1280 The Zone

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ususports

1280 The Zone

Post by ususports » April 15th, 2020, 11:08 am

I don't listen frequently enough to hear what happened. However, I just noticed that Hans and Scotty G's show has been extended (along with the big show) by an hour and replaced Tony and Austin's show. Does anyone know what happened? I am just curious.

sstrasser

Re: 1280 The Zone

Post by sstrasser » April 15th, 2020, 12:47 pm

ususports wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 11:08 am
I don't listen frequently enough to hear what happened. However, I just noticed that Hans and Scotty G's show has been extended (along with the big show) by an hour and replaced Tony and Austin's show. Does anyone know what happened? I am just curious.
I missed the announcement but I think they had to cut personnel and/or they wanted to streamline to only 3 four hour shows a day. From 6-7 pm has always been recorded content, no new material. Cause Austin is still producing the Big Show, but Tony Parks isn't around the station.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » April 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm

They have had a big loss of advertising dollars...having no live Jazz games to broadcast would have that effect. It forced them to cut several staff members. Tony Parks was laid off and Austin took a reduced role to go back to just producing Jake and Gordon's show. There were also cuts to other producers and the sales staff. All of these changes were part of larger staff reductions throughout the Jazz organization.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Tony was let go a little while ago due to layoffs across all of the Miller businesses. I hope he lands on his feet in this market. I really enjoy listening to Tony and think he is a hidden gem when it come to play-by-play. Was hoping to see him get a break in that respect soon.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
sstrasserAggiesForever

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 15th, 2020, 1:13 pm

GeoAg wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Tony was let go a little while ago due to layoffs across all of the Miller businesses. I hope he lands on his feet in this market. I really enjoy listening to Tony and think he is a hidden gem when it come to play-by-play. Was hoping to see him get a break in that respect soon.
Wow. I'm not sure anyone worked harder than Tony did for the Millers. He did radio shows, play-by-play, Jazz game MC. The guy was everywhere.
This reinforces my thoughts that job loyalty is a quality that companies love to have, but will not reward (with better pay or security). Companies love a loyal employee - it means they can work that person harder and pay them less.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
aggies22Real Life AggieAggiesForever

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2020, 2:05 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 1:13 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Wow. I'm not sure anyone worked harder than Tony did for the Millers. He did radio shows, play-by-play, Jazz game MC. The guy was everywhere.
This reinforces my thoughts that job loyalty is a quality that companies love to have, but will not reward (with better pay or security). Companies love a loyal employee - it means they can work that person harder and pay them less.
Yep and why I never blame someone for taking a better gig whether it be someone in business, coaching or anywhere else. Go where you are happy. They wont show loyalty to you.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » April 15th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Just like the radio rights going to SLC. Loyalty!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2020, 9:50 am

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 5:35 pm
Just like the radio rights going to SLC. Loyalty!
Except that was the local radio station expecting that from Utah State while continuing to lowball them.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggiesForever

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm

brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
Gotta exploit those human resources as best you can. It's another reason why companies want you to buy into their mission or goal... get you invested emotionally.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggies22

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm

brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
I have been on this end of things several times in my career, and I will never totally trust an employer. I realize the dollars and cents aspect of it, but I also know that promises go out the window in a financial turndown or other catastrophe.

I have a stable and steady career now, but I still know everyone is expendable.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
USU78

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 7th, 2020, 10:09 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 6:27 pm
brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
I have been on this end of things several times in my career, and I will never totally trust an employer. I realize the dollars and cents aspect of it, but I also know that promises go out the window in a financial turndown or other catastrophe.

Agreed. I worked my way through college working for my family's business - there's a lot of loyalty inherent there. I carried that attitude to my work after college. I worked for one start-up where I was underpaid and waiting for the company to succeed only for it to fail. Then another where I was underpaid and waiting for the fulfillment of promised windfall at an acquisition - only to be short-changed (owner broke agreements with everyone - lots of lawsuits). I feel now that many employers will use loyalty to keep good employees at below-market value and aren't concerned with what that loyalty might be costing the employee.
Now my loyalty is to my family first - I will only do what's best for them. If my employers needs align with that, we're good.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
USU78Yossarian

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 9th, 2020, 4:13 pm

brownjeans wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:09 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

Agreed. I worked my way through college working for my family's business - there's a lot of loyalty inherent there. I carried that attitude to my work after college. I worked for one start-up where I was underpaid and waiting for the company to succeed only for it to fail. Then another where I was underpaid and waiting for the fulfillment of promised windfall at an acquisition - only to be short-changed (owner broke agreements with everyone - lots of lawsuits). I feel now that many employers will use loyalty to keep good employees at below-market value and aren't concerned with what that loyalty might be costing the employee.
Now my loyalty is to my family first - I will only do what's best for them. If my employers needs align with that, we're good.
Unfortunately, one of mine came from this same University that we all cheer for when the games are happening. The economic turndown 12 years ago took a while to catch up the funding for the position I had, several years in fact. (It wasn't from USU.) Due to some major mismanagement of local elected people, dozens of people were let go, most having to be rehired a few months later. (Spending actually increased and within a year from said budget from the pre-catastrophe level.)

After notice was given on the contract termination, I was promised guaranteed interviews for similar positions. I was never given several interviews even after my applications were turned in There was no one person to blame, things are often overlooked in bureaucratic organizations.

Had a man hire me, train me, and I worked many extra hours with the promise that I would comp them out in the less busy season. (A startup as well.) He and his minority business partner had a falling out and dissolved the company, and I was told one morning after I drove in that we were done.

Due to some family issues and these events, I ended up with some serious medical bills and had to fight some in the legal system. Still working to get out some of them 3 years later and reductions made in the legal system. All of these experiences have taught me one thing, I will do what's best for me, and even the best and most well meaning bosses can't control the environment around them. (My boss at USU is still there, and she was a good boss that was blindsided by this.) I have no bitterness to USU, my kids will probably attend there, and I am still a fan. I just know that job loyalty can be overrated, I have never blamed someone leaving for a bigger paycheck.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78brownjeans

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 9th, 2020, 6:02 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 4:13 pm
brownjeans wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:09 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

Unfortunately, one of mine came from this same University that we all cheer for when the games are happening. The economic turndown 12 years ago took a while to catch up the funding for the position I had, several years in fact. (It wasn't from USU.) Due to some major mismanagement of local elected people, dozens of people were let go, most having to be rehired a few months later. (Spending actually increased and within a year from said budget from the pre-catastrophe level.)

After notice was given on the contract termination, I was promised guaranteed interviews for similar positions. I was never given several interviews even after my applications were turned in There was no one person to blame, things are often overlooked in bureaucratic organizations.

Had a man hire me, train me, and I worked many extra hours with the promise that I would comp them out in the less busy season. (A startup as well.) He and his minority business partner had a falling out and dissolved the company, and I was told one morning after I drove in that we were done.

Due to some family issues and these events, I ended up with some serious medical bills and had to fight some in the legal system. Still working to get out some of them 3 years later and reductions made in the legal system. All of these experiences have taught me one thing, I will do what's best for me, and even the best and most well meaning bosses can't control the environment around them. (My boss at USU is still there, and she was a good boss that was blindsided by this.) I have no bitterness to USU, my kids will probably attend there, and I am still a fan. I just know that job loyalty can be overrated, I have never blamed someone leaving for a bigger paycheck.
There are countless stories just like this out there.

One thing that I have learned after many years of working for many different employers - there is one person that is looking out for you and your family. One person that is concerned with your career advancement in your chosen field. One person that cares how your kids are doing and their well-being. One person that is concerned with your contentment in your work and whether you are being challenged. That one person is you. That is where your loyalty resides. If a boss holds resentment toward you for seeking better pay or a different position or even a change of employers to get a fresh point of view on how to do your job, that boss is concerned about him/herself, not you.

I have played the loyal employee. Worked hard, worked weekends and even holidays (pro bono) to meet deadlines and get work done. That may get a "great job" right after it happens, but it is quickly forgotten. I used to believe that the extra hours and effort would be noticed when raises and/or bonuses came around -- it wasn't. It's not how it should be, but it is how it is. Your loyalty is to yourself and your family.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
USU78brownjeans

Eutaw St. Aggie

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » June 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm

brownjeans wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
One of the many things that have changed in my lifetime.
It is sad but true what you have said about many a good person. Also, age discrimination is a big deal, I'm glad Clinton and that congress signed into law the ADA or many would have been terminated without at least some compensation. It has changed the game for those who for not fault of their own became 50 years old and discarded without compensation. One of the worst before ADA was Thiokol. I knew a man that was let go 6 months before his retirement date with zero to no compensation. Sad how the middle class is treated today.
Sorry I ranted but I have seen what you say about good people getting treated poorly and it makes me sad.

Roll Aggies!!!!

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 4th, 2020, 7:49 am

Try working for engineers if you want a lesson in loyalty. If you're not an engineer, than you're not a real person. ;)

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » July 4th, 2020, 10:16 am

AggiesForever wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:49 am
Try working for engineers if you want a lesson in loyalty. If you're not an engineer, than you're not a real person. ;)
That’s a common emotional response that we’ve programmed into most of the hosts.

Locked Previous topicNext topic