Did the team fly direct to Laramie or to Denver and bus up?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » January 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm

The bus trip from Denver through Cheyenne to Laramie can be bad this time of the year.

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Did the team fly direct to Laramie or to Denver and bus up?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 28th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Cheyenne is always an option. I know volleyball will sometimes bus there when they play in September and it's a safe bet the roads will be good, but fly when they play in November and there is the risk of the roads being bad.

There was another time our women played there, back when Wyoming wasn't in our conference so it was a non-league game, and they bused there and played in the afternoon with the intention of going home right after the game, but instead, the highway was closed so they had to go back to their hotel after the game. Even after the highway was open, the bus driver still would not leave for a couple hours after that.

I know a Wyoming fan who sometimes drives back there for games, more so football but also a few basketball games a year, that was stuck at Little America at the same time as the Utah basketball team.

I also remember once I was supposed to unload cabinets from a truck about this time of the year, but the truck got stuck in Wyoming cause of the weather.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm

I can't tell you what the team did, but I live in the Fort Collins/Loveland area and it has not snowed here all month. It sprinkled a little yesterday, but nothing big. Wyoming weather can be much different, but I doubt they had problems.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 28th, 2020, 6:02 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote: I know volleyball will sometimes bus there when they play in September and it's a safe bet the roads will be good
I'm from WYO and I've driven that road more times than I can count. Moreso west of Laramie (towards Rawlins) than east to Cheyenne, but on that stretch of I-80, there's NEVER a time when its a safe bet the roads will be good :nono:
Aggiestyle wrote: The bus trip from Denver through Cheyenne to Laramie can be bad this time of the year.
can be bad from here to Boise this time of year as well, I hear? :lol:
i just hope we don't crap the bed tonight like we did that night, eh?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 28th, 2020, 6:57 pm

The only sure bet is to fly to Denver and then Cheyenne as I-80 is closed about 1/2 the winter between Rock Springs and Laramie and driving from Denver is a nightmare of traffic. However, I had to go to Salt Lake and back from Rock Springs today and things were good until I got back and it was unseasonable warm sleet weather of about 35 degrees so I assume they made it OK either way.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 28th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Along these lines, why are we having Scotty G and a suitcase driving to Laramie, Vegas, Colorado Springs and Albuquerque to broadcast the games instead of traveling with the team? Seems kind of Mickey Mouse for the voice of a D1 athletic team to be left to do things on the cheap.

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » January 28th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Perhaps he is like John Madden-afraid of flying.

I support our troops, especially the snipers.

ScottGarrard
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottGarrard » January 29th, 2020, 12:14 am

Let me jump in here really quick...

USU and Learfield has been more than generous in their willingness to work with me in regards to travel. Driving to some of these games have been my own choice because sometimes it just works better with the timing of my day job with the Zone. It might mean I spend a few more hours in a vehicle but it keeps me from missing the show with Hans.

And then sometimes I just prefer to drive...especially on the Vegas trip because by the time you get through security and the deal with the dumpster fire that is
McCarran airport, you’re not really saving that much time.

I just didn’t want the impression out there that USU does things on the cheap. The travel and accommodations are great and they treat all of us incredibly well.
These users thanked the author ScottGarrard for the post (total 16):
TurtleBLUERUFiOaggies22GordoAggieaggieguy13sockpuppetProvoAggieReal Life AggiesuperheroboyGreenAg and 6 more users

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 29th, 2020, 12:24 am

That's good to know Scotty. I just feel bad for you when I tune into your show with Hans and I hear how you just got back from driving all night and got 2-3 hours of sleep or how you drove through snow to get to Laramie. If your happy, that's what matters. Even if you have travel experiences of Biblical proportions.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 29th, 2020, 9:37 am

He's raking in the dough at $0.575 a mile.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » January 29th, 2020, 11:26 am

Pretty cool that Scotty will show up here and engage w/ all of us.

Thanks for the great work, Scotty!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 29th, 2020, 11:41 am

I do know they chartered from Logan to Laramie, and returned right after the game.

Laramie has a better airport than what we have in Logan they do have some commercial flights to Denver Terminal, fire station on site etc.

bpd

Post by bpd » January 29th, 2020, 11:47 am

I can't speak to the airport in Logan, but the Laramie airport is good in the summer, but in the winter many flights are cancelled do to wind/fog/snow... weather related issues. Utah State flew out of Denver last year because of this issue.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 29th, 2020, 12:06 pm

I do not believe we chartered last season, but I can say that travel this time of the year can be tough by air or on the roads. Sardine can be nasty, and the Logan airport does get closed down in winter also, The trip from Denver to Laramie can get rough for sure.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » January 29th, 2020, 8:16 pm

In Wyoming the snow never melts. It just wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 29th, 2020, 8:19 pm

ScottGarrard wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 12:14 am
Let me jump in here really quick...

USU and Learfield has been more than generous in their willingness to work with me in regards to travel. Driving to some of these games have been my own choice because sometimes it just works better with the timing of my day job with the Zone. It might mean I spend a few more hours in a vehicle but it keeps me from missing the show with Hans.

And then sometimes I just prefer to drive...especially on the Vegas trip because by the time you get through security and the deal with the dumpster fire that is
McCarran airport, you’re not really saving that much time.

I just didn’t want the impression out there that USU does things on the cheap. The travel and accommodations are great and they treat all of us incredibly well.
Big fan of yours! Keep up the good work man!

Locked Previous topicNext topic