So who do you hope it is?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

So who do you hope it is?

Lance Anderson
6%
Mike Canales
2%
Jeff Choate
3%
Kenny Dillingham
6%
Graham Harrell
13%
Mark Helfrich
1%
Jay Hill
21%
Skip Holtz
2%
Lance Leipold
8%
Frank Maile
21%
Aaron Roderick
No votes
David Yost
2%
Someone else
14%

Total votes: 169

Aggie19

Re: So who do you hope it is?

Post by Aggie19 » December 4th, 2020, 12:29 am

aggietime wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:28 am
USUGrad01 wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:05 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:58 pm
Agzrule wrote:ViAggie I think it’s a west coaster as well!!
As long as Texas Tech doesn’t take this one too.
Graham Harrell it is then?
Harrell is making $1.2 million/year at USC. No way we can beat that, right?
Lance Anderson is on the West coast

Go Aggies!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2020, 12:32 am

aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Maybe he's willing to make a little less for the right HC opportunity? If Hartwell somehow pulls that off he is magic. I know Harrell was looking at other HC jobs prior to signing his extension with USC.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2020, 12:39 am

Aggie19 wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:29 am
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
True but Hartwell is infatuated with offense over defense so it's pretty likely that his targets are high octane offensive minded guys. Harrell checks the boxes. I have a concern that he became a hot name because his timing was great with various stops and players like Mason Fine at UNT and now Slovis at USC but it's hard to argue against the numbers and statistical improvements made at both stops.

Also, if he is the guy, I wonder if our bowl performance and fan turnout in the NM Bowl was an influence?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2020, 7:57 am

Brian Lindgren

stang

Post by stang » December 4th, 2020, 10:39 am

Aglicious wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
True but Hartwell is infatuated with offense over defense so it's pretty likely that his targets are high octane offensive minded guys. Harrell checks the boxes. I have a concern that he became a hot name because his timing was great with various stops and players like Mason Fine at UNT and now Slovis at USC but it's hard to argue against the numbers and statistical improvements made at both stops.

Also, if he is the guy, I wonder if our bowl performance and fan turnout in the NM Bowl was an influence?
Out of curiosity, why do you say Hartwell is infatuated with offense over defense? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’ve just never gotten that impression.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2020, 10:42 am

stang wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:39 am
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you say Hartwell is infatuated with offense over defense? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’ve just never gotten that impression.
After Andersen's dismissal, he spoke specifically to how bad our offense was compared to 2018, and how we'd gone from top 10 in the country to dead last. He also said he'd be open to defensive minded coaches, but his first question would be how they planned to fix our broken offense.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am

stang wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I've actually gotten the opposite impression from his past hire at Troy.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 4th, 2020, 10:54 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:48 am
stang wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I've actually gotten the opposite impression from his past hire at Troy.
maybe that's because it was the defense that was broken at Troy, and that it's not so much that Mr. Hartwell is married to one philosophy or another, just that he's pragmatic enough to recognize that if it's broke, you need to fix it?!
(although after last night's performance against AF, you could argue that our defense is in as bad a place as the offense :anonymous: )
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

SlumJum

Post by SlumJum » December 4th, 2020, 10:55 am

Another name to throw in the mix is Justin Frye. Young, upcoming, and a west coast guy.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 4th, 2020, 11:02 am

ShowMe - I absoultely agree, grab the best HC available for your situation. I think it shouldn't matter whether their background is in offense or defense, both are very important parts of the game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 4th, 2020, 11:16 am

From what I've seen this year, both offense and defense need to be fixed. We are currently 124th in the country in ppg. (We'd probably be last if you take out the New Mexico game) and we are 102nd in points given up.

There is a lot that needs to be fixed on this team. I don't know if there is one specific priority with so many flaws.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2020, 11:48 am

Sl7vk wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 10:42 am
stang wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggietime wrote:
USUGrad01 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

After Andersen's dismissal, he spoke specifically to how bad our offense was compared to 2018, and how we'd gone from top 10 in the country to dead last. He also said he'd be open to defensive minded coaches, but his first question would be how they planned to fix our broken offense.
Yes, my impression is based on the interviews and comments he has made since GA's dismissal. In addition to his comments above he also said that we once had an entertaining brand of offense and that we need that again to excite the fan base. He said specifically that the candidates he would look at need to be great offensive guys but then did add the quote from above that he'd "be open to a defensive coach but he'd better be prepared to show me his plan for the offense." All of that just sounds like he really wants an exciting offense that can score at a high rate more than he wants a defensive guru that can perhaps win games in low scoring fashion.

I agree that both sides of the ball need a serious overhaul.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Ah, I see. I didn't know about the interviews and you know what? He's right. Offense is sexier has a wider draw.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Ah, I see. I didn't know about the interviews and you know what? He's right. Offense is sexier has a wider draw.
Because this statement has been said ad nauseum through the history of football, it's generally (and often fallaciously) accepted: "Defense wins championships." Great defense CAN win championships, and so can great offense. Nick Saban was recently interviewed and had some interesting thoughts on the topic:

“It used to be that good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn’t beat good offense anymore,” Saban told ESPN on Friday. “It’s just like last week. Georgia has as good a defense as we do an offense, and we scored 41 points on them [in a 41-24 Alabama win]. That’s not the way it used to be. It used to be if you had a good defense, other people weren’t going to score. You were always going to be in the game.

“I’m telling you. It ain’t that way anymore."

Offense is more important. The rules have changed to benefit the offense and the offensive innovation has outpaced defensive innovation.

For those reasons, I prefer a coach that is an "offensive" coach.

Here's an illuminating read on the topic of offense v defense in CFB: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alaba ... hese-days/
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I don't know if we can beat it, but we might be able to come very close to matching it. And a lot of guys would be willing to take a small pay cut to be the head guy. Upward mobility is important in coaching. To get a really good job, it is very helpful to show that you can succeed as a head coach at a smaller school.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Well if you think Hartwell wants someone that can fix the offense and also has HC experience he may be looking at:

Sean Lewis (Kent State)- top offense in the nation this year and they did put up 51 on us in the Frisco bowl a year ago. He runs a balanced attack and is a young go getter.

Lance Leipold (Buffalo) - He’s a defense coach but he must know how to fix an offense seeing as his team is top 12 in the nation this year and they’ve set school offense records over the past several years. Maybe his OC Andy Kotelnicki (for the past 6 years) would come with him. They are a fairly run heavy offense though.

Blake Anderson (Arkansas State) - Also a top 20 offense and has taken ASU to 6 straight bowl games since Harsin left. His offense is pass heavy and exciting. He makes $825k now. Not sure what we could offer.

Jim McElwain (Central Mich) - has never had a problem creating good offense. Somewhat a retread but I’d prefer him over Butch Jones.

Butch Jones (Alabama OA) - Also an offense guy with successful HC experience, though he’d be a bit of a retread.

If he’s willing to do with someone without HC experience:

Harrell (USC OC) - USC is ranked around 20th in offense, which is decent, but he’s been labeled as an up and coming offensive mind. Maybe partially due to his Texas Tech air raid days as QB.

Grimes (BYU) - Also highly rated offense. Though I’d argue that he is benefitting greatly from Wilson.

Zak Hill (Arizona State)

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 4th, 2020, 12:19 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Well if you think Hartwell wants someone that can fix the offense and also has HC experience he may be looking at:

Sean Lewis (Kent State)- top offense in the nation this year and they did put up 51 on us in the Frisco bowl a year ago. He runs a balanced attack and is a young go getter.

Lance Leipold (Buffalo) - He’s a defense coach but he must know how to fix an offense seeing as his team is top 12 in the nation this year and they’ve set school offense records over the past several years. Maybe his OC Andy Kotelnicki (for the past 6 years) would come with him. They are a fairly run heavy offense though.

Blake Anderson (Arkansas State) - Also a top 20 offense and has taken ASU to 6 straight bowl games since Harsin left. His offense is pass heavy and exciting. He makes $825k now. Not sure what we could offer.

Jim McElwain (Central Mich) - has never had a problem creating good offense. Somewhat a retread but I’d prefer him over Butch Jones.

Butch Jones (Alabama OA) - Also an offense guy with successful HC experience, though he’d be a bit of a retread.

Harrell (USC OC) - USC is ranked around 20th in offense, which is decent, but he’s been labeled as an up and coming offensive mind. Maybe partially due to his Texas Tech air raid days as QB.

Grimes (BYU) - Also highly rated offense. Though I’d argue that he is benefitting greatly from Wilson.

Zak Hill (Arizona State)
I'd be pretty happy if we got Lewis, Leipold or Anderson.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » December 4th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Turtle wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:05 pm
With that punt, I want to change my vote from Maile.. You can't punt the ball at 4th and inches with 2 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter while down three scores. Trust your players. Play to win, not to prevent it from being a blow-out.

EDIT: I still like Maile and have seen major improvements in team chemistry and motivation under his helm, but I don't think he has what it takes to be the head coach. Other options can still bring the same motivation and drive to the team but also have other characteristics and experience necessary to be a head coach.
I think this is an appropriate description for how I view the fb situation.

I wouldn't be hurt if it was him, but I don't think it will be yet (if it ever is :noidea: ).

