Come on, Hurd

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stang

Come on, Hurd

Post by stang » December 28th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Before I start, let me clarify: This is not another thread about student attendance. I think it's been fine this season, and I don't care that not many students were there today. Now on to my rant.

As much as I hate student sections like "The Show" and "The Rebellion", and I roll my eyes almost every time I see them do anything on social media, I'm actually somewhat jealous. At least they give a damn. Since the last Tweet, retweet, Instagram post, or Facebook post from the Hurd, there have been four men's basketball games (including two major wins, a game vs BYU, and a 68-point victory), a football bowl game, and three women's basketball games, including two at home. What gives?

I know it may seem nitpicky to get worked up over a lack of social media posts during Christmas break, but come on. There are students receiving scholarships and stipends to do this, and an adviser in a full time role. If not to promote games and teams, for what purpose does the Hurd even exist? Seems like an absolute waste of student funding.

Beyond this, I'm at quite a few of the "smaller" sporting events. In my 10+ years of going to occasional women's basketball, softball, volleyball and soccer games, I've never seen student support worse, and frankly it's not close. I haven't seen this year's Hurd president at a single non-football/men's basketball event.

I guess I'm just frustrated that in one of the better years of Aggie sports across the board in recent memory, the Hurd and its leadership seemingly couldn't care less. I don't understand why it continues to exist when this is type of complacency has become the norm. Is it too much to ask for that those receiving scholarships to do so at least promote USU Athletics and show up to support themselves?

Winning Team

Re: Come on, Hurd

Post by Winning Team » December 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I would do more research before you make all those accusations. The president was at most all volleyball and soccer games this season. He doesn’t get a scholarship. In fact no one in the Hurd get a scholarship for what they do.

I agree with a few things you are saying about promotion but other than that you are really making damning arguments without providing facts other than your own personal opinion.

I’m not in the Hurd committee but I’m well aware of everything they are doing for the students. Sometimes a quality of a good leader is working behind the scenes. A lot more goes into it than you know.

stang

Post by stang » December 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Winning Team wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I would do more research before you make all those accusations. The president was at most all volleyball and soccer games this season. He doesn’t get a scholarship. In fact no one in the Hurd get a scholarship for what they do.

I agree with a few things you are saying about promotion but other than that you are really making damning arguments without providing facts other than your own personal opinion.

I’m not in the Hurd committee but I’m well aware of everything they are doing for the students. Sometimes a quality of a good leader is working behind the scenes. A lot more goes into it than you know.
Forgive me, I'm actually referring to the student athletics VP for the scholarship part. If he and the Hurd president do, in fact, attend events, they certainly don't sit in the student section. I actually am very well aware of what they do "behind the scenes" but if the Hurd is struggling so badly to even do the bare minimum of promoting events through social media, maybe it's time for a change of structure.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Detroit-Aggie

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm

stang wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Winning Team wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Forgive me, I'm actually referring to the student athletics VP for the scholarship part. If he and the Hurd president do, in fact, attend events, they certainly don't sit in the student section. I actually am very well aware of what they do "behind the scenes" but if the Hurd is struggling so badly to even do the bare minimum of promoting events through social media, maybe it's time for a change of structure.
THANK YOU. There’s been zero social media presence since the BYU game. Not even with the big Florida win.. And based on past discussion boards on this site there seems to be plenty of us that believes we may not even get a full student section when #15 San Diego State comes to town next week, which is pathetic. There needs to be more build up and hype for this team.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
Detroit-Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 28th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I think you gotta give the HURD a bit of a break over Christmas break. a lot of kids go home for the holiday's and they just simply aren't around and involved right now. They'll be back when school is back. I felt like they did a really good job leading up to Christmas break.

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Also they do a great job of posting on their story. There may not be a actual posts but they put things on the story all of the time. Which students look at just as much as actual posts

stang

Post by stang » December 28th, 2019, 7:06 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:53 pm
I think you gotta give the HURD a bit of a break over Christmas break. a lot of kids go home for the holiday's and they just simply aren't around and involved right now. They'll be back when school is back. I felt like they did a really good job leading up to Christmas break.
I somewhat agree, but when you have teams playing against BYU, beating pre-season top 5 teams, playing in bowl games, etc. someone has to be on top of that. The Show has eight tweets in the past 24 hours. Beyond that, there literally hasn't been one single social media post about the women's basketball team this season (and very, very few overall about any non men's basketball/football team).

