Gary Andersen

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFWAggie

Gary Andersen

Post by JFWAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

I love Gary Andersen!! But this is not the GA I know, this current version shows no passion, his team shows no passion, we are being out schemed defensively, our entire team seems to lack basic football IQ, no one minus #9 can tackle, I could go on and on.

In my opinion this is all on Gary, I am disgusted by what I am seeing on the field, at this point I have zero faith he will turn it around mostly because I don’t feel he is fully invested this time around. Each game it gets worse and worse. I don’t see any fight in his eyes or body language, I see the same look I saw in Brent Guy, the look of being lost and overmatched.

I hope I am wrong!
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 2):
GretschAggieSox

Jjoey53

Re: Gary Andersen

Post by Jjoey53 » November 3rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

You can’t go home again, I was hoping at the time for Jay Hill, an up and comer. Anderson burnt himself out at Wisconsin and Oregon State. He is a shell of his 2012 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » November 3rd, 2019, 5:19 pm

+1000 it’s sad really, to watch this team and listen to Gary talk about it. Every game gets worse. Love has regressed from last year. He is missing wide open receivers and making ridiculously bad reads. BYU-p defense is one of the worst in the country, but Love still threw 3 more picks and missed wide open receivers all night. He’s holding the ball way too long and missing the holes in the zone. Last year he had Tarver and Greene who made him look good. He ain’t got that this year, sometimes Marinier but not consistently.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

Let me guess. You all shut the tv off against Hawai’i in 2011.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 5:44 pm

BeNo wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 5:26 pm
Nope, but you must not have read my post? That is not the same GA, not even close, his team did not quit on him then, but they have quit on him now, thanks for the perfect example of what I’m talking about
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 2):
BigVBAgBleedAggieBlue0

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 5:49 pm

I agree he has little passion. I think back to meeting him earlier in the summer. He acted the same then, but it was just one of the dog and pony shows and he was bored and did not appear to want to be there. He has the same look on the sidelines. Alvarez stole his winning passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
AggieSox

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 5:54 pm

I see. They have quit on him now. I just thought you all were projecting your negativity and insane expectations to be 8-0 right now with a revamped offensive unit.

Woodward has to make a decision in his best interest. I don’t think that qualifies as quitting on Gary. Or Leilua for that matter.

Only real quitters are those that have given up hope at this point.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Looks like he came here just to make some more money for a couple years, then retire. Someone on KVNU made a good point and said that we might as well have a statue as a coach and that GA looks like he doesn’t even care. I was on board with the hire when it happened, but I’m regretting it now. GA isn’t the same and never will be.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post:
AggieSox

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm

BeNo wrote:I see. They have quit on him now. I just thought you all were projecting your negativity and insane expectations to be 8-0 right now with a revamped offensive unit.

Woodward has to make a decision in his best interest. I don’t think that qualifies as quitting on Gary. Or Leilua for that matter.

Can you point out some examples of things that instill confidence and hope?

I can give you punting, that is looking really good right now. I can also give you the return game with Scarver.

If people quit on this team they would not have sat there last night waiting for us to sort some sort of life. I have not seen one poster that has thought we would be 8-0 right now, but we should be 6-2 at best or 5-3 at worse. While we are still at.500, there is no sign of a pulse from the staff or on the field.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 3rd, 2019, 6:29 pm

I wasn’t expecting the same passionate Gary Andersen from 10 years ago. I knew that would be different this time around. But my hope was he would be able to recruit at the same or even better level and hire some great assistants to help bring the energy and passion. I still have hopes for that.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttNVAggieFull

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 3rd, 2019, 6:39 pm

I still maintain Woodward and Leilua did not quit on Gary. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

I am not going to conflate rebuilding with your perceived lack of pulse.

As far as record, I think with LSU, Wake Forest, and SDSU all on the road, being 5-3 at this point is a legit high expectation. So we won at SDSU and sucked it at AF. The y loss is bad. Not saying it was good.

So we are now 4-4 one game away from the high water mark IMO. I am not hanging myself and the entire program over a rebuilding year with a tough road schedule. And I don't discount AF as much as everyone else does.

Lest we forget - Yost's first year the offense struggled with scoring in the red zone. They improved. I don't see a reason to be haste and project the last 4 games over the prior 4 games - especially with the talent we have lost through this last week of season.

I really have a hard time believing that the coaches and team are as big of quitters as you all are. Pathetic tripe.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 3:58 pm
You can’t go home again, I was hoping at the time for Jay Hill, an up and comer. Anderson burnt himself out at Wisconsin and Oregon State. He is a shell of his 2012 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I don't think having an up and comer who might not be interested in staying at usu long term is a bad thing. Craig smith might leave usu in a few years. He seems destined for greatness at a big program. If that happens would anyone regret hiring him? Of course not. Are ute fans mad at urban for leaving for
Florida? Maybe they were, but they cried while wearing their fiesta bowl jackets while trying on their conference championship hats.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 11:37 pm

BeNo wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:39 pm
I still maintain Woodward and Leilua did not quit on Gary. If you can't see that then I can't help you.

I am not going to conflate rebuilding with your perceived lack of pulse.

As far as record, I think with LSU, Wake Forest, and SDSU all on the road, being 5-3 at this point is a legit high expectation. So we won at SDSU and sucked it at AF. The y loss is bad. Not saying it was good.

So we are now 4-4 one game away from the high water mark IMO. I am not hanging myself and the entire program over a rebuilding year with a tough road schedule. And I don't discount AF as much as everyone else does.

Lest we forget - Yost's first year the offense struggled with scoring in the red zone. They improved. I don't see a reason to be haste and project the last 4 games over the prior 4 games - especially with the talent we have lost through this last week of season.

I really have a hard time believing that the coaches and team are as big of quitters as you all are. Pathetic tripe.
Nice take dude! Glad to know this year is a rebuilding year, jeez why didn’t Gary or mr hartwell let me know that before the season started?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 4th, 2019, 6:23 am

JFWAggie wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm
I love Gary Andersen!! But this is not the GA I know, this current version shows no passion, his team shows no passion, we are being out schemed defensively, our entire team seems to lack basic football IQ, no one minus #9 can tackle, I could go on and on.

In my opinion this is all on Gary, I am disgusted by what I am seeing on the field, at this point I have zero faith he will turn it around mostly because I don’t feel he is fully invested this time around. Each game it gets worse and worse. I don’t see any fight in his eyes or body language, I see the same look I saw in Brent Guy, the look of being lost and overmatched.

I hope I am wrong!
Nice take but imho your way off base. Did you really think you'd get the GA from 12 yrs ago? I hope you've changed in 10 yrs. This was always going to be a rebuilding yr with production that we lost on offense. Sure we had a serviceable defence if we could stay healthy which we haven't. Woody was everything to our D this yr. So pucker up buttercup once we get some of the players we need and some more exprience we'll have another 11 win season. Also were still on track to get the wins we all thought this team could get! Lets not forget we're 3-1 in confrence.
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
BustaMcNutt

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 4th, 2019, 7:31 am

I don’t have long term concerns about Gary because we lost to Air Force and BYU and are 4-4. I have long term concerns about Gary because of the way we lost to Air Force and BYU — i.e., the team looking completely lost and getting blown out. Record-wise, this is about what I expected.

There wouldn’t be near as much howling about Gary had we lost two close games to AFA and BYU where the team was clearly competitive. Had we been competitive, I would be excited about the rest of the season and thinking we could get to 7-5. The way we are playing though, we look like one of the worst teams in D1.

I just don’t buy the talent thing — we were competitive with and even beat a better team than BYU early in the season. Injuries have contributed, but not to the point where we should have fallen off a cliff like we have. Our schedule this year, in terms of difficulty and timing/placement of games, has contributed. We shouldn’t be playing two P5s and BYU in seasons where we play the tougher half of the west, but I think we’ll be doing that very thing again next year.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
sneed

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 7:53 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:31 am
I don’t have long term concerns about Gary because we lost to Air Force and BYU and are 4-4. I have long term concerns about Gary because of the way we lost to Air Force and BYU — i.e., the team looking completely lost and getting blown out. Record-wise, this is about what I expected.

There wouldn’t be near as much howling about Gary had we lost two close games to AFA and BYU where the team was clearly competitive. Had we been competitive, I would be excited about the rest of the season and thinking we could get to 7-5. The way we are playing though, we look like one of the worst teams in D1.

I just don’t buy the talent thing — we were competitive with and even beat a better team than BYU early in the season. Injuries have contributed, but not to the point where we should have fallen off a cliff like we have. Our schedule this year, in terms of difficulty and timing/placement of games, has contributed. We shouldn’t be playing two P5s and BYU in seasons where we play the tougher half of the west, but I think we’ll be doing that very thing again next year.
This. The Offense is a hot mess, we might as well not have a right tackle and Love has basic vision problems on some plays.

OK...But a defense under a Gary Andersen coached team playing two games in a row like that is beyond comprehensible.

The front 7 looks out of shape and lost. It wasn't so much as getting dominated as their half assed efforts to break down and tackle. Multiple times the interior lineman just stood their on those cutbacks and the LBs made tired lunges at air. Tipa in particular seems disinterested.

Time after time a very bad Zoob offense with a 3rd string QB and trash RB who couldn't start for any other team made 3rd and long look easy with the screen game because of this. One cutback and the whole team quits. No pursuit half minded effort. One time Williams read the play from the other side on a misdirection, shot into the backfield only to close his eyes and try to make a low arm tackle and the BYU back rambled casually for who knows how many yards because the whole left side of the D just watched him.

This (I can't express myself without swearing) is something the old Gary Andersen would never have condoned. He would have pulled every starter and fired his D coordinator on the spot. I understand that Woodward is out and he covered up a lot of LB deficiencies with his instincts and speed. But to have a Defense that does not even try..at home...vs the Zoobs. That's on Gary.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
sneedaggieman2828

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 7:58 am

Think about this. The Zoobs had 700 yards of offense. Mostly on the ground or on screens caught behind the LOS. They did that with a patchwork O-line, two gimpy backup Qbs, and probably the worst RB the Aggies will face. The whole damn staff should be fired today IMO.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttaggieman2828

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 4th, 2019, 8:14 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:58 am
Think about this. The Zoobs had 700 yards of offense. Mostly on the ground or on screens caught behind the LOS. They did that with a patchwork O-line, two gimpy backup Qbs, and probably the worst RB the Aggies will face. The whole damn staff should be fired today IMO.
I'm far from ready from going that far, if i had the call and were king for a day. But I am ready for Sanford to go and I was ready for that before the BYU game. He's shown me nothing this year from a coordinator that makes me believe he can put an offense together and be totally prepared for a game with tricks and wrinkles up his sleeve.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 8:18 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:14 am
hickaggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:58 am
I'm far from ready from going that far, if i had the call and were king for a day. But I am ready for Sanford to go and I was ready for that before the BYU game. He's shown me nothing this year from a coordinator that makes me believe he can put an offense together and be totally prepared for a game with tricks and wrinkles up his sleeve.
And the Defense...As bad as the offense has been there were signs of life. Had Love been able to see a LB in coverage and a couple O lineman waited for the RPO to develop the game would have looked quite a bit closer.

