Munoz gets Scholarship

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Munoz gets Scholarship

Post by Madmartigan » November 18th, 2019, 6:39 pm

This deserved its own thread

Last edited by Madmartigan on November 18th, 2019, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 6):
CodingAggieBlueLonely Cowboyusufan1ImakeitrainAggie_in_IdahoMachismo

Turtle

Re: Munoz gets Scholarship

Post by Turtle » November 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I have loved this entire story!!
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post:
Lonely Cowboy

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 18th, 2019, 6:47 pm

These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post (total 2):
Lonely Cowboyusufan1

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Awesome
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Lonely Cowboy

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 18th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Congrats, Kiddo. Very cool and well deserved.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
Lonely Cowboy

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Just awesome. Glad coach A did the right thing and in a very cool way.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Lonely Cowboy

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 19th, 2019, 12:19 am

did he died

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 19th, 2019, 9:15 am

A walk-on makes good story is always great but let's be real he only got the start because three other guys got hurt. Did he make plays? Yes. Am I happy we won? Hell yes! Did Coach Andersen jump the gun with this whole scholarship thing? Probably so.

In a recruiting year that already has 8 push forwards, Munoz now makes 9. Giving him a scholarship less than 2 years after walking on also means that he counts toward this years scholarship numbers. With everyone but Woodward returning at linebacker and adding Keegan Duncan into the mix. Unless the plan is to return to a 3-4 scheme, I just don't see how this one makes sense.

Fire away.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 9:15 am
A walk-on makes good story is always great but let's be real he only got the start because three other guys got hurt. Did he make plays? Yes. Am I happy we won? Hell yes! Did Coach Andersen jump the gun with this whole scholarship thing? Probably so.

In a recruiting year that already has 8 push forwards, Munoz now makes 9. Giving him a scholarship less than 2 years after walking on also means that he counts toward this years scholarship numbers. With everyone but Woodward returning at linebacker and adding Keegan Duncan into the mix. Unless the plan is to return to a 3-4 scheme, I just don't see how this one makes sense.

Fire away.
When did Munoz join? If he joined in January 2018 then he's good and it won't count against the initial 25 assuming his scholarship starts next semester.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 19th, 2019, 9:51 am

aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
Maybe he is good enough he merits a scholarship? Sure looked like he belonged against Wyo, but that's a limited sample size.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 19th, 2019, 9:56 am

Madmartigan wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 9:51 am
aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
Maybe he is good enough he merits a scholarship? Sure looked like he belonged against Wyo, but that's a limited sample size.
I think this is the crux of it.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 19th, 2019, 10:18 am

aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.

One can always hope.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 19th, 2019, 10:23 am

Maybe it was premature but Munoz was the best player on the defensive side of the ball on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Madmartiganrockandrolle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

This kind of stuff brings a team together. I have no problem with it. Gary will have to worry about scholarship numbers.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyrockandrolle

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 19th, 2019, 11:28 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 9:25 am
aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
When did Munoz join? If he joined in January 2018 then he's good and it won't count against the initial 25 assuming his scholarship starts next semester.
Nope. Eric came just prior to fall camp of 2018.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » November 19th, 2019, 11:40 am

Was it the calculated/smartest thing to do considering the unpredictability of Scholarships available? Probably not, maybe? Won't know that until the end of the year - start of the new year. Was it the right thing to do? Absolutely!! These type of moments bring the team together and show what hard work and persistence pay off in the long run.
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkrockandrolle

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » November 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
I definitely see the logic, but in my opinion, I don’t care how many guys in front of you are injured, if you get a single start, and in that game you get MWC DPOW, then you deserve to be on scholarship. He looked like he belonged in every way. Our D performed better than it has in several weeks, largely due to the life breathed into it by Munoz and Meitz.
And, just for the record, Shelton was not injured this week, but was punished by Ena for being late to a meeting this week by not letting him play.
These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post (total 2):
rockandrolleaggies22

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » November 19th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Coming from a walk on to scholarship player typically for whatever reason coaches never give the walk ons the same opportunity to play or start. He took advantage of his opportunity and proved why he should have been 2 behind woodward. I bet we have a few others like that on the defensive side especially in the secondary but they have stayed healthy.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post:
JSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 19th, 2019, 3:51 pm

How is he in man to man coverage?

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 19th, 2019, 4:25 pm

He's a junior so he takes this years and next years scholarship. Basically a year and a half. Plus he played really well.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Munoz had so much better lateral movement and quickness than Shelton. It made a ton of difference with the defense. I have no problem with giving him a scholarship. Maybe Shelton needs to go play somewhere else and open up a scholly.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 19th, 2019, 8:44 pm

It was absolutely the right thing to do to give him a scholarship. He was extremely solid out there had two interceptions and 13 tackles. The guy has been walking on and goes and has a performance like that he for sure deserve to be on scholarship. Now how it works in the grand scheme of things with numbers that's Gary and his staff to worry about how that works out but I am so so happy to see Munoz get a scholarship.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 20th, 2019, 4:35 am

GUS wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm
Munoz had so much better lateral movement and quickness than Shelton. It made a ton of difference with the defense. I have no problem with giving him a scholarship. Maybe Shelton needs to go play somewhere else and open up a scholly.
Yeah get the hell out of here, you RS freshman that wasn’t supposed to play a significant role this year!!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 20th, 2019, 7:05 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 4:35 am
GUS wrote:
Yeah get the hell out of here, you RS freshman that wasn’t supposed to play a significant role this year!!
The classic assumption that freshmen come in finished products. I got into arguments with people who said Jordan Love "wasn't D1 caliber" after his 2017 campaign. This is a developmental program and players get better.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 20th, 2019, 2:47 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 4:35 am
GUS wrote:
A redshirt freshman has enough practice reps and scout team reps under his belt to be able to play. Shelton looked slow physically and seemed to lack instincts to see a play develop and go. Munoz looked really quick out there for an ILB and while there were times you could see him getting his sea legs under him he definitely seemed to have great football instincts. I think the point that Shelton does not look like someone with D1 linebacker skills or potential is a fair one. I hope he proves everyone wrong but if Shelton has a schollie then Munoz definitely deserves one.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 20th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Bybs25 wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Coming from a walk on to scholarship player typically for whatever reason coaches never give the walk ons the same opportunity to play or start. He took advantage of his opportunity and proved why he should have been 2 behind woodward. I bet we have a few others like that on the defensive side especially in the secondary but they have stayed healthy.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
The reason is that if the walk on is better than the scholarship athlete it means the coaches recruited the wrong guy.
People don’t like to admit when they are wrong.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 22nd, 2019, 3:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
You do the right thing for the team....and then you move on.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 22nd, 2019, 8:03 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 3:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Fire away.
You do the right thing for the team....and then you move on.
He deserved it and the team seems super stoked for him. Now it is GA's problem to deal with the numbers, but in my mind this was for sure the right call to make.

Locked Previous topicNext topic