Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

Re: Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

Post by JSHarvey » December 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm

They've been cleared to play. From a KSL article today discussing and quoting the University's policy on such matters.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Disciplinary actions after testing positive for first-time drug offenders is left to the sole discretion of the sports’ head coach — in this case, Utah State head football coach Gary Andersen — according to the Aggies’ student-athlete handbook. The student is also expected to receive mandatory counseling and educational classes through the USU Wellness Center and may be required to complete a student-athlete substance abuse program, as well.

“The student-athlete is required to comply with the minimal guidelines set forth above,” the handbook reads. “Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification from all athletic participation and removal of all department-provided financial support.

“The student-athlete’s head coach may impose additional penalties beyond these guidelines, subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm going to enjoy the game (I hope), and wish these guys well with their future endeavors. Sad they couldn't wait a few weeks, but given they were not driving, in a private residence, and had some expectation (falsely apparently) of privacy I'm not going to concern myself further.

Note: The consequenses go up for a second offense and a third results in being dropped from the team and loss of all scholarships.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Two years from now:

*RING RING*

Barney: "Ahoy hoy, this is Barney Fife of the Logan police department, how can I help you?"

Caller: "There are some college students smoking weed in my apartment complex"

Barney: "Well then why aren't you over there getting high with them?"

Caller: "wait... what?"

Barney: "you heard me, git your (I can't express myself without swearing) over there, why are you calling me... in fact give me your address maybe I'll join them!"
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie_in_IdahoMetsJetsAggies

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 18th, 2019, 3:22 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm
They've been cleared to play. From a KSL article today discussing and quoting the University's policy on such matters.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Disciplinary actions after testing positive for first-time drug offenders is left to the sole discretion of the sports’ head coach — in this case, Utah State head football coach Gary Andersen — according to the Aggies’ student-athlete handbook. The student is also expected to receive mandatory counseling and educational classes through the USU Wellness Center and may be required to complete a student-athlete substance abuse program, as well.

“The student-athlete is required to comply with the minimal guidelines set forth above,” the handbook reads. “Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification from all athletic participation and removal of all department-provided financial support.

“The student-athlete’s head coach may impose additional penalties beyond these guidelines, subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm going to enjoy the game (I hope), and wish these guys well with their future endeavors. Sad they couldn't wait a few weeks, but given they were not driving, in a private residence, and had some expectation (falsely apparently) of privacy I'm not going to concern myself further.

Note: The consequenses go up for a second offense and a third results in being dropped from the team and loss of all scholarships.
Gary is 100% making the right call here. It would be wrong for the athletes and the fans to suspend these players for this their last game.
Last edited by Sl7vk on December 18th, 2019, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesoleblu111

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 18th, 2019, 3:26 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Two years from now:

*RING RING*

Barney: "Ahoy hoy, this is Barney Fife of the Logan police department, how can I help you?"

Caller: "There are some college students smoking weed in my apartment complex"

Barney: "Well then why aren't you over there getting high with them?"

Caller: "wait... what?"

Barney: "you heard me, git your a** over there, why are you calling me... in fact give me your address maybe I'll join them!"
I laughed out loud! I don't think it will ever get to that point, but society is surely changing its views.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
ViAggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 18th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 3:22 pm
JSHarvey wrote:

Gary is 100% making the right call here. It would be wrong for the athletes and the fans to suspend these players for this their last game.

How could I as a fan suspend these players?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 18th, 2019, 4:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 8:24 am
I don’t want to take a pot shot at any kids on here, but to be blunt, we should be able to smoke this bowl with or without love and bright. we have the better players and can hash it out without them if we must. Sure these kids were dopes, but bright is graduating and love already declared that he’s ganja leave, so their joint citation isn’t a huge doobie, not by an ounce.

