the last 24 hours. Am in complete agreement with you here. Also would like to add losing Leilua with his early season injury to the list of missing pieces that is now being rebuilt.

Blue Bull

Post by Blue Bull » November 3rd, 2019, 6:59 pm

Our schedule last year was a pillow schedule compared to this year. Wells left at an opportune time when he would be going into a great opportunity while leaving behind a team that he knew would be depleted of veteran talent this season. I’m sure much of the coaching staff saw the writing on the wall of what this season was likely to be. I don’t think Wells would have done better - if Yost was here that may be a different story. It’s crazy how quickly roles reverse as I remember reading posts calling for Well’s head most of the time he was here and now defended by many. Wells was winning with most of Anderson’s recruits anyway.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 8:57 am

BeNo wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:53 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:33 pm
dyedblue wrote:

My apologies JFW_AGGIES - I think I've misread your other posts the last 24 hours. Am in complete agreement with you here. Also would like to add losing Leilua with his early season injury to the list of missing pieces that is now being rebuilt.
Its not quite how you portray it. We have returning weapons. Bright, Scarver, Nathan, Tompkins, Terrell. The Oline was touted as athletic and got a ton of experience last year. The D-line was loaded. The secondary was back and they created a lot of TOs last year.

Patterson is a more innovative D coordinator than Ena and his guys played hard even when hit with injuries. And yes, the Aggies wouldn't be averaging 50 points a game with Yost but they would be significantly better...Wells or the current version of Gary whose defense just quit on him....Meh..tossup

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 4th, 2019, 9:21 am

Andersen > Wells. Yost + Patterson > Sanford + Ena. I don't think the problem is at the very top. My largely uninformed impression is that the lieutenants are inferior to the lieutenants Wells assembled last season. The reason I qualify my impression as "largely uninformed" is that this opinion is informed only by watching the games. The defense really hasn't changed a ton in terms of personnel this season, and yet virtually the same defense last season gave up 236 passing ypg and 143 rushing ypg, for a total of 379 ypg in contrast to giving up 258 passing ypg and 186 rushing ypg, for a total of 444 ypg. Yes, we have a tougher schedule, but against the same opponents (BYU and AF in particular against whom we regularly lost battles in the trenches this season), we have regressed dramatically. Sure our offense has lost a ton of personnel, but we still have a number of fantastic weapons (Love, Mariner, Bright, Nathan, et al.) and the play calling and schemes seem to be far less creative and effective. Hard to know whether to lay all the blame at the feet of Sanford and Ena, but seems to be a good place to start.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2019, 9:25 am

The blame always rises to the top. Gary needs to make it happen. I don't really see us as being very far off as far as record. I do see a team that is unprepared, unmotivated, and undisciplined. That concerns me far more than the current record. I felt we competed well at the beginning of the season. I am curious what happened to change that recently.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aglicious

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 4th, 2019, 10:34 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
The blame always rises to the top. Gary needs to make it happen. I don't really see us as being very far off as far as record. I do see a team that is unprepared, unmotivated, and undisciplined. That concerns me far more than the current record. I felt we competed well at the beginning of the season. I am curious what happened to change that recently.
This is what literally scares me as well. I can take losing when the other team is better or some mistakes are made. What I am not good with is just getting boat raced with no effort. Give credit to AF and BYU as they were prepared and played really well. That being said with the players we have the thrashings should not have occurred. The thing I loved about Gary the first time around was his us against the world mentality and the confidence he put into the players/program. He lost some games, but more often than not and against P5 teams his teams always showed fight which this team does not seem to be doing. I surely hope we can get it fixed. Having tasted years of aggie success over the last ~8 years I don't know that i could stomach going back to the 2006 time frame. I am not implying that will happen, but it certainly scares me. I will always support the team and get season tickets although at times I wish my Dad would have never gotten me hooked on Aggie sports. The high times are great, but the low times suck as well (which is life in general I suppose). Here is to hoping we can get things turned around the rest of the year and find a way to get 2 more wins.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieGordoAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic