UNLV needs a new coach..

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sammyhagar

UNLV needs a new coach..

Post by sammyhagar » November 25th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Sanchez gone from Rebel land....
What's the chances Sanford Jr. gets it.
ok. zero....
but I can fantasize.
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: UNLV needs a new coach..

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Dirty.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2019, 4:16 pm

I guess I'm in the minority, but I want to give Sanford another year before jumping ship. I need a bigger sample size, than one season.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22brownjeanscrazywookie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 25th, 2019, 4:31 pm

People lose their **** from game to game and get all worked up. We gotta give it 2-4 seasons to determine what we really have in coaches.

I remember a lot of people calling for Yost's head 2 years ago, then by last year he was the greatest offensive coordinator to ever live.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 4):
aggies22brownjeansUtahStizzleMWCFAN12

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 25th, 2019, 4:37 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:31 pm
People lose their **** from game to game and get all worked up. We gotta give it 2-4 seasons to determine what we really have in coaches.

I remember a lot of people calling for Yost's head 2 years ago, then by last year he was the greatest offensive coordinator to ever live.
Hell, in the stands I hear outrage when the other team converts a few first downs.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 25th, 2019, 4:51 pm

2004AG wrote:I guess I'm in the minority, but I want to give Sanford another year before jumping ship. I need a bigger sample size, than one season.
What about our offense gives you any reasonable hope for improvement next year? Honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 25th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Sanchez went from HS coach at Bishop Gorman to HC at UNLV. And it was a big time donor who made it happen, and he only lasted as long as he did due to the donor. Lets be honest, when was the last time UNLV was good in FB? It's been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. And they even get a big new stadium 10 miles closer to the campus!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2019, 5:12 pm

dyedblue wrote:
2004AG wrote:I guess I'm in the minority, but I want to give Sanford another year before jumping ship. I need a bigger sample size, than one season.
What about our offense gives you any reasonable hope for improvement next year? Honest question.

I don’t think Sanford became an idiot overnight. He’s been successful in the past. I want to see him get a few new players, get a little more comfortable with his current ones, install a system that fits his style and fits his personnel, and let him grow into the position here a little more.

He may not be the answer. But I want to see how he does next season before having a definitive opinion.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 4):
NowhereLandAggieMadmartiganbreadysmithUtahStizzle

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 25th, 2019, 5:26 pm

I'm not convinced that a good offensive coordinator needs "his" style to be successful. He just works with the players he's been given and makes the best of it. That means that he changes his playbook where necessary. This is something that should've been prepared before the season began. He already knew what he had. Furthermore, there are other things that should make every fan here highly question his judgement as follows.
#1 Jordan leads the nation in interceptions.
#2 all of the runs up the gut in inopportune times.
#3 the lack of rushing yardage
#4 which is last but not least (my biggest concern) scoring only 7 points against Air Force. If that wasn't enough, seeing a similar thing repeated against BYU and Boise State. With regard to Air Force, we're typically talking about one of the worst defenses in the nation and usually no better than average. 7 points with the caliber of player that Love is is completely unacceptable to me.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
JSHarvey

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 25th, 2019, 5:39 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 5:26 pm
I'm not convinced that a good offensive coordinator needs "his" style to be successful. He just works with the players he's been given and makes the best of it. That means that he changes his playbook where necessary. This is something that should've been prepared before the season began. He already knew what he had. Furthermore, there are other things that should make every fan here highly question his judgement as follows.
#1 Jordan leads the nation in interceptions.
#2 all of the runs up the gut in inopportune times.
#3 the lack of rushing yardage
#4 which is last but not least (my biggest concern) scoring only 7 points against Air Force. If that wasn't enough, seeing a similar thing repeated against BYU and Boise State. With regard to Air Force, we're typically talking about one of the worst defenses in the nation and usually no better than average. 7 points with the caliber of player that Love is is completely unacceptable to me.
Also we are dead last in red zone efficiency.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 25th, 2019, 6:10 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:16 pm
I guess I'm in the minority, but I want to give Sanford another year before jumping ship. I need a bigger sample size, than one season.
I've been critical of Sanford, but he deserves another year to see what he can do. Nobody should be fired after this year.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 25th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Was there really people calling for Yost's head? I find that hard to believe. I know some people wanted Wells fired, but Yost improved the offense his first year and obviously things blew up last year.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Was there really people calling for Yost's head? I find that hard to believe. I know some people wanted Wells fired, but Yost improved the offense his first year and obviously things blew up last year.
Do a search for Yost and go back to Nov. 2017. You'll find posts unhappy with Yost and Wells. Complaints about too many lateral throws, boring plays. Slow developing plays, etc. Sound familiar?
Yost's offense in 2017 wasn't very good.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0UtahStizzle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 25th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Oh I know about the Wells hate, but don't remember it with Yost. We averaged 30 points a game in 2017 up from 24 points a game in 2016. We went from the 108th ranked scoring offense to the 51st. Yeah it wasn't perfect, but there was serious improvement.

And I don't think Sanford should be fired. I believe the coaching staff failed to properly prepare and motivate our team in the biggest games of the year, but Sanford deserves another year to right the ship. After next year if the offense hasn't improved, Gary should make a change.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 25th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Didn’t we blame Wells for that bad offense and then believe the AD stepped in the next year and made Wells give full control to Yost?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

bigandblue
Has thanked: 0

Post by bigandblue » November 25th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Who are the possible replacements for Sanchez?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2019, 10:17 pm

bigandblue wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:09 pm
Who are the possible replacements for Sanchez?
I'm pretty sure his brother replaced him out at Bishop Gorman, they should make that leap again.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 26th, 2019, 4:38 am

I do not think we should count this year against Sanford. There was a decision to run last year's offense in an effort to help Love. Clearly that has not worked as this team was significantly lesser along the lines and in the WR corps. I think we will see a different offense next year and will withhold judgement until then.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 26th, 2019, 8:43 am

I read posters noting that we need more time before looking at new faces on our Football Coaching Staff. This staff chose to embrace the existing offensive system and publicly announced this choice. We suffered through this season even with a very, very promising potential NFL Q B. We also didn't bring in J C linemen to augment the promising, athletic yet inexperienced O line players.

We took a defense that returned nine starters, moved an excellent 235 lb outside linebacker into a defensive end position and with every snap he gave up 60 or more lbs to an offensive lineman, this with the questionable move to a 4-3 system that under performed.

Both coordinators were out adjusted at half time as is evidenced by play this season. This team has become lethargic as was demonstrated at AFA, BYU and Boise games. It may now be time to look at some of the coaches hired by Gary Andersen as what we have seen this year is not the playing toughness established by a Gary Andersen type team.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
NavyBlue

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » November 26th, 2019, 11:53 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 8:43 am
I read posters noting that we need more time before looking at new faces on our Football Coaching Staff. This staff chose to embrace the existing offensive system and publicly announced this choice. We suffered through this season even with a very, very promising potential NFL Q B. We also didn't bring in J C linemen to augment the promising, athletic yet inexperienced O line players.

We took a defense that returned nine starters, moved an excellent 235 lb outside linebacker into a defensive end position and with every snap he gave up 60 or more lbs to an offensive lineman, this with the questionable move to a 4-3 system that under performed.

Both coordinators were out adjusted at half time as is evidenced by play this season. This team has become lethargic as was demonstrated at AFA, BYU and Boise games. It may now be time to look at some of the coaches hired by Gary Andersen as what we have seen this year is not the playing toughness established by a Gary Andersen type team.
Agree 100%, with the whole post. It was really hard to watch the AFA, BYU, and Boise games. We seemed unmotivated, uninterested and unprepared. Of course, for me, the hardest one was the BYU game. A team we destroyed two years in a row came in and thrashed us. I think whatever progress we made with local perception was greatly reduced, and of course in the minds of Booger fans erased. Some changes need to be made, I'm not saying we should necessarily fire people but some changes need to be made for a championship team. What we did this year won't get it.

BigBlueBlood

Re:Sanford

Post by BigBlueBlood » November 27th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I agree, Sanford did not lose his ability to coach over night and he should be given some time to work it out. However, I cannot remember an Aggie OC leaving me scratching my head more than Sanford. In other words, it's not the "system" or the player, etc., which certainly impact success, rather it's just the play calling itself. Sanford can only call the play, he can't execute it. Accordingly, I don't base good play calling only on whether the play is successful. Rather, I look at whether the play, if executed, would have produced a first down, or whether it kept the defense guessing, or whether it was imaginative, or, instead, whether he keeps going back to a play that the team is not executing, hoping that one of these times it will work (sideline or bubble screen pass and the run up the middle), use of high risk, low reward plays, e.g. the two yard sideline pass picked for a TD against BSU, and whether it's even known that we have a tight-end on the team. In my opinion, I've seen too little of the former, and too much of the latter. Perhaps personnel is driving what Sanford thinks he can call, but I've gotta believe there are plays this team can run, but that for some reason they don't see the light of day.

I have two specific pet peeves. I'll just say this. Am I the only one that wonders why Jordan never takes a snap under center? I know "never" is an absolute, so I'm probably wrong there, but I think I'm close. Especially on 3rd and short yardage plays or goal line efforts. It just seems problematic to shotgun it every time, essentially moving the ball backwards 5 yards before then trying to advance it. I understand that some shotgun packages allow a runner to see the blocking develop, but in short yardage situations, it's not always the best call, but, it seems, we are married to it.

Lastly, why are we so antagonistic toward the play action pass? Often, when we have success running the ball on a possession, we keep running it until we are stopped, and sometimes even then we run it again. Why, after one or two successful runs, don't we fake the run and dump it to a receiver and keep the defense honest? Instead, we empty the backfield and tell the defense we are passing. Just wondering.

edit *ball

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 27th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:16 pm
I've been critical of Sanford, but he deserves another year to see what he can do. Nobody should be fired after this year.
Once we got larger than Alabama that all changed
These users thanked the author UtahStizzle for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

Twitter: UtahStizzle

TxTop
Been thanked: 0

Post by TxTop » November 28th, 2019, 6:19 am

It is Sandford jr.

I really wish you guys well. It pains me to see him doing the same thing to you that he did to us. Your comments on execution, game plan, and play selection are spot on with what we were subjected to for two years. Combined with a coach that wants to be the players friend and you have a recipe for disaster. I hope it doesn’t happen to you, but his second year was even worse.

Sanford - pretty boy - Big hat , no cattle.

Good luck.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 28th, 2019, 7:40 am

TxTop wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:19 am
It is Sandford jr.

I really wish you guys well. It pains me to see him doing the same thing to you that he did to us. Your comments on execution, game plan, and play selection are spot on with what we were subjected to for two years. Combined with a coach that wants to be the players friend and you have a recipe for disaster. I hope it doesn’t happen to you, but his second year was even worse.

Sanford - pretty boy - Big hat , no cattle.

Good luck.
I see that you've posted about the same subject three times now. You had the opportunity to watch him for two seasons. What do you believe Sanford did differently at Western Kentucky and is now doing differently at Utah State that he wasn't doing previously during very successful stops at Stanford, Boise State, and Notre Dame?

TxTop
Been thanked: 0

Post by TxTop » November 28th, 2019, 8:39 am

Fair question. I will do my best and try to respond later. Right now I’m dealing with a turkey that is somewhat reluctant to jump into the deep fryer. Happy Thanksgiving.

Locked Previous topicNext topic