I don't have a pulse on it so I have know idea who I want this time around.

I want someone to win the interview like Gary 1.0 did. I knew it would be him that first time. A similar level of excitement for FB at usu would be great to see in the new coach along with many other things. One being some signature games and improvement in their space

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 4th, 2020, 12:29 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Zak Hill (Arizona State)
I"m out of patience with the McBride coaching tree. Time for a change, and I don't think picking up a Bougar is the answer.

Harrell is a fascinating notion, but awfully pricey, as already noted ($1.2M/year). I read he got a 3-year extension in advance of this season. Does that mean there's a buy-out? Too lazy to read his contract, even if it is available online (USC is a private and thus doesn't have to publish such things).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 4th, 2020, 12:50 pm

I change my vote away from Maile after the 4th & 1 late 3rd quarter when he decided to punt down 28-7 even and especially after he had a timeout to reconsider. That was not a decision made with any confidence to win the game. We need to return to a winning attitude. Right now we are at a mid 2000's Aggie low point and I am depressed about it.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 4th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Hollllllyy cow!!! This is gonna be good....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 6):
SlumJumnewtonianblueMadmartiganViAggieBLUERUFiOUSU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » December 4th, 2020, 12:59 pm

taniataylor wrote:Hollllllyy cow!!! This is gonna be good....
Have you heard something?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 4th, 2020, 1:13 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 12:55 pm
This is why I love having Tania on the board. I love having a little insight into the players' minds (or at least one of them).

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2020, 1:14 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Urban Meyer?

Mike Leach?

Kevin McGiven?

Mike Canales?

Kent Myers?

cval

Post by cval » December 4th, 2020, 1:17 pm

The board turned against Frank much more quickly than it turned toward him. Despite your pronouncements that this game ends all speculation that includes Frank, I suspect that it didn’t really change anything as far as Hartwell and his team are concerned.

Either Frank is being strongly considered or not, but this didn’t cement the decision one way or the other.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
BLUERUFiO

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

cval wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 1:17 pm
The board turned against Frank much more quickly than it turned toward him. Despite your pronouncements that this game ends all speculation that includes Frank, I suspect that it didn’t really change anything as far as Hartwell and his team are concerned.

Either Frank is being strongly considered or not, but this didn’t cement the decision one way or the other.
Right, we all know Hartwell does not make big decisions based on one game of evidence. He usually take at least three games to decide these things. :devil:

coolag

Post by coolag » December 4th, 2020, 1:24 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Brian Kelly it is.

Regulator of Class

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 4th, 2020, 1:24 pm

cval wrote:

I don't think it cemented a decision, but I don't agree that it didn't change anything. At the time GA was fired, I don't believe Frank would have been a serious contender. However, if he could have turned things around in these final games, which was admittedly a colossal task, he would have become a viable candidate. Unfortunately, after showing some false hope against NM, trajectory is seemingly unchanged.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » December 4th, 2020, 1:32 pm

taniataylor wrote:
These users thanked the author HomeTown for the post (total 2):
ViAggieBLUERUFiO

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 4th, 2020, 1:56 pm

taniataylor wrote:
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieBLUERUFiO

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

cval

Post by cval » December 4th, 2020, 1:57 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 1:24 pm
cval wrote:

I don't think it cemented a decision, but I don't agree that it didn't change anything. At the time GA was fired, I don't believe Frank would have been a serious contender. However, if he could have turned things around in these final games, which was admittedly a colossal task, he would have become a viable candidate. Unfortunately, after showing some false hope against NM, trajectory is seemingly unchanged.
I think you are accurately describing the attitude of the board, but I believe Hartwell has a higher order process for his decision making that what Frank does when handed command of a badly leaking ship.

I suspect there are things going on that even the "in the know" members of the board are not aware of, and those things play a major role in how this shakes out.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2020, 2:21 pm

taniataylor wrote:
This clearly tips the scale towards Canales.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseBLUERUFiO

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm

taniataylor wrote:
So good that Jordan decides to play in 2021?
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
ViAggietaniataylor

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 4th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 2:21 pm
taniataylor wrote:
This clearly tips the scale towards Canales.
Thought this joke would get old but it just never does lol
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
aggies22MadmartiganSl7vkUSU78

aggietime

Post by aggietime » December 4th, 2020, 3:00 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 1:14 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Urban Meyer?

Mike Leach?

Kevin McGiven?

Mike Canales?

Kent Myers?
Urban! Urban! Urban!

(I know he is never coming to coach at USU. Ever. But imagine for a minute watching the catastrophic meltdown the other two instate fan bases would have.)

Insiders do we have an update on timing?

Locked Previous topicNext topic