Boise fighting the MWC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dirtnsnow

Re: Boise fighting the MWC

Post by dirtnsnow » January 23rd, 2020, 10:29 am

I could see them joining forces with BYU to form a new conference, especially if the big 12 falls apart. Just how many bridges BYU has burned is the question there, but I'd be surprised if they aren't already talking about this as an option.

Aggies All the Way!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 23rd, 2020, 10:32 am

So ... instead of one prima donna demanding special treatment and lots of shekels, more than anybody else gets to have, the supposed new conference would have two.

Yeah. That'll sell.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
JSHarvey

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 10:42 am

USU78 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:32 am
So ... instead of one prima donna demanding special treatment and lots of shekels, more than anybody else gets to have, the supposed new conference would have two.

Yeah. That'll sell.

THIS from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another thought could be is that Boise has finally gone public and confirmed their intentions and expectations , and in the world of public opinion a self serving money grab isn't likely to play well.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

calaggie

Post by calaggie » January 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » January 23rd, 2020, 11:49 am

USU78 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:32 am

Yeah. That'll sell.
Also worth noting is a sizable MWC exit payment, and if their exit blows up the new TV deal, Boise State could find themselves on the hook for damages. Boise State isn’t going anywhere. They’re just using the courts in an effort to gain some leverage in contract amendment negotiations to further sweeten their special treatment.

As an Aztec fan, I have to admit that I’m conflicted on this. I absolutely, totally, and completely oppose the special treatment Boise State is seeking beyond the new TV contract, but I don’t blame them for trying. The Aztecs owe a debt to Boise State. It isn’t great when fairness is at odds with loyalty. Mostly I just hope this all ends quickly and we can all get back to beating P5 schools.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post (total 5):
flying_scotsman2.0oleblu111aggies22ViAggieUSU78

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 23rd, 2020, 12:38 pm

I haven't seen the contract, but I would be shocked if it was intended to be perpetual, and if the bonus was to be proportional with increased TV contract revenue. It doesn't seem to me that the MWC has breached the contract yet.

Call their bluff.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

WELCOME BACK TO THE WAC BOZO! :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

kjkkkkkkk43
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kjkkkkkkk43 » January 23rd, 2020, 5:21 pm

So based on what I understand the new deal is dependent on Boise staying in the mountain west. If they were to leave it would change the new deal significantly which would result in less income for all schools in the MW! What worries me is the AAC has an open spot with UCONN going to the big east and rumors are swirling that the AAC is interested in possibly adding Boise as a football only member.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 23rd, 2020, 6:10 pm

I'll be honest, I'd rather them leave and we get less money, than to play on unequal terms. Giving them all those resources puts everyone else in the conference at a big disadvantage. We can't grow if we're giving away revenue to our biggest conference rival. They know this, they know as long as it's unbalanced, they'll be at the top almost every year. That means more money and better bowls and better recruits, e.t.c. We can't win that game.
Last edited by Aggie19 on January 23rd, 2020, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
FullMr. SneelockAggie_in_Idaho

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 23rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:10 pm
I'll be honest, I'd rather them leave and we get less money, than to play on unequally terms. Giving them all those resources puts everyone else in the conference at a big disadvantage. We can't grow if we're giving away revenue to our biggest conference rival. They know this, they know as long as it's unbalanced, they'll be at the top almost every year. That means more money and better bowls and better recruits, e.t.c. We can't win that game.
Bingo. Let them go.
Better to be poor than to be in a subservient relationship.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
vegasaggieMr. SneelockAggie_in_Idaho

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 23rd, 2020, 7:18 pm

Financially, the AAC is a weak option for Boise. If Boise was seriously considering it, it would probably be for football only and the remaining sports parked in the WAC. Eight of the 11 current AAC football schools are east of the Mississippi. That is a lot of travel for all of the teams involved and the expense will quickly add up. ESPN also has the right to renegotiate the TV contract with UConn's departure. While UConn did nothing for the value of the contract with its football team, the basketball teams, especially the women's team, were a valuable commodity. Assuming Boise makes the jump as a football-only school, do you think the AAC would really give Boise a full share of the annual TV payout? I would not be surprised if the difference between a reduced AAC payout to Boise and the new MWC payout, without the extra $1.8 million, would exceed the increased travel costs. Add in the extra $1.8 million from the MWC, even if it only last for the next six years, and it is a financial loss for Boise. There is no way Boise can financially withstand that hit.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 1:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 1:27 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 12:58 pm
I have read the contract with the MWC and BSU it would appear that the conference will most likely lose, so I expect a settlement to be made out of court. If BSU were to join the AAC we would lose up to $2 million per year on the new T.V. contract. I would doubt they even need to pay a exit fee if they were to leave after the current T.V. contact expires.

The biggest fear for me is if there is another Airport meeting with BSU building a new best of the rest conference USU could very well be left out of that conference.
Who would be considered for the "best of the rest conference"? At least at this point in time, we have shown that we are better than at least half our conference peers over the last 10 years. So unless they manage to pull 75% of the PAC-12 or form a 5 or 6 team conference, I think we've FINALLY earned our spot. But after decades of Utah State getting the shaft, I understand the paranoia.
Better on the field does not mean better for a new conference.

Here are the two options I hear discussed most often:

1. Create a new conference that pulls the best options from the MWC and the best options from the AAC West, to provide for some control over travel. The teams most likely to be a part of that are:

Boise, BYU, SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, CSU, Houston, Tulsa, SMU, and Memphis (tack on UNM and Wyoming for 12 teams)

2. Create a P6 conference with the best options from the AAC and MWC. Those most likely candidates are:

Boise, BYU, SDSU, CSU, UNLV, Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, and Cincy (tack on Temple and Fresno for 12 teams)

We are not the 13th or 14th option for either of those scenarios, in all likelihood. BYU delivers whatever market we think we could offer, and our revenues are not worth discussing compared to those bigger schools.

We would likely be scrambling to replace teams in the MWC (so, for our purposes it would likely be easier if the P6 conference was created). The MWC or whatever new entity we have would probably look like this:

USU, Nevada, SJSU, Hawaii, UNM, WYO, Tulsa, Tulane, and probably two Texas schools we convince to leave CUSA. Rice and UTSA would be best for recruiting, but idk how it would shake out. NMSU would also be fighting tooth and nail to get into that conference.
Option #2 is laughable and a pipe dream at best. Quit giving BYU and BSU so much credit!! I get it, they have a better market than us, but compared to the real power schools, their contribution is small fry. They won’t agree with that but it’s true. The more we say crap like this only adds fuel in their bloated egos.

The real power schools will NEVER let another conference get a “power” status. The second that happens is the second the big boys break everything apart and form conferences that would resemble the 80’s and 90’s.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » January 23rd, 2020, 11:34 pm

These users thanked the author TrueBlueAggie123 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19Aggie_in_Idaho

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2020, 6:47 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 11:34 pm
Tater friggin' Zoobs.

BSU no longer. TFZ henceforth. And forever.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Full

Post by Full » January 24th, 2020, 7:29 am

https://1280thezone.com/b-j-rains-broke ... onference/

This interview with the Boise State beat writer with Scotty G ended showing some teams would be fine to let Boise leave. Look at the investment universities like CSU, San Diego State, and Hawaii have/are putting into new stadiums and then watching as Boise is trying to get even more money. I see why they are ready to fight.

However, let’s put the Boise joining the AAC out to pasture. Football would be 80% of their $7 million a year deal or $5.6 million. Boise isn’t going to the AAC to take less money than they would be making in the Mountain West. The NY6 bowl opportunity with independence is gone. Boise May have a better media deal if they go independent, but they also have to build a schedule like BYU without the fan base BYU has. I hope Boise takes their time to think this through, because it seems like they may be rushing the process in their anger.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
Aggie19

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 7:34 am

The MW is playing a dangerous game. I hope this doesn’t all blow up in our face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 24th, 2020, 7:54 am

What are the odds BYU takes Boise's vacated spot if the spuds leave?
Who else would be a decent addition? New Mexico State.... isn't....

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:34 am
The MW is playing a dangerous game. I hope this doesn’t all blow up in our face.

Given USUs history, this will blow up in our face.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

Sl7vk wrote:What are the odds BYU takes Boise's vacated spot if the spuds leave?
Zero.

BYU isn’t going to join without Boise State.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 7:57 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Given USUs history, this will blow up in our face.
Ya that’s what I’m afraid of. When dominoes start falling, we may not like what’s left.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2020, 7:58 am

2004AG wrote:
Boazy had a hand in negotiations for the new media deal. Its demand for an increased slice postdated the deal, according to reports. Who's playing the dangerous game, really?

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 24th, 2020, 8:02 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:55 am
Sl7vk wrote:What are the odds BYU takes Boise's vacated spot if the spuds leave?
Zero.

What do you bet that BYU and Boise are in joint talks with the AAC? BYU and Boise would make the AAC the undisputed top G5 conference, and likely ensure that they will always get the G5's NY6 spot. The AAC will never be a "P6" in the truest sense, but they will essentially be that. I would not be surprised if another MWC school was also secretly in the mix (Colorado State?) to bring the AAC to 14. The MWC losing Boise and Colorado State would definitely destroy our media deal, and likely serve as the impetus for Hawaii going independent, leaving the MWC as a nine school conference with virtually zero media exposure.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 8:03 am

USU78 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Boazy had a hand in negotiations for the new media deal. Its demand for an increased slice postdated the deal, according to reports. Who's playing the dangerous game, really?
We are because we have more to lose.

oleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 8:06 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Zero.

What do you bet that BYU and Boise are in joint talks with the AAC? BYU and Boise would make the AAC the undisputed top G5 conference, and likely ensure that they will always get the G5's NY6 spot. The AAC will never be a "P6" in the truest sense, but they will essentially be that. I would not be surprised if another MWC school was also secretly in the mix (Colorado State?) to bring the AAC to 14. The MWC losing Boise and Colorado State would definitely destroy our media deal, and likely serve as the impetus for Hawaii going independent, leaving the MWC as a nine school conference with virtually zero media exposure.
Yep. Exactly. And at that point we were better off just giving Boise the money.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 24th, 2020, 8:07 am

New AAC alignment:

EAST
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Navy
Temple
Memphis

WEST
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 24th, 2020, 8:18 am

Ya'll are coming at this from a scarcity mentality.

I get the scar tissues of the past, but we need to get over that.

Boise is bluffing, and we need to call it.
If they aren't they don't have as good a hand as they think they do.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 8:23 am

Sl7vk wrote:Ya'll are coming at this from a scarcity mentality.

Well that all depends if the AAC isn’t a viable option. What have you seen that would indicate that it isn’t?

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2020, 8:44 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:07 am
New AAC alignment:

EAST
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Navy
Temple
Memphis

WEST
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa
that leaves us with nine all-sports schools and one football affiliate. I could live with that.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 24th, 2020, 8:44 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:23 am
Sl7vk wrote:Ya'll are coming at this from a scarcity mentality.

Well that all depends if the AAC isn’t a viable option. What have you seen that would indicate that it isn’t?

It's totally an option. But it really under minds all their other sports.... which I'm sure Boise is more than willing to do.
Boise will not be comfortable being a medium sized fish in a bigger pond. The AAC will not tolerate the garbage the MW has with Boise, and I think they'll quickly come back with their tails between their legs.

We cannot sustain the inequity of the current deal regardless of any short term pain that may incur.
It's the equivalent of owning a business and having to send a subsidy check to the leading competitor in our space each month. No way!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 24th, 2020, 8:46 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:06 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Zero.

And if we cave in and give Boise the money, are we in any better of a position? Seriously, you'd rather get bullied around on and off the football field, with a scarce chance of ever competing on a year in, year out basis? Y'all are ready to just accept that fate? BS, I'd rather be a lower conference where everyone has an equal shot to be champions. This is a rigged system in Boise's favor. It's like a dude that stays with their beautiful, but cheating arse girlfriend because he's scared he can't do better or isn't worth more. (I can't express myself without swearing)!
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 6):
Sl7vkMachismoTrueBlueAggie123Mr. Sneelockaggieguy13Agsman

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 8:48 am

USU78 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
New AAC alignment:

EAST
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Navy
Temple
Memphis

WEST
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa
that leaves us with nine all-sports schools and one football affiliate. I could live with that.
What do you think our tv contract would look like at that point ?

oleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 24th, 2020, 8:52 am

Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:06 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Zero.

And if we cave in and give Boise the money, are we in any better of a position? Seriously, you'd rather get bullied around on and off the football field, with a scarce chance of ever competing on a year in, year out basis? Y'all are ready to just accept that fate? BS, I'd rather be a lower conference where everyone has an equal shot to be champions. This is a rigged system in Boise's favor. It's like a dude that stays with their beautiful, but cheating arse girlfriend because he's scared he can't do better or isn't worth more. (I can't express myself without swearing)!
I don’t know what the best course of action is. I hate Boise as bad as anybody but calling thief bluff makes me nervous at the possible long term repercussions.

And I’d feel better about it if there were a good team waiting to take their place. Sorry New Mexico State just isn’t it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 24th, 2020, 8:57 am

Quite frankly I don't care about Boise. If they want to act like they are so much better than everyone else then let them go. I know it will hurt the conference and basically turn us into a MAC like conference, but I would rather play with that than continue to cower to their demands and give them an unequal playing field. At least it would make it fair and we would have equal opportunities to win versus now where it is rigged in Boise's favor. The AAC will not put up with their antics and quite frankly it they go there they will not be the top dog and I would guess would rarely win that conference and end up in less stellar bowls than going to the vegas bowl etc.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 24th, 2020, 9:01 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:48 am
USU78 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
New AAC alignment:

EAST
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Navy
Temple
Memphis

WEST
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa

Non existent. Honestly, less than the MAC or Sun Belt. On the field we would not have a much better product, plus we'd be in much smaller markets and facing the bias against the west coast.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
2004AG

USU78

Post by USU78 » January 24th, 2020, 9:01 am

2004AG wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 8:48 am
USU78 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
New AAC alignment:

EAST
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Navy
Temple
Memphis

WEST
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa
Dunno.

Locked Previous topicNext topic