Last TO

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

Last TO

Post by Elkaggie » January 18th, 2020, 11:47 pm

I didn’t like taking the TO after the FT’s to put us up 5 with 8 seconds to go. (I know it’s easy to agree now) but it didn’t feel right at the time. I even mentioned it to my son. It felt like they were deflated and would have had to have gone the entire floor without the coach setting up a play. Plus it would have taken the pressure off the in bounds a little IF they scored. I know there were a lot of errors but I would have let them play .

ususports

Re: Last TO

Post by ususports » January 19th, 2020, 1:30 am

I agree and thought the exact same thing at the time it was called. They were out of timeouts, and we gifted one to them at a crucial time by calling it.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 19th, 2020, 8:45 am

Time out management is not Smith's strong suit.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 19th, 2020, 9:11 am

Neither is playing hard until the final whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » January 19th, 2020, 9:20 am

Since they called timeout to discuss the situation (up 5 with 8.9 seconds), I truly expected Smith to implement a plan that would have ensured victory after Merrill's free throws seemed to put us out of harm's way. For example, I thought we would employ a trapping, three-quarter court press to take time off the clock, and/or double team the Dennis kid on the inbound to keep the ball out of his hands, maybe even instruct them to foul after the ball gets into the front court...anything. But instead Dennis gets the inbound pass running full steam into the front court and is met by Porter only as he takes the shot to cut it to 2. That was disappointing to see, and made me wonder what they even discussed during the timeout.
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post (total 5):
Former_USU_Alumniaggies22Zaggie07aggieguy13Real Life Aggie

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2020, 9:25 am

Rabidchild wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 9:20 am
Since they called timeout to discuss the situation (up 5 with 8.9 seconds), I truly expected Smith to implement a plan that would have ensured victory after Merrill's free throws seemed to put us out of harm's way. For example, I thought we would employ a trapping, three-quarter court press to take time off the clock, and/or double team the Dennis kid on the inbound to keep the ball out of his hands, maybe even instruct them to foul after the ball gets into the front court...anything. But instead Dennis gets the inbound pass running full steam into the front court and is met by Porter only as he takes the shot to cut it to 2. That was disappointing to see, and made me wonder what they even discussed during the timeout.
That’s a good point. It seems they must have only discussed not fouling him on the three point attempt, which is the one thing we did successfully in the last 8 seconds.

I’d argue to even foul Dennis before he could get across halfcourt seeing as how he couldn’t miss, but at very least like you say, apply pressure or a trap to get it out of his hands.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2020, 9:26 am

Rabidchild wrote:
I'm guessing they were talking about hitting Jack-in-the-Box on the way out of town.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Former_USU_AlumniReal Life Aggie

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 19th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Speaking of jack in the box, anyone know why there is not a jack in the box from cedar city all the way to Pocatello?

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm

One highly publicized case of food poisoning as I remember.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 19th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Even my 9 year old yelled “why aren’t they going to double him!?” As he brought it up the court, before the last three. Absolutely mind boggling.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
Rabidchild

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » January 19th, 2020, 6:59 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Speaking of jack in the box, anyone know why there is not a jack in the box from cedar city all the way to Pocatello?

Because their food is horrible.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » January 19th, 2020, 8:10 pm

How dare you. Their deep fried cat food tacos are tremendous.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Locked Previous topicNext topic