USU Tier 4 Job

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

USU Tier 4 Job

Post by Texasaggie1 » June 10th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Ouch this article has USU listed as a Tier 4 (5 being the worst) type of Coaching Job
https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... ve-group-5

Notables:
Tier 1 - Donkey U
Tier 2: BYU and San Diego State
Tier 3: Air Force, CSU, Wyoming, Fresno State, and a lot more crappy schools

I really can't see Air Force or Wyoming being a better coaching spot than USU.

UncleRico
Has thanked: 0

Re: USU Tier 4 Job

Post by UncleRico » June 10th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Which tier most accurately describes USU?

Tier 3 jobs: Some resource or location limitations but enough to make bowl games consistently and challenge for conference titles; a restricted but decent recruiting pool of regional or national prospects; a rare New Year's Six appearance is the ceiling; not a realistic candidate for Power 5 expansion.

Tier 4 jobs: Moderate challenges with finances, facilities or program support; requires a unique approach in recruiting to compete with upper-tier teams in their leagues; bowl eligibility is a realistic goal most seasons, with some 10-win seasons from time to time; not much sustained history of success.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Texasaggie1 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Ouch this article has USU listed as a Tier 4 (5 being the worst) type of Coaching Job

Notables:
Tier 1 - Donkey U

I could see USU as a tier 3, but I think what bumps us down to a tier 4 is that last line, "...not much sustained history of success". I think we've corrected the ship, but the 4 decades of mediocre/less than mediocre football before Gary 1.0 is going to take some time to overcome.

Tier 3 jobs: Some resource or location limitations but enough to make bowl games consistently and challenge for conference titles; a restricted but decent recruiting pool of regional or national prospects; a rare New Year's Six appearance is the ceiling; not a realistic candidate for Power 5 expansion.

Tier 4 jobs: Moderate challenges with finances, facilities or program support; requires a unique approach in recruiting to compete with upper-tier teams in their leagues; bowl eligibility is a realistic goal most seasons, with some 10-win seasons from time to time; not much sustained history of success.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
NVAggie

Go Aggies!

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » June 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Not sure how you could even put BYU on a list like that. On paper, sure they probably got it right but so much goes into hiring the coach that it's not a conventional landing spot.

I have no clue how Air Force gets above USU but I can see Wyoming and maybe CSU being above. The Aggies are clearly the third fiddle in Utah while CSU and Wyoming have a little more weight in their state, especially Wyoming.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I would say we are an upper Tier 4 as the bottom and a mid Tier 3 as our ceiling.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 10th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Yeah can't say I disagree with us being Tier 4 based on their metric. Sucks but I think we all know that in reality.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » June 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Tier 2 jobs: Solid footing with finances, facilities and support; access to good regional recruiting areas; competes often for league championships, regularly makes bowls and occasionally challenges for the New Year's Six; some history of wins against the Power 5 (recent or long term); solid local or regional fan base.

No way does BYU meet these criteria! :-( They are not part of a league to compete for a championship in, and they are never going to a NY6 bowl.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm

USU is right as a tier 4 school we face problems with budget, location, small stadium, I could care less about YBU.

If it is important for you folks to get better than BYU then give money, go to games so that stadium expansion is needed, having the smallest stadium of any western FBS program is a example of what most of the problem is at USU.
Last edited by oleblu111 on June 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 10th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Seems about right to me. We live in a relatively small state, but yet have 3 DI football teams. We are for sure behind them in terms of money and fan base. We also are not in a recruiting hotbed and require the missionary program to be successful. Logan is also not a destination hot bed for most recruits. I love USU and am proud to be an Aggie, but am also realistic. My goal is to have consistent decent seasons with bowl eligibility. This sprinkled in with the occasional 10 win season and contention for conference championships every few years and I am satisfied. If we can continue on with the success we have experienced over the last 8 years I am satisfied.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 10th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Texasaggie1 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Notables:
Tier 1 - Donkey U

Wyo only because it's literally the only game in town with ZERO competition. Fresno State? Meh... maybe in the past.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » June 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm

The only MWC teams with a better in-conference record over the last 5 years are BSU, SDSU, and AFA.

I'd say our coaching and training staff have done fairly well for being in a "Tier 4" job situation.

