Dallin Hall - Fremont

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FireAg

Dallin Hall - Fremont

Post by FireAg » February 28th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Been watching a fair of state tournament games. Hall from Fremont is legit. Anyone know if we’ve offered or even if we’re interested? The best player I’ve seen in the state.

Roy McAvoy

Re: Dallin Hall - Fremont

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 28th, 2020, 10:58 pm

We’ve recruited him very hard and had him on an official visit.

Unfortunately, it seems like he’s BYU bound.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » February 28th, 2020, 11:04 pm

With that name there’s not way he goes anywhere except Provo.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 28th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Brandon Gurney is reporting that Hall is down to us, byu, and utah. He will make his decision after the season.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 29th, 2020, 12:00 am

As I said in an earlier post, he has Sam Merrill written all over him. I know a few people around him and no one knows what he’s thinking. My gut is it’s between us and BYU. I’m guessing he goes south, but we should throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to go our way. He is going to be a star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 29th, 2020, 12:31 am

Is there a single reason to believe this guy is coming to Logan? Just not seeing it. Hope I’m wrong.

Donman

Post by Donman » February 29th, 2020, 1:08 am

Because he says he might?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 29th, 2020, 5:33 am

I hope recruits don’t read this board. He would be a big time commit.

He would be smart to pick usu as smith is the best coach and most like able coach in the state, and usu and Logan is a great place (by far better than slc or Provo). The spectrum is an awesome environment. I’d also assume a lot of kids from his hs go to usu.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
sneed

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » February 29th, 2020, 6:17 am

These users thanked the author Cheecho6 for the post:
slcagg

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 29th, 2020, 7:38 am

Look, I’d love to have Dallin on our team. He seems like a great player and I’m sure he’s a great player.

Does anyone have a historic list of in-state LDS kids that chose USU over an offer from BYU? Jared Quayle is the only name that immediately comes to mind during my time as a fan as a possibility. I know Tai Wesley was famously spurned by BYU and then chose USU. Did Newbold have a BYU offer?

I’m sure Sam could have had a BYU offer had he allowed himself to be recruited.

I guess I’m always going to be super skeptical of beating out BYU for LDS recruits from Utah (unless of course, the kid grew up a USU fan like Merrill and Quayle).
Last edited by ineptimusprime on February 29th, 2020, 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
aggieman2828oleblu111

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 29th, 2020, 7:41 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 7:38 am
Look, I’d love to have Dallin on our team. He seems like a great player and I’m sure he’s a great player.

Does anyone have a historic list of in-state LDS kids that chose USU over an offer from BYU? Jared Quayle is the only name that immediately comes to mind during my time as a fan as a possibility. I know Tai Wesley was famously spurned by BYU and then chose USU. Did Newbold have a BYU offer?
Sam Merrill?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 29th, 2020, 7:46 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

I guess I’m always going to be super skeptical of beating out BYU for LDS recruits from Utah (unless of course, the kid grew up a USU fan like Merrill and Quayle).
I understand your concern. Let’s see if smith and team can reel him in. Maybe he is an aggie fan. Or Let’s go play in at a hs gym in Pepperdine this weekend or go play at the pit. I think we have a few things to sell that BYU does not. Hopefully they will appeal to him.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 29th, 2020, 7:47 am

Hall was really good last night in their win over Layton. Literally carried his team to victory. He’s a mission kid. Virginia was going to offer until he told them he’s mission bound. They wanted him to play a year and then leave. Sat next to him at last years Nevada game. He had a great time, said he loved the atmosphere. We discussed BYU (They hadn’t offered yet) and I defiantly got the feeling that’s where he’s gonna end up). On another note, Layton has a kid that’s 6’11 and can play. Fremonts biggest guy is 6’3. Layton HAS had him post up TWICE the entire game (he scored both times) spent the rest of the night hanging out at the three point line. Worst coaching performance in have ever seen. Layton has by far the best overall roster in the state. Their front line goes 6’11, 6’8 and 6’7. All the post players will play college ball. Pathetic.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 29th, 2020, 7:54 am

Let the kid make his decision. He is fortunate to live in a state with 4 really good options to play college ball. It sounds like Weber isn't on the table. If he goes to USU, I'd be thrilled, he sounds like a fantasic player. The Aggie influence in Weber county is pretty good-- I had a lot of friends from high school go up to USU, second only to Weber State. If he decides to go to BYU, then good for him, I wish him all the best. Our staff knows how to recruit, coach, and develop players, and I can't imagine a better place to play. If he goes to the U, it will likely be because of the PAC-12, which is a valid reason. Either way, best of luck to him, hope he comes out in Aggie blue!

When was his official visit? I hope they got him out here for a good game.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 29th, 2020, 7:59 am

slcagg wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 7:46 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I understand your concern. Let’s see if smith and team can reel him in. Maybe he is an aggie fan. Or Let’s go play in at a hs gym in Pepperdine this weekend or go play at the pit. I think we have a few things to sell that BYU does not. Hopefully they will appeal to him.
I absolutely agree USU is an objectively better place than BYU for every kid in the entire universe. I hope he did grow up a USU fan, but him even considering BYU throws a bit of a wrench in that theory, unless he’s playing the long game and toying with them. :lol:

I came in a little hot on this topic and in the last thread, and for that I apologize. But I just look at: (1) our historic success rate at getting top-shelf LDS talent from Utah (not named Merrill); (2) our historic lack of tourney success with the Utah LDS kids we do get after BYU and Utah sign the first tier guys.

If we can get guys like Dallin to start signing, I will change my tune. Until then, I like the Craig Smith approach of focusing on building our team with international and out-of-state guys. I think that’s our best chance of having the best roster we can possibly have.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » February 29th, 2020, 8:32 am

The Gonzaga approach. They have two guys from Washington and a whole lot of international dudes and have for years.

I would love to have the same success as the football team at getting local kids, but basketball only has a handful of spots and we need to maximize the talent. I think if we get a good mix like we have now, we'll have success. We need local kids because that's who builds your school and program. Out of state LDS kids, we've got a whole lot of LDS students and provo isn't for everyone. JC transfers, kids that have talent and have shown they can play. International, the diamonds in the rough that can have huge payoff.

I like Hall, I hope he comes here, he could definitely be another Sam. Not just the player, but the player you can build the local fans around.

Go Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 29th, 2020, 8:38 am

Gary Wilkinson and David Collette both chose USU over BYU.

FireAg

Post by FireAg » February 29th, 2020, 8:40 am

I do think that Hall would be reasonably successful anywhere he goes - but we would most likely build our team and offensive sets around him. He has the ability to finish at the rim or to snipe from outside. He would probably be a 2000 plus career scorer at Utah State or a good player who contributed a lot at Utah or BYU.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 29th, 2020, 8:47 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 8:38 am
In terms of walking on? Didn’t Collette walk on his first year at Usu and then earned a scholarship?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 29th, 2020, 8:50 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Did you listen to the aggie legends interview with Gary. Really good listen if you haven’t listened.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 29th, 2020, 8:59 am

Dallin Hall would be fantastic. He has the potential to be a sam like player. He would have potential to leave a legacy.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 29th, 2020, 9:00 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 8:47 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
In terms of walking on? Didn’t Collette walk on his first year at Usu and then earned a scholarship?
He took an academic scholarship first but it was with the stipulation that he would have an athletic scholarship waiting for him when he came back from his mission. Collete was definitely not a walk-on.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 29th, 2020, 10:24 am

slcagg wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 5:33 am

He would be smart to pick usu as smith is the best coach and most like able coach in the state, and usu and Logan is a great place (by far better than slc or Provo). The spectrum is an awesome environment. I’d also assume a lot of kids from his hs go to usu.
Because some Usu fans are saying on a message board they think he’ll commit to BYU would sway his decision?

I don’t see how recruits reading this board with anything said previous to your post would have any impact at all.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 29th, 2020, 10:40 am

slcagg wrote:

If recruits were to read both this board and cougar board, I'm quite certain it would sway them towards USU.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
sneed

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 29th, 2020, 11:05 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:40 am
slcagg wrote:

If recruits were to read both this board and cougar board, I'm quite certain it would sway them towards USU.
True statement my friend.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 29th, 2020, 11:17 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 10:40 am
slcagg wrote:

But we all know that Cougarboard is unreadable due to formatting...

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 29th, 2020, 11:36 am

I don't understand the defeatist attitude about in-state recruiting. I've always feel we get good players.
Of course we don't get the guys who are legacy kids for another school, or the ones who grew up going to games at one of the other schools, those will always be a challenge. But we do well with all others.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 7:47 am
Hall was really good last night in their win over Layton. Literally carried his team to victory. He’s a mission kid. Virginia was going to offer until he told them he’s mission bound. They wanted him to play a year and then leave. Sat next to him at last years Nevada game. He had a great time, said he loved the atmosphere. We discussed BYU (They hadn’t offered yet) and I defiantly got the feeling that’s where he’s gonna end up). On another note, Layton has a kid that’s 6’11 and can play. Fremonts biggest guy is 6’3. Layton HAS had him post up TWICE the entire game (he scored both times) spent the rest of the night hanging out at the three point line. Worst coaching performance in have ever seen. Layton has by far the best overall roster in the state. Their front line goes 6’11, 6’8 and 6’7. All the post players will play college ball. Pathetic.

I disagree about Layton having by far the best overall roster. They have really good size, but Davis is really deep top to bottom with guys that can shoot and defend. When they get hot, they are crazy good. Leonhardt gets a ton of steals and deflections, and has really good handles. Jake Sampson shoots the lights out. They beat Fremont earlier this year by about 40 pts, and won most games by double digits. They don't have any one dominant player, but they are all really good, so if you can contain one guy,there are 4 others who can make you pay. They are one of the best high schools teams I have seen in the state since the Lone Peak dynasty.

I think Hall is the best (Non-Wasatch Academy) player in the state, with Falslev being a close second. Layton's 6'11" guy tries to play like Dirk or Porzingis. He could be really good given the right system, but I don't think he is a major college player.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 29th, 2020, 12:15 pm

How many players will Davis have go on to play college basketball at any level? Layton has 4. One of them won’t because he is a better baseball player. When you have 3 front court players all over 6’7 that can all play and will play at the next level, you should beat a team that has 1 tremendous player. Layton loves the 3 and rarely posts up the bigs despite mismatches the entire game. I think Davis is the better team due to coaching. My opinion of course.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 29th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Given the head-head results of BYU over USU and BYUs ranking, and win over the #2 team in the country - I think USU has an uphill recruiting battle. The Aggies have got to start winning these games against BYU. It's really hurting recruiting in state.

Eutaw St. Aggie

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 29th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Haven’t played BYU in spectrum since 2016 and we had the last years of Morrill and Duryea years in there but yes it’s been one sided last 10 games. Hopefully Smith around a few more years and can right the ship against them and get them in the Spectrum.

Besides Gonzaga the WCC would be such a negative for me if I was a recruit. Small gyms and no rivalries.

Pope is the “hot” thing right now and BYU is quite the pull for LDS members especially in Utah. Definitely an uphill battle in recruiting for Dallin
These users thanked the author SpectrumMagic for the post:
oleblu111

ususports

Post by ususports » February 29th, 2020, 2:18 pm

SpectrumMagic wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Haven’t played BYU in spectrum since 2016 and we had the last years of Morrill and Duryea years in there but yes it’s been one sided last 10 games.
The 2016 was in SLC. They played us in Logan in 2017.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm

What we need to do is make some national waves and perform well in the NCAA tournament if we want to change the narrative.

I dont think from a basketball perspective that playing for BYU offers as much as USU does - not in coaching, player development, fan experience, or conference affiliation. Really the only aspect that BYU may be seen as a positive to an LDS recruit is the church angle and I would argue that even that is better at USU where one is not living among 20k babysitters that are looking to personally enforce the honor code.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » February 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 2:28 pm
What we need to do is make some national waves and perform well in the NCAA tournament if we want to change the narrative.

I dont think from a basketball perspective that playing for BYU offers as much as USU does - not in coaching, player development, fan experience, or conference affiliation. Really the only aspect that BYU may be seen as a positive to an LDS recruit is the church angle and I would argue that even that is better at USU where one is not living among 20k babysitters that are looking to personally enforce the honor code.
I agree with the conference affiliation, not sure about coaching or player development, fan experience would be very much the same. If one does not plan on breaking the honor code is that really a problem ?

ususports

Post by ususports » February 29th, 2020, 4:15 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm
If one does not plan on breaking the honor code is that really a problem ?
I am guessing that even players who have broken the honor code in the past didn’t “plan” to do so when they signed their LOI to come to BYU

Locked Previous topicNext topic