Student Section was good, not great

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
pablohoney

Student Section was good, not great

Post by pablohoney » November 9th, 2019, 10:03 am

The student section missed several golden opportunities to chant "Bean is winning" last night. Justin Bean went in to the halftime locker room with a 15-13 lead over Weber State. Bean held the lead for much of the game, hanging on to a narrow 18-17 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the game before he was put back in the stable.
These users thanked the author pablohoney for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Student Section was good, not great

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 9th, 2019, 10:10 am

pablohoney wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 10:03 am
The student section missed several golden opportunities to chant "Bean is winning" last night. Justin Bean went in to the halftime locker room with a 15-13 lead over Weber State. Bean held the lead for much of the game, hanging on to a narrow 18-17 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the game before he was put back in the stable.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 9th, 2019, 10:11 am

One Montana State player, Harald Frey, tied Weber State's whole team!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 9th, 2019, 10:47 am

I would like to see a return to the choreographed lineup of foul shot distractions from the students behind the basket. I like the big posters and stuff (and Big Queta was/is brilliant) but they are one dimensional because they stay the same each shot. The stuff like the ‘happy hands”, swaying arms, alternating rows back and forth, etc. keeps things fresh and interesting. Of course it’s hard to top “I’m a little teapot” every game but getting back some of the variety and originality along with all the posters etc. would take things to the next level.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » November 9th, 2019, 11:00 am

They were solid. It's freaking November. Great for Nov!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 9th, 2019, 11:34 am

They did chant Bean is winning last night. I thought the student section was great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 9th, 2019, 12:20 pm

They looked and sounded pretty good to me and are only going to get better as the season progresses

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm

For the record, I wasn’t complaining. Just making suggestions. Sounded loud and intimidating on the screen.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Student section was awesome. I loved the 69 chant.

1888Aggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by 1888Aggie » November 9th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Do they still do the player individual player hand signals like back in the Jared Quayle, Mo Diesel days?

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » November 9th, 2019, 1:41 pm

1888Aggie wrote:Do they still do the player individual player hand signals like back in the Jared Quayle, Mo Diesel days?
They were doing one for bean every time he made a play

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 9th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Sometimes I can't help but think that no matter how creative, crazy, or loud the student section gets it won't be good enough for some people. It will never be as good as when they were a student.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post (total 5):
ProvoAggieNVAggieaggies22donlarson8AggieFella

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 9th, 2019, 3:32 pm

What I saw from the student section last night was as good as I've seen for a game this early in the season. It was full, it was loud, it was organized and it was fun. The only thing that I really feel like is missing right now is something like the Bangarang that provides dirt on individual players to go after.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
DkdavisWinning Teamaggies22

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 9th, 2019, 3:50 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 3:32 pm
What I saw from the student section last night was as good as I've seen for a game this early in the season. It was full, it was loud, it was organized and it was fun. The only thing that I really feel like is missing right now is something like the Bangarang that provides dirt on individual players to go after.
We had that the last year couple of years and called it the bull sheet. No one has picked it up this year. Also, I heard rumor that someone higher up in USU marketing was trying to figure out who was behind d it last year which might have put a stop to it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 9th, 2019, 4:16 pm

They have been awesome. In the conference almost any team outside of SDSU would envy the student support that we are getting to start the season.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
DkdavisProvoAggiedonlarson8

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm

So, I agree that there could be improvement in the student section. Aside from missing opportunities for "Bean is winning" chants, about which I"m apparently wrong because they did it, I thought they were on point. But, they could work on slowing down the chanting. It's getting beyond them by not keeping a consistent speed and speeding up as chants go on longer.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Dkdavis

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 9th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm
So, I agree that there could be improvement in the student section. Aside from missing opportunities for "Bean is winning" chants, about which I"m apparently wrong because they did it, I thought they were on point. But, they could work on slowing down the chanting. It's getting beyond them by not keeping a consistent speed and speeding up as chants go on longer.
Chants speeding up happened last year as well at the beginning. We are working on slowing it down. We are planning on spreading the word when we show up early to the next game and writing it out on white board during the game so people are aware. I think one section had the chant going but I will admit that our section missed it. We realized it right as Bean was being taken out and Weber was shooting free throws.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
Real Life Aggie

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 9th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Chants speeding up happened last year as well at the beginning. We are working on slowing it down. We are planning on spreading the word when we show up early to the next game and writing it out on white board during the game so people are aware. I think one section had the chant going but I will admit that our section missed it. We realized it right as Bean was being taken out and Weber was shooting free throws.
Speeding up the chants is normal when the level of excitement is high, it’s the same kind of thing I deal with all the time as a musician. Just making sure to be aware of it goes a long way in fixing it

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 9th, 2019, 9:29 pm

It would be very hard to find a November game of the past that had a better student section than last night.

Comparing November games to best games of the past is apples and oranges. No November game in the past was a top crowd game over the last 10~20 years.

And if you want ranked teams to fill the stadium, don't look at the football team's attendance numbers when ranked.

As a fan, I just enjoyed how good the students were last night. (And I think the jump rope halftime helped a lot!!!)
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieReal Life Aggieaggies22

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

pablohoney wrote:The student section missed several golden opportunities to chant "Bean is winning" last night. Justin Bean went in to the halftime locker room with a 15-13 lead over Weber State. Bean held the lead for much of the game, hanging on to a narrow 18-17 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the game before he was put back in the stable.
You get more oxygen to your brain by breathing through your nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 9th, 2019, 10:55 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 9:29 pm
It would be very hard to find a November game of the past that had a better student section than last night.

Comparing November games to best games of the past is apples and oranges. No November game in the past was a top crowd game over the last 10~20 years.

And if you want ranked teams to fill the stadium, don't look at the football team's attendance numbers when ranked.

As a fan, I just enjoyed how good the students were last night. (And I think the jump rope halftime helped a lot!!!)
Could not agree more. The atmosphere last night was like a January conference game. Props to the students. Keep coming out and being loud you truly are difference makers for the team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
aggies22donlarson8

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 9th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Did I catch a "M-V-Bean" chant?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » November 9th, 2019, 11:30 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 11:21 pm
Did I catch a "M-V-Bean" chant?
You certainly did Mr.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

corio

Post by corio » November 10th, 2019, 2:17 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Speeding up the chants is normal when the level of excitement is high, it’s the same kind of thing I deal with all the time as a musician. Just making sure to be aware of it goes a long way in fixing it
I feel like there are untapped resources in art students when it comes to the Hurd. If we could implement a conductor for timing and throw some dissonant chords during opposing offensive plays I think we could hone the Hurd to a razor’s edge. Naturally I think it comes down to the arts and athletics being water and oil but there has to be some students out there who are majoring in creativity that would love to collaborate.

These users thanked the author corio for the post:
Real Life Aggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 10th, 2019, 2:20 pm

corio wrote:
trombone_ninja wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
I feel like there are untapped resources in art students when it comes to the Hurd. If we could implement a conductor for timing and throw some dissonant chords during opposing offensive plays I think we could hone the Hurd to a razor’s edge. Naturally I think it comes down to the arts and athletics being water and oil but there has to be some students out there who are majoring in creativity that would love to collaborate.

Looking at the demographics of our student section I would never guess they would be off beat.

Hail Aggies!

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm

corio wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 2:17 pm
trombone_ninja wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Don't the frats still have glee clubs? Should be easy to whip up some "Rag Time Gal" in the key of B#.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » November 12th, 2019, 9:29 pm

General seating was good, not great.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 12th, 2019, 11:36 pm

I thought the students were great - especially for such an early game. I think some posters on here remember their time as a student with such adoration that they sometimes romanticize it to be more than what it was. Let the students do their thing - we don’t need to tell them how to chant or how to sway or what movements to make. Students at USU have been creative for decades and come up with a lot of fun things. When we push for the current group to look just last a past one we quash the creativity. It feels like there is a group of people on here that really want the Wild Bill days back. That was a great time to be a fan in the Spectrum, but every decade has been rabid and crazy and they all don’t have to look the same. Move on and let this student section create their own mark.

I’ve seen video footage of students waiting until the first bucket and everyone throwing out a roll of toilet paper. It resulted in a technical foul each game - but set a tone. While I was in college we came up with the Scotsman dance. But it was just a small section of us - at that time fans were doing crazy things all independent of each other. Later the student section decided to be more in unison and add chants. My point being all of these things worked and made for a great fan experience - but it didn’t have to look like the previous generation. Keep up the good work students and don’t be afraid to take your fandom in a different direction than the precious fans.
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post (total 3):
SweepDanceNVAggieWillCut72

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » November 13th, 2019, 7:21 am

Chupamedia wrote:I thought the students were great - especially for such an early game. I think some posters on here remember their time as a student with such adoration that they sometimes romanticize it to be more than what it was. Let the students do their thing - we don’t need to tell them how to chant or how to sway or what movements to make. Students at USU have been creative for decades and come up with a lot of fun things. When we push for the current group to look just last a past one we quash the creativity. It feels like there is a group of people on here that really want the Wild Bill days back. That was a great time to be a fan in the Spectrum, but every decade has been rabid and crazy and they all don’t have to look the same. Move on and let this student section create their own mark.

I’ve seen video footage of students waiting until the first bucket and everyone throwing out a roll of toilet paper. It resulted in a technical foul each game - but set a tone. While I was in college we came up with the Scotsman dance. But it was just a small section of us - at that time fans were doing crazy things all independent of each other. Later the student section decided to be more in unison and add chants. My point being all of these things worked and made for a great fan experience - but it didn’t have to look like the previous generation. Keep up the good work students and don’t be afraid to take your fandom in a different direction than the precious fans.

Even in the late 2000s, it usually took a month or so to get things clicked into "great," and more specifically it was generally after the winter break. It's always been the case, and the fact that we're having these kind of numbers this fast is actually a really great sign.

And yes, I do think having a sell out every game would be awesome. But I don't think saying unless we get that we're failing is a reasonable standard.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » November 13th, 2019, 8:52 am

It's November and we're already causing hearing damage.

I'm excited to see what we will be in January and February. I wonder if we'll break any teams this year like we did to Nevada last year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic