This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 4:54 pm

Last edited by CrazyAg on December 1st, 2020, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USUaggie

Re: Transfer Portal Explosion tips job to Canales

Post by USUaggie » November 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm

Are you Chico?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 5:13 pm

USUaggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:12 pm
Are you Chico?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
No

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2020, 5:16 pm

I see no reason we can't get him as our offensive coordinator. We were able to get him for a position coach in 2016.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 21st, 2020, 5:20 pm

CrazyAg wrote:As we can easily assume without a penalty of having to sit for a year, and USU dropping like the Titanic, our transfer portal out of USU will be insane. It has only just begun. We are going to lose multiple players. We might lost 10 or more. We'll need a nationally connected coach who can reload from the portal. Someone who has SEC, ACC, Pac12, and most importantly Texas connections. This tips the scales toward Canales who has recruited the south for decades. He would reload like no one else, because he has national connections like no one else. Word is that his connections would reload USU immediately, and we will get a net win out of this whole deal.
Yep. Chico is the only potential coach with recruiting connections anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
ratofallaggiesBLUERUFiO

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 5:33 pm

No he would not take the same position. He has decades of experience as an OC. Of course he isn't the only one with recruiting connections, but there is no one with connections like his, who also wants the job. Again he's coached in the ACC, SEC, and around a decade in Texas.

I know many are waiting for Vince Lombardi to rise from the grave and take the job, but it might be an interesting study to see just who is a pretty amazing candidate based on experience and connections.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 21st, 2020, 5:38 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:33 pm
No he would not take the same position. He has decades of experience as an OC. Of course he isn't the only one with recruiting connections, but there is no one with connections like his, who also wants the job. Again he's coached in the ACC, SEC, and around a decade in Texas.

I know many are waiting for Vince Lombardi to rise from the grave and take the job, but it might be an interesting study to see just who is a pretty amazing candidate based on experience and connections.
There is a lot of interest in this job from many with great experience. I know you want Canales because of your personal connection to him and that’s ok. No one is waiting for Vince Lombardi, I’m pretty sure everyone wants the same thing... to find a solid coach that will help USU win

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 5:45 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:38 pm
CrazyAg wrote:

There is a lot of interest in this job from many with great experience. I know you want Canales because of your personal connection to him and that’s ok. No one is waiting for Vince Lombardi, I’m pretty sure everyone wants the same thing... to find a solid coach that will help USU win
It would take more than a personal connection to get on board for me. I'd have to see the resume and the experience. Take a look at what he's been a part of for decades. He's had an outstanding career. He is very much respected in the coaching world and has worked with some pretty amazing coaches on his way who are references for him. That list is really something. He's an offensive guru and a winner.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:45 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

It would take more than a personal connection to get on board for me. I'd have to see the resume and the experience. Take a look at what he's been a part of for decades. He's had an outstanding career. He is very much respected in the coaching world and has worked with some pretty amazing coaches on his way who are references for him. That list is really something. He's an offensive guru and a winner.
I wish you luck with your campaign

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 21st, 2020, 5:57 pm

CrazyAg wrote:

But wouldn't Vince's connections also have to rise from the grave? Otherwise, Vince would have no connections either. I'm sorry my Aggie brother. I know you are being serious but I couldn't help myself.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ratofallaggies

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 6:05 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:45 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

I wish you luck with your campaign
Snarky.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm

So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2020, 6:26 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm
So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
What you are not understanding is that he has coaching connections throughout all the major conferences so he for sure is the most qualified candidate to take USU to a new level. :sarcasm:

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 6:35 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:26 pm

What you are not understanding is that he has coaching connections throughout all the major conferences so he for sure is the most qualified candidate to take USU to a new level. :sarcasm:
Snarky seems to be the trend instead of much intelligent conversation. Dang, expected more from this group.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm

So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
Last edited by CrazyAg on November 21st, 2020, 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 21st, 2020, 6:52 pm

It sucks because they were asked to wait til end of season. Im pretty disappointed because they can not play for USU, they’re scholarships are no longer

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2020, 7:10 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm

So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2020, 7:11 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:52 pm
It sucks because they were asked to wait til end of season. Im pretty disappointed because they can not play for USU, they’re scholarships are no longer
Based on that, those decisions seem really not smart. Hopefully it works out for them.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 7:15 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:10 pm
CrazyAg wrote:

I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.
Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 21st, 2020, 7:24 pm

It's hard to believe that we'll actually play any more games this season.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:15 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.
I would take Hill or Choate 10 times over before Chico. They both have really good coaching experience and have built winners when the team was really down. Weber was not an FCS title contender with Arslanian. There is for sure risk, but i would take that risk versus having Chico do it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2020, 7:29 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:24 pm
It's hard to believe that we'll actually play any more games this season.
I agree with the amount of cases coming in. I don't know how the team is doing with cases, but it probably is not looking good. I would love to see Cooper and Calvin a go to see how they can perform.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 21st, 2020, 7:53 pm

I guess we'll see if there's a game Thursday. Not getting my hopes up. I just hate not being able to be there and cheer for our guys. Daggum it.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
crazywookie

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 21st, 2020, 8:31 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 5:20 pm
CrazyAg wrote:As we can easily assume without a penalty of having to sit for a year, and USU dropping like the Titanic, our transfer portal out of USU will be insane. It has only just begun. We are going to lose multiple players. We might lost 10 or more. We'll need a nationally connected coach who can reload from the portal. Someone who has SEC, ACC, Pac12, and most importantly Texas connections. This tips the scales toward Canales who has recruited the south for decades. He would reload like no one else, because he has national connections like no one else. Word is that his connections would reload USU immediately, and we will get a net win out of this whole deal.
Yep. Chico is the only potential coach with recruiting connections anywhere.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 21st, 2020, 9:02 pm

Meh

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 21st, 2020, 9:33 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

The resumes are not comparable as Jay Hills is far stronger.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 21st, 2020, 9:45 pm

Every time there's a coaching opening there's a wave of sentiment for former Aggie players and coaches. Remove the association with USU and no one would think any of these candidates are worth considering.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:33 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

Jay Hill has zero wins vs FBS as a head coach or coordinator

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

And Jay Hill only gets one or two shots a year and doesn't have FBS resources.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Well yeah because he’s not an FBS coach, so that would check out.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 9:59 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Not a true statement. Assistants tend to have to move a lot in the D1 world. Again, show me a better FBS resume. And and FBS resume willing to come to USU.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

Well yeah because he’s not an FBS coach, so that would check out.

That didn't stop Craig Bohl from getting 7 when he was head coach at North Dakota State

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 10:03 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:45 pm
Every time there's a coaching opening there's a wave of sentiment for former Aggie players and coaches. Remove the association with USU and no one would think any of these candidates are worth considering.
Canales association with USU is the only reason we have a chance at him. Yes remove the sentiment and we have no chance at him. Remember when Anderson used to talk about the list of coaches who told him not to take the USU job because it is a coaching graveyard? Wonder if he still has that list.

Again show me a better FBS resume willing to even consider this job. I'll wait....

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm

Canales would likely have no shot if he weren't a former Aggie. Given the state of our program over most if the last 4 decades or so ( with the exception of the last 10 years) being an Aggie should have absolutely no bearing on the decision. It isn't like we are drawing on tradition like Michigan or USC.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
MWCFAN12

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:03 pm
brownjeans wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:45 pm
Canales association with USU is the only reason we have a chance at him. Yes remove the sentiment and we have no chance at him. Remember when Anderson used to talk about the list of coaches who told him not to take the USU job because it is a coaching graveyard? Wonder if he still has that list.

Again show me a better FBS resume willing to even consider this job. I'll wait....
Nope. His association is the only reason he is getting considered. He probably wouldn't get a sniff anywhere else in the country.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Locked Previous topicNext topic