Cornell Green

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Cornell Green

Post by bluegrouse » December 23rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

Images of Cornell Green and the 1962 squad from my dad’s 1962 Utah State yearbook. Darnell Haney at center and Phil Johnson, 1975 NBA Coach of the year with KC Kings and long-time Utah Jazz assistant to Layden and Sloan.

These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 3):
aggies22AggieFBObsessiontreesap32

AggieFBObsession

Re: Cornell Green

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

You can see why Green was such a great player. Ripped!

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 24th, 2019, 11:07 am

Thanks for sharing Dennis Nate is my brothers Father inlaw.
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
bluegrouse

tinplater

Post by tinplater » December 25th, 2019, 6:33 am

We were all amazed when Cornell was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys....he didn't play a second of USU football. Darnell was a great guy (I believe he is an administrator at Weber State) I had a pottery class with him. Quite a sight seeing him hunched over a pottery wheel throwing clay in the Art Barn. He was in the center of the riot when a BYU player started a riot by insulting Darnell who answered with an amazing right hook.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 4):
bluegrouseaggies22Real Life AggieAggieFBObsession

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 26th, 2019, 3:58 pm

And what a post game fight that was!!!!!! Wrong place, wrong time, wrong attitude and things went from bad all the way to downhill bottomed out when post game hostilities erupted, and not in the favor of the cougars or their entourage. IIRC the story, a BYU player by the name of Gary Eastus had the poor judgement to call Darnell Haney a name and spit toward him/on him at games end when players were congratulating each other as players routinely do. Darnell played D END for the OAKLAND RAIDERS after finishing up at Utah State.

I suspect Tinplater could ad some more information about that post game "set to" if he chose to do so.

Edit: Reaching back a long time, yet the event only confirmed the continuing bad vibes between Utah State and the school in Provo.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

tinplater

Post by tinplater » December 26th, 2019, 5:55 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 3:58 pm
And what a post game fight that was!!!!!! Wrong place, wrong time, wrong attitude and things went from bad all the way to downhill bottomed out when post game hostilities erupted, and not in the favor of the cougars or their entourage. IIRC the story, a BYU player by the name of Gary Eastus had the poor judgement to call Darnell Haney a name and spit toward him/on him at games end when players were congratulating each other as players routinely do. Darnell played D END for the OAKLAND RAIDERS after finishing up at Utah State.

I suspect Tinplater could ad some more information about that post game "set to" if he chose to do so.

Edit: Reaching back a long time, yet the event only confirmed the continuing bad vibes between Utah State and the school in Provo.
Beyond Darnell's right hook, it was the sight of Tommy Larscheid climbing the chain link fence at the west end of the court and trying to pull BYU fans out on the court that I vividly recall. That and the two Logan cops standing by looking totally helpless. I was told the racial slur occurred during the game, Darnell approached Eastus afterwards and I am told Eastus exclaimed "I meant every word of it you black sob".
I really admired Darnell and I believe there has been a fairly recent interview published in perhaps the USU Statesman or the Aggie Alumni magazine. As I recall he was third string DE (this is during the Merlin Olsen, Clark Miller era) and only played one season of football; I was unaware he made it to the football pros as his major sport was basketball.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Locked Previous topicNext topic