Nit picking

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Nit picking

Post by SectionBAggie » January 26th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Shouldn't nit-pick after a win perhaps, but can we somehow get the AD to ban promotions during a timeout called by the other team in response to an Aggie run?

It may be subjective, and they may have already sold the ad space, but the CSU time outs at 7:41 and 5:53 in the second half were both called in response to Aggie runs and crowd noise. And promotions killed the crowd in both cases.

Would have been so much better to sing the Scotsman and have the crowd rocking through the time out.

Instead we watch someone roll dice in a game where the rules (although apparently simple :headscratch: ) are unintelligible and therefore not understandable in much of the Spectrum.

Why help the opposition kill the crowd noise with a time out promotion that is NEVER going to keep the crowd involved in reaction to the game?
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
hawktro

ususports

Re: Nit picking

Post by ususports » January 26th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Along those lines, for the love of all that is holy, can we end the stupid rock, paper, scissors tournament? Dumbest idea ever!
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
MrBiggleWinning TeamReal Life Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 26th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Before they did these promotions the timeouts still killed the crowd. People would just sit down and the place got quiet. I don't mind the promotions. The students enjoy them and it keeps them entertained and off their phones.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 26th, 2020, 8:03 pm

That is why they call timeout. It happens in every arena.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Turtle

Post by Turtle » January 26th, 2020, 8:59 pm

My problem with the dice game is that the odds of winning are 1/46,656. Seems like a waste of time to me.
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 2):
SweepDanceReal Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 26th, 2020, 9:45 pm

I have no problem with the promotion things they do during the timeouts. That is what you do at sporting events. I also like that they are trying different promotion activities. It seems as though people are never happy if the athletic department doesn't do anything then they're not being aggressive enough and if they do try new things people don't like what they're doing it seems as though people are never happy.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 27th, 2020, 12:24 am

I’m just happy that they aren’t doing predict the final score for $10,000 and now it’s a half court shot.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 27th, 2020, 7:31 am

I thought this thread would be about our chances of getting picked for the NIT :noidea:
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
BigBlueDart

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » January 27th, 2020, 9:25 am

ProvoAggie wrote:Before they did these promotions the timeouts still killed the crowd. People would just sit down and the place got quiet. I don't mind the promotions. The students enjoy them and it keeps them entertained and off their phones.

This isn't completely true, though may have been more often than not.

There have been quite a few times where you would observe where on the court there other teams timeout huddle would occur, and it would be near the bench/baseline to start the game. As the game progressed, you'd watch as the huddle gradually drifted toward half court, trying to get away from crowd noise.

A tenant taught in the Refraction was the you don't sit down at time outs, and at least for a period, no one did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 27th, 2020, 9:38 am

Turtle wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:59 pm
My problem with the dice game is that the odds of winning are 1/46,656. Seems like a waste of time to me.
Wrong. Odds of winning are 100%! The guy got 2/6 and got the ultimate prize: an Aggie wristband!

10/10, would love to see the crappy dice rolled again.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 27th, 2020, 12:46 pm

That guy on Saturday won a high five from Big Blue!!

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » January 27th, 2020, 1:21 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 7:31 am
I thought this thread would be about our chances of getting picked for the NIT :noidea:
Naw... just complaints

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 27th, 2020, 1:34 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:Shouldn't nit-pick after a win perhaps, but can we somehow get the AD to ban promotions during a timeout called by the other team in response to an Aggie run?

It may be subjective, and they may have already sold the ad space, but the CSU time outs at 7:41 and 5:53 in the second half were both called in response to Aggie runs and crowd noise. And promotions killed the crowd in both cases.

Would have been so much better to sing the Scotsman and have the crowd rocking through the time out.

Instead we watch someone roll dice in a game where the rules (although apparently simple :headscratch: ) are unintelligible and therefore not understandable in much of the Spectrum.

Why help the opposition kill the crowd noise with a time out promotion that is NEVER going to keep the crowd involved in reaction to the game?
You spell AGGIES you win something, you really couldn’t figure that one out on your own?

Hail Aggies!

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 27th, 2020, 2:03 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 1:34 pm
You spell AGGIES you win something, you really couldn’t figure that one out on your own?

I understand the main goal. What I don’t get is why they continue to roll after rolling a number at which point the main goal is out of reach. It’s that level of rules that hasn’t been clear to me or those around me.

Whether I am brain dead on understanding the rules of the promotion does not change the fact that the crowd, in general, is not revved up by most of the promotions. Which is essentially a gift to the opposing coach in the described scenario.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 27th, 2020, 2:24 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 2:03 pm
I understand the main goal. What I don’t get is why they continue to roll after rolling a number at which point the main goal is out of reach. It’s that level of rules that hasn’t been clear to me or those around me.

Whether I am brain dead on understanding the rules of the promotion does not change the fact that the crowd, in general, is not revved up by most of the promotions. Which is essentially a gift to the opposing coach in the described scenario.
You get the grand prize for rolling all 6 letters but you still get a prize as long as you roll 2. With each person that has rolled at least 2 letters it's been announced that they got an Aggie Wristband and this week a high five from Big Blue. I believe 1 winner that got 3 letters won a gift card somewhere.

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » January 27th, 2020, 2:38 pm

1. Big blue high five
2. Aggie wristband
3. Visa gift card
4. Coach smith signed coach smith shirt
5. I forget
6. Scholarship

I think that’s what it is. I don’t run the promotions but I am on the court taking pictures of them every game.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Some of the lack of excitement has to be blamed on the participants. Strictly from evaluating the excitement from the fans, there are not too many things less exciting than watching some out of shape participant who takes 3 tries to make a layup, followed by air balling 5 free throw attempts, never even making it to the three point line or half court shot. If you have never held a basketball in your life, know your complete lack of athleticism, and don't sign up to win a car. Additionally, if you are serious about winning, don't have your ball cap visor facing forward, as that will obviously distract your shot. Take off your piece of crap hat or put it on backwards, and stay off my lawn dang it!! :joking:

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » January 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm

It should be common sense, if not a requirement, that any time an opponent calls a timeout due to an Aggie run, that the PA System play "Mony Mony" at high volume the entirety of the timeout.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » January 27th, 2020, 5:58 pm

For the promotional game they should make it more exciting but also still highly improbable by having the first die with 6 sides of A, the next 5 sides of G, the next 4 sides of G, the next 3 sides of I, the next 2 sides of E and the last 1 side of S. The odds are still stacked heavily against the participant (1.5% odds if my maths are correct) but at least the game might go beyond the first roll and keep the crowd engaged. As it stands, the promotional game is absurd.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 27th, 2020, 7:26 pm

How do I get name in for the car promotion?

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 7:26 pm
How do I get name in for the car promotion?
Dress up in a fat suit when you drop your name at Wilson motor. They will see you put your name in the box, and they will think, “There is no way in hell that guy can win.” They will magically draw your name, and you are good to go. Make sure to read my post above for tips if you like to wear hats. :sarcasm:

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 28th, 2020, 11:14 am

should do away with EVERY AND ALL of those stupid games they play during time outs. lame and embarrassing

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 28th, 2020, 7:07 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 11:14 am
should do away with EVERY AND ALL of those stupid games they play during time outs. lame and embarrassing
Your face is lame and embarrassing.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 28th, 2020, 8:10 pm

tysteve20 wrote:1. Big blue high five
2. Aggie wristband
3. Visa gift card
4. Coach smith signed coach smith shirt
5. I forget
6. Scholarship

I think that’s what it is. I don’t run the promotions but I am on the court taking pictures of them every game.

Lol are you the one that visit your (I assume) parents in section T?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic