Peasley

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

Peasley

Post by Elkaggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:27 pm

Now that we’ve seen him against stiffer competition what are your thoughts? He looked scared to death out there after the first drive. As soon as the got a little pressure he was a completely different QB. Time for Legas??

GrandPoubah

Re: Peasley

Post by GrandPoubah » December 3rd, 2020, 11:35 pm

We definitely need to give some of the younger kids a shot on offense. Defense is playing young kids. Even if they aren't successful, it gives them a sense of team and motivation for the off-season. Seems the offense just wants to roll out the same waist bending oline.

Much of the highly rated class from 2 years ago is still with the team and are not playing. WHY????

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 4th, 2020, 12:52 am

As good as he looked last week, he looked equally as bad this week. Really, really bad night. Wouldn't mind seeing Legas.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2020, 1:12 am

Really good athlete. Decent arm. Not comfortable in the pocket. Not terribly accurate. I think he’s worth developing but not so good as to preclude Legas or Calvin from getting a look.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 4th, 2020, 1:34 am

Tonight Peasley showed his youth. The question is whether or not we believe his upside is worth the growing pains. If so now is the perfect time to give him experience.

If not, then it’s time to give the others a try.

Whoever gets the nod, we have to improve pass protection. We can’t expect to win just throwing quick button hooks and 5-8 yard outs

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 4th, 2020, 1:37 am

It's probably time to add a transfer QB to the room that isn't a cast-off from utah.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
PIGSKINAGGIEratofallaggiesflying_scotsman2.0Intermeddler

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » December 4th, 2020, 3:36 am

Looked pretty average tonight. Poor accuracy, happy feet, getting rattled in pocket, though pass protection not very good, receivers not getting separation, there’s plenty to work on.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2020, 7:15 am

He looked like a QB on his 3rd OC in two years making his second start. Not saying he is definitively the guy, but to expect a QB like him to go out and light the world on fire right now isn't realistic. I remember arguing with people about Jordan Love early on who claimed he wasn't a "D1 caliber player" because his first several starts were rough. It's hard to be patient when we're getting the doors blown off, but that's exactly what we need to be with Peasley. He has potential to be a good one.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
AndroidAggie3rdGenAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 4th, 2020, 7:26 am

Is it me or does Peasley look at the pass rush and not downfield at the coverage? His first instinct is to run rather than maneuver into a better throwing lane. Not sure if this is just due to inexperience and will improve, if it can be coached out of him, or if it is who he is.

As Don Shula once said in comparing his new rookie QB, Dan Marino, to the existing QB, David Woodley who loved scrambling and running. "Woodley is an athlete playing QB and Marino is a QB playing QB."

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 4th, 2020, 7:27 am

Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:15 am
He looked like a QB on his 3rd OC in two years making his second start. Not saying he is definitively the guy, but to expect a QB like him to go out and light the world on fire right now isn't realistic. I remember arguing with people about Jordan Love early on who claimed he wasn't a "D1 caliber player" because his first several starts were rough. It's hard to be patient when we're getting the doors blown off, but that's exactly what we need to be with Peasley. He has potential to be a good one.
The difference with Jordan was he was still throwing for 250+ yards, 3 score and 3 picks.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Harcher

Post by Harcher » December 4th, 2020, 7:31 am

Madmartigan wrote:
So peasly gets a mulligan for the “environmental conditions “ but Shelly didn’t?

Just asking for a friend....

I just thought our whole situation sucked thanks to GA, and while Shelly wasn’t that good, his scapegoat status was way overrated. And I think that pressure broke him.

And as for posting qualifications, I don’t know anyone of consequence, like hart well or laub or maile, nor do have kids on the team. Just a fan of our Aggies on our lovely message board.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2020, 7:38 am

I've never really been a Peasley guy. He is a gifted athlete, but he is not a quarterback. Quarterbacks come into a game and make things happen. I was at the Wyoming game when Love finally got a chance. Even with the picks, Love had something that Myers didn't. When Chuckie started against Auburn, it was obvious he was special.

If we don't have someone special at quarterback on the team, then we need to go find one. Everything I hear on this board makes me think Legas could be special. It would be nice to see if that is the case.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2020, 7:56 am

Harcher wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:31 am
Madmartigan wrote:
So peasly gets a mulligan for the “environmental conditions “ but Shelly didn’t?

Just asking for a friend....

I just thought our whole situation sucked thanks to GA, and while Shelly wasn’t that good, his scapegoat status was way overrated. And I think that pressure broke him.

And as for posting qualifications, I don’t know anyone of consequence, like hart well or laub or maile, nor do have kids on the team. Just a fan of our Aggies on our lovely message board.
This sentence confused me. I don't think I mentioned anything citing to qualifications as a need to have an opinion. What are you referring to here?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2020, 8:00 am

Peasley is fine.
Legas will be a great Aggie.
QB isn't our problem.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
cval

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 4th, 2020, 8:07 am

True. Plays like this from our Oline especially a very experienced player didn’t help.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 8:32 am

Peasley had a rough game no doubt. But I see flashes of some really good potential. He'll never be a pocket QB but the combination of his quick feet and top end speed create a real mismatch. I think it depends on the type of offense the new coach wants to run but Peasley is a difficult matchup for a defense.

Remember that the Aggies are one of the country's youngest teams, they were playing their 3rd, 4th, and 5th string RBs, down their best receiver, their home run threat, and working with their 4th offensive coordinator in 2 years. That is a tough gig against a team as cohesive, disciplined, smart, and experienced as AFA.

Not saying Peasley is the guy but I wouldn't rule him out based on this game. He was far from the biggest problem on offense and in a different class than Shelley.

I sure hope he sticks around even if he's not in the new coaches plans for starting QB because he can be used a lot of ways. I liked him out of the empty backfield sets a lot because in a way he's his own RB and defenses have to respect that.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganBLUERUFiO

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 8:39 am

Elkaggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:07 am
True. Plays like this from our Oline especially a very experienced player didn’t help.

What is unbelievable about this is the guard and center were both looking at the LB who actually made the sack coming across their bodies from the right. So not only did #78 not get blocked by either one, the guy they were trying to block crossed their faces, looped around them, and was there to sack Peasley when he escaped. Neither lineman ended up blocking anyone.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 8:40 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:39 am
Elkaggie wrote:

What is unbelievable about this is the guard and center were both looking at the LB #45 who actually made the sack coming across their bodies from the right. So not only did #78 not get blocked by either one, the guy they were trying to block crossed their faces, looped around them, and was there to sack Peasley when he escaped. Neither lineman ended up blocking anyone.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 4th, 2020, 8:41 am

I like QB's that can throw.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
Roy McAvoy

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » December 4th, 2020, 8:53 am

Lets give the kid a few more games before we toss him to side, yes he had a bad game but he had pressure on him most of the game. Remember he is a young QB, all of them are, not sure the others would have done better. Give him the last game then let the new coach figure it out.
These users thanked the author pcaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 4th, 2020, 9:29 am

He’s fine and a definite upgrade from Shelley (I know that’s not saying much). But I also don’t think he’s the future.. Same with Coach Maile. Can’t play New Mexico every week.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 4th, 2020, 9:40 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:00 am
Peasley is fine.
Legas will be a great Aggie.
QB isn't our problem.
Probably a solid retort here S17vk. We've had enough of looking inside ourselves and it is painful.

On another note, it seems our former Q B Shelley was voted off the team by the team leadership. Coach Maile took the public responsibility ,,,a class act.... but the dismissal wasn't initiated by Coach Maile, actually a stand up guy and fine recruiter who is still writing his resume.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 4th, 2020, 9:41 am

Madmartigan wrote:
Agreed.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2020, 10:09 am

That first drive last night was a thing of beauty.

It was almost as if the Aggies spent the entire week scripting and practicing that one drive and didn't do anything else.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
splintorbBLUERUFiO

Eutaw St. Aggie

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 4th, 2020, 10:13 am

Yossarian wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:09 am

It was almost as if the Aggies spent the entire week scripting and practicing that one drive and didn't do anything else.
Yea but they could have just followed the instructions on a shampoo bottle: LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

splintorb

Post by splintorb » December 4th, 2020, 10:22 am

Yossarian wrote:

Oh man...I agree...I was thinking...man, are we going to control the clock against Air Force?! Please!

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2020, 10:27 am

taniataylor wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:13 am
Yossarian wrote:

Yea but they could have just followed the instructions on a shampoo bottle: LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT
Agreed. They seemed to give up on the run in the second half when it set them up with so many 3rd and shorts. Then the roll outs and nice crossers to Nathan, Wright, etc.

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 4th, 2020, 10:54 am

Guys, it's almost impossible at this point to measure individual players in any meaningful way, unless you sit down and watch all the film in relation to every other player, AND you happen to know what you re talking about. We are down to some backups in positions with a team that lost its HC, OC and QB mid season, and is now losing key players to the portal. I even think we had some guys playing out of position just to fill holes. Honestly, if you watched the receivers, some started jogging through their routes and made few second efforts. The OL blew a lot of blitz's and simple rushes, and Peasley seemed to make some questionable decisions and poor throws. Linebackers often were lost (Except for Maile. That kid can play). Add to this AF's punishing ability to run the ball, and this was a team effort (loss). Also, one cannot ignore the horrible officiating. We did not lose because of it, but it did kill our momentum in a key part of the game. AF passed it well, but not until after it started running us over. I have a lot of respect for many of the players and coaches who are still gutting it out under these circumstances. Watching Bond on the field after the game, you could tell he was devastated, as were others. We are a bit of a dumpster fire at the moment. It's no secret, but these players and coaches don't want to be. Winning these football games is hard enough when everything is going well. I don't know if Maile is the guy or not. A few games under these circumstances cannot be the measuring stick for him. I trust Hartwell is looking at all of his work, and that of other candidates, and will make the best decision. I hope the team can pick itself up this week, lick its wounds and go to CSU and finish with a great effort. That would be a win right now. I trust we'll climb out of this, especially if the new coach can get good talent to recognize what a great University USU is, what a great place it is to live and play football and the support one gets while doing it. GO AGGIES!
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post (total 2):
AngusAgaggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2020, 11:19 am

TrueAG wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:41 am
Agreed. I love Peasley's mobility and ability to take off with purpose and speed but you really can't go very far as a team without a QB that has at least some minimal level of accuracy throwing the ball. I'm not sure what that minimal accuracy level is but it is somewhere around Taysom Hill type ability. So far for Peasley, where the ball is going is a complete crap-shoot if the pass is over 10 yards down field.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 4th, 2020, 11:40 am

Aglicious wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 11:19 am
TrueAG wrote:
Agreed. I love Peasley's mobility and ability to take off with purpose and speed but you really can't go very far as a team without a QB that has at least some minimal level of accuracy throwing the ball. I'm not sure what that minimal accuracy level is but it is somewhere around Taysom Hill type ability. So far for Peasley, where the ball is going is a complete crap-shoot if the pass is over 10 yards down field.
I would hope we could at least have the AF's passing ability in our QB. I can't believe we were outgained by AF through the air.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 12:06 pm

sam tingey wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 11:40 am
Aglicious wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 11:19 am
TrueAG wrote:
I would hope we could at least have the AF's passing ability in our QB. I can't believe we were outgained by AF through the air.
To be fair Peasley would kill it against our D too.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
ShowMeAggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:54 am
Guys, it's almost impossible at this point to measure individual players in any meaningful way, unless you sit down and watch all the film in relation to every other player, AND you happen to know what you re talking about. We are down to some backups in positions with a team that lost its HC, OC and QB mid season, and is now losing key players to the portal. I even think we had some guys playing out of position just to fill holes. Honestly, if you watched the receivers, some started jogging through their routes and made few second efforts. The OL blew a lot of blitz's and simple rushes, and Peasley seemed to make some questionable decisions and poor throws. Linebackers often were lost (Except for Maile. That kid can play). Add to this AF's punishing ability to run the ball, and this was a team effort (loss). Also, one cannot ignore the horrible officiating. We did not lose because of it, but it did kill our momentum in a key part of the game. AF passed it well, but not until after it started running us over. I have a lot of respect for many of the players and coaches who are still gutting it out under these circumstances. Watching Bond on the field after the game, you could tell he was devastated, as were others. We are a bit of a dumpster fire at the moment. It's no secret, but these players and coaches don't want to be. Winning these football games is hard enough when everything is going well. I don't know if Maile is the guy or not. A few games under these circumstances cannot be the measuring stick for him. I trust Hartwell is looking at all of his work, and that of other candidates, and will make the best decision. I hope the team can pick itself up this week, lick its wounds and go to CSU and finish with a great effort. That would be a win right now. I trust we'll climb out of this, especially if the new coach can get good talent to recognize what a great University USU is, what a great place it is to live and play football and the support one gets while doing it. GO AGGIES!
I agree on Peasley and most of your other examples.. In other circumstances it was pretty easy to see Shelley had little potential and I've seen enough of a certain LB to see he's not in the shape to effectually play the position. With Peasley I see a young QB who has a skill that is so valuable that he is worth the effort to build on. He had some bad throws and that part of his game needs a lot of work and coaching but he's shown enough to believe he can be really valuable in a stable system with good coaching.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Elkaggie wrote:

Yeah. Ali'ifua really blew that one. It's like he didn't even try.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 4th, 2020, 2:56 pm

I've seen zero improvement on the O line from last season. That's not acceptable in a developmental program.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm

GUS wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 2:56 pm
I've seen zero improvement on the O line from last season. That's not acceptable in a developmental program.
Other than finally beginning practice in September, the guys haven't had a chance to develop and improve since last season.

Locked Previous topicNext topic