Potential Storm a brewin'

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ericsil7

Potential Storm a brewin'

Post by ericsil7 » February 26th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Not to be that guy or anything, but it looks like Richard Pitinos seat is getting real warm at Minnesota guess what Minnesota native is a pretty popular choice on their message board that I was taking a gander at.

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/board ... now.95341/

I did have to laugh at one poster in the one thread that said it would be a lateral move for him and another that said Pitinos failure to bring in any PGs is why he needs to go

frankiesaysrelax

Re: Potential Storm a brewin'

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm

This was discussed last week, and when the source is a post on a forum saying the coach is on the hot seat, it isn't really a source. More like fans complaining. The team lost two of their best scorers at the start of the year and Pitino signed a 2-year extension at the end of last season.

Until I see something from at least a sports reporter in the area I'm not taking this at face value. Plus the poster just made their account on 1/3/20 so he's just a newb. To me, it looks like some fan wanting to vent so he made an account to complain.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » February 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm
This was discussed last week, and when the source is a post on a forum saying the coach is on the hot seat, it isn't really a source. More like fans complaining. The team lost two of their best scorers at the start of the year and Pitino signed a 2-year extension at the end of last season.

Until I see something from at least a sports reporter in the area I'm not taking this at face value. Plus the poster just made their account on 1/3/20 so he's just a newb. To me, it looks like some fan wanting to vent so he made an account to complain.
Frankiesaysrelax says relax.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post (total 3):
AGinNEIowatysteve20aggies22

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 26th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Murkymerk wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 2:52 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

Frankiesaysrelax says relax.
Straight from the department of redundancy department.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
sstrasser

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 26th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I doubt it will be this year, but I could see him going there down the road. Hopefully we get a few more years with smith.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 26th, 2020, 3:32 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:

This is correct. Pitino is not getting fired this year. They had a good last year, just gave him an extension, and has some bad injury luck.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 26th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Someone needs to get on that board and tell them that CSU is loaded with some very talented Freshman and Sophomores that were recruited by Medved. He might be able to lure some of them with him if Minnesota hires him.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

lionhead

Post by lionhead » February 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Don't worry....when we had injuries and the 3 loses in a row, the board was sure that Smith was a Shi$$y coach and no one at the next level would want him. We can breath freely now. :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author lionhead for the post:
ToedAg

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 26th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Difference being that we had Sam and Queta playing at the time and had already won big games prior to those loses so people were still expecting big things. Where if queta and Sam were ruled out before the season, I think I could temper my expectations.

That’s a pretty demanding fan base to expect a lot of games knowing your two best players weren’t lacing up all year.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm

lionhead wrote:Don't worry....when we had injuries and the 3 loses in a row, the board was sure that Smith was a Shi$$y coach and no one at the next level would want him. We can breath freely now. :thumbsup:
This is how bullish!t rumors start.... I don’t recall that from ‘the board.’ But if you show me that was the consensus during those weeks I’ll stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionhead

Post by lionhead » February 26th, 2020, 7:09 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm
lionhead wrote:Don't worry....when we had injuries and the 3 loses in a row, the board was sure that Smith was a Shi$$y coach and no one at the next level would want him. We can breath freely now. :thumbsup:
This is how bullish!t rumors start.... I don’t recall that from ‘the board.’ But if you show me that was the consensus during those weeks I’ll stand corrected.

Check the comments after the Boise loss. Yes it was disappointing, but many comments like I said were all over the board. What was even worse was chat. If you don't remember the comments, then you must have been making them. Hopefully not. Maybe I should have said Many on the board made comments. I never said it was the consensus, you did. It was a little tongue in cheek also.....

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 26th, 2020, 7:44 pm

lionhead wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Check the comments after the Boise loss. Yes it was disappointing, but many comments like I said were all over the board. What was even worse was chat. If you don't remember the comments, then you must have been making them. Hopefully not. Maybe I should have said Many on the board made comments. I never said it was the consensus, you did. It was a little tongue in cheek also.....
I will accept ‘some’ on the board. As far as consensus goes, how should one take “the board was sure,” other than consensus? If it wasn’t the whole board it should be stated as something other than ‘the board.’ Also, there are many on the board who don’t participate in chat so lumping what happens in chat onto ‘the board’ is also probably inaccurate. Someone states ‘the board’ this and ‘the board’ that and then someone else reads it and restates it as gospel truth. Pretty soon every single commenter on the board supposedly wants to fire [insert coach name here]. I maintain that’s how bullish!t rumors start.

These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post (total 2):
Chupamedia2004AG

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm

If Minnesota beats Maryland tonight it will be interesting to hear the comments on their board after.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 26th, 2020, 9:03 pm

It would "appear" that Minnesota is about to beat Maryland tonight.
Have we re-up'd coach Smith's contract? Perhaps now would be a good time?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » February 26th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Well they blew a 16 pt. halftime lead and lost, so I imagine the wolves will be howling even louder at the door.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm

How did they manage to lose that game.... says the USU fan.... after watching that retched Boise game.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » February 26th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm
How did they manage to lose that game.... says the USU fan.... after watching that retched Boise game.
No...their meltdown was over a full 20 minutes. We can do it in 3.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 27th, 2020, 11:04 am

What injuries did we have?

I mean, sure, it’s a long season so I’m sure every player has bumps and bruises but so does every single team in the country. That’s not unique to Utah State and isn’t a good excuse.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm

lionhead wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Don't worry....when we had injuries and the 3 loses in a row, the board was sure that Smith was a Shi$$y coach and no one at the next level would want him. We can breath freely now. :thumbsup:
I don't remember anyone saying Smith was a terrible coach. But there are intricacies that play in.

For example, I stated that games like the Air Force loss make it less likely that Craig Smith gets hired away. I stand by that. I stand by that it's often not as simple in hoops coaches that "so and so did well at a mid-major, and therefore lets hire him to coach our guys". In football you can have one good season and get hired away. I don't see that as much in basketball. Brad Stevens eventually left Butler- even after taking Butler to the Final 4. That's not an anomaly either. Larranaga, Shaka Smart, and Mike Young all had success over time at their smaller school.

Although I am concerned that Minnesota could take Coach Smith, I'm not concerned that Wake Forest will- because there is no connection and it's hard for east coast schools in competitive conferences to hire a coach who is an "up and comer" who still hasn't won a tournament game. I also dont know Pitino leaves Minnesota this year. Minnesota has good wins, and plays in the best basketball conference in the country this year. But, he's also not a lock to keep his job- and that would be bad because it could be the "right opportunity".

It's not a criticism of Craig Smith to say that every bigger school with an opening will not neccessarily pursue him.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
lionhead

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Minnesota really needed to win last night dangit. They were up 4 with 30 seconds left over #9 Maryland and lost.

We have to hope Pitino keeps his job. I think Smith will be right near the very top of their list.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » February 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm
lionhead wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm
I don't remember anyone saying Smith was a terrible coach. But there are intricacies that play in.

For example, I stated that games like the Air Force loss make it less likely that Craig Smith gets hired away. I stand by that. I stand by that it's often not as simple in hoops coaches that "so and so did well at a mid-major, and therefore lets hire him to coach our guys". In football you can have one good season and get hired away. I don't see that as much in basketball. Brad Stevens eventually left Butler- even after taking Butler to the Final 4. That's not an anomaly either. Larranaga, Shaka Smart, and Mike Young all had success over time at their smaller school.

Although I am concerned that Minnesota could take Coach Smith, I'm not concerned that Wake Forest will- because there is no connection and it's hard for east coast schools in competitive conferences to hire a coach who is an "up and comer" who still hasn't won a tournament game. I also dont know Pitino leaves Minnesota this year. Minnesota has good wins, and plays in the best basketball conference in the country this year. But, he's also not a lock to keep his job- and that would be bad because it could be the "right opportunity".

It's not a criticism of Craig Smith to say that every bigger school with an opening will not neccessarily pursue him.
I agree with you. I was being a little tongue in cheek with my comment. There are times when a loss creates comments that are not really needed. I think that if we win the MWC Tourney, Smith will be high on many big programs lists. To take USU from nowhere to two conference championships in his first two years, is pretty big. Go Aggies!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 27th, 2020, 5:36 pm

lionhead wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I agree with you. I was being a little tongue in cheek with my comment. There are times when a loss creates comments that are not really needed. I think that if we win the MWC Tourney, Smith will be high on many big programs lists. To take USU from nowhere to two conference championships in his first two years, is pretty big. Go Aggies!
I can't help but hear this in Coach Smith's voice... A very enthusiastic half-yell with a voice that sounds like it's going out.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
MrBiggle

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 27th, 2020, 5:44 pm

They don't want Coach Smith, he's terrible! Calls us "Eggies" - that's just egregious! :joking:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
lionhead

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2020, 6:35 pm

If we were to somehow win the mwc tourney again this year, I put the odds of Coach Smith returning next season at about 0.01%.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
lionhead

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 27th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Serious question, are any of Smith's assistants up to par or have the chops to be a good HC? I don't even know who the head assistant coach is?

bpd

Post by bpd » February 27th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 6:35 pm
If we were to somehow win the mwc tourney again this year, I put the odds of Coach Smith returning next season at about 0.01%.
That depends on lots of things. How many high major jobs come open? I don't think very many at all. Of those jobs that come open, what jobs are they? I don't see a lot of can't pass up programs opening. Wake Forest does not make any sense. Minnesota is a danger IF they make a move, Beilein is still out there though. How much does he like Utah St?

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm

I don’t see Smith or Queta leaving after this year. I think Smith has at least a 4-5 year vision for this program and won’t be leaving before that unless a job offer is just too good to pass up comes along. Which like bpd mentioned is un likely this year. Also, Smiths history shows that he sticks around for 4-5 years before moving up and has completely flipped the program.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2020, 11:27 pm

I guess the potential big job openings are:

Texas, Wake Forest, Minnesota & maybe Notre Dame.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 28th, 2020, 6:23 am

Dkdavis wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm
I don’t see Smith or Queta leaving after this year. I think Smith has at least a 4-5 year vision for this program and won’t be leaving before that unless a job offer is just too good to pass up comes along. Which like bpd mentioned is un likely this year. Also, Smiths history shows that he sticks around for 4-5 years before moving up and has completely flipped the program.
Hope he stays, but he has flipped the program. If you would have asked someone in the summer of 2018 how the aggie basketball team would do the next 2 years, nobody would say conference champs both season and tournament, 8 seed in the dance, and another very good year with a tournament appearance. (Likely). Smith has done an A+ job. I imagine he stays a little longer, but he does give me serious urban meyer vibes of not just being a good coach, but one that will win national titles. Hartwell made a great hire.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » February 28th, 2020, 7:17 am

Dkdavis wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm
If Texas, Minnesota, or Notre Dame make an offer, I think he is gone. It will be too good to turn down.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 28th, 2020, 7:30 am

Such is life as a high mid-major. If you hire well, your coach is gone. If you hire poorly, you suffer watching a bad team. I prefer hiring a good coach and enjoying the time they spend in the program.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
usufan1

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 28th, 2020, 7:42 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 7:35 pm
Serious question, are any of Smith's assistants up to par or have the chops to be a good HC? I don't even know who the head assistant coach is?
I’ve heard Austin Hansen could pick up and keep it going. But I could be wrong. Who knows on assistants when you have no direct tie inside the program.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 28th, 2020, 7:56 am

NVAggie wrote:Such is life as a high mid-major. If you hire well, your coach is gone. If you hire poorly, you suffer watching a bad team. I prefer hiring a good coach and enjoying the time they spend in the program.
Excepting Stew, right?

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
NVAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 28th, 2020, 7:59 am

Ya'll are resigned to losing Smith?
Why?
Re-up his contract. He seems to love living in Cache Valley, seems to be a perfect fit at USU, why not try to keep him for the next decade?
Going to a meddling P5 program is fools gold.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » February 28th, 2020, 8:24 am

Sl7vk wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 7:59 am
Ya'll are resigned to losing Smith?
Why?
Re-up his contract. He seems to love living in Cache Valley, seems to be a perfect fit at USU, why not try to keep him for the next decade?
Going to a meddling P5 program is fools gold.
Check out the list of basketball coaches salaries, that's all you need to know. I'm not saying that Coach Smith is all about the money, I don't think he is, but that's a lot of cheddar pass up. Guys with his ability are going to get those opportunities, it takes a unique individual to pass it up and stay to build a legacy.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basket ... 0-24-2019/

Btw, this is absolutely ridiculous:

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic