Well, that got out of hand. Thanks GA!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Well, that got out of hand. Thanks GA!

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 15th, 2020, 6:38 pm

These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieUSU78

coolag

Re: Well, that got out of hand. Thanks GA!

Post by coolag » November 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm

While Gary holds some blame for the situation he is not the only one. Jim Laub has done more for aggie athletics than anyone but is also to blame for this whole mess. Boosters are just that, boosters. Leave it that way. Whoever we hire to replace Gary better have some bowling ball sized cajones because this is not going to be easy to rebuild.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
ViAggie

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

coolag wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm
While Gary holds some blame for the situation he is not the only one. Jim Laub has done more for aggie athletics than anyone but is also to blame for this whole mess. Boosters are just that, boosters. Leave it that way. Whoever we hire to replace Gary better have some bowling ball sized cajones because this is not going to be easy to rebuild.
Yeah we are a complete dumpster fire right now just two years removed from an 11-2 season. I was against the Gary rehire, but I didnt think it would be this bad.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 15th, 2020, 6:55 pm

I was wrong about Gary 2.0
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFull

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 15th, 2020, 7:02 pm

I was terrified by what I saw in the media in Oregon and how he went out there, but I saw the rationale behind the hire. It made a little sense that if he could rekindle the old magic, we had a good chance at long-term stability because he likely wasn’t going anywhere.

That obviously isn’t what happened, but people shouldn’t beat themselves up about being wrong with the benefit of hindsight.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOAggieFBObsession

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 15th, 2020, 7:24 pm

I am blindsided. Why not give the guy who turned the program around helped get us into the MWC another chance? Had we sucked during Gary's good years, would we have been stuck like New Mexico State without a conference? Never dreamed we would witness the program collapse in less than one month's time. I'm floored.

No one saw this coming, Even if you are one of those who didn't want GA back, you didn't think our program was being pushed downhill in a wheelchair off a cliff. Didn't think we'd go from a bowl season to complete inability to compete within just a few months. What an epic collapse. Now we are wondering how many years this will take to rebuild and if we need to completely clean house to do it.

Heartbreaking.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 7:24 pm
I am blindsided. Why not give the guy who turned the program around helped get us into the MWC another chance? Had we sucked during Gary's good years, would we have been stuck like New Mexico State without a conference? Never dreamed we would witness the program collapse in less than one month's time. I'm floored.

No one saw this coming, Even if you are one of those who didn't want GA back, you didn't think our program was being pushed downhill in a wheelchair off a cliff. Didn't think we'd go from a bowl season to complete inability to compete within just a few months. What an epic collapse. Now we are wondering how many years this will take to rebuild and if we need to completely clean house to do it.

Heartbreaking.
At the time of the re-hire —even in my wildest negative flights of fancy — I never would have thought it could have gotten this bad, this quickly.

Heartbreaking is a good word for it. The last decade of Aggie football has been incredible. I hope we get back to it soon, but it’s amazing how fast you can go from double-digit wins and ranked in the CFP playoff poll, to wondering if there’s even a single win on the schedule.

UCF had a year somewhat recently where they won no games, and their program is doing alright. I’m hoping the right hire can get us back to Aggie football in the next few years, but the rest of this year and next are sure to be rough. I think the rest of this year should be finding out what we have with the young guys without damaging their confidence too much. There’s no reason not to as this season does not count towards eligibility.

I guess that’s the silver-lining. This all happened during a year that was a throwaway year anyway.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
CrazyAg

GUS

Post by GUS » November 15th, 2020, 7:45 pm

I'm kind of thinking that Gary lucked into some good hires his first go around. Many of them followed him to Wisconsin, so he had good coaches with him there. Since his departure from Wisconsin he hasn't seemed to be able to make very good hires. It appears Bodie R. and the Strength coach were complete failures.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2020, 7:46 pm

CrazyAg wrote:

Heartbreaking.
Yes and no. Yes, nobody SAW THIS coming. We probably are going winless this year. I never would have predicted that and neither would the other Gary critics. If we end up going winless, that is just awful. Even in 2006 and 2007 we figured out how to at least win something.

I'd disagree on nobody predicting it would be bad though. There were plenty of red flags about Gary. His tenure at Oregon State was about as awful as it can be. He clearly hasn't been completely with it to succeed as a Head Coach for a while now. It isn't just hindsight. He shouldn't have been hired back.

I don't begrudge fans for wanting him back, but I'll push back on the notion that it wasn't fully predictable. Many of us did predict it wouldn't be a good reunion.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » November 15th, 2020, 7:49 pm

CrazyAg wrote:I am blindsided. Why not give the guy who turned the program around helped get us into the MWC another chance? Had we sucked during Gary's good years, would we have been stuck like New Mexico State without a conference? Never dreamed we would witness the program collapse in less than one month's time. I'm floored.

Heartbreaking.
Sorry, anyone who was paying attention should have seen this coming.

I don't blame Andersen, I blame the stewards of our program that allowed him to get anywhere near the team. That was colossal dereliction.

Seems like a complete burn it the hell down and start over. I hope we aren't paying for it for the next decade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 15th, 2020, 7:49 pm

GUS wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 7:45 pm
I'm kind of thinking that Gary lucked into some good hires his first go around. Many of them followed him to Wisconsin, so he had good coaches with him there. Since his departure from Wisconsin he hasn't seemed to be able to make very good hires. It appears Bodie R. and the Strength coach were complete failures.
His 2012 coaching staff was great. We had great talent that year that Gary had recruited and a great staff to coach them. He also did have a fire in his belly the first time around that has been absent since. He was a great guy to motivate and inspire a team as well as a fanbase. His first time around he gave the impression that he was an Urban Meyer type. Unfortunately that version of Gary disappeared around 2015 if not sooner.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 7:49 pm
CrazyAg wrote:I am blindsided. Why not give the guy who turned the program around helped get us into the MWC another chance? Had we sucked during Gary's good years, would we have been stuck like New Mexico State without a conference? Never dreamed we would witness the program collapse in less than one month's time. I'm floored.

Heartbreaking.
Sorry, anyone who was paying attention should have seen this coming.

I don't blame Andersen, I blame the stewards of our program that allowed him to get anywhere near the team. That was colossal dereliction.

Seems like a complete burn it the hell down and start over. I hope we aren't paying for it for the next decade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It is a complete rebuild. We are literally bottom of the barrell in the MW. The new coach who comes into this has got their work cut out for them. I will say I was fine with them bringing back Gary, I did have some hesitations but I certainly didn't expect it to go like this. But it's clear we should have went in a different direction.

Full

Post by Full » November 15th, 2020, 8:30 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 6:55 pm
I was wrong about Gary 2.0
I also was wrong. Even before the Nevada game I had some hope the season could be salvaged... now I just want to see a win this season.

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » November 15th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Do I have to change my name?
These users thanked the author GaryTakeTheWheel for the post:
AggieArmy

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 15th, 2020, 8:50 pm

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 8:47 pm
You dont have to.... however, he broke the wheel
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 4):
GaryTakeTheWheelBLUERUFiOAGinNEIowaWillCut72

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » November 15th, 2020, 9:14 pm

CrazyAg wrote:

Heartbreaking.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
ineptimusprime

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 15th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I know we weren't this bad in 2016, but even the most optimistic people didn't think we would pull out of that and have the season we had in 2018, and the one team that was worse than us in 2016, Fresno State, turned it around the following year. Arkansas was a big train wreck last year but is better this year under a new coach. Sacramento State went from 2 wins in 2018 to 9 in 2019 under a new coach.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 15th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I think we still have a great nucleus of players who, with the right leadership, can get us going in the right direction. Matt's last couple of recruiting classes were supposed to be pretty good. The Srs and Jrs have been a part of good USU football teams. They know what it takes. I think with some weeding and getting back to our core guys, we'll see these guys start working together, playing for each other. I'm hopeful that we'll see improvement over the next few games.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
vegasaggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 16th, 2020, 7:17 am

I always thought this would be a rough season, but we are playing far worse than our talent. I believe there is some significant problems with team chemistry and overall technique. For a developmental program we sure haven't seen much development.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 16th, 2020, 9:18 am

A good coach will get us back to winning relatively quickly, look at basketball. This year there is proper institutional support, solid facilities, and the program has some institutional knowledge of how to win...none of that was true in 2006.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Madmartigan

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 16th, 2020, 10:01 am

pretty bummed at what happened. i agree that a good coach can fix chemistry and turn things around. hope a much more sound decision is made when the time comes.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 16th, 2020, 10:44 am

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
Do you still want him to take the wheel?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
cdaAg

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » November 16th, 2020, 11:39 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 10:44 am
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
I think he's taken the wheel, the stereo system, the hubcaps, the tires, and even the catalytic converter.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieNVAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Look at it this way - if you're going to pick a year to suck and have the wheels fall-off - THIS is the year to do it.

Casual fans are NOT paying attention...i.e...people have other things on their minds.

I have faith that we will pick a really quality guy to lead this program.

We have talented returning players.

Add a coach who brings a great supporting cast and can recruit...and this will be a relatively quick, distant memory.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm

88USUAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Look at it this way - if you're going to pick a year to suck and have the wheels fall-off - THIS is the year to do it.

Casual fans are NOT paying attention...i.e...people have other things on their minds.

Add a coach who brings a great supporting cast and can recruit...and this will be a relatively quick, distant memory.
It's better to find out we had so many issues and the whole thing blown up this season than a season that would be our first whole season back. I still don't even feel like this a real season and will always have an asterisk next to it in the end. It hasn't been fun to watch but blow it up this season because it isn't even real. You can't have the PAC12 start 8-9 weeks into the season, like, "hi guys! can we play too?" and tell me this season means anything.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm

cdaAg wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 11:39 am
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
I think he's taken the wheel, the stereo system, the hubcaps, the tires, and even the catalytic converter.
what about the effing rag as a gas cap?

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » November 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Agzrule wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm
cdaAg wrote:
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
i think that rag got lit!

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 16th, 2020, 6:18 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
88USUAggie wrote:

It's better to find out we had so many issues and the whole thing blown up this season than a season that would be our first whole season back. I still don't even feel like this a real season and will always have an asterisk next to it in the end. It hasn't been fun to watch but blow it up this season because it isn't even real. You can't have the PAC12 start 8-9 weeks into the season, like, "hi guys! can we play too?" and tell me this season means anything.
hahaha, byu's 2nd miracle season of the last 50 years, and they'll both have asterisks by them, ahahahaha!!! :lol: :lol:

but to the point of the OP: disastrous years happen (look at Penn State right now...where they have been recently and where they are right now :shock: ) better now when nobody is watching as has been stated above.

PS - I'm really not that guy that is so obsessed with byu, but when I saw frankie's comment about the asterisk, i couldn't help myself, haha...

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 16th, 2020, 6:46 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 6:18 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
88USUAggie wrote:

hahaha, byu's 2nd miracle season of the last 50 years, and they'll both have asterisks by them, ahahahaha!!! :lol: :lol:

but to the point of the OP: disastrous years happen (look at Penn State right now...where they have been recently and where they are right now :shock: ) better now when nobody is watching as has been stated above.

PS - I'm really not that guy that is so obsessed with byu, but when I saw frankie's comment about the asterisk, i couldn't help myself, haha...
I didn’t want to be the one to bring up that teams name, but I was totally thinking that same thing when I wrote that post.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 16th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Agzrule wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm
cdaAg wrote:
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
Tailpipe making sparks fly everywhere?

Regulator of Class

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm

I was totally against the GA rehire, but, I figured a couple of mediocre seasons would happen and he would ride into the sunset. This disaster far exceeded what I figured his worst would be. John Hartwell needs to hire a great coach and I wish him the best in this endeavor. I see a potential 0-8 as even New Mexico has looked decent in their losses.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 16th, 2020, 10:54 pm

November 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm
coolag wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 6:49 pm
Yeah we are a complete dumpster fire right now just two years removed from an 11-2 season. I was against the Gary rehire, but I didnt think it would be this bad.
I did. I went so far as to call Hartwell personally before the decision was made, and warn him in very plain terms that this was a mistake.

I'm now accepting apologies.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
aggies22

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic