Queta update: no update

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Queta update: no update

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:33 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpectrumMagic

Re: Queta update: no update

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 4th, 2019, 11:44 am

Still very weird that there has never been a timeline or solid information. Someone already said this but very similar to Kawhi Leonard - I’m hoping it doesn’t play out that way.

I understand the coach, team or player may not want to give specifics but rarely do you not get a timeline such as 6-8 weeks, out for year etc. I hope team is just playing things close to vest otherwise it’s a situation of diagnose keeps changing or rehab isn’t working

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Could very well be out for the season

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I feel like there are two potential scenarios...

1-Queta will return fairly soon and they are with holding information from the media so they can surprise our first big opponent and they will be unsure if he is playing. Then...boom, here comes Queta into the game!

OR

2-He is most likely going to miss most of our big games non conference or even out for the season and they don’t want teams to know and plan for him not playing.

I fear #2 is true, but hoping it’s #1 scenario. I want to watch Queta play with this group! I think with him we can go to places never seen before in Aggie history. Without him, we will still be good, but may have some issues with tough competition.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 4th, 2019, 1:21 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Any factual basis for this, or just speculation? If speculation, why post it? If based on facts, it seems irresponsible to post the conclusion without the supporting basis.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bpd

Post by bpd » November 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I put this in another thread, but Queta is partially practicing. Confirmed by the Trib today.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
ChicAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm

*Insert wildly speculative and unsubstantiated comment here*

Ex: It's obvious that Queta has lost his entire knee. It's just gone. We won't have him back until at least mid-January because of the timeline it takes to grow a new knee through a third-party biotech company. He probably won't make it back this season. However, one positive item: I think they can increase his vertical a bit with this knee replacement. It may add up to a foot on his standing vertical, if I had to guess.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Basically, Queta is not 100%, and we don't need Queta to beat MSU.
Expect Queta back as early as next week.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm

SLB wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm
Bank on this. It is the same guy that told us to play Bean more. He also predicted that Brito would be a star.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 4th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Don't forget about Love, he nailed it with his Love prediction.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

SLB wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm
Makes sense. I didn't buy he was out for the season. They wouldn't hide or downplay it if he was out long term.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 4th, 2019, 7:48 pm

From what we were told, Queta had a combination of a sprained knee and dislocated knee cap. A run of the mill sprain is likely 4 weeks and a dislocated knee cap is around 6 weeks. His could have been a more severe category of sprain. If any type of surgery is needed for either of these injuries, it could push things out to 4-6 months. Unless someone knows something I don’t, I’ve never heard anything about him needing surgery.
So, my guess is that his knee is gradually improving but not at the rate they hoped for. The coaches figure we don’t probably need him for the first few games so why risk getting him reinjured until he is close to 100%. Coach Smith has also mentioned repeatedly that Queta sitting out is a blessing in disguise as he is utilizing this time to put on weight and get stronger. Also let’s our other bigs get some more development opportunities. I’m guessing we could see him for Weber but if not, then maybe not until NC A&T or UTSA so he can get some limited minutes to get up to game speed in time for LSU.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Queta needs to get stronger in general. His injury set him back a bit on that. It's a good idea for them to take their time and make sure he's stronger than ever and his knee is fully stable and supported by surrounding muscle so that he is less likely to have future injuries.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Now is the time for those you claim to be connected to show how connected they are.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Oh I'm connected all right. Nobody is as connected as me believe me.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:31 pm

I have absolutely no connection.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » November 5th, 2019, 6:54 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:48 pm
From what we were told, Queta had a combination of a sprained knee and dislocated knee cap. A run of the mill sprain is likely 4 weeks and a dislocated knee cap is around 6 weeks. His could have been a more severe category of sprain. If any type of surgery is needed for either of these injuries, it could push things out to 4-6 months. Unless someone knows something I don’t, I’ve never heard anything about him needing surgery.
So, my guess is that his knee is gradually improving but not at the rate they hoped for. The coaches figure we don’t probably need him for the first few games so why risk getting him reinjured until he is close to 100%. Coach Smith has also mentioned repeatedly that Queta sitting out is a blessing in disguise as he is utilizing this time to put on weight and get stronger. Also let’s our other bigs get some more development opportunities. I’m guessing we could see him for Weber but if not, then maybe not until NC A&T or UTSA so he can get some limited minutes to get up to game speed in time for LSU.
Pat Mahomes had a dislocated knee cap and is out 3-4 weeks. Just sayin.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 5th, 2019, 8:28 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Queta needs to get stronger in general. His injury set him back a bit on that. It's a good idea for them to take their time and make sure he's stronger than ever and his knee is fully stable and supported by surrounding muscle so that he is less likely to have future injuries.
I think smith said he has put on 30 pounds, hope its muscle.

Where only sage brush grows

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 5th, 2019, 8:29 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:48 pm
A dislocated knee cap is never as simple as 6 weeks for recovery. I have treated a hand full of those injuries, the longest of them still had pain after 4 months.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Where only sage brush grows

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 5th, 2019, 9:44 am

How long has it been? At least 2-3 months, right?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 5th, 2019, 9:45 am

ChicAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:21 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Any factual basis for this, or just speculation? If speculation, why post it? If based on facts, it seems irresponsible to post the conclusion without the supporting basis.
COULD BE? Speculative? Yes good observation

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 5th, 2019, 9:49 am

Queta's knee has just been slow to recover and has still bothered him. It's just taking time and the coaching staff doesn't know how long it'll be until he's fully ready to go. Even once he is ready it'll still take some time to then get back into shape and game ready. On top of that we need to hope there's not any set backs.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 5th, 2019, 1:04 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 9:45 am
ChicAggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
"Could very well be out for the season" could absolutely be based on specific information about the severity of the injury with a lengthy, but not completely known recovery time. Or it could be rank speculation of a poster intentionally being an a$$. Not saying that's you Vi, because you know I love you, but that is exactly what I was trying to clarify.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 5th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Here's the facts: An option for this injury immediately after it happened was surgery. They opted to rehab and hope it would allow Queta to play this season. If there are complications in the rehab, more time will be missed. The team wants to be in the best possible position for an at large, so having him for the LSU/Florida/South Florida/Saint Mary's quartet would be ideal. That failing, they hope he's back by conference play, but there is a chance that he will ultimately need surgery.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 5th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Is this the rAggie choo choo moment?

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 5th, 2019, 3:26 pm

A choo choo moment would be something much more sensational than this.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 5th, 2019, 3:26 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 1:04 pm
ViAggie wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 9:45 am
ChicAggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
"Could very well be out for the season" could absolutely be based on specific information about the severity of the injury with a lengthy, but not completely known recovery time. Or it could be rank speculation of a poster intentionally being an a$$. Not saying that's you Vi, because you know I love you, but that is exactly what I was trying to clarify.
Awe thanks man I love you too! Could it be love? :lol:

I wasn't being an (I can't express myself without swearing), I was being serious, and yes it was speculative because I have no idea, but I do know that knee injuries are difficult to come back from in a short time. I HOPE he plays. :rock:

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » November 5th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Queta is dressed and warming up. Not sure if he's playing or not.

jwaggie

Post by jwaggie » November 5th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Nevermind. He's not out there anymore.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 5th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Has anyone tried verbal communication to ask him what his status is. I have a suspicion that he might know if his knee still hurts or not. He also might be able to mention if it hurts less now compared to 3-4 months ago, which could be a sign of healing.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 6th, 2019, 7:08 am

I don't care if Queta misses the entire non-conference schedule. If we can get him back in time for conference play, that is what really matters. This team is hoping to win in March (MWC and NCAA tournaments, specifically), not November.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 6th, 2019, 7:21 am

But some of the non-conference games are games that could greatly increase our seed come March.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 6th, 2019, 8:01 am

I have a hard time being concerned with seeding. Yes we have opportunity based on preseason ranking but still have to beat good teams in non conference and take care of business in conference which will be a tall order without Queta. Concerned with interior scoring and outside shooting besides Sam. Porter is a pretty good shooter, Miller too streaky

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 6th, 2019, 8:47 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:I have a hard time being concerned with seeding. Yes we have opportunity based on preseason ranking but still have to beat good teams in non conference and take care of business in conference which will be a tall order without Queta. Concerned with interior scoring and outside shooting besides Sam. Porter is a pretty good shooter, Miller too streaky
Are you also not concerned with winning games in the NCAA tournament?

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

2004AG wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:47 am
SpectrumMagic wrote:I have a hard time being concerned with seeding. Yes we have opportunity based on preseason ranking but still have to beat good teams in non conference and take care of business in conference which will be a tall order without Queta. Concerned with interior scoring and outside shooting besides Sam. Porter is a pretty good shooter, Miller too streaky
Are you also not concerned with winning games in the NCAA tournament?

We've won only 1 NCAA tournament game in the past 49 seasons so it's probably not as big of a concern as winning the games to get there in the first place and be healthy in the end.

Locked Previous topicNext topic