One sports league resuming

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

One sports league resuming

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 7th, 2020, 7:00 pm

The German soccer league is resuming May 16, though predictably without fans. So hopefully that is the first domino towards other sports resuming in the snowball effect.

Italy started the trend of empty stadiums, then cancelling before it got easy for other soccer leagues in Europe to cancel. The first domino of sports cancellations in the states was Chicago State refusing to play in Seattle. Then it snowballed into one league cancelling the conference tournament. Then a few leagues closing tournaments to fans snowballed into everyone doing it and the NCAA Tournament doing it. Then a few other leagues cancelling their conference tournament altogether snowballed into every league doing it snowballing into the NCAA Tournament being off. The NBA shutting down snowballed into the NHL and MLB.

On the flipside, a few soccer leagues starting up could gradually snowball into every league back up and running. And one soccer league playing with packed stands should snowball into every sport having fans like normal.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: One sports league resuming

Post by ProvoAggie » May 7th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Baseball resumed in South Korea as well.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » May 8th, 2020, 7:40 am

Nascar, UFC

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 8th, 2020, 10:30 am

I imagine the dominos will start to fall. The real question is when will fans be back? The second real question is what happens when players start testing positive? Does the league hold firm and keep it going, or does panic come in and things just get shut down again.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 8th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 10:30 am
I imagine the dominos will start to fall. The real question is when will fans be back? The second real question is what happens when players start testing positive? Does the league hold firm and keep it going, or does panic come in and things just get shut down again.

Did the NBA shut down when Magic Johnson tested HIV positive?

I have projects for which I am a design engineer under construction (and have remained under construction during the shut-down as "essential activities"). The General Contractor has a person that takes the temperature of everyone that comes onto the construction site every day. If someone has an elevated temperature, they are sent home and not allowed on the site. Could something similar be done with sports teams as they enter the locker room?

Eutaw St. Aggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 8th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 12:52 pm

I have projects for which I am a design engineer under construction (and have remained under construction during the shut-down as "essential activities"). The General Contractor has a person that takes the temperature of everyone that comes onto the construction site every day. If someone has an elevated temperature, they are sent home and not allowed on the site. Could something similar be done with sports teams as they enter the locker room?
These professional sports leagues make more money than they know what to do with. The NBA could just test every player/coach, etc. every 10 days if they wanted to.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 8th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Imagine us beating BYU when one of their players is sent home for a high temperature. Then we have to hear about that being the ONLY reason we won, while they ignore us being without one of our players sent home for a high temp!

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 8th, 2020, 9:14 pm

This is obviously a big step forward in resuming normal life, but in all likelihood sporting events with fans in attendance will not be happening until there is a vaccine. Which hopefully could be September at the earliest.

bpd

Post by bpd » May 9th, 2020, 8:25 am

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 9:14 pm
This is obviously a big step forward in resuming normal life, but in all likelihood sporting events with fans in attendance will not be happening until there is a vaccine. Which hopefully could be September at the earliest.
I agree with most of this. I think we may see limited fans at games. There is no way we are getting a vaccine by September. I’m hoping January and I’m being optimistic.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Apples to oranges. A high five or sneeze can spread Covid.

But yes, temperature gauging is becoming more common across companies, mine is thinking of doing something similar once they start letting people back in the office. I think if quick result saliva based testing becomes more readily available and accurate, that'd be another way of ramping the league back up. One issue with that though, especially here in the US, is that we have a culture of such limited number of paid sick days. For players less of of a big deal, but for hourly stadium staff missing a game can be a huge deal. It's why so many people just work through being sick.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 9th, 2020, 4:26 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Yossarian wrote:

But yes, temperature gauging is becoming more common across companies, mine is thinking of doing something similar once they start letting people back in the office. I think if quick result saliva based testing becomes more readily available and accurate, that'd be another way of ramping the league back up. One issue with that though, especially here in the US, is that we have a culture of such limited number of paid sick days. For players less of of a big deal, but for hourly stadium staff missing a game can be a huge deal. It's why so many people just work through being sick.
I watched a Korean Baseball Organization game last night on ESPN2. They have started their league back up. But with an empty stadium. Umpires and coaches in masks in the dugout. Players not participating are in masks. That is their first step in the path to normalcy and getting their sports back.

Kia Tigers beat the Samsung Lions, by the way.

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 9th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Yossarian wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Yossarian wrote:

I watched a Korean Baseball Organization game last night on ESPN2. They have started their league back up. But with an empty stadium. Umpires and coaches in masks in the dugout. Players not participating are in masks. That is their first step in the path to normalcy and getting their sports back.

Kia Tigers beat the Samsung Lions, by the way.
Doosan fighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 11th, 2020, 1:18 am

bpd wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 8:25 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 9:14 pm
I agree with most of this. I think we may see limited fans at games. There is no way we are getting a vaccine by September. I’m hoping January and I’m being optimistic.
Best case is probably the Oxford candidate is available to medical personnel or first responders in September and, if mass produced before they know it will work, for the masses in January.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
VegasBornAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 11th, 2020, 12:15 pm

The World Baseball Classic tournament scheduled for March 2021 was canceled today.

Eutaw St. Aggie

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » May 13th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Also keep in mind that this was during a time period in the NBA with the Bad Boy Pistons when players would get raped going to the hoop.

Locked Previous topicNext topic