I'll regret giving this praise halfway through the season when I undoubtedly start cursing the coaching again.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm
I could care less about YBU.
That means you do care at some level. If you couldn't care less, that means you literally don't care at all. After all the accusations made towards people on this board about being obsessed with BYU, I would have expected you to not be able to care any less. ;) :cheers:
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

We are institutionally unique in our standing and history, having absolutely squandered the football momentum from the 1960's and mid 70's. Schools are rated on what they have done, not where they are currently going. The burden is on us to enthuse about our school with friend, neighbors and business associates. I have to concern myself with Utah State as I can't do anything about our competitors.

Looking at the TIER Ratings I would say: THAT WAS THEN, AND THIS IS NOW. The future is in our hands and is our responsibility folks.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
sstrasser

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 10th, 2020, 2:37 pm

ususports wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm
I could care less about YBU.
That means you do care at some level. If you couldn't care less, that means you literally don't care at all. After all the accusations made towards people on this board about being obsessed with BYU, I would have expected you to not be able to care any less. ;) :cheers:
Thanks for the correction. I guess I do care, I would rather beat them than lose to them, if that is ok.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm

I'm not sold that the people that put this together (or similar lists) are all that familiar with the actual status of each program. At bare minimum, you would think it would be easy to look up winning %'s, bowl appearances, things that are quantifiable, etc. Beyond that, it requires more research and hands on time than what can probably reasonably be dedicated to such an article. Stating things like "[Boise St.] easily has the best facilities in the Mountain West...." is just lazy. I'm not even sure you could find a Bronco fan that would argue that.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 10th, 2020, 3:35 pm

It's painful to see it in print but it's probably true. I do see us fitting into the Tier 3 category though.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 10th, 2020, 4:44 pm

I think you could argue we are just as appealing of a job as CSU, Wyoming, Air Force etc.

I wonder if they did something like this in basketball where we would rate in the conference? Unlv,m and SDSU the top and then New Mexico. Then us and Nevada? I’d say Boise but they don’t really have great support.

Boiseguy

Post by Boiseguy » June 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm
I'm not sold that the people that put this together (or similar lists) are all that familiar with the actual status of each program. At bare minimum, you would think it would be easy to look up winning %'s, bowl appearances, things that are quantifiable, etc. Beyond that, it requires more research and hands on time than what can probably reasonably be dedicated to such an article. Stating things like "[Boise St.] easily has the best facilities in the Mountain West...." is just lazy. I'm not even sure you could find a Bronco fan that would argue that.
I don’t post on here much, but Boise state does have the best facilities in the MW. I’m not saying that the other schools don’t have decent facilities, but the money put into the football program at Boise State is noticeable when you walk through the facilities.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 10th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Boiseguy wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 5:59 pm
Aglicious wrote:
I don’t post on here much, but Boise state does have the best facilities in the MW. I’m not saying that the other schools don’t have decent facilities, but the money put into the football program at Boise State is noticeable when you walk through the facilities.
Not saying you are wrong as I’m not familiar with other schools facilities in the conference. But have you been through the other schools facilities to validate your opinion?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 10th, 2020, 6:18 pm

ESPN puts schools like Boise and BYU st the top of their rankings because ESPN is promoting their product. It’s sports fake news. ESPN doesn’t make money by having unbiased opinions. It makes money by driving people to their product.

If anyone puts Boise in tier 1 compared to Alabama, LSU or any other job- they are high on crack.

In the FBS world we are tier 3/4. Pay sucks, we don’t have the resources, facilities, or ability to recruit that most of the P5 has.

Guess why ESPN talks incessantly about LeBron and ignores Ovie or Carey Price? Because ESPN has the broadcast rights to the NBA and not the NHL.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:18 pm
ESPN puts schools like Boise and BYU st the top of their rankings because ESPN is promoting their product. It’s sports fake news. ESPN doesn’t make money by having unbiased opinions. It makes money by driving people to their product.

If anyone puts Boise in tier 1 compared to Alabama, LSU or any other job- they are high on crack.

In the FBS world we are tier 3/4. Pay sucks, we don’t have the resources, facilities, or ability to recruit that most of the P5 has.

Guess why ESPN talks incessantly about LeBron and ignores Ovie or Carey Price? Because ESPN has the broadcast rights to the NBA and not the NHL.
If I am not mistaken, the new MWC media rights deal is with CBS Sports and FOX, not ESPN, so that eliminates Boise State from that equation.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
oleblu111

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 10th, 2020, 7:05 pm

ususports wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:18 pm

If I am not mistaken, the new MWC media rights deal is with CBS Sports and FOX, not ESPN, so that eliminates Boise State from that equation.
Didn’t Boise retain negotiation rights after he NMX predictably caved?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 10th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

Sorry but without question Colorado State has the best facilities in the MW.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
Boiseguy

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 11th, 2020, 8:28 am

USU is a tier 4 coaching job. That's fine. We've got our coach.

We also got the right coach. A guy that wants to be here and will last the 4 years any kid commits to our program. Matt could have been that guy, but he ultimately didn't want to be here. Matt might have been a better x's and o's coach than Gary..... I say might because I'm not fully convinced. But Gary IS a much better ambassador of the program and representative of our University. He was the right hire and we should consider ourselves lucky.

In the 60's we were a great program. In the 90's/00's we might have been the worst Division 1 program in the country.
Today we are a very respectable program, with good facilities that has been a consistent winner the last 10 years. We are trending up and we should be proud.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 4):
Aggie19aggies22MachismoJSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 11th, 2020, 8:31 am

Ten years. Give it ten years at present production level and we're at three.

Give the stench ten years at production levels matching the last ten, and they're three at best.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
Aggie19aggies22NavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 11th, 2020, 8:36 am

These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 11th, 2020, 10:03 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 8:36 am
Mountain West Stadium rankings.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2019/9/18 ... m-rankings
I've had season tickets since my age was single digits. I'm completely surprised by this list.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » June 11th, 2020, 11:35 am

Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
The blue turf automatically disqualifies them from having the best facilities. Sorry, I don't make the rules

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » June 11th, 2020, 11:58 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 8:36 am
Mountain West Stadium rankings.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2019/9/18 ... m-rankings
I know Maverick is not the nicest stadium with the nicest amenities, but I love watching football games from it. The sight lines are great, the seats are elevated from the field, the fans are right on top of the field making it a good home field advantage when full. The scenery looking to the west and east is second to none in the MW in my opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Machismosstrasser

Boiseguy

Post by Boiseguy » June 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Not saying you are wrong as I’m not familiar with other schools facilities in the conference. But have you been through the other schools facilities to validate your opinion?
I personally haven’t, but I have heard that Boise State has P5 type of facilities and I have seen pictures of other schools facilities as well.

Boiseguy

Post by Boiseguy » June 11th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:13 pm
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:

I strongly disagree. I would definitely say that they have a nicer stadium (by far), but their facilities aren’t even close to what Boise has.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 11th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Boiseguy wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm
slcagg wrote:
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
I personally haven’t, but I have heard that Boise State has P5 type of facilities and I have seen pictures of other schools facilities as well.
Got it, you’ve seen pictures. Which means you know about as much as the rest of us including the writer of this article.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 11th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Boiseguy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
I recall hearing a few years ago that USU's weight room was the best in the West and on par with many other P5 weight rooms across the country. Just because I heard it doesn't make it true, even though I have seen pictures of weight rooms at other schools.

I would also venture that most D1 programs have "P5-type" facilities just not as grandiose.

Boiseguy

Post by Boiseguy » June 11th, 2020, 1:02 pm

bwcrc wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Boiseguy wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
I recall hearing a few years ago that USU's weight room was the best in the West and on par with many other P5 weight rooms across the country. Just because I heard it doesn't make it true, even though I have seen pictures of weight rooms at other schools.

I would also venture that most D1 programs have "P5-type" facilities just not as grandiose.
I invite you to look up or even tour the facilities in the mwc. If you come back and honestly tell me that bsu doesn’t have the best facilities, I will take your word. Look at recruiting, there must be some reason why higher profile recruits choose Boise over the other mw teams. None of you will accept it is because they are substantially better at the sport, so there must be some reason for it...

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Boiseguy wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:13 pm
Boiseguy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
I strongly disagree. I would definitely say that they have a nicer stadium (by far), but their facilities aren’t even close to what Boise has.
Boise Guy..............Don't get out much do you????
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic