Realignment Idea from SI

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
thegreendalegelf

Realignment Idea from SI

Post by thegreendalegelf » June 29th, 2020, 8:40 am

Obviously not even .1% of a chance of this conference ever happening but I liked that Rocky Mountain Conference.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/29/n ... ealignment

USU
Utah
BYU
Boise State
New Mexico
Air Force
CSU
Colorado
UNLV
Wyoming
ASU
Arizona
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Realignment Idea from SI

Post by USU78 » June 29th, 2020, 8:58 am

Too much sense. Never happen.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 29th, 2020, 9:32 am

Uddah would rather die than have to be in the same conference as us.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » June 29th, 2020, 11:05 am

Just don't see this happening at all even in a Nuclear situation. The rocky mountain alignment isn't too bad, I'm sure Utah and probably BYU would be horrified with the situation but too bad, you played in a league with all of those teams in the past.

The real problem is some of the other alignments like one that has Akron in a league with Michigan and Ohio State or another one that has Arkansas State in a league with Auburn, Alabama and LSU. That's just not going to happen under any scenario.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 29th, 2020, 11:13 am

Pat Forde recognizes that it is not going to happen. But of all of the suggested realignments, this is one of the better global outcomes that I have seen. At the very least it tosses a reasonable idea out for discussion and thought. And if college football is not played this year due to COVID, I would bet that the majority of FBS schools will suffer significant financial pain and torment. Since the financial side drives college athletics, who knows what would happen as a result with realignment. It might only take one decent P5 school announcing it is dropping football due to COVID to set the dominos in motion.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiesForever

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 29th, 2020, 11:33 am

I first tried putting together country-wide realignment strategies when Fullerton, Long Beach, and Pacific still offered football at the highest level and the Boazybunch was still a twinkle in the 1-AA's eye. There's always a way to make it work, reduce costs, increase competition, create more opportunities for more players to play at the highest level, and increase interest by playing close-by neighbors.

It'll simply never happen, and not because of weirdnesses like Reno joining the PAC and Vegas remaining in the Mountain.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 29th, 2020, 11:38 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:40 am
Obviously not even .1% of a chance of this conference ever happening but I liked that Rocky Mountain Conference.

USU
Utah
BYU
Boise State
New Mexico
Air Force
CSU
Colorado
UNLV
Wyoming
ASU
Arizona
A major factor in conference alignment is T.V. revenue this one does not have all that much appeal in that regard.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » June 29th, 2020, 7:22 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 11:38 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:40 am

USU
Utah
BYU
Boise State
New Mexico
Air Force
CSU
Colorado
UNLV
Wyoming
ASU
Arizona
A major factor in conference alignment is T.V. revenue this one does not have all that much appeal in that regard.
I don't chime in on these since I know basically nothing. If the NCAA had any real power they would go for something like this and then split TV revenue among the conferences with some bonuses for postseason play. Think of it as a federal government instead of a bunch of states that it currently is. Now I have advocated taking money from the top/biggest schools and that just won't happen.
These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
sstrasser

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » June 29th, 2020, 9:32 pm

The ncaa doesn’t have that power (obviously).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v. ... f_Oklahoma

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 30th, 2020, 8:14 am

Think you gotta go with North and South divisions here:

North: Utah, USU, BYU, Boise, AFA, and WYO
South: Zona, ASU, UNLV, UNM, CSU, and CU

No perfect way to split them up, but I would assume that BYU-Utah-USU would be in the same division, and then BYU/USU would certainly want Boise in there with them. Accounting for Laramie being the second northernmost point of the conference, that leaves one more, which I think makes AFA the odd man out in the set of three Colorado schools.

Personally I would kick out AFA and replace them with Nevada. Then you could do an East-West alignment as follows:

West: Boise/UNR/UNLV/BYU/USU/Utah
East: Zona/ASU/WYO/CU/CSU/UNM

Still not perfect, but it maintains a lot of historic rivalries. The funniest possible realignment is to not allow BYU in.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 30th, 2020, 9:24 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 8:14 am
Think you gotta go with North and South divisions here:

North: Utah, USU, BYU, Boise, AFA, and WYO
South: Zona, ASU, UNLV, UNM, CSU, and CU

No perfect way to split them up, but I would assume that BYU-Utah-USU would be in the same division, and then BYU/USU would certainly want Boise in there with them. Accounting for Laramie being the second northernmost point of the conference, that leaves one more, which I think makes AFA the odd man out in the set of three Colorado schools.

Personally I would kick out AFA and replace them with Nevada. Then you could do an East-West alignment as follows:

West: Boise/UNR/UNLV/BYU/USU/Utah
East: Zona/ASU/WYO/CU/CSU/UNM

Still not perfect, but it maintains a lot of historic rivalries. The funniest possible realignment is to not allow BYU in.
I personally like that his realignment proposes that there are no more divisions, everybody plays everybody and only has one non-conference game. I like it because it eliminates the fluctuation in easy vs tough schedules. Everybody basically has the same schedule in conference
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
sstrasser

Go Aggies!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 30th, 2020, 9:33 am

For me, the best option would be a European soccer style promotion-relegation system. Have 4 regions with 3 twelve-team conferences each (likely Big Sky, Mountain West, and PAC-12 in the West). After each year, top 2 from each conference are promoted up and the bottom two from each conference are relegated down within the region. Gives everyone the opportunity to be rewarded for improvement and and provides additional incentive to not be terrible.

The reason it works so well in European soccer is due to the long-time connection people have to their local teams. In the US, I feel like people generally don't have those connections to their professional teams and are more concerned about them being in the top tier, but for college teams people have additional emotional connections that would survive relegation.

TV contracts would be centrally negotiated and teams would receive money based on the tier they're in.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be amazing for college football.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie19

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » June 30th, 2020, 3:00 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 9:33 am
For me, the best option would be a European soccer style promotion-relegation system. Have 4 regions with 3 twelve-team conferences each (likely Big Sky, Mountain West, and PAC-12 in the West). After each year, top 2 from each conference are promoted up and the bottom two from each conference are relegated down within the region. Gives everyone the opportunity to be rewarded for improvement and and provides additional incentive to not be terrible.

The reason it works so well in European soccer is due to the long-time connection people have to their local teams. In the US, I feel like people generally don't have those connections to their professional teams and are more concerned about them being in the top tier, but for college teams people have additional emotional connections that would survive relegation.

TV contracts would be centrally negotiated and teams would receive money based on the tier they're in.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be amazing for college football.
Amen! That's my pipe dream as well.
I'd throw in a few tweaks, like OOC games can't be more than one above/below your league.

Alas it'll never happen.

deltaaggie

NCAA Football Realignment

Post by deltaaggie » June 30th, 2020, 4:36 pm

I didn't see anyone post anything about this so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.....
Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated came up with a completely new football realignment taking all 120 FBS teams and grouping them into conferences geographically. It actually makes a ton a sense in my opinion and will never happen but I wanted to see what everybody's thoughts might be. Personally I love it.

1.Gives everyone a chance at the the playoff (levels the playing field)
2. Establishes logical geographic ties
3. Allows for relegation.
4. Saves money for travel of olympic sports
What do you all think?

mcaggie1

Re: NCAA Football Realignment

Post by mcaggie1 » June 30th, 2020, 5:01 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:36 pm
I didn't see anyone post anything about this so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.....
Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated came up with a completely new football realignment taking all 120 FBS teams and grouping them into conferences geographically. It actually makes a ton a sense in my opinion and will never happen but I wanted to see what everybody's thoughts might be. Personally I love it.

1.Gives everyone a chance at the the playoff (levels the playing field)
2. Establishes logical geographic ties
3. Allows for relegation.
4. Saves money for travel of olympic sports
What do you all think?

Love it. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
AggiesForever

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 4th, 2020, 7:46 am

McAggie1, there will be no steps in the right direction . . . . ;)

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 5th, 2020, 1:43 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:46 am
Only missteps in the wrong direction.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 5th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Of course it will not happen, but I can not see how we could compete with schools that have some much more fan support and revenue than what we have or could ever get. USU is all ready heavy into support from tax payers, to expect others to share T.V. revenue is asking everyone to give up revenue to support USU,because we bring so little to the table, as far as fans and T.V. market.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » July 6th, 2020, 11:38 am

oleblu111 wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:16 pm
Of course it will not happen, but I can not see how we could compete with schools that have some much more fan support and revenue than what we have or could ever get. USU is all ready heavy into support from tax payers, to expect others to share T.V. revenue is asking everyone to give up revenue to support USU,because we bring so little to the table, as far as fans and T.V. market.
oleblu...ever the optimist. your rosy outlook is always so refreshing...and predictable

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 7th, 2020, 12:27 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 11:38 am
oleblu111 wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:16 pm
oleblu...ever the optimist. your rosy outlook is always so refreshing...and predictable
Of course you did not call me a realist, or accurate, which my post is.

I have waited for decades for USU fans to step up to the plate, but that will not happen. USU fans and alums have removed any chance of me being a optimist, as far as fan, and alum support goes. When I see 2019 ticket revenue being the lowest since we joined the MWC, despite having a bowl bound football team, and a NCAA basketball team. $2 million out of a $41 million dollar budget is just sad.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » July 15th, 2020, 9:12 pm

This would be great, but of course will never happen. PAC. Has issues though, do not be surprised if the Az. Schools bolt to Big 12.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » July 16th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:12 pm
This would be great, but of course will never happen. PAC. Has issues though, do not be surprised if the Az. Schools bolt to Big 12.
the Big 12 have their own set of issues

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:46 am
The only step in the right direction would be for you to take me to lunch.

Locked Previous topicNext topic