Colombi Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 20th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Agsman wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm
What's the likelihood it gets granted in your opinion?

Sent from some tractor on some farm...
The NCAA application process is such a crap shoot. Who knows?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 20th, 2020, 9:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Agsman wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 9:10 pm
What's the likelihood it gets granted in your opinion?

The NCAA application process is such a crap shoot. Who knows?
I suspect that with COVID they are erring on the side of granting everything this year. Maybe I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
aggies22

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 20th, 2020, 10:18 pm

2004AG wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:HC will put up bigger numbers at TT but JS probably fits GA’s desire for a ball control offense better. Both should do well. I would have loved to have had both HC and JS on the roster but in the end, for the Aggies I believe GA made us better.

JS+DHC > HC
Are you saying DHC was a package deal with JS? He was only coming if JS got the job ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t necessarily think they were a “package deal” but I’m sure they talked and JS transferring here may have had an influence on DHC’s decision. Regardless, from what others have said, HC leaving opened up the scholarship that DHC is being offered, so in a sense it was a 2 for 1 deal.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » July 20th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Wait... he’s a walk on at Tech?!?

I feel like this was a bad decision by him but time will tell.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 20th, 2020, 10:33 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 10:28 pm
Wait... he’s a walk on at Tech?!?

I feel like this was a bad decision by him but time will tell.
If the idea was for him to play this year, then I agree it is a bit of a head scratcher. His odds of beating out Shelley were much better than his odds of beating out Bowman at TTU, and he could have remained on scholarship here either way.

I wish him all the best at Tech and hope he does beat out Bowman.

ususports

Post by ususports » July 20th, 2020, 10:36 pm

It is not my place to say what is right for him, but this seems like a decision that was clouded by anger. Being a walk on and potentially a backup QB for a coach who doesn’t have anymore integrity than the coach he just left (everyone remember his recruiting for TT while still employed by USU and trying to take existing players with him). Very interesting indeed. Sometimes odd decisions work out very well for people, so I hope he ends up being happy.

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » July 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm

ususports wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 10:36 pm
It is not my place to say what is right for him, but this seems like a decision that was clouded by anger.
Ding ding ding... oh... and I bet I know and old man in Florida who is fueling this anger.

stang

Post by stang » July 20th, 2020, 11:30 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
ususports wrote:
It is not my place to say what is right for him, but this seems like a decision that was clouded by anger.
Ding ding ding... oh... and I bet I know and old man in Florida who is fueling this anger.
Dude. Stop.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfaggies22

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » July 20th, 2020, 11:36 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm
ususports wrote:
The more I’ve been thinking about this, the more I’m agreeing with GA. At first I was upset that Colombi was leaving. GA had a chance to make the team better, I think he made the right choice. Having a talented backup whether it was going to be HC or Shelly is a great problem to have. Unfortunately HC didn’t agree, I’m not sure how going to program as preferred walk on is improving his situation but whatever he thinks is best. I’m wondering if Wells and Yost went after him as soon as Shelly announced he was transferring.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
AgMac

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » July 21st, 2020, 6:34 am

stang wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 11:30 pm
KissMyAg wrote:
ususports wrote:
Dude. Stop.
I kept this one PC ;) I don’t see the police out when everyone bashes our coaches on the board.

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » July 21st, 2020, 6:38 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 11:36 pm
KissMyAg wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm
ususports wrote:
The more I’ve been thinking about this, the more I’m agreeing with GA. At first I was upset that Colombi was leaving. GA had a chance to make the team better, I think he made the right choice. Having a talented backup whether it was going to be HC or Shelly is a great problem to have. Unfortunately HC didn’t agree, I’m not sure how going to program as preferred walk on is improving his situation but whatever he thinks is best. I’m wondering if Wells and Yost went after him as soon as Shelly announced he was transferring.
Wells and Yost have been in contact with him for the past year. The conversation didn’t get much steam until Shelley.

Of course GA made the right decision.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 21st, 2020, 7:35 am

KissMyAg wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:34 am
stang wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:
ususports wrote:
Dude. Stop.
I kept this one PC ;) I don’t see the police out when everyone bashes our coaches on the board.
It's almost as if criticizing coaches for how they do their jobs is really different than going after the parents of players. One is their job and the other is their family. Chill dude.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
2004AG

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 21st, 2020, 7:42 am

Henry has a tough job ahead to win the starting spot at Texas Tech.
But Henry has a lot of confidence in himself to compete and win the starting job. The trouble at USU was Henry's lack of confidence in our coach.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
2004AG

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 21st, 2020, 7:58 am

What a disaster.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 21st, 2020, 8:13 am

It is only a disaster if it affects recruiting in the future. It is only a disaster if Shelley sucks. Shelley will always live in the shadow of USUFans Columbi love. Nothing he does will make most on here happy. I wish Henry the best. It sucks how it all went down. Welcome to Mr. Shelley. You are an Aggie now. I really hope this doesn't bite Gary in the future.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 21st, 2020, 8:17 am

NVAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:13 am
It is only a disaster if it affects recruiting in the future. It is only a disaster if Shelley sucks. Shelley will always live in the shadow of USUFans Columbi love. Nothing he does will make most on here happy. I wish Henry the best. It sucks how it all went down. Welcome to Mr. Shelley. You are an Aggie now. I really hope this doesn't bite Gary in the future.
No, I think this is a disaster for HC and not USU.
I really like Henry, and I think this is a terrible outcome.
USU is going to be just fine. We get JS and pick up a great running back because of it. JS for HC might be even steven, but throwing in Henry-Cole makes it a great offensive upgrade for the Aggies.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 21st, 2020, 8:26 am

That is fair. Henry was a really good ambassador for USU. I feel this whole situation was bad. I assumed he had more options than walking on to TTU. I probably don't know the whole situation. In the end, I just feel badly for a really good young man.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveythegreendalegelf

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 21st, 2020, 8:33 am

Sl7vk wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:17 am
NVAggie wrote:
USU is going to be just fine. We get JS and pick up a great running back because of it. JS for HC might be even steven, but throwing in Henry-Cole makes it a great offensive upgrade for the Aggies.
I agree, it certainly sucks for HC the way everything went down. HC was not forced out or had his scholarship taken away. Sure it seems that bringing in JS was going to make it more difficult to win the starting job, but he surely could have competed for it. He now up and left for a walk on spot at Texas Tech where he is still going to have to compete for the starting job and not be on scholarship as well. In addition he may have to sit out a year and only have 1 year left to compete.

The beauty of living in America is you are free to make your own decisions, but from an outsider looking at his situation it does not seem like an upgrade. It seems as though he could have stayed here on scholarship and competed for the open job, if not he could have completed his degree and transferred after the season with 1 year left. I do hope everything works out for him because he seems like a good person and teammate.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 21st, 2020, 8:37 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:33 am
Sl7vk wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:17 am
NVAggie wrote:
I agree, it certainly sucks for HC the way everything went down. HC was not forced out or had his scholarship taken away. Sure it seems that bringing in JS was going to make it more difficult to win the starting job, but he surely could have competed for it. He now up and left for a walk on spot at Texas Tech where he is still going to have to compete for the starting job and not be on scholarship as well. In addition he may have to sit out a year and only have 1 year left to compete.

The beauty of living in America is you are free to make your own decisions, but from an outsider looking at his situation it does not seem like an upgrade. It seems as though he could have stayed here on scholarship and competed for the open job, if not he could have completed his degree and transferred after the season with 1 year left. I do hope everything works out for him because he seems like a good person and teammate.
And an even tougher time of winning the job. The kid down there is a soph who was vrey good as a freshman, started his soph year very well before an injury. Unless Colombi is head and shoulders better than him I don't see Wells putting him ahead of him. Even if they are about even Wells will go with the younger player who the fan base fully supports.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 21st, 2020, 9:35 am

Let me know if anyone thinks some are over reacting. I kind of think so.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19USU78

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » July 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

Hans and Scotty just had a quick segment on the HC JS situation. Anybody else hear it? They pretty much said there is no way HC was left in the dark on this situation. It almost felt like they were contradicting what Aggie22 and others have been saying about the situation. Hans basically said players need to put on their big boy pants and compete for the job in this day and age of the transfer portal.

Not saying I agree with this, just thought I’d share their thoughts.

I’m no insider, just an Aggie fan who enjoys reading this board.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
GreenAgoleblu111

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 21st, 2020, 11:16 am

Slim80 wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:11 am
Hans basically said players need to put on their big boy pants and compete for the job in this day and age of the transfer portal.
And in saying that, he's 100% correct.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 21st, 2020, 11:22 am

Yeah, I’m not sure what HC was thinking. I can’t imagine there are many P5 programs that would just hand the reins over to a back-up qb from an average G5 team. I’d think most decent P5 programs have good talent in their qb room so he’d need to compete for a starting spot where ever he went. I could see him stepping in and starting right away at some G5 schools if that’s a position of need, but T-Tech doesn’t fit that description. I think his best shot at starting would have been to stay at USU where he already has a head start on Shelley and the rest of the qb competition. Oh well, it’s water under the bridge now. Best of luck to him and welcome to our two latest Ute transfers!

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » July 21st, 2020, 11:26 am

Let me be clear about my first post. I was NOT calling Aggie22 a liar or misinformed!! I love hearing his take on things and personally feel like he is waaaay closer to the program than the 1280 folks.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 21st, 2020, 11:29 am

NVAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:26 am
That is fair. Henry was a really good ambassador for USU. I feel this whole situation was bad. I assumed he had more options than walking on to TTU. I probably don't know the whole situation. In the end, I just feel badly for a really good young man.
He had around 19 offers. I knew he was going to Texas Tech the day he announced his transfer. I don't really get the move other than the obvious connection to Coach Yost but it's his call.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 21st, 2020, 11:30 am

Slim80 wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:26 am
Let me be clear about my first post. I was NOT calling Aggie22 a liar or misinformed!! I love hearing his take on things and personally feel like he is waaaay closer to the program than the 1280 folks.
No offense taken and no apologies needed my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Slim80

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » July 21st, 2020, 2:29 pm

On the surface it appears that HC would have had a better shot at winning the starter job here than at TT but sometimes it's hard to swallow your pride and fight for what you feel you deserve. My impression of him is that he knows he's backup material and this allows him to save face by moving into that role rather than falling into that role. I wish him the best at TT.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » July 21st, 2020, 2:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
He had around 19 offers. I knew he was going to Texas Tech the day he announced his transfer. I don't really get the move other than the obvious connection to Coach Yost but it's his call.
Anything that guaranteed the starting job?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 21st, 2020, 2:47 pm

Agsman wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 2:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Anything that guaranteed the starting job?

I haven't been led to believe so.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » July 21st, 2020, 2:54 pm

Bowman can sling it. 69.4% completion percentage with 329 yards a game as a true freshman. I'm afraid Henry dug his own grave on this one.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » July 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm

CanuckAggie wrote:Bowman can sling it. 69.4% completion percentage with 329 yards a game as a true freshman. I'm afraid Henry dug his own grave on this one.
I talked to a co-worker that is a Texas Tech season ticket holder. His response to the Colombi commitment was "Someone has to backup Brittle Bowman". Image

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » July 21st, 2020, 3:04 pm

Agsman wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm
CanuckAggie wrote:Bowman can sling it. 69.4% completion percentage with 329 yards a game as a true freshman. I'm afraid Henry dug his own grave on this one.
I talked to a co-worker that is a Texas Tech season ticket holder. His response to the Colombi commitment was "Someone has to backup Brittle Bowman". Image
I guess that's true. History would suggest he will get hurt.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 21st, 2020, 3:32 pm

Stop trying to make this about Henry not wanting to complete. Henry leaving isn't about Shelley or competing for the QB job - those are just the things that were the catalyst for the situation.

Henry left because he doesn't trust Andersen.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 21st, 2020, 4:37 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:34 am
stang wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:
ususports wrote:
Dude. Stop.
I hope you can understand the difference between bashing players parents and criticizing coaches making big money and who are in charge of the program.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 21st, 2020, 6:35 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 2:29 pm
On the surface it appears that HC would have had a better shot at winning the starter job here than at TT but sometimes it's hard to swallow your pride and fight for what you feel you deserve. My impression of him is that he knows he's backup material and this allows him to save face by moving into that role rather than falling into that role. I wish him the best at TT.
Possibly. He gave USU 3 years and in year 4 knowing he wasn't going to be the starter he felt it was time to move on. Him going to Tech is weird from the standpoint that he probably won't start their either, but you see this type of thing in business all the time. Someone is with a company for a longtime and believe they deserve the promotion based on what they have given the company. The company hires someone from the outside leading to the employee being upset and leaving the company even if they don't go to a better situation. Gary has seen him and Shelley both for a season. He saw Shelley play good enough to get Utah into the Pac 12 championship game in 2018 after the starter went down. Time will tell if this is the right decision. As I said before if Shelley comes in and is great nobody will care about Colombi. Hope that is the case. I don't blame Colombi though. He put in time at USU and after the understanding was made he wasn't going to be the guy, decided to try his luck elsewhere.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aglicious

Locked Previous topicNext topic