One of the most frustrating games I have ever watched.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFreak

One of the most frustrating games I have ever watched.

Post by AggieFreak » January 1st, 2020, 11:05 pm

That is all. How could we miss that many 3 point shots? I hope this game gets it out of their system. I still think we have a great team and this was hopefully just a perfect storm for UNLV.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: One of the most frustrating games I have ever watched.

Post by bigblue » January 1st, 2020, 11:08 pm

They won't be this bad Saturday. I just hope the game is competitive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

SLB

Post by SLB » January 1st, 2020, 11:08 pm

AggieFreak wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 11:05 pm
That is all. How could we miss that many 3 point shots? I hope this game gets it out of their system. I think we ha=e a great team and this was hopefully just a perfect storm.
I agree, and I am just depressed from so much disappointment about the game.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 2nd, 2020, 8:01 am

One reason three point shooting is so poor is because we don't have a post presence on offense. Almost all of our threes are contested. Merrill is picked up at half court by the defense.

usu99

Post by usu99 » January 2nd, 2020, 8:24 am

Most of our 3's tonight were not contested. They were wide open bricks. Horrible shooting even when Sam got open he could barely draw the rim on his. It was a horrible game to watch in every sense.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 2nd, 2020, 9:09 am

I honestly do not know how we beat LSU and Florida. It gives me hope that we can turn things around and beat some quality teams, but with what I watched last night, we are going to be lucky to even finish top 3 in conference. Teams are figuring out how to beat us and take Sam out of the game. With Queta’s health up in the air, we are going to need major improvements and a little luck to be in bubble conversation come tourney time.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 2nd, 2020, 9:43 am

Three point shooting has been an issue all year.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Formerly TulsAGGIE

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 2nd, 2020, 10:09 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:01 am
One reason three point shooting is so poor is because we don't have a post presence on offense. Almost all of our threes are contested. Merrill is picked up at half court by the defense.
I agree we’re missing Queta as much offensively as defensively. I feel like Porter, Brito, and Miller are getting uncontested looks but Queta would help Merrill get looks and he’s a true option diving to the basketball.

Btw, did anyone else wonder if the play by play guy was wearing pants during that second half love fest for UNLV? I can understand positivity but man was he over the top.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Agsman

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » January 2nd, 2020, 10:27 am

3 point shooting has been off this year with the team averaging 33 percent (last year we hit 36 percent) but so much of that is inflated by Merrill's volume and high percentage (42%). Only one other player shoots above 32 percent...Porter. The "accepted" level of shooting percentage from 3 (or the break even point) is of course 33.33 percent. Which is equivalent to a 50% 2 point shooter.

Brito is REALLY struggling. Went 1 for 7 from the field last night and 0-3 from 3. Shooting about 27 percent from 3 and 37 percent from the field overall. Rough.

Miller and Alphonse are both hitting around 32 percent from 3, but Brock is only 38 percent from the field overall whereas Alphonse is a robust 49.6.

Having both of our 2 guards (Brito and Miller) shooting below 38 percent from the field overall is for sure our biggest hole right now.

Bean is also not hitting threes at all this year but has shot very little. (7 I think?) and more than makes up for it by shooting 52 percent from the field.

Hopefully Brito rebounds to the mean. That alone would make a huge difference.

Last year Brito was 43 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3. Miller was 36 percent from the field and 35 percent from 3 (so he isn't too far off).

I'd rather they'd be struggling now than later. That is for sure.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 2nd, 2020, 11:20 am

I remember going to a luncheon they used to have weekly with Stew. USU had just lost in the same fashion as we did last night. Stew got up to talk about the game and said sometimes there are games that you have to treat like a smelly turd. You just flush them and forget about them. This is one game to flush and forget.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsessionAgsman

Isittheball
Been thanked: 0

Post by Isittheball » January 2nd, 2020, 12:35 pm

Aztec fan here. We have had numerous Aztec players complain about the new ball the conference is using with the stat tracker in it. Have any USU players openly complained about the ball? I think its only for conference games based on the article.
Looking forward to a good game Saturday.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 2nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

GUS wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 11:20 am
I remember going to a luncheon they used to have weekly with Stew. USU had just lost in the same fashion as we did last night. Stew got up to talk about the game and said sometimes there are games that you have to treat like a smelly turd. You just flush them and forget about them. This is one game to flush and forget.
I really hope so because the offense has really struggled all year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 2nd, 2020, 1:14 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 12:40 pm
GUS wrote:
This is so true. The offense has just not clicked this year. Missing Queta has really hurt, but the move of the 3 point line has probably had an affect as well. Merrill is not as effective this year offensively as well. Last year he was close to the 50/40/90 percentages. His field goal this year is <42%. Hopefully he can find his shot as well as Miller/Brito.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 1:14 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
GUS wrote:
This is so true. The offense has just not clicked this year. Missing Queta has really hurt, but the move of the 3 point line has probably had an affect as well. Merrill is not as effective this year offensively as well. Last year he was close to the 50/40/90 percentages. His field goal this year is <42%. Hopefully he can find his shot as well as Miller/Brito.
I think Merrill's drop is mainly due to the extra attention opposing D's give him. Without a post threat or a wing or PG who can break down the defense off the dribble they can guard him out to half court; last night UNLV was picking him as soon as he stepped into the front court. He doesn't get many open looks.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » January 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 1:14 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
GUS wrote:
Merrill is hurting because opposing teams can key in on him without Queta on the floor. It doesn't help that he is nursing an injury.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 2nd, 2020, 10:05 pm

Isittheball wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 12:35 pm
Aztec fan here. We have had numerous Aztec players complain about the new ball the conference is using with the stat tracker in it. Have any USU players openly complained about the ball? I think its only for conference games based on the article.
Looking forward to a good game Saturday.
I haven't seen or heard any interviews where our players have even mentioned the ball.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 2nd, 2020, 10:40 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 10:27 am
3 point shooting has been off this year with the team averaging 33 percent (last year we hit 36 percent) but so much of that is inflated by Merrill's volume and high percentage (42%). Only one other player shoots above 32 percent...Porter. The "accepted" level of shooting percentage from 3 (or the break even point) is of course 33.33 percent. Which is equivalent to a 50% 2 point shooter.

Brito is REALLY struggling. Went 1 for 7 from the field last night and 0-3 from 3. Shooting about 27 percent from 3 and 37 percent from the field overall. Rough.

Miller and Alphonse are both hitting around 32 percent from 3, but Brock is only 38 percent from the field overall whereas Alphonse is a robust 49.6.

Having both of our 2 guards (Brito and Miller) shooting below 38 percent from the field overall is for sure our biggest hole right now.

Bean is also not hitting threes at all this year but has shot very little. (7 I think?) and more than makes up for it by shooting 52 percent from the field.

Hopefully Brito rebounds to the mean. That alone would make a huge difference.

Last year Brito was 43 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3. Miller was 36 percent from the field and 35 percent from 3 (so he isn't too far off).

I'd rather they'd be struggling now than later. That is for sure.
I'd like to know what the numbers are against quality competition.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » January 3rd, 2020, 6:28 am

GUS wrote:
This is so true.

Locked Previous topicNext topic