Poll: Sports threads and the sandbox

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.

Sports threads getting too political.

Poll ended at September 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Shut down the sandbox until after the election.
7%
Short-term break for sandbox threads in sports.
7%
Both
17%
Leave it as is.
70%

Total votes: 30

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Poll: Sports threads and the sandbox

Post by Dwigt » September 8th, 2020, 2:37 pm

It seems to me that recently many sports threads are being turned into sandbox like threads. Also the sandbox itself is just a large echo chamber of hatred. Are there others out there that are sick of this?

So I present a poll.
1. Do we shut down the sandbox until after the election as a cool-down period.
2. Anyone that turns a sports thread into a political one get a short-term break from the site.
3. Both
4. Leave it as it is.

I have absolutely no control over how things are run here so maybe the real solution is I just take an extended break, but this used to be a place where I felt like I was a part of something bigger. That is all but gone now.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

AgMan21

Re: Poll: Sports threads and the sandbox

Post by AgMan21 » September 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Best decision I made on this website was asking to have the Sandbox removed from my forum options.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfAggie formerly in Hawaii

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 8th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Hey Dwigt, I feel your frustration. I think it comes from sports either being cancelled or having moved from the realm of diversion. It makes it hard to talk about the diversion anymore. All I know is I will keeping trying my best to treat everyone around me kindly and keep supporting the Aggies. With this extra time on our hands and no diversion, we can really become too focused on our own ideas and opinions and that can definitely lead to infighting.

Don't get too down on the board, I just know that we are ALL trying to process the world events in our own way. I look at it as the same way people grieve. We all do it differently even if it doesn't make sense to others.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
Dwigt

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Sorry to say, but every thing is political now days. Nothing we can do about it. But here's something to consider:

If you are upset that a sports team you like did X during the national anthem, and you wont watch or support them anymore.
If your fav. music band comes out in favor of X or Y, and you don't support X or Y, so you stop listening to that band.
If the actors from your fav. movie come out and say "we're going to raise money for Candidate X" and you don't like candidate X, so you won't watch that movie anymore.
If your fav. restaurant chain is owned by someone who donates money to a cause you don't like, so you aren't going to eat there anymore.

If all these things happened to you, then consider.... IT MIGHT JUST BE YOU

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 8th, 2020, 3:39 pm

I guess it is up to the mods how they want to handle things. There is a big overlap between real world issues and sports right now. Not just athletes protesting police brutality and other forms of racism, but everything Covid related and how it affects the sports world.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 8th, 2020, 3:57 pm

I would love for the sandbox to disappear. Historically it was created to coax politicizers off the main boards. This was during the day of the immediate predecessor board.

This was the time I discovered that all Aggies were not friends, not remotely, a concept I'd never considered before. My wartime and post wartime Aggie parents seemed best friends with everyone Aggie. It was a shocking thing to discover that left leaning attendees of USU hate those they call right and don't ultimately care about being part of a happy marriage between true believing Mormon and everything but Mormon, and disillusioned me greatly. I was always proud of that marriage, and loved that worldly and religious could be such great and devoted friends for life. Alas for my naive belief in something so wonderful.

And the sandbox as pressure release is far from foolproof, as we can see from both the referenced thread (inevitability political) and this poll and thread. Try looking at this poll and the comments from the perspective of those who think the class is a stupid, though possibly well-intentioned idea. Imagine you have a snootfull of virtuesignalling and political correctness.

You'd be as annoyed as I am at this moment.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dwigt

Post by Dwigt » September 8th, 2020, 4:52 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Sorry to say, but every thing is political now days. Nothing we can do about it. But here's something to consider:

If you are upset that a sports team you like did X during the national anthem, and you wont watch or support them anymore.
If your fav. music band comes out in favor of X or Y, and you don't support X or Y, so you stop listening to that band.
If the actors from your fav. movie come out and say "we're going to raise money for Candidate X" and you don't like candidate X, so you won't watch that movie anymore.
If your fav. restaurant chain is owned by someone who donates money to a cause you don't like, so you aren't going to eat there anymore.

If all these things happened to you, then consider.... IT MIGHT JUST BE YOU
None of the above situations have happened to me.

I’ve always tried to have an open mind to all viewpoints and absolutely want people to be able to express their opinions. However, I do believe there is a time and a place for those opinions to be placed. For example, I work in healthcare. When I am at work I will not have political or religious conversations with my co-workers or my patients. I am there to take care of the person not debate politics/religion.
I come here because I share a love for the Aggies. I understand people have different views than I do but lately more and more of that is seeping into the regular sports threads. Honestly, I just want that to stay where it should be. Since people are having a harder time of that lately, maybe it should be placed on hold for a bit.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
ViAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 8th, 2020, 8:10 pm

The Sandbox can be about anything you want. I will have you know we had a decent conservation about Taco Bell killing the Mexican Pizza and everything else worth eating on its menu just the other day.

But seriously it doesn’t always have to end in me (or other posters) calling someone stupid and wrong. People mostly only bring up contentious topics. If people brought up other topics, those topics could be discussed too.

Talk about your favorite songs.

Talk about a recipe you like.

Talk about something embarrassing your kid did on her Zoom call for school.

Talk about the beers you like. (But if your answer isn’t Sam 76, Yeungling, or Blue Moon... you’re stupid............... and wrong ;) )

Tl;dr I think many people would enjoy more variety of topics in the sandbox and Sam 76 is amazing.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 8th, 2020, 9:20 pm

The politics on this board have absolutely ruined it for me. It's gone from being my home page to isitng once every couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
Dwigtsstrasser

papaj

Post by papaj » September 8th, 2020, 10:15 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 3:57 pm
I would love for the sandbox to disappear. Historically it was created to coax politicizers off the main boards. This was during the day of the immediate predecessor board.

This was the time I discovered that all Aggies were not friends, not remotely, a concept I'd never considered before. My wartime and post wartime Aggie parents seemed best friends with everyone Aggie. It was a shocking thing to discover that left leaning attendees of USU hate those they call right and don't ultimately care about being part of a happy marriage between true believing Mormon and everything but Mormon, and disillusioned me greatly. I was always proud of that marriage, and loved that worldly and religious could be such great and devoted friends for life. Alas for my naive belief in something so wonderful.

And the sandbox as pressure release is far from foolproof, as we can see from both the referenced thread (inevitability political) and this poll and thread. Try looking at this poll and the comments from the perspective of those who think the class is a stupid, though possibly well-intentioned idea. Imagine you have a snootfull of virtuesignalling and political correctness.

You'd be as annoyed as I am at this moment.
Whoa! Left leaning Aggie here who doesn’t hate any of my Aggie family.
These users thanked the author papaj for the post:
USU78

Welcome to Utah State University: A Little Piece of Heaven on the North Side of Hell

BeNo

Post by BeNo » September 8th, 2020, 10:38 pm

It is the United States. Not Hong Kong. Yet.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 8th, 2020, 11:19 pm

My observation from looking at many sports forums out there. The folks that are far-left have politicized pretty much every sport and can't escape the politics even in sports (many of them will speak politically on a sports topic with nasty comments when you ask to get the topic back to sports). I have seen mods on other sports forums add anti-Trump BS not related to sports in the sports section. I keep sports sports and politics politics, and I have tried to add some different topics to the Sandbox no avail in expanding stuff in the Sandbox. I have many times extended an olive branch to lighten the mood but no avail. I engage in the political stuff because I am always up for political arguments and bring political topics to the Sandbox.
Last edited by SLB on September 8th, 2020, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 8th, 2020, 11:20 pm

SLB wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 11:19 pm
My observation from looking at many sports forums out there. The folks that are far-left have politicized pretty much every sport and can't escape the politics even in sports (many of them will speak politically on a sports topic with nasty comments when you ask to get the topic back to sports). I have seen mods on other sports forums add anti-Trump BS not related to sports. I keep sports sports and politics politics, and I have tried to add some different topics to the Sandbox no avail in expanding stuff in the Sandbox. I have many times extended an olive branch to lighten the mood but no avail. I engage in the political stuff because I am always up for political arguments and bring political topics to the Sandbox.
:roll:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

SLB

Post by SLB » September 8th, 2020, 11:23 pm

ViAggie wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 11:20 pm
SLB wrote:
My observation from looking at many sports forums out there. The folks that are far-left have politicized pretty much every sport and can't escape the politics even in sports (many of them will speak politically on a sports topic with nasty comments when you ask to get the topic back to sports). I have seen mods on other sports forums add anti-Trump BS not related to sports. I keep sports sports and politics politics, and I have tried to add some different topics to the Sandbox no avail in expanding stuff in the Sandbox. I have many times extended an olive branch to lighten the mood but no avail. I engage in the political stuff because I am always up for political arguments and bring political topics to the Sandbox.
Have I called you a nasty name or any left-leaning person here? Compare that how people who oppose me and Florida

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 6:05 am

SLB wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 11:23 pm
ViAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
Have I called you a nasty name or any left-leaning person here? Compare that how people who oppose me and Florida
I don't know what sports boards you frequent, but I have posted on nba forums that became full of right wing trolls calling NBA fans and NBA players all sorts of names. Even the rivals.com college football forum was taken over by right wing trolls this offseason and the mods had to either ban people or limit it to a super long political section because it got so bad.

As far as in the sandbox here, I can't speak for anyone else since I rarely go in there, but there were a handful of right wingers using bad faith attacks accusing me of supporting violence, calling me anti-American, marxist, etc. . . All obviously idiotic and stupid attack lines. These were threads started in the sports sections of the board that were moved to the sandbox because right wingers didn't want to stay on topic and inserted their political feelings on the subject.

But hey we could all do a better job of being civil and respectful to each other. If you feel there is something I've said to you or anyone else that is out of bounds, feel free to call me out on it.

But glad you aren't part of it. I enjoy good faith discussions.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 7:25 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:05 am
SLB wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
I don't know what sports boards you frequent, but I have posted on nba forums that became full of right wing trolls calling NBA fans and NBA players all sorts of names. Even the rivals.com college football forum was taken over by right wing trolls this offseason and the mods had to either ban people or limit it to a super long political section because it got so bad.

As far as in the sandbox here, I can't speak for anyone else since I rarely go in there, but there were a handful of right wingers using bad faith attacks accusing me of supporting violence, calling me anti-American, marxist, etc. . . All obviously idiotic and stupid attack lines. These were threads started in the sports sections of the board that were moved to the sandbox because right wingers didn't want to stay on topic and inserted their political feelings on the subject.

But hey we could all do a better job of being civil and respectful to each other. If you feel there is something I've said to you or anyone else that is out of bounds, feel free to call me out on it.

I recall the nba (like you said this should have been about ratings and not politics ) and nfl threads and I recall frustration on Both sides and name calling on both sides. Some pretty awful stuff really from a lot of folks. You are right we all could do better. I know I am not or have been perfect or even close.

I would suggest and request that you don’t put all the blame on what you call right wingers. Usually there are two sides of an argument. In this case Right wingers I assume you to believe are the people who decided not to watch the nba or nfl any more because they don’t agree with you or others in supporting the league. Blaming it all on one side is unfair. Let’s learn to forgive and forget and also learn how to be more respectful of others views. All of us can do better.

I have appreciated discussing sports back and forth with you hawaii including your jazz updates through the playoffs.

As far as slb goes. While he posts a lot of pro trump stuff (and thus the anti-trump crowd give him a lot of gruff) I’ve never actually seen him call people names or question people personally. From what I’ve seen he posts his stuff but is respectful. He gets a lot of crap that he is undeserving of though (a lot of unfair stuff is said).

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 9th, 2020, 7:27 am

I think people are just going a bit crazy. Our world was turned upside down in March. Also, let's be honest, everything has become political and polarized. When you talk about sports you also have to talk about COVID-19 and the bubble. People have very different opinions about this stuff, especially early on. Now add in BLM and you get really nuts. I think there are a lot of opinions and behaviors on both sides that normally wouldn't be tolerated just five years ago. I'm all for keeping sports talk in the forums and political talk in the Sandbox. I don't mind the Sandbox. I am someone always looking to contest my own beliefs on something. It helps me to be more empathetic. It also helps me to stay away from radical thoughts and behaviors. I think we could all work on our civility within the coded walls of USUfans.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggsam tingey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 9th, 2020, 8:09 am

The crazy was always there, just kept barely under wraps.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:25 am
SLB wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

I recall the nba (like you said this should have been about ratings and not politics ) and nfl threads and I recall frustration on Both sides and name calling on both sides. Some pretty awful stuff really from a lot of folks. You are right we all could do better. I know I am not or have been perfect or even close.

I would suggest and request that you don’t put all the blame on what you call right wingers. Usually there are two sides of an argument. In this case Right wingers I assume you to believe are the people who decided not to watch the nba or nfl any more because they don’t agree with you or others in supporting the league. Blaming it all on one side is unfair. Let’s learn to forgive and forget and also learn how to be more respectful of others views. All of us can do better.

I have appreciated discussing sports back and forth with you hawaii including your jazz updates through the playoffs.

As far as slb goes. While he posts a lot of pro trump stuff (and thus the anti-trump crowd give him a lot of gruff) I’ve never actually seen him call people names or question people personally. From what I’ve seen he posts his stuff but is respectful. He gets a lot of crap that he is undeserving of though (a lot of unfair stuff is said).
Oh certainly there are people all over the political spectrum that have probably overstepped their bounds. I use the term "right wing" because it is usually people with more right wing politics that are more frequently to throw around the "anti-American" or call people marxists or communists. I certainly could do a better job myself at times. We all should treat this place as if we were meeting one another at the Spectrum or another Aggie event. If I ever say something somebody feels is out of bounds, feel free to call me out on it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 9th, 2020, 8:57 am

September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Oh certainly there are people all over the political spectrum that have probably overstepped their bounds. I use the term "right wing" because it is usually people with more right wing politics that are more frequently to throw around the "anti-American" or call people marxists or communists. I certainly could do a better job myself at times. We all should treat this place as if we were meeting one another at the Spectrum or another Aggie event. If I ever say something somebody feels is out of bounds, feel free to call me out on it.
Amen. 100% agree. Trying to do better myself. I for one appreciate all the input from you hawaii. That is one thing that usu sports can do in unifying this board. Is our love for usu and our hate for Utah and BYU. 😁
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 9:02 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:27 am
I think people are just going a bit crazy. Our world was turned upside down in March. Also, let's be honest, everything has become political and polarized. When you talk about sports you also have to talk about COVID-19 and the bubble. People have very different opinions about this stuff, especially early on. Now add in BLM and you get really nuts. I think there are a lot of opinions and behaviors on both sides that normally wouldn't be tolerated just five years ago. I'm all for keeping sports talk in the forums and political talk in the Sandbox. I don't mind the Sandbox. I am someone always looking to contest my own beliefs on something. It helps me to be more empathetic. It also helps me to stay away from radical thoughts and behaviors. I think we could all work on our civility within the coded walls of USUfans.
Yeah it is hard to avoid real world issues at times, epecially at the moment when they are so connected to sports. Covid has affected all of our lives and we just lost a football season because of it; or at least the reaction to it. It has been a trying time for a lot of people. I'll definitely work to do a better job myself.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 9th, 2020, 11:10 am

September 9th, 2020, 9:02 am
NVAggie wrote:
Yeah it is hard to avoid real world issues at times, epecially at the moment when they are so connected to sports. Covid has affected all of our lives and we just lost a football season because of it; or at least the reaction to it. It has been a trying time for a lot of people. I'll definitely work to do a better job myself.
Honestly, I am still trying to process the loss of March Madness. i thought I would be to acceptance of it by now, but I'm not

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 11:17 am

slcagg wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 8:57 am
September 9th, 2020, 8:51 am
slcagg wrote:
SLB wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Amen. 100% agree. Trying to do better myself. I for one appreciate all the input from you hawaii. That is one thing that usu sports can do in unifying this board. Is our love for usu and our hate for Utah and BYU. 😁
Likewise my Aggie brother. There are plenty of other places to find conflict out there. This should be one of unity at least among Aggies. If Utes, Cougars, or that Nevada fan posts in here, do your worst! :joking:
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » September 9th, 2020, 12:34 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed that Taco Bell thread.

I say keep it. Occasionally I can get something useful or entertaining from it (see Taco Bell thread)

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

coolag

Post by coolag » September 9th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Thicker skin would help.

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 9th, 2020, 2:43 pm

sam tingey wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:10 am
September 9th, 2020, 9:02 am
NVAggie wrote:
Honestly, I am still trying to process the loss of March Madness. i thought I would be to acceptance of it by now, but I'm not
It will always suck and be a big what if. Granted, every fan will be able to play this game, but I really believe we would have done some damage this year. We were more battle tested than in previous years in ncaa tournament style games. We beat LSU, Florida and San Diego State; three would be tournament teams all on neutral courts similar to the ncaa tournament. We had our flub in the 2019 tournament and would have been more prepared for it this year. Definitely a shame we didn't get the chance.

Dwigt

Post by Dwigt » September 9th, 2020, 4:09 pm

coolag wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Thicker skin would help.

Locked Previous topicNext topic