Farewell

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Re: Farewell

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 21st, 2019, 10:26 am

These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
JFW_AGGIES

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » December 21st, 2019, 8:45 pm

Farewell you quitter!

I like being a winning program again. It took 30 + years but I'll take a team that fights and gets up after a loss and beats Fresno, heck ya, I like a team like that!! I hate to lose but I know what we were and what we are now. We are winners.
Thanks Coach A and your players for the good work this year.

Have a merry Christmas

Roll Aggies!!!!

GaAggie

Post by GaAggie » December 22nd, 2019, 6:47 am

The bowl game loss was a big disappointment, and a couple of other beat downs as well. However, as others have said, perspective is important here. In 122 years of football, the Aggies have won seven games in a season just 26 times.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 22nd, 2019, 8:13 am

I don't know how anyone can be surprised at the outcome of the bowl game who watched this team during the season. I have been an Aggie for a long time and I remember a number of sub 500 teams that I had a lot more confidence in than this team. The discouraging part as an Aggie fan is that this does not bode well at all for next year. We have very few scholarships so it is basically the same team coming back. We will. have a new quarterback and a tougher schedule. So we are betting everything on a few incredible recruits or tremendous improvement in existing talent. Seems like we are a few years away from being competitive.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
Coloraggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 22nd, 2019, 9:28 am

"auf Wiedersehen, good night"

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 22nd, 2019, 9:49 am

A thought: Matt, under threat of professional death, begs, borrows, and steals sufficient manpower and administrative daring do to survive by the skin of his teeth for one season, and win the bet for the second, achieving Lubbock in exchange for the mortgage we're presently paying off.

What shall it profit a man if he should achieve the whole world, yet lose his own soul ... but for Lubbock?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieMachismoTrueBlueFan

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am

2004AG wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 9:58 am
Wow. What short memories you guys have! Holy s***.

So you guys kept buying season tickets when it took Brent guy six games to score a touchdown.....bought season tickets when Brent guy won 1 game.....bought season tickets when NMSU beat us in the bowl game.....bought tickets when Matt Wells went 3-9.

BUT, winning 7 games with wins over Colorado State, San Diego State, Wyoming, Nevada and coming within a hair of beating Wake Forest on the road is your line in the sand? That’s the final straw?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more. Good post.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 22nd, 2019, 10:50 am

If people want to jump ship after a winning season announcing it on a public forum. I would say to those folks do not let the door hit you where the good lord split ya.

Someone that wants to see real quality 8 -10 win seasons might ask what can I do to help improve what we have, not run from the challenge. USU fans get more wins per fan dollars spent than any team in the MWC, but of course we want more.

I.m disappointed in the season and the butt kicking in the bowl game, but I think I shall stay, and give the coach some time to improve the program. perhaps I shall increase my donation, if you want to improve lets go.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
vegasaggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 22nd, 2019, 12:16 pm

I’m upset 😠 too but holy hell we had a winning season and went to a bowl game. We’re Utah Freeking State! GA hasn’t even had a team with all of his recruits. Step back from the ledge old blue old friend!!!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
BadElbow

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 22nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:50 am
I.m disappointed in the season and the butt kicking in the bowl game, but I think I shall stay, and give the coach some time to improve the program.
I see some rationale for this that's reasonable. However, I'm not sure I agree.

I don't know what it's going to take to really light a fire under Neath the a$$es of the athletic department so that they'll fundraise and sell the qualities of the athletic department like nobody's business but I don't think they will...

Secondly with all of the talk about paying players who wants to support that?

Lastly, when we're talking about Utah State University sitting in the extremity of a 2.5million populated state in which there's already two other FBS universities and many others to follow, it's too watered down in Utah.

... It's also a lost cause IMO because the p5 powers are playing a game where we can't compete in terms of money. Also go ahead and compare Utah State to our peers. Are those states so watered down? So then the only other solution is through the legislature. Good luck with that!....

I've become just happy that the Aggies compete the way they do. The only problem is that they'll be a bottom dweller soon if Gary doesn't make significant changes.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 3:01 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
I.m disappointed in the season and the butt kicking in the bowl game, but I think I shall stay, and give the coach some time to improve the program.

I don't know what it's going to take to really light a fire under Neath the a$$es of the athletic department so that they'll fundraise and sell the qualities of the athletic department like nobody's business but I don't think they will...

Lastly, when we're talking about Utah State University sitting in the extremity of a 2.5million populated state in which there's already two other FBS universities and many others to follow, it's too watered down in Utah.

