8-15 3 point shooting

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ususports

Re: 8-15 3 point shooting

Post by ususports » February 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:13 pm
AgSpaceCase wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 11:46 am
It may be just me but it looked like Miller might have been playing with additional rules last night. It looked like he after he missed a three he had to take an inside shot before taking another three. I didn’t follow as close the second half but the first half was missed three, drive inside for floater, missed three, ten foot jumper, missed three, drive for rejected layup.

It seemed like the driving opened up space for him to miss another three. But at least it looked he wasn’t allowed to just chuck bad threes over and over again.
Sounds like more shots for a streaking D1 shooter at best.
I am pretty sure it is a rule for players to keep their clothing on the entire time. My guess is this strategy might increase attendance at women’s basketball games if allowed though.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » February 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm

So Miller is part of our best units? Now that sounds ridiculous to me
[/quote]
Have you not noticed Smith has given them all a chance to earn minutes? Unfortunately, no player at the 3 position has stood out, otherwise Miller would be sitting.

Suggesting Smith has knowingly not used the best lineup combination is absurd. If you truly believe it you should be calling for his termination.
[/quote]

After Anderson’s 20 point game vs LSU and his early play I thought for sure he would be a go to guy all year long. But after Queta returned here was never the same.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 16th, 2020, 1:36 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Have you not noticed Smith has given them all a chance to earn minutes? Unfortunately, no player at the 3 position has stood out, otherwise Miller would be sitting.

Suggesting Smith has knowingly not used the best lineup combination is absurd. If you truly believe it you should be calling for his termination.
[/quote]

After Anderson’s 20 point game vs LSU and his early play I thought for sure he would be a go to guy all year long. But after Queta returned here was never the same.
[/quote]
Anderson battled a bug for months following Jamaica.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I’m not sure why other defenses even guard him out there. If he was my guy in d I’d give him the three, go get the rebound, and I’d be the defensive player of the game. Because, if the shot is there he will take it and won’t make it. That’s a bad offensive possession. The only time he makes it consistently is his floaters inside the paint. I’d defend those more than The three

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » February 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 1:36 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

He was also sick with the flu for two days prior to last nights game. Coach was not sure about playing him at all due to Fonso not being able to practice with the team.

Where only sage brush grows

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 16th, 2020, 2:52 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 1:36 pm
FL350Aggie wrote:

[/quote]

He was also sick with the flu for two days prior to last nights game. Coach was not sure about playing him at all due to Fonso not being able to practice with the team.
[/quote]
Yup. Btw I’m not sure what you did there but the way you copied and pasted that reply I was quoted for a post I never did. Confused me for a second.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm

ususports wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:13 pm
AgSpaceCase wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 11:46 am
It may be just me but it looked like Miller might have been playing with additional rules last night. It looked like he after he missed a three he had to take an inside shot before taking another three. I didn’t follow as close the second half but the first half was missed three, drive inside for floater, missed three, ten foot jumper, missed three, drive for rejected layup.

It seemed like the driving opened up space for him to miss another three. But at least it looked he wasn’t allowed to just chuck bad threes over and over again.
Sounds like more shots for a streaking D1 shooter at best.
I am pretty sure it is a rule for players to keep their clothing on the entire time. My guess is this strategy might increase attendance at women’s basketball games if allowed though.
Freaking autocorrect. Guess I’ve typed streaking too much into my phone in the past.

And no, clothed or unclothed women’s basketball is still just too hard on the eyes.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 17th, 2020, 12:20 pm

To my un-learned eyes Fonso & Brito were the difference makers in the 2nd with their 3s when Blackwell started getting hot from the arc. Without them I had the distinct feeling I was about to watch another epic meltdown reminiscent of a certain road game in Boise that still haunts me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » February 17th, 2020, 1:16 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 10:05 pm
So if you don’t play Miller who you gonna play? Between the guard/wing spots we only have Merrill, bairstow, Brito, a gimpy Abel and Miller. Team needs more guards/wings and miller has to play regardless for depth.
Forgive me but is he really a better wing defender than Bean? The reason the SDSU guy did what he did was as much a strength issue in a game where he was allowed to body his way to the basket. Its debatable whether he's slower laterally than Miller but he brings so much other stuff to the table on both ends that the negligent difference in lateral quickness and technique don't seem to be worth it.

The other thing is that Bairstow made some big plays and took a confidence step forward against Fresno. He is a better 3 point shooter, a better defender, and has a ton of upside. if he's got the TO jitters cured a bit. The Aggies don't need to have lineups with with Bean at the 3 except when the matchups work. (Porter, Merrill, Brito, Bean, Queta (or Andersen for small ball, Kuba, Dorius backing him up).

or Brito, Merrill, Bairstow, Bean, and Queta was a great lineup in the waning minutes of Fresno.

Miller is replaceable in everything if he can't be at least a 35% 3 point shooter and 40% from 2 on his pullup or floater.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 17th, 2020, 2:36 pm

hickaggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 1:16 pm
slcagg wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 10:05 pm
So if you don’t play Miller who you gonna play? Between the guard/wing spots we only have Merrill, bairstow, Brito, a gimpy Abel and Miller. Team needs more guards/wings and miller has to play regardless for depth.
Forgive me but is he really a better wing defender than Bean? The reason the SDSU guy did what he did was as much a strength issue in a game where he was allowed to body his way to the basket. Its debatable whether he's slower laterally than Miller but he brings so much other stuff to the table on both ends that the negligent difference in lateral quickness and technique don't seem to be worth it.

The other thing is that Bairstow made some big plays and took a confidence step forward against Fresno. He is a better 3 point shooter, a better defender, and has a ton of upside. if he's got the TO jitters cured a bit. The Aggies don't need to have lineups with with Bean at the 3 except when the matchups work. (Porter, Merrill, Brito, Bean, Queta (or Andersen for small ball, Kuba, Dorius backing him up).

or Brito, Merrill, Bairstow, Bean, and Queta was a great lineup in the waning minutes of Fresno.

Miller is replaceable in everything if he can't be at least a 35% 3 point shooter and 40% from 2 on his pullup or floater.
I love that lineup and hope to see it more. Especially if Brito is shooting well in that game. Guys that can attack the basket.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » February 17th, 2020, 3:04 pm

So what if we just stopped all the negative talk about Miller, and wiped the slate clean in our mind (and eyes) and just thought nice positive thoughts about him and poured all the Karma in our hearts his way. You know he's gonna get open looks vs Wyoming and if he hits a couple maybe a transformation will occur that will be the rags to riches college basketball story of the year. And it's all because we are fair, decent, and forgiving people.

On 2nd thought....as you were. But I am rooting for the kid to do well.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
slcaggTrueBlue

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 17th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:04 pm
So what if we just stopped all the negative talk about Miller, and wiped the slate clean in our mind (and eyes) and just thought nice positive thoughts about him and poured all the Karma in our hearts his way. You know he's gonna get open looks vs Wyoming and if he hits a couple maybe a transformation will occur that will be the rags to riches college basketball story of the year. And it's all because we are fair, decent, and forgiving people.

On 2nd thought....as you were. But I am rooting for the kid to do well.
I'd be happy with Miller's time if he didn't shoot 3s. He hustles, looks good with the floaters and driving to the basket. Aside from his fear of physical contact in plays, he really has a lot going for him. It's just hard to look past all the bombing 3s.

Icrasmus always brings up Miller's elite defensive play. Great! Tell him to quit chucking from deep, and work on being a Pooh Williams or Tyler Newbold. I would LOVE if we had him transition to that sort of play.

GUS

Post by GUS » February 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Do we have a big enough sample from Bairstow to know whether he is a better shooter?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm

GUS wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Do we have a big enough sample from Bairstow to know whether he is a better shooter?
I don't think we do.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » February 19th, 2020, 8:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm
GUS wrote:
I don't think we do.
As of right now, here are the stats for the season:

Brock Miller, 53/177, 29.9% from three
Sean Baristow, 8/22, 36.4% from three

I’m no math statician, but to my memory 30 is the magic number when it comes to sample size. So, no. We don’t have quite enough but it is shaping out that way.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
aggies22

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 19th, 2020, 9:34 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 8:57 am
aggies22 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm
GUS wrote:
I don't think we do.
As of right now, here are the stats for the season:

Brock Miller, 53/177, 29.9% from three
Sean Baristow, 8/22, 36.4% from three

I’m no math statician, but to my memory 30 is the magic number when it comes to sample size. So, no. We don’t have quite enough but it is shaping out that way.
That.......is a lot of missed shots.

Locked Previous topicNext topic