After the UC Davis and St Mary's true road games

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

After the UC Davis and St Mary's true road games

Post by SLB » November 29th, 2019, 11:46 pm

We should stick with neutral court games, so we don't need to worry about BS refs handing games to our opponents.
I was there at the UC Davis game, and it was a joke.

Real Life Aggie

Re: After the UC Davis and St Mary's true road games

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 29th, 2019, 11:48 pm

I didn't think they were bad. Aside from that poor ref getting his world rocked by Brito, not too much I would complain about. And even with that, they were nice in giving the possession back to us when maybe that wasn't the correct call.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
UtahStizzle

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2019, 11:49 pm

I thought until midway through the 2nd half it was unbalanced.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22BustaMcNutt

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » November 29th, 2019, 11:50 pm

How dare the referees not step out and guard that sharp shooting Ford kid. They just left him wide open down the stretch. Stupid refs!
These users thanked the author pablohoney for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieMrBiggleAggieFBObsessionsneed

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 29th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Tass should have fouled early in the 2nd half. He fouled every time he contested a shot. That would have changed the game and rebounding battle. Also Beans early fouls were crap. Middle of the 2nd and fouls started to be called better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Bean's 2nd and 3rd fouls were a joke with how the game was being called and without him we were a totally different team in the first half. I think we could've built a lead at halftime with him. They were killing us on the boards with Dorius and Anderson in there.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 29th, 2019, 11:55 pm

scotlandog wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 11:53 pm
Tass should have fouled early in the 2nd half. He fouled every time he contested a shot. That would have changed the game and rebounding battle. Also Beans early fouls were crap. Middle of the 2nd and fouls started to be called better.

It was clear that it was the plan that Tass to foul on every play, and the refs were afraid that Bean would beat St. Mary's in the 1st half.

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » November 29th, 2019, 11:56 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Bean's 2nd and 3rd fouls were a joke with how the game was being called and without him we were a totally different team in the first half. I think we could've built a lead at halftime with him. They were killing us on the boards with Dorius and Anderson in there.
I agree but we were up 4 with 4 minutes left. We put ourselves in a great position to win and blew it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2019, 11:57 pm

It’s too bad this game was played in a hs game. Can you imagine this in the spectrum.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 30th, 2019, 12:05 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:I didn't think they were bad. Aside from that poor ref getting his world rocked by Brito, not too much I would complain about. And even with that, they were nice in giving the possession back to us when maybe that wasn't the correct call.
When they were aggressive it was a foul when we were it usually wasn't. Home team always gets 5-6 calls they shouldn't.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 30th, 2019, 12:10 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 12:05 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:I didn't think they were bad. Aside from that poor ref getting his world rocked by Brito, not too much I would complain about. And even with that, they were nice in giving the possession back to us when maybe that wasn't the correct call.
When they were aggressive it was a foul when we were it usually wasn't. Home team always gets 5-6 calls they shouldn't.
Nahhh. They had some really nice, clean blocks. We got pieces of them on our blocks. They didn't call some soft stuff when we would run in to the rim, looking for fouls. I agree that the 3rd foul on Bean wasn't the best. But, nothing egregious.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 30th, 2019, 12:16 am

Winning Team wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 11:56 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I agree but we were up 4 with 4 minutes left. We put ourselves in a great position to win and blew it.
But we expended so much energy to get to that point that we had nothing left for the stretch run. Merrill couldn't do anything in the final 5 minutes.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 30th, 2019, 8:32 am

We just went ice cold and couldn't get stops for the final 3 minutes. Refs had very little to do with it.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SBC_packers

Post by SBC_packers » November 30th, 2019, 8:47 am

pablohoney wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 11:50 pm
How dare the referees not step out and guard that sharp shooting Ford kid. They just left him wide open down the stretch. Stupid refs!
Well to be fair, the refs really stepped up their game when they stepped out to guard Brito on an open layup. The least they could have done was blocked a three for us.

SLB

Post by SLB » November 30th, 2019, 9:11 am

SBC_packers wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 8:47 am
pablohoney wrote:
Well to be fair, the refs really stepped up their game when they stepped out to guard Brito on an open layup. The least they could have done was blocked a three for us.
I am re-watching the game.
St. Mary's got away with a ton of traveling, and one was about 6 steps.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

SLB wrote:
SBC_packers wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 8:47 am
pablohoney wrote:
I am re-watching the game.
St. Mary's got away with a ton of traveling, and one was about 6 steps.
I think Porter got away with a pretty major travel as well.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
oleblu111sneed

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 30th, 2019, 10:25 am

This game was not in the refs despite there being a lot of bad calls. We simply ran out of gas. Someone has got to help Merrill on the perimeter to open him up. He is getting abused out there.

We also can’t play defense from 5 steps behind athletic guards. It doesn’t matter if we go over or under screens if we are too slow and out of position to be with the ball.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
ProvoAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 30th, 2019, 11:33 am

After watching those neutral court games in Jamaica, this was a different animal altogether. What I noticed was a period where the refs called tick tac fouls that took away 2 open 3pt shots (we made one, the other wasn't shot) and a layup from us. A little later the ref took out Britto. What was he doing in the lane? Never really saw anything similar going against St Mary's. They were basically breakaway fouls only the refs were making them. I was sure they were going to give the Britto collision ball to St Mary's.

The St Mary's guard had a great game. I wish Porter would have used his fouls on that guy instead of everyone else but him. And the flagrant? all Porter did was stop the shot.

Overall I'm just glad we didn't get physically beaten down to the point of injury. Those church schools usually have seriously dirty players.

sneed

Post by sneed » November 30th, 2019, 12:55 pm

We did a poor job going under the screens. And when it’s a moving screen we needed to sell it better.

I thought it was officiated correctly at the end but Bean got hosed in the first half and we needed him! Part of the reason we were out of gas at the end is because too much pressure was out on everyone else with him out.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 30th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Do people really think that their is a biased against USU? There's been way to much whining about refs here lately. We got beat, get over it. They make mistakes, both ways, refs aren't out to get us.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Not a bias, just refs doing a poor job of being consistent. It's easy to see in a lot of games besides the USU games.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 30th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Blitz79 wrote:Do people really think that their is a biased against USU? There's been way to much whining about refs here lately. We got beat, get over it. They make mistakes, both ways, refs aren't out to get us.
I don’t think a general bias against USU. I think it’s more of a general bias against an away team. I thinks there’s also a general bias against teams not perceived as being athletic.

As for the away team, refs are people and get influenced by home crowds. You wish it wasn’t so but it is and USU has been the benefactor of it in the Spectrum. It is what it is. Next year St Mary’s will probably complain about the refs and they will likely have a legitimate case.

As far as the a bias against what are perceived as non-athletic teams. I don’t necessarily think this happened much in the St. Mary’s game. There were a few plays that Ford or Fitts got stopped or stuffed and the ref made a call expecting a foul, but it was a clean play. I think this bias though mostly shows up when we play teams like LSU or SDSU and New Mexico. In this, there is a bias against USU.

It will be difficult for USU to remove the perception of being non-athletic. We have been known as a team that executes a system rather than a team that isolated and breaks down a defense based on athletic ability. Even now, under a completely different system, we are known as a team that plays very well as a team and there isn’t somebody that can dribble by everybody.

So when one of our players like Bean makes an athletic play, it catches people off guard, including refs. Sometimes refs operating under this perception will make a call based on what they anticipate will happen. We keep recruiting high quality players like we have and we can start to reverse this bias but I do believe it is there.

The opposite is also true. Going back to the LSU game, there were plays where it is perceived that they are super athletic so when they make a big play like some of the blocks, the refs expect that and don’t call a foul. After review, it looks like many of those blocks could easily be called as fouls. Some WERE very good athletic plays. But I do believe the bias exists.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
sneed

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 30th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Do people really think that their is a biased against USU? There's been way to much whining about refs here lately. We got beat, get over it. They make mistakes, both ways, refs aren't out to get us.
I do think Randy McCall holds a bias against us.

That being said, I find it ironic you say "a lot of whining about refs" but we've only lost for a day.

If we win it's "we won, move on" but if we lose it's "you big baby!"

So when is a good time to bring up a gripe against a ref?

Locked Previous topicNext topic