Phil Krueger died

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GUS

Phil Krueger died

Post by GUS » June 26th, 2020, 12:57 pm

rAggie

Re: Phil Krueger died

Post by rAggie » June 26th, 2020, 1:15 pm

f.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 26th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Liked the guy: he came in during Winter Quarter drills (which I participated in) in early '73. He brought in some new stuff, which I really took to, especially the agility stuff. So much fun. Felt bad when I had to meet with him to tell him I wouldn't be participating in Spring ball. Loved his style of play, and the onthefield results were amazing.

I would judge him the only decent Aggie football coach between Mills and Andy 1.0.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 26th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Sadly the herd thins. I recall he fielded hard nosed teams on a thinning Utah State athletic budget as the program began its decline into the darkness of losing AGGIE Football.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 26th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Related to Paul Krueger?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 26th, 2020, 2:44 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Related to Paul Krueger?
If you're talking the football player, Paul Kruger, his name is spelled different. Not related.

Go Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:44 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Related to Paul Krueger?
If you're talking the football player, Paul Kruger, his name is spelled different. Not related.
I was, and I never realized his name was spelled with just the u. Thanks.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aggie19

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » June 26th, 2020, 4:42 pm

The Aggies beat Boise State in Boise during Phi's last year (The first ever meeting). It was an interesting game in that the BSU coach was Tony Knap who had left USU under controversial circumstances a few years earlier. To his credit, Tony came to the USU locker room after the game to offer congratulations. he liked Phi very much.
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post (total 3):
USU78NavyBlueAggiecdaAg

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 26th, 2020, 5:53 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:40 pm
Liked the guy: he came in during Winter Quarter drills (which I participated in) in early '73. He brought in some new stuff, which I really took to, especially the agility stuff. So much fun. Felt bad when I had to meet with him to tell him I wouldn't be participating in Spring ball. Loved his style of play, and the onthefield results were amazing.

I would judge him the only decent Aggie football coach between Mills and Andy
Seems your judgement is solid 78. Any exceptions would be staff members who arrived, as we had head coaches who were able to obtain some really good assistant coaches. Appears performance became a matter of enough money to hold a staff together, let alone attract a top shelf Head Coach.

When Bruce Snyder left he observed that "You can lose with money but you can't win without it"..
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 27th, 2020, 5:04 pm

USU78 wrote:

I would judge him the only decent Aggie football coach between Mills and Andy 1.0.
I know I’ll be called out on this, but Chuck Shelton wasn’t a bad coach, and I think he was better than mediocre. He coached in the days where we had no money, lousy facilities, and not a future to have what we have today.

I had dinner with Lou Holts the January before he started his coaching tenure at Norte Dame. The same time we hired Shelton. This dinner was at my company’s National Sales and Marketing mtg. (Huge company). I asked Lou if he knew Chuck Shelton. He said he knew him very well. I asked him if he thought Chuck could win at USU. He said this. “ Chuck is a fine coach, and he can certainly win a majority of his games if, and this is a big if, he has money, administrative support, fan support, and competitive facilities.” Now that wasn’t word for word, but pretty darn close to how he said it. He did mention all four criteria.
These things were all stumbling blocks for most of our coaches. But, there were some real bad ones too.l
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78sstrasser

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 28th, 2020, 7:54 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 5:04 pm
USU78 wrote:

I know I’ll be called out on this, but Chuck Shelton wasn’t a bad coach, and I think he was better than mediocre. He coached in the days where we had no money, lousy facilities, and not a future to have what we have today.

I had dinner with Lou Holts the January before he started his coaching tenure at Norte Dame. The same time we hired Shelton. This dinner was at my company’s National Sales and Marketing mtg. (Huge company). I asked Lou if he knew Chuck Shelton. He said he knew him very well. I asked him if he thought Chuck could win at USU. He said this. “ Chuck is a fine coach, and he can certainly win a majority of his games if, and this is a big if, he has money, administrative support, fan support, and competitive facilities.” Now that wasn’t word for word, but pretty darn close to how he said it. He did mention all four criteria.
These things were all stumbling blocks for most of our coaches. But, there were some real bad ones too.l
I enjoyed a good of conversation with Coach Shelton during his tenure at USU. Chuck was very careful not to complain about the small football budget he was working with, nor Stan Cazier, USU school president at that time. Chuck had a good football mind and was a realist and a gentleman. Coach Shelton cleaned up many personnel problems during his time in Logan.

I appreciate your comments McAggie and would believe them to be accurate. Thank you for your post.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 28th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Chuck was a huge improvement over his predecessor (whose name I won't mention). I remember Chuck commenting that when he got here the players literally didn't even know how to tackle properly. The teaching of fundamentals by the prior staff was apparently abysmal.

Locked Previous topicNext topic