Obligatory officiating post

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7984
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Obligatory officiating post

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 5th, 2020, 10:18 pm

My commenting record here is consistent: no one is out to get us, yes, some refs are better than others. Officials don't cost us games. We do it to ourselves.

But tonight? How does one guy, playing on the perimeter with a penchant of not committing fouls, get called with four fouls in five minutes?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggiehipsterdoofus21



SBC_packers
Posts: 19
Joined: September 10th, 2015, 3:37 pm
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by SBC_packers » March 5th, 2020, 10:27 pm

While the other team presses all game and gets very few.
These users thanked the author SBC_packers for the post (total 4):
ProvoAggiehipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13sneed



hickaggie
Posts: 3058
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by hickaggie » March 5th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Yeah, the whole first half they let everything go and then decided to call everything the whole 2nd half. College basketball has a lot to address IMO. Between the inconsistencies and dumb reviews stopping the game for 15 minutes for flagrant fouls and other crap that no one used to bat an eye at and hand check rules that change from half to half.

If you aren't a fan of a team I think its hard to watch.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4390 times
Been thanked: 2531 times
Contact:

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by aggies22 » March 5th, 2020, 10:28 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:18 pm
My commenting record here is consistent: no one is out to get us, yes, some refs are better than others. Officials don't cost us games. We do it to ourselves.

But tonight? How does one guy, playing on the perimeter with a penchant of not committing fouls, get called with four fouls in five minutes?
Now you're starting to see things my way!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1260
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by ThunderAggie » March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm

Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?



Intermeddler
Posts: 1943
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm

The way they call fouls a limit of 5 is too low. They rack up fouls then realize they can’t foul 5 guys out and swallow whistles. Makes for disjointed games.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21sneed



Intermeddler
Posts: 1943
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
Queta reached and then the guy grabbed and hooked? Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1260
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by ThunderAggie » March 5th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
Queta reached and then the guy grabbed and hooked? Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
I mean yeah he reached a little but didn't seem like he really even touched him. Although I could be wrong...



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4390 times
Been thanked: 2531 times
Contact:

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by aggies22 » March 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
The officials weren't men enough to admit they were wrong, so rather than rescind the foul on Neemias, they let that stand and tacked on the foul on Jackson.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies



Intermeddler
Posts: 1943
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 10:34 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
Queta reached and then the guy grabbed and hooked? Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
I mean yeah he reached a little but didn't seem like he really even touched him. Although I could be wrong...
Definitely seemed minimal. Probably a no call if his arm doesn’t get hooked. My biggest complaint is guys who do stuff that is unnatural just to get calls and then get rewarded.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
MetsJetsAggies



Elkaggie
Posts: 3739
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Elkaggie » March 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
The officials weren't men enough to admit they were wrong, so rather than rescind the foul on Neemias, they let that stand and tacked on the foul on Jackson.
I could be wrong but they can’t review fouls. The review was for the NM player.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
frankiesaysrelax
Posts: 439
Joined: August 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by frankiesaysrelax » March 5th, 2020, 10:39 pm

At one point both coaches were yelling for fouls at the sane time. When neither coach is happy it seems inconsistent



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9296
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4390 times
Been thanked: 2531 times
Contact:

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by aggies22 » March 5th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
The officials weren't men enough to admit they were wrong, so rather than rescind the foul on Neemias, they let that stand and tacked on the foul on Jackson.
I could be wrong but they can’t review fouls. The review was for the NM player.
Admittedly, I'm not sure how that works but it was Jackson who initiated the contact in the first place.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1759
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Aggie84025 » March 5th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Refs were garbage. I usually don't get on refs, but tonight was bad. Did they show the review of brito's fast break layup on tv that was blocked? It looked like it was blocked after hit the backboard. At least it appeared that way from my angle at the game.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieaggies22Full



MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 6367
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 5th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Refs were garbage. I usually don't get on refs, but tonight was bad. Did they show the review of brito's fast break layup on tv that was blocked? It looked like it was blocked after hit the backboard. At least it appeared that way from my angle at the game.
Refs were truly horrendous, I'm shocked we won the game. But that Brito layup I think was blocked right as it hit the backboard
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
NVAggie



User avatar
CodingAggieBlue
Posts: 239
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:25 am
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by CodingAggieBlue » March 5th, 2020, 11:05 pm

About 4 minutes into the game, Porter lost the ball after dribbling it off a UNM defender's foot. It should have been a kick ball but nothing was called. Less than 2 minutes later, UNM threw up a high pass to the corner. The receiving player jumped up and had to rotate to catch the pass. They came down with their toe over the line. It should have been out-of-bounds but nothing was called. USU had something similar happen a few plays later and (Miller?) came down with his heel on the line. Again, nothing was called.

It was too early to tell if foul calls would be consistent, but I knew that both teams were in for some rough officiating when the refs couldn't even enforce the basic rules. So frustrating to watch... :bangwall:



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5384
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 642 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 5th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I don’t really get it. The refs were so bad for the first 33 minutes or so of the game and New Mexico was getting all of the calls.

Then the last 7 minutes or so it finally even out and usu started getting the calls they weren’t getting all game.

Makes no sense to me.



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6176
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 6th, 2020, 10:04 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:11 pm
I don’t really get it. The refs were so bad for the first 33 minutes or so of the game and New Mexico was getting all of the calls.

Then the last 7 minutes or so it finally even out and usu started getting the calls they weren’t getting all game.

Makes no sense to me.
Box Score shows 21 PF for each team. Play by Play shows 1 foul in last 7:32 on US and 6 on NM. That would mean in the first 32:28 it was 20-15 which isn't extremely one-sided.

Interesting note - PbP in espn.com shows that US had 2 fouls called in the final 10:28 - Miller and the Queta double-foul thing.
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
oleblu111


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

UStateTim
Posts: 176
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by UStateTim » March 6th, 2020, 10:10 am

Let's not forget when Merrill was bulldozed in the first half and they called it out of bounds on him instead of a foul. After that, NM hits a three and the momentum shifted their way.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
aggies22



sneed
Posts: 838
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has thanked: 895 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by sneed » March 6th, 2020, 11:21 am

The intentional really worked out for us. Yes it was a bad call and should have just been a foul on UNM but because everyone was calling for a Flagrant 1 on Quetta and wanted a review they saw it was a bad call and it was UNM that hooked and didn’t let go.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15859
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 1025 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 6th, 2020, 11:29 am

UStateTim wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 10:10 am
Let's not forget when Merrill was bulldozed in the first half and they called it out of bounds on him instead of a foul. After that, NM hits a three and the momentum shifted their way.
He got mauled on a drive and Queta picked up foul #3 reaching for the loose ball too.



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 4108
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm

Yeah, refs sucked, but they weren't biased.


Formerly TulsAGGIE

User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1283
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by MrBiggle » March 6th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Refs were garbage. I usually don't get on refs, but tonight was bad. Did they show the review of brito's fast break layup on tv that was blocked? It looked like it was blocked after hit the backboard. At least it appeared that way from my angle at the game.
In the replay i watched it indeed bounced off the backboard and then got blocked, someone in chat claimed that it wasn’t above the rim, which negates a goaltend?


Where only sage brush grows

Usu0505
Posts: 550
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by Usu0505 » March 6th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:33 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm
Also....how was there a foul on Queta yet a flagrant on them!?
The officials weren't men enough to admit they were wrong, so rather than rescind the foul on Neemias, they let that stand and tacked on the foul on Jackson.
I could be wrong but they can’t review fouls. The review was for the NM player.
They can review the flagrant hooking foul then take away the other plates foul if he wasn’t the one hooking I believe


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG
Posts: 456
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by tipitup » March 6th, 2020, 3:43 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 3:30 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Refs were garbage. I usually don't get on refs, but tonight was bad. Did they show the review of brito's fast break layup on tv that was blocked? It looked like it was blocked after hit the backboard. At least it appeared that way from my angle at the game.
In the replay i watched it indeed bounced off the backboard and then got blocked, someone in chat claimed that it wasn’t above the rim, which negates a goaltend?
this is what i found on the rule: When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight.In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
MrBiggle



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by TheAKAggie » March 6th, 2020, 3:46 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:At one point both coaches were yelling for fouls at the sane time. When neither coach is happy it seems inconsistent
In the officiating world we say if both coaches are mad we did our job.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15859
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 1025 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 6th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Yeah, refs sucked, but they weren't biased.
They seemed a little biased against our two best players.



pilotaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by pilotaggie » March 6th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Yeah, refs sucked, but they weren't biased.
This was the key last night. They just weren't very good plain and simple. I just want to see a consistent game called for 40 minutes. This game was strange. We committed 21 fouls but 10 of them happened in the first 8 minutes of the second half, four of those on Sam.


This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1939
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by AggiesForever » March 6th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Sam has developed this "fall down" move every time he takes a shot inside. He started doing it last year and got some calls out of it. But the refs are not calling it any more and Sam needs to knock it off, if not because its not effective, because of the wear and tear on his body that he doesn't need to absorb any more.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by TheAKAggie » March 6th, 2020, 6:07 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Yeah, refs sucked, but they weren't biased.
This was the key last night. They just weren't very good plain and simple. I just want to see a consistent game called for 40 minutes. This game was strange. We committed 21 fouls but 10 of them happened in the first 8 minutes of the second half, four of those on Sam.
Sam did not go into the half with zero fouls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by dyedblue » March 6th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Sam did have zero fouls in the first half. I don’t think the refs were biased, but I do think they sucked. In the first half you could practically murder someone. Sam and Bean both got nailed multiple times with no calls. Then in the second half suddenly everything was foul. Calling four fouls on Sam within five minutes was ridiculous, especially given the beating he took in the first half. Consistency is the key.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7984
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by FloridaAggie13 » March 6th, 2020, 6:34 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 6:07 pm
pilotaggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Yeah, refs sucked, but they weren't biased.
This was the key last night. They just weren't very good plain and simple. I just want to see a consistent game called for 40 minutes. This game was strange. We committed 21 fouls but 10 of them happened in the first 8 minutes of the second half, four of those on Sam.
Sam did not go into the half with zero fouls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He had zero fouls at halftime. Five minutes later he had four fouls.



pilotaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by pilotaggie » March 6th, 2020, 6:36 pm

His first foul was 8 seconds into second half.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5430
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Obligatory officiating post

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 6th, 2020, 7:55 pm




Post Reply Previous topicNext topic