Marijuana.
What I want to know is how long did it take you to concoct this little passage?
One toilet trip minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
JSHarvey wrote:

So, if this happened in October should they be suspended? Or, do they get a pass on the rules because it is their last game and they are somehow entitled to play in it?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
bluegrouse

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 18th, 2019, 5:12 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
JSHarvey wrote:

So, if this happened in October should they be suspended? Or, do they get a pass on the rules because it is their last game and they are somehow entitled to play in it?
According to the “rules”, Gary gets to decide so.....
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 18th, 2019, 8:21 pm

^^^^^^ bingo.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 19th, 2019, 2:09 am

Glad that's settled. Lets light a celebratory bowl

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 19th, 2019, 2:09 am

Glad that's settled. Let's light a celebratory bowl

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 19th, 2019, 7:55 am

I think we've really hashed this out over 7 pages of posts.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
taniataylorViAggie

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 19th, 2019, 9:03 am

Can't weed please just stop? This thread is hangin' over our heads like a green cloud!
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post:
ViAggie

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 19th, 2019, 9:17 am

Wait? What's going on?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 19th, 2019, 9:27 am

bigblue wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:17 am
Wait? What's going on?
Nothing. Have some Doritos.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 19th, 2019, 10:37 am

Gary not happy about the article

These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

FlashFast6

Post by FlashFast6 » December 19th, 2019, 11:01 am

Madmartigan wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:37 am

Coach speak for - "We really want to end the year with a bowl win and I want my best guys available to do it. We will worry about the truth after the game."

Seriously, I get him wanting to let his kids play and I've always thought he was a stand up coach (from his first USU stint), so i am sure he knows something we don't.

That said, Kent hasn't tackled very well at times on defense. I hope our kids don't get a contact buzz from tackling Jordan Love - if we can get to him!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 19th, 2019, 11:34 am

Madmartigan wrote:

I told you guys.....not everything in the limited version of the story is true....

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 19th, 2019, 11:37 am

FlashFast6 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:01 am
Madmartigan wrote:

Coach speak for - "We really want to end the year with a bowl win and I want my best guys available to do it. We will worry about the truth after the game."

Seriously, I get him wanting to let his kids play and I've always thought he was a stand up coach (from his first USU stint), so i am sure he knows something we don't.

That said, Kent hasn't tackled very well at times on defense. I hope our kids don't get a contact buzz from tackling Jordan Love - if we can get to him!
Don't come here sayin anything about our players or Coach or what is true or not....focus on cheering on your team. Most opposing fans come here with good things to say.....don't try us....Don't you have a fan board to tend to?

:puke: :disappointed: :bangwall:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
GaAggieoleblu111BustaMcNutt

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 19th, 2019, 11:40 am

FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Even if the players did smoke weed. Who the hell cares?

FlashFast6

Post by FlashFast6 » December 19th, 2019, 11:43 am

taniataylor wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:37 am
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Don't come here sayin anything about our players or Coach or what is true or not....focus on cheering on your team. Most opposing fans come here with good things to say.....don't try us....Don't you have a fan board to tend to?

We do have a board - but it's also fun to chat with opponents as well.

Goes to show you how message board posts can be misunderstood. I didn't say one thing bad about your coach. I like the guy - as I stated above - and even pointed out that he knows more about the situation than we do - obviously. I'm glad they are playing, so in the event Kent State wins, no excuses.

My intent was not to anger anyone.
These users thanked the author FlashFast6 for the post (total 2):
utahcountyaggieWillCut72

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 19th, 2019, 11:50 am

FlashFast6 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:43 am
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Goes to show you how message board posts can be misunderstood. I didn't say one thing bad about your coach. I like the guy - as I stated above - and even pointed out that he knows more about the situation than we do - obviously. I'm glad they are playing, so in the event Kent State wins, no excuses.