But the Defense is Gary's baby, whether he's coordinating or not and what has happened the last two games is so far below acceptable that he should go. Getting beat is one thing. When a Gary Andersen defense doesn't give a (I can't express myself without swearing) that's when you know he's done and there is no going back.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » November 4th, 2019, 8:28 am

My two cents worth: GA inherited this team. He did a good job recruiting to fill some glaring gaps (Warren, Mariner and Repp, for example). But there were also major problems on D at the beginning. We're playing a 5-2 cause we don't have enough talented LB's to play a 3-4 and as the season has shown, the 5-2 is getting us gashed. MW stole a really good DB from us. That's not GA's fault and then Woody doesn't even see the field against YBU. There are depth problems on defense and GA inherited those. They won't get fixed overnight.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 8:32 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:28 am
My two cents worth: GA inherited this team. He did a good job recruiting to fill some glaring gaps (Warren, Mariner and Repp, for example). But there were also major problems on D at the beginning. We're playing a 5-2 cause we don't have enough talented LB's to play a 3-4 and as the season has shown, the 5-2 is getting us gashed. MW stole a really good DB from us. That's not GA's fault and then Woody doesn't even see the field against YBU. There are depth problems on defense and GA inherited those. They won't get fixed overnight.
Sorry. I disaree. The D line was loaded with seniors and Tipa and they are playing like they are out of shape and don't care. Yeah, our LBs are slow without Woodward but the secondary showed to be good tacklers until the last two weeks. For whatever reason they just don't care. Maybe its internal divisions with the offense hanging them out to dry so often but they are done and thats on Gary.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 8:36 am

BeNo wrote:
That's not a good comparison to this. The 2011 team was a grinder. They had some really bad luck, blew 3-4 games to start the year but they never quit. This defense has quit.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 4th, 2019, 8:42 am

I don't mind the rebuilding, it is the lack of passion that gets me. I know GA is older and getting up there in years, but I thought there would still be *some* of the magic and drive he showed in his first run here (no where near the same level, but something - in actuality he simply seems like a different person, nothing from the past seems to have survived). The idea that the players would "run through a wall" for him was repeatedly thrown around back then, now-a-days showing up and playing on game day seems to be about it.

I remember listening to him get fired up and firing up everyone who heard him up as well. Watching him on the sidelines one could easily see he was involved and invested! Every single down mattered back then. Now? Not so much. Even when we did not see the results we wished for in the win/loss record the first two years (in his first stint) people still felt that something was going on, that the program was on an upward trajectory, that things were getting better. I don't feel that same vibe now. That's the major problem I see now.

Now GA just seems to be present, no excitement. Given we have basically an entirely new staff, and given the players that graduated or left from last year AND the losses to injuries this year I don't think the current team has the needed skills or experience to perform at a high level any more. But what we are seeing (IMO) is a lack luster effort that is producing game play considerably less than the team's potential (i.e., to be competitive - or at least not embarrassed - in most games).

The team's performance at Wake Forest and SDSU was acceptable to very good - there were a lot of opportunities missed in those two games but the heart and effort seemed to be there. Since then, not so much. I think we can still win our last game (New Mexico), and I think there is a very very slim hope to beat Wyoming - but given the lack of excitement and drive displayed recently I won't be surprised if we lose from here on out this year.

I'll be very curious to see how GA responds to this year. What changes get made, and what motivation does he generate? Who does he recruit? Can he still sell good players on USU? Can he get them invested in building something special here at USU? Time will tell.

I'm hoping my current observations are an over-reaction and that GA brings the program to a good "place" - I would like nothing better than to see him and the team succeed - but for that to happen I think we need more of the "old GA" back.

:-( But fingers (metaphorically) crossed.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
Reckoner

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2019, 8:47 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:36 am
BeNo wrote:
That's not a good comparison to this. The 2011 team was a grinder. They had some really bad luck, blew 3-4 games to start the year but they never quit. This defense has quit.
It wasn't on TV. I had to watch on the internet

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » November 4th, 2019, 10:43 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm
BeNo wrote:I see. They have quit on him now. I just thought you all were projecting your negativity and insane expectations to be 8-0 right now with a revamped offensive unit.