... It's also a lost cause IMO because the p5 powers are playing a game where we can't compete in terms of money. Also go ahead and compare Utah State to our peers. Are those states so watered down? So then the only other solution is through the legislature. Good luck with that!....

I've become just happy that the Aggies compete the way they do. The only problem is that they'll be a bottom dweller soon if Gary doesn't make significant changes.
Is it the athletic department or the fan base that lacks the fire to increase Fund raising ? Actually fund raising has improved.Despite winning, ticket sale revenue has not improved.

I do not have a problem with some pay for players.

Utah State is located in a state which has 3,161,000 people with 2 other FBS universities. Of course one of those schools does not use state tax dollars, but does have great fan support.

We do not, and can not compete with P-5 universities because we are not one of them.

I do not expect USU to compete with top universities or even the two other instate schools but we should get fan support as strong as Wyoming, which has around 570,000 people, we are not even close to them.

RockyMountainHigh

Post by RockyMountainHigh » December 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

Dabo Swinney went 6-7 not very long ago.

Frank Beamer had a 2-9 season early on at VaTech.

Good thing those ADs didn't react the same.
These users thanked the author RockyMountainHigh for the post (total 3):
oleblu111ViAggiejpswensen

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 22nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Farewell! Keep your (I can't express myself without swearing) little posts too!
Last edited by KissMyAg on December 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggiecountry

Post by Aggiecountry » December 22nd, 2019, 8:55 pm

Don’t let the door hit you in the (I can't express myself without swearing)!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 9:40 am

BTW losing by 10 points in a BG is not a butt kicking. The last butt kicking we got in a bowl game was by Cincinnati in the inaugural Humanitarian Bowl.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2019, 10:48 am

I guess you guys that are jumping ship didn't suffer through the Brent Guy years. Or maybe you just picked a different team to follow until the bandwagon came back around? I'm sure we'll see you again.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
NVAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

Guys it was a bowl game. While they are important in the grand scheme they are not life or death. The key was we had 3 turnovers to their 1. On top of that we had a terrible punt and hortible onside kick which for all intents were 2 addirional turnovers.

Give kent state credit they came to play and were super motivated. Which I would have expected them to be more motivated as this was her first bowl game in 7 years. I still think the trajectory of the program is still trending in a good direction the ship is not sinking.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
oleblu111ViAggievegasaggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 11:12 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am
Guys it was a bowl game. While they are important in the grand scheme they are not life or death. The key was we had 3 turnovers to their 1. On top of that we had a terrible punt and hortible onside kick which for all intents were 2 addirional turnovers.

Give kent state credit they came to play and were super motivated. Which I would have expected them to be more motivated as this was her first bowl game in 7 years. I still think the trajectory of the program is still trending in a good direction the ship is not sinking.
Agreed, while I wanted to win I was happy we were able to stay with them through the entirety of the game. Couple of bad bounces for us and we ended up giving up easy points, it happens. We aren't Auburn circa 2011, able to mount a massive comeback in a mere minute and a half. Wasn't going to happen.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 23rd, 2019, 12:03 pm

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 23rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

I believe there is warranted criticism, but we had another season of going to a bowl and a winning record. We had a 7 win regular season this year. Did you know we never had a 7 win regular season from 1980-2010?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieViAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 4:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Is it the athletic department or the fan base that lacks the fire to increase Fund raising ? Actually fund raising has improved.Despite winning, ticket sale revenue has not improved.

Utah State is located in a state which has 3,161,000 people with 2 other FBS universities. Of course one of those schools does not use state tax dollars, but does have great fan support.

We do not, and can not compete with P-5 universities because we are not one of them.

I do not expect USU to compete with top universities or even the two other instate schools but we should get fan support as strong as Wyoming, which has around 570,000 people, we are not even close to them.
Olrblu makes some solid points. The state of Utah has 3,161,000 people and we compete with Utah (45.,000 seats) and BYU (62,000 adjusted recently) with our 25,000 seat stadium. Add all the three stadium capacities up and we calculate 132,000 total seats for sale and our 25,000 is just 5.28% of the 132,000 seat total. Seems to me we could get/sell/ or entice just 5% of the football seat buying public to step up and enjoy a game with excellent sight lines at the Maverick and a truly collegiate MWC football atmosphere.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 4:32 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 4:12 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Olrblu makes some solid points. The state of Utah has 3,161,000 people and we compete with Utah (45.,000 seats) and BYU (62,000 adjusted recently) with our 25,000 seat stadium. Add all the three stadium capacities up and we calculate 132,000 total seats for sale and our 25,000 is just 5.28% of the 132,000 seat total. Seems to me we could get/sell/ or entice just 5% of the football seat buying public to step up and enjoy a game with excellent sight lines at the Maverick and a truly collegiate MWC football atmosphere.
A few counterpoints.
1) There may be 132,000 seats but they definitely aren't all full. None of the schools in this state are selling out their games.
2) Just because there are over 3m people in Utah it doesn't mean that they are all within close proximity to Logan. Utah and BYU are both in larger population areas and get a lower percentage of people from their areas to the games than USU. USU would need over 20% of Cache County to fill the stadium. BYU needs 9%, Utah needs 4%.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
utahcountyaggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 4:52 pm

What I said Provo, was there were 132,000 seats including the U, Y and us, and at the Mav we only have 5.28% of that capacity. From a numbers perspective that's not a lot of heavy lifting to do to bump our attendance up to just 25,000 patrons per game. I drive from Sandy for the football games and with your handle I suspect you drive from Utah county to the Mav. Absolutely give you credit for your comments about local population ticket buying percentages, yet there are the intangibles that can draw and hold ticket buyers to see our AGGIES play home games. Nice retort though, well done.

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » December 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

GA will work tirelessly to fix a problem team that he inherited. I suspect we'll see a much better product on the field next year and when we do I hope and expect you'll be back. If not, adios.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

I’m not sure I understand your math. 25k/132k is almost 19%
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Fullsam tingey

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 23rd, 2019, 9:57 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:24 pm
I’m not sure I understand your math. 25k/132k is almost 19%
Thank you NVAggie. I need to cut down the heavy meds and whiskey so I can run my calculator with accuracy. Very polite comment to call my attention to a fundamental gaff of my part. Yikes.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
NVAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 24th, 2019, 2:39 am

Provo, I've seen the percentage argument before.

Utah State University as a whole, and even Logan City, still doesn't understand what it needs to do to make a football weekend an event in Logan. It should be a mini vacation for most people along the Wasatch Front.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 3):
NavyBlueAggieProvoAggieAgezzz

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 24th, 2019, 8:41 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 2:39 am

Utah State University as a whole, and even Logan City, still doesn't understand what it needs to do to make a football weekend an event in Logan. It should be a mini vacation for most people along the Wasatch Front.
Solid observation by AggieFBO, and it's past time to look at alternatives and real solutions. Our school needs to think more broadly with more vision about where the fans along the Wasatch Front live. The roads to Cache Valley are decent and maintained and access the the stadium shouldn't be a problem.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » December 24th, 2019, 6:38 pm

We also need to tap SE Idaho more. A couple of my buddies who are alums drive down for each game. The only compitition is ISU, which isnt competition. We can market all of SLC and north through SE Idaho to get a pretty big swath of people. Need to market Aggies AND Logan.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 24th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 6:38 pm
We also need to tap SE Idaho more. A couple of my buddies who are alums drive down for each game. The only compitition is ISU, which isnt competition. We can market all of SLC and north through SE Idaho to get a pretty big swath of people. Need to market Aggies AND Logan.
I guess it is still ok for people outside of Cache Valley to attend games in Logan

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 24th, 2019, 10:51 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 8:41 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 2:39 am

Solid observation by AggieFBO, and it's past time to look at alternatives and real solutions. Our school needs to think more broadly with more vision about where the fans along the Wasatch Front live. The roads to Cache Valley are decent and maintained and access the the stadium shouldn't be a problem.
Just curious but with the limited finances that we have what do you expect them to do? I mean people complain about spending $100 per person for a season ticket, and that's on the low end.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 26th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Pretty good statement JFW. What I'm saying is the folks along the Wasatch Front have deeper pockets than many in Logan and Cache Valley. I'm from Logan and moved away decades ago to make my way financially, socially and career wise in life. I have been loyal to Utah State through out that time and remain so. It's just not too hard to drive a couple of hours to Logan for AGGIE Football, especially with the greatly improved highway access to Cache Valley.

In business the saying is so true....."You have to spend money to make money", and some real money generally is along the Wasatch Front. That potential needs to be cultivated, and not just given occassional lip service. I believe there are many who could share with our Athletic Department some methods to generate individual fan, group and corporate support for Utah State Athletics.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 26th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Goodbye. Enjoy the stamp collecting and bird watching!

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Locked Previous topicNext topic