Yea well....you said it was coach speak, worrying about the truth later....tackling JLove, contact high...blah blah blah...not exactly a tactful way to talk about a sensitive subject for a kid going to the NFL....there's a bowl game topic for you.....and we dont make excuses....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
oleblu111

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 19th, 2019, 11:53 am

taniataylor wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:50 am
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Yea well....you said it was coach speak, worrying about the truth later....tackling JLove, contact high...blah blah blah...not exactly a tactful way to talk about a sensitive subject for a kid going to the NFL....there's a bowl game topic for you.....and we dont make excuses....
Tania, how are the kids enjoying the trip so far? I imagine their last physical workout is already done, and it's film and chalk talk from here on out till warmups.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
FlashFast6

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 19th, 2019, 11:57 am

USU78 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:53 am
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Tania, how are the kids enjoying the trip so far? I imagine their last physical workout is already done, and it's film and chalk talk from here on out till warmups.
They have practice today, they've been to Cowboys practice field....they can't practice there anymore, the Cowboys are hogging the facility....he he....the 2 teams are both practicing on opposite sides of the game stadium. Jordan sd they have seen some celebrities - eating lots, went to Top Golf, they have a game room set up for them at the hotel.....ohhh they're lovin it....he said best bowl that he's been to....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie_in_IdahoGaAggie

NikeRunner

Post by NikeRunner » December 19th, 2019, 11:58 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:I cannot believe that Logan City cops went to the trouble of getting a search warrant for urine over some college kids smoking dope in an apartment. That is the real crime here. :devil: Clearly, Logan City law enforcement is not over-whelmed with crime. Also, the apparent theory of guilt is possession by virtue of having marijuana in their systems. In California, drugs in your system cannot support a possession charge, though it can support a charge of being under the influence. Is being under the influence of MJ a crime in Utah?

Very disappointing that Love was hiding in the apartment and smoking dope a few days before a bowl game. What kind of leader and team captain is that? Same for Bright. This will hurt Love's draft stock.
Sorry I can't accept any argument from one "smoking" Joe. Throw the book at them. Throw the
book at Queta's knees as well. Maybe they'll read it and stay academically eligible.

Academically ineligible players aren't allowed to travel. Get off that soap box. ImageImageImage

FlashFast6

Post by FlashFast6 » December 19th, 2019, 12:03 pm

taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I get it. Sorry about that. The contact high was intended to be funny, but I can see how those sensitive to the situation could be offended, you also can't really express sarcasm in a message board post. I apologize.

I don't see a bowl specific thread other than predict the score - KSU 38 USU 36.

89Aggie

Post by 89Aggie » December 19th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Where can we find the University's statement on this that Gary referenced?

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 19th, 2019, 12:38 pm

FlashFast6 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:03 pm
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

I get it. Sorry about that. The contact high was intended to be funny, but I can see how those sensitive to the situation could be offended, you also can't really express sarcasm in a message board post. I apologize.

I don't see a bowl specific thread other than predict the score - KSU 38 USU 36.
There is always this :sarcasm:
:)
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post (total 2):
taniataylorFlashFast6

Where only sage brush grows

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm

FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 4):
ThunderAggietaniataylorFlashFast6bluegrouse

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 19th, 2019, 12:54 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Well......uhhhhh.....yeah!!! v :) :anonymous:

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 19th, 2019, 2:10 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:54 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
FlashFast6 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:

Well......uhhhhh.....yeah!!! v :) :anonymous:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 19th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I'm udderly (pun intended) amazed this thread made it 7 pages before it officially went off the rails.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:34 am
Madmartigan wrote:

I told you guys.....not everything in the limited version of the story is true....
I'm here to second Ms. Taylor's comment. I said VERY early in this whole ridiculous process that there is LESS to this story that was being reported.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 19th, 2019, 2:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 2:13 pm
taniataylor wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:34 am
Madmartigan wrote:

I'm here to second Ms. Taylor's comment. I said VERY early in this whole ridiculous process that there is LESS to this story that was being reported.

These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
aggies22

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Moral of the story, don’t mess with Gary’s players by putting out false information because there will be a price to pay.

Locked Previous topicNext topic