I can give you punting, that is looking really good right now. I can also give you the return game with Scarver.

If people quit on this team they would not have sat there last night waiting for us to sort some sort of life. I have not seen one poster that has thought we would be 8-0 right now, but we should be 6-2 at best or 5-3 at worse. While we are still at.500, there is no sign of a pulse from the staff or on the field.

I'm not pleased with how terrible we have looked this season, but this is just an unrealistic expectation. We are 1-3 on the road against teams with a combined record of 29-4. Three of those teams are ranked, including the #1 team in the country. We could legitimately be a GOOD team (which we are not) and still have gone 0-4 in those games.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 4th, 2019, 10:55 am

It's certainly disheartening. I'm looking at how few scholarships we have to give this year, and wondering how we are going to get better next year. I don't know what to think for the rest of this season, but I don't have any expectations, except that I don't see any easy wins. I am hopeful that the player-leaders, if there are any, can step up and get the guys moving in the right direction. And that assumes that the coaches can establish what that is. I just don't know right now if that can happen soon enough to salvage a bowl game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:55 am
It's certainly disheartening. I'm looking at how few scholarships we have to give this year, and wondering how we are going to get better next year. I don't know what to think for the rest of this season, but I don't have any expectations, except that I don't see any easy wins. I am hopeful that the player-leaders, if there are any, can step up and get the guys moving in the right direction. And that assumes that the coaches can establish what that is. I just don't know right now if that can happen soon enough to salvage a bowl game.
This is what scares me about next year is how few of scholarships we have to offer. I am hopeful the players that are sitting this year are able to fill the void for next year.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
This is what scares me about next year is how few of scholarships we have to offer. I am hopeful the players that are sitting this year are able to fill the void for next year.
It's a little scary to think about, but with so few scholarships next year and many of the players brought in this year were on Wells recruiting lists, it's going to be several more years before the roster is turned over with his guys. Not that there is not talent, it's just if what we currently have fitting what they want to do.

I think it's going to be rough the rest of this year and the start of next year is tough too. Going to be a little frustrating for a while.

Go Aggies!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:54 pm

isrred wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:43 am
dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm

I'm not pleased with how terrible we have looked this season, but this is just an unrealistic expectation. We are 1-3 on the road against teams with a combined record of 29-4. Three of those teams are ranked, including the #1 team in the country. We could legitimately be a GOOD team (which we are not) and still have gone 0-4 in those games.
Maybe it has something to do with getting destroyed athletically andphysically, first by AFA and then at home against one one of the worst teams in the country sporting two gimpy backup QBs, a patchwork O-line, and an FCS running caliber RB.

650 yards mostly on cutback runs, screens, and frickin halfback passes back to a gimpy QB. The 4-4 record has little to do with my worries.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
What makes you think that freshmen could fill senior roles anyway? We have lots of young talent (some of it from Wells, some of it from Andersen) that is going to be better next year.

OFFENSE:
-The offensive line will return in its entirety (as well as the second string).
-We lose Repp and Mariner, but return all other contributors in the receiving game.
-Bright is going to be sorely missed, but Nawahine and Warren are a good start.
-Our QB room is as deep as its ever been, and Colombi has looked good in sporadic minutes.

DEFENSE:
-Defensive line is sort of a mixed bag. Plenty of guys with experience returning but we lose Tipa, Jacoby, Baker, Fua (already lost), Devon, and Unga.
-Linebackers will bring back everyone, with one enormous question mark in the mix (Woodward). On the bright side (for 2020, that is), we are getting some young guys a lot of experience right now.
-Defensive backs will be a more experienced group next year with ALL safeties coming back, as well as every CB except for Haney and Williams.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
-Losing Eberle is going to hurt. Even if our next guy is one of the best we've ever had, he will still likely be worse than Dom.
-Punter is wonderfully loaded. Bartolic has looked pretty dang good, and Kotsanlee has the Aussie pedigree everyone likes.
-Savon and J-Nathan returning kicks and punts, respectively, for another year? As good as it gets!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
What makes you think that freshmen could fill senior roles anyway? We have lots of young talent (some of it from Wells, some of it from Andersen) that is going to be better next year.

OFFENSE:
-We lose Repp and Mariner, but return all other contributors in the receiving game.
-Our QB room is as deep as its ever been, and Colombi has looked good in sporadic minutes.

DEFENSE:
-Defensive line is sort of a mixed bag. Plenty of guys with experience returning but we lose Tipa, Jacoby, Baker, Fua (already lost), Devon, and Unga.
-Linebackers will bring back everyone, with one enormous question mark in the mix (Woodward). On the bright side (for 2020, that is), we are getting some young guys a lot of experience right now.
-Defensive backs will be a more experienced group next year with ALL safeties coming back, as well as every CB except for Haney and Williams.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
-Losing Eberle is going to hurt. Even if our next guy is one of the best we've ever had, he will still likely be worse than Dom.
-Punter is wonderfully loaded. Bartolic has looked pretty dang good, and Kotsanlee has the Aussie pedigree everyone likes.
-Savon and J-Nathan returning kicks and punts, respectively, for another year? As good as it gets!
Is Hunter Hill on a mission? I thought he was going on one- but he's listed on the roster. I don't pay enough attention to the line or on certain special teams packages to have ever seen him, but he was considered a big get if memory serves. Also if memory serves he was a guy who was not interested in playing for Wells, but came here specifically because of Coach Andersen.

In addition, Gary was able to keep a lot of these recruits despite Wells. In my view, it's not from a lack of trying either. I remember when the rumor was he was either going to coach at Texas Tech or CU and he went to a committed recruits home in a black polo instead of anything Aggie branded.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Did expectations get this out of whack last year people?
How many years ago was Wells 3-9?
I don't think Belichek could get the current group to 6-2 right now, and that isn't a dig at the players, it's a statement of youth.
We had been bad for so many years, I'm heartened by how we don't accept that anymore.... but we also need a tinge of realism!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Did expectations get this out of whack last year people?
How many years ago was Wells 3-9?
I don't think Belichek could get the current group to 6-2 right now, and that isn't a dig at the players, it's a statement of youth.
We had been bad for so many years, I'm heartened by how we don't accept that anymore.... but we also need a tinge of realism!
It isn't the record as much as the performance. Nobody would have found losing to Air Force and byu the way we did acceptable going into the year. byu was our worst home loss since 2010; the year before our current stretch got going. byu is also a mediocre team that came into the game with a losing record and didn't have their quarterback. We let them dominate us on our homefield. It is a loss worthy of criticism.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:59 pm

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Is Hunter Hill on a mission? I thought he was going on one- but he's listed on the roster. I don't pay enough attention to the line or on certain special teams packages to have ever seen him, but he was considered a big get if memory serves. Also if memory serves he was a guy who was not interested in playing for Wells, but came here specifically because of Coach Andersen.

In addition, Gary was able to keep a lot of these recruits despite Wells. In my view, it's not from a lack of trying either. I remember when the rumor was he was either going to coach at Texas Tech or CU and he went to a committed recruits home in a black polo instead of anything Aggie branded.
Hunter Hill is on the roster and has traveled with the team. Unless something drastic were to happen, this would be a redshirt season for him at this point.

Yes, he was very highly rated. Yes, we only went after him after Coach A had taken over.

It was a black turtleneck. I can't confirm or deny what he might have said to those players, but I've heard the rumors.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hunter Hill is on the roster and has traveled with the team. Unless something drastic were to happen, this would be a redshirt season for him at this point.

Yes, he was very highly rated. Yes, we only went after him after Coach A had taken over.
Cause of the new rule, he could play in the last four games and keep his redshirt.

Locked Previous topicNext topic