I guess I'm just a little bit confused about what the purpose of the Hurd is. Because it certainly hasn't been to promote Aggie athletics.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 28th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Another rant about how some students aren’t good enough... Rants on here just divide fans. Especially where you are ranting over a couple/few people. I personally think there is a better way to communicate issues you are having with an individual than blast it on forums. When I have seen ways that the hurd committee could step it up or be better I go directly to them and tell me what I think. Every time they are very receptive to my opinions and in many cases have gone above and beyond on what I suggested. Ranting on a forum seems to be the least effective way to see improvement because it just makes the other person defensive especially if the accusation is exaggerated even a little bit.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 28th, 2019, 7:38 pm

On social media the HURD seems to be most active on Instagram. A day doesn't go by that they don't have several Insta stories. Unfortunately there isn't a history of those.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
Winning TeamWillCut72

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 28th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Also why are you following the show? I fear there are a lot of aggie fans that just criticize and compare. It gets tiring coming to this board. Maybe we should have a section for strictly criticizing.
These users thanked the author Winning Team for the post:
Dkdavis

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 28th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Winning Team wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:08 pm
Also why are you following the show? I fear there are a lot of aggie fans that just criticize and compare. It gets tiring coming to this board. Maybe we should have a section for strictly criticizing.
That's a solid idea. Seriously.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm

It was a game against a division 2 right after Christmas. The student section is not going to show up for that game nor do I blame them. I have season tickets and I took my wife and kids to the bear lake valley so my wife could visit her grandma's for Christmas. This game was just not a huge priority. Now starting next Saturday my priorities will be to be in the spectrum for each game. There are only like 30 general public tickets available for the next 2 home games. I expect about a half full student section for the SDSU game, but the Nevada game will more than likely be full. Coming on and blaming people does not solve anything.

stang

Post by stang » December 28th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm
It was a game against a division 2 right after Christmas. The student section is not going to show up for that game nor do I blame them. I have season tickets and I took my wife and kids to the bear lake valley so my wife could visit her grandma's for Christmas. This game was just not a huge priority. Now starting next Saturday my priorities will be to be in the spectrum for each game. There are only like 30 general public tickets available for the next 2 home games. I expect about a half full student section for the SDSU game, but the Nevada game will more than likely be full. Coming on and blaming people does not solve anything.
Question: did you read one word of my post? Literally one word? Or just the title? Cause the very first sentence clarifies that this post hast nothing to do with attendance, and then specifies that I don't care about what attendance was like at today's game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 28th, 2019, 8:47 pm

stang wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:39 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm
Question: did you read one word of my post? Literally one word? Or just the title? Cause the very first sentence clarifies that this post hast nothing to do with attendance, and then specifies that I don't care about what attendance was like at today's game.
What point does it do to call out the Hurd about what they are doing with social media. Outside of the Show there is not another team in conference that gets the student support in basketball that USU does. Not everything has to be about blaming something or somebody.

dogie

Post by dogie » December 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I was disappointed in the student section. It didn’t sound like their hearts were really into the “up by seventy ... two!” cheer.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 6):
TheAKAggieaggiesdotcomUSU78treesap32Real Life AggieWillCut72

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 28th, 2019, 9:05 pm

dogie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm
I was disappointed in the student section. It didn’t sound like their hearts were really into the “up by seventy ... two!” cheer.
What was going on in the student section tonight? Did they sell some of those tickets to non students? At the start of the game there were only like 2 or 3 rows of students over there. Throughout the game the section seemed to fill in with families but I didn't really see the rest of the arena thin out all that much.

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » December 28th, 2019, 9:13 pm

They were doing that thing where the overnight low was the cost of tickets, and it was like 10 degrees, so tickets were cheap, word got out, and I assume a lot of people who don't normally attend the games showed up to help fill out a student section that wouldn't otherwise have very high attendance, due to the break.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 28th, 2019, 9:16 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
What was going on in the student section tonight? Did they sell some of those tickets to non students? At the start of the game there were only like 2 or 3 rows of students over there. Throughout the game the section seemed to fill in with families but I didn't really see the rest of the arena thin out all that much.
They gave a ton of tickets out through the schools for the student section. My 6 extra tickets today were for the student section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » December 28th, 2019, 9:19 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:16 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
dogie wrote:
They gave a ton of tickets out through the schools for the student section. My 6 extra tickets today were for the student section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s cool. I didn’t know they gave tickets out to the schools. I’ve never been to a Christmas break game where more than 2-3 rows are students standing up.

DCAggie24

Post by DCAggie24 » December 28th, 2019, 9:20 pm

stang wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 5:21 pm
Before I start, let me clarify: This is not another thread about student attendance. I think it's been fine this season, and I don't care that not many students were there today. Now on to my rant.

As much as I hate student sections like "The Show" and "The Rebellion", and I roll my eyes almost every time I see them do anything on social media, I'm actually somewhat jealous. At least they give a damn. Since the last Tweet, retweet, Instagram post, or Facebook post from the Hurd, there have been four men's basketball games (including two major wins, a game vs BYU, and a 68-point victory), a football bowl game, and three women's basketball games, including two at home. What gives?

I know it may seem nitpicky to get worked up over a lack of social media posts during Christmas break, but come on. There are students receiving scholarships and stipends to do this, and an adviser in a full time role. If not to promote games and teams, for what purpose does the Hurd even exist? Seems like an absolute waste of student funding.

Beyond this, I'm at quite a few of the "smaller" sporting events. In my 10+ years of going to occasional women's basketball, softball, volleyball and soccer games, I've never seen student support worse, and frankly it's not close. I haven't seen this year's Hurd president at a single non-football/men's basketball event.

I guess I'm just frustrated that in one of the better years of Aggie sports across the board in recent memory, the Hurd and its leadership seemingly couldn't care less. I don't understand why it continues to exist when this is type of complacency has become the norm. Is it too much to ask for that those receiving scholarships to do so at least promote USU Athletics and show up to support themselves?

I remember when I was 10 once and I didn’t get what I wanted for Christmas.......give it a rest. Find a hobby. Take the dog for a walk.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Not sure I understand the complaint. Is it that we want a stronger social-media game?

stang

Post by stang » December 29th, 2019, 12:35 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Not sure I understand the complaint. Is it that we want a stronger social-media game?
The complaint is that the whole purpose of the Hurd is to promote USU athletics and get people out to games. Not just football and men's basketball, and not just the big games. All games. They've been failing to do that. I just don't understand why the Hurd is school sponsored group which is funded by student dollars.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
brownjeansReal Life Aggie

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 29th, 2019, 5:02 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 9:05 pm
dogie wrote:
The student attendance was typical for a Christmas break game against a lesser opponent. I was impressed with the community turnout, more than enough to sell out the arena if you add regular student attendance. I think the 2 pm game time really helped bring a big crowd of families. That was a great idea to play the game at that time on a Saturday! It was nice walking to and from TGSS with the sun out.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 29th, 2019, 8:12 am

stang wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 12:35 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm
The complaint is that the whole purpose of the Hurd is to promote USU athletics and get people out to games. Not just football and men's basketball, and not just the big games. All games. They've been failing to do that. I just don't understand why the Hurd is school sponsored group which is funded by student dollars.
So we're complaining about the "Hurd" as a governing organization, not the "Hurd" the students who come to games and don't even realize there is a governing organization?
I can support that.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 29th, 2019, 9:44 am

Winning Team wrote:
What the hell is "the show"?

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 29th, 2019, 10:03 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 9:44 am
Winning Team wrote:
“The Show” is the name of San Diego State’s student section.

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » December 29th, 2019, 10:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
Exactly lol

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 29th, 2019, 11:21 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 10:03 am
aggies22 wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
“The Show” is the name of San Diego State’s student section.
Ok. Thank you my Aggie brother! I guess I just don't care enough about other schools student sections.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » December 29th, 2019, 1:38 pm

They are semi-famous.
They claim we stole the I believe cheer from them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic