Yost....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Yost....

Post by brownjeans » December 7th, 2020, 9:36 am

I don't really want Wells or Yost back. But the idea that Wells was a bad HC for USU is flat wrong. Was he perfect? No. It was his first HC job, so he was learning on the job. Still, he did a great job and held USU where we should reasonably expect to be - 7.5 wins on average (7.33333...).

People like to look for reasons to dismiss his success - giving credit to Andersen or Yost instead. No one succeeds in a vacuum and Wells could have easily failed in spite of any help.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 4):
aggies22mcaggie1WasatchAggieJSHarvey

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2020, 9:41 am

Sl7vk wrote:
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:22 am
Sl7vk wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:54 am
aggies22 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Them tt boosters really want the guy who covers for rape allegations.
That’s whit noise IMHO.
Harrell to TT after wasting our time by pumping his stock.
Wells is a coordinator at Tulsa in a few years.
That game against Jansas on Saturday broke the entire fan bases will to endure another MW season.
And I don’t blame them.
I too think it will be Harrell in Lubbock.
Now fill in the blank. It will be __________ in Logan.
Now fill in the blank. It will be__Lance__ in Logan.
Please be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I might be. But whether it's Lance Leipold or Lance Anderson I think we will have done very well with either.
And as mcaggie1 stated above, I am not at all in the know, just wagering based on percentages since two candidates have the first name.
I’d be great with lance Anderson.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
splintorb

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:03 am
bluegrouse wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 2:11 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:54 pm
Surprised at all the hatred towards Wells. This guy was an Aggie. As a player, he was a member of the team that beat BYU and won the first bowl game in USU history. As a coach he has the second most wins in program history, behind the guy that the stadium used to be named after, has the most bowl wins and bowl appearances in school history, and the most wins against BYU since Chuck Mills who was coaching at the same time the Apollo program was putting people on the moon 50 years ago. Of the six best seasons in USU history, he has three of them, including tied for the most wins in a season, and alone with the second most wins in a season. He may have had a gruff personality, but he was an Aggie, and he was a winner.

But no, I don't want any re-treads as coaches.
Honestly, it’s just ridiculous and embarrassing how he is treated around here.
Yep, the Wells hate is probably the weirdest thing about this board. He did a pretty good job here.
Wells is an aggie and I am grateful for his time here as a head coach. In close games he struggled, but overall I cannot complain one bit about the program he ran here. We went to bowl games in all but 1 year. He also brought some of the high points of Aggie football from a fan perspective for me.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarvey

BigBlueAggie

Re: Yost....(Wells)

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 7th, 2020, 9:49 am

Agree with you Aggie84025, while I understand not wanting Coach Wells as our head coach again (particularly after our current re-hire disaster), I also don't understand all the Matt Wells loathing. I always had good dealings with him. He could be pretty intense, but I like that in a head coach. And he was/is Aggie through and through.

As a reminder: He is the winningest coach in USU history. Winning more games in 6 years (44) than E. Lowell Romney did in 10 (40), and had a higher winning percentage than Coach Anderson and a higher winning percentage over any other coach in the last 45 years, since Phil Krueger. (1973-75).

I will forever be grateful for the year that Wells, Yost, and Jordan Love had in 2018. Being at the Mav that year was absolutely nuts. As a reminder, after damn near beating Michigan State, we then went on a 10 game win streak averaging 51 points a game for that period. Including beating BYU 45-20 in Provo. I doubt we ever see a year like that again.
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post (total 9):
aggies223rdGenAggiesplintorbTurtlebluegrouseWasatchAggiecdaAgJSHarveyAggieUprising50

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:47 am
December 7th, 2020, 9:03 am
bluegrouse wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 2:11 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:54 pm
Surprised at all the hatred towards Wells. This guy was an Aggie. As a player, he was a member of the team that beat BYU and won the first bowl game in USU history. As a coach he has the second most wins in program history, behind the guy that the stadium used to be named after, has the most bowl wins and bowl appearances in school history, and the most wins against BYU since Chuck Mills who was coaching at the same time the Apollo program was putting people on the moon 50 years ago. Of the six best seasons in USU history, he has three of them, including tied for the most wins in a season, and alone with the second most wins in a season. He may have had a gruff personality, but he was an Aggie, and he was a winner.

But no, I don't want any re-treads as coaches.
Honestly, it’s just ridiculous and embarrassing how he is treated around here.
Yep, the Wells hate is probably the weirdest thing about this board. He did a pretty good job here.
Wells is an aggie and I am grateful for his time here as a head coach. In close games he struggled, but overall I cannot complain one bit about the program he ran here. We went to bowl games in all but 1 year. He also brought some of the high points of Aggie football from a fan perspective for me.
Yeah he wasn't perfect, but he is the best Aggie coach of the past 40 years and one of us.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
mcaggie1JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:49 am
Agree with you Aggie84025, while I understand not wanting Coach Wells as our head coach again (particularly after our current re-hire disaster), I also don't understand all the Matt Wells loathing. I always had good dealings with him. He could be pretty intense, but I like that in a head coach. And he was/is Aggie through and through.

As a reminder: He is the winningest coach in USU history. Winning more games in 6 years (44) than E. Lowell Romney did in 10 (40), and had a higher winning percentage than Coach Anderson and a higher winning percentage over any other coach in the last 45 years, since Phil Krueger. (1973-75).

I will forever be grateful for the year that Wells, Yost, and Jordan Love had in 2018. Being at the Mav that year was absolutely nuts. As a reminder, after damn near beating Michigan State, we then went on a 10 game win streak averaging 51 points a game for that period. Including beating BYU 45-20 in Provo. I doubt we ever see a year like that again.
I hope one day we can see a year like 2018, but compared where we are at right now that seems like a long ways away.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:

I hope one day we can see a year like 2018, but compared where we are at right now that seems like a long ways away.
That would be nice.

In 2018, USU had 29 touchdown scoring drives of less than 1 minute of game clock - that is unbelievable.

In 2020, USU has scored a total of 10 offensive touchdowns, total, in six games. We have four total rushing touchdowns - 3 of those TDs are in the transfer portal and the fourth was from a QB.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 7th, 2020, 2:36 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:

That would be nice.

In 2018, USU had 29 touchdown scoring drives of less than 1 minute of game clock - that is unbelievable.

In 2020, USU has scored a total of 10 offensive touchdowns, total, in six games. We have four total rushing touchdowns - 3 of those TDs are in the transfer portal and the fourth was from a QB.
Even further we won 11 games in Football and 28 in basketball in the same year. Will that ever happen again? I think we only lost like 5 games between the two in that span.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
JSHarvey

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 7th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 9:30 am
2004AG wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
That’s whit noise IMHO.
That game against Jansas on Saturday broke the entire fan bases will to endure another MW season.
And I don’t blame them.
Please be wrong.

Well I might be. But whether it's Lance Leipold or Lance Anderson I think we will have done very well with either.
And as mcaggie1 stated above, I am not at all in the know, just wagering based on percentages since two candidates have the first name.
Very good. I didn’t pick up on that at first. I forgot Anderson.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » December 7th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I would take Yost back as OC in a heartbeat.

I thought Matt Wells did a good job in his time here. He beat Byu 3 times, gave us our only BSU win in decades, only missed one bowl game, and turned the program from a 3 win team in 2016 to a 10 win team in 2018. Although I wouldn’t recommend a MW 2.0, I wish them the best
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarvey

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 7th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Yeah, I’d take Yost back for sure. I may be crazy but I’d consider him for HC as well.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
ViAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 7th, 2020, 3:40 pm

If Yost was rumored to be brought in by Hartwell and forced Wells hand to hire him (at least that’s what’s been rumored) maybe JH will hire him as Head Coach. I certainly hope not but who knows at this point.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:14 pm
I don’t care if my ex gets dumped by the next guy.
....I'm not taking her back!!!

BUUUUT what if she was all that in the sack? :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 7th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Wasn't Yost a HC in the past? And didn't he go back to coordinator to not have the pressures of a HC?

I remember hearing about this while he was a coordinator here. If so, did something change?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I'd take Wells and Yost back, those where the Halocin days of modern USU FB. But then again, one could argue that so was GA before him. There's an old saying about going back home, what was it again?

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Wasn't Yost a HC in the past? And didn't he go back to coordinator to not have the pressures of a HC?

I remember hearing about this while he was a coordinator here. If so, did something change?
Yes, that is correct.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 7th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Please no to Spicolli (Yost). The hurry up offense is a gimmick. I can't stand to see us melt down offensively trying to go up-tempo any more. Matter of fact I've not seen it the past 2 weeks... Praise the Lord!!!
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
ViAggieoleblu111

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 7th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
That’s whit noise IMHO.
And I don’t blame them.
Please be wrong.

OR could it be Brian DeLance Johnson? That's right....I dug deep for that one. :thanks:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOToedrAgSl7vkAggie19

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 7th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
That’s whit noise IMHO.
And I don’t blame them.
Please be wrong.

OR could it be Brian DeLance Johnson? That's right....I dug deep for that one. :thanks:
Bravo!

GUS

Post by GUS » December 7th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Liepold kind of gives me a Chuck Shelton vibe. Could be good or bad. Lewis excites me a bit more.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 7th, 2020, 8:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:07 pm
Honest question. For those of you that say no way. Why?
I thought Wells did a good job here, but I would not bring him back. 2nd go aroundS do not go well usually, but there are exceptions. USU needs new blood and a fresh face.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 8:41 pm

FireWells wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:53 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 6th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Wells isn't getting fired after this year. Probably not after next either.
Willing to bet on that?
Yeah I'll bet you a smoothie at Smoothie King in College Park, Maryland.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 7th, 2020, 8:52 pm

December 7th, 2020, 8:41 pm
FireWells wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Willing to bet on that?
PG County representing
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 7th, 2020, 8:56 pm

FireWells wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Willing to bet on that?
Why College Park?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 7th, 2020, 9:46 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:56 pm
FireWells wrote:
AgMac wrote:
Willing to bet on that?
Why College Park?
I used to live near there and would go to that smoothie king.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 8th, 2020, 8:29 am

Halcyon.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 8th, 2020, 9:59 am

Ahbye wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 8:29 am
Halcyon.
You say tomato I say Halocin :lol:

But yea, my English sometime no bueno :thanks:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 8th, 2020, 10:26 am

GUS wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Liepold kind of gives me a Chuck Shelton vibe. Could be good or bad. Lewis excites me a bit more.
Shelton vs any coaching prospect today is apples and oranges. Remember when Shelton coached us, he had next to no decent facilities, and not near the budget of today. Plus we were in a very weak conference. When Shelton was announced, it was the same time Lou Holtz was hired at Notre Dame. I had dinner with Lou a few months before spring ball at a sales and marketing convention. I was lucky to be placed next to Lou, who was our keynote speaker. I asked Lou if he knew Chuck. He said yes, he knew him very well. I asked if he thought Chuck could win at USU. he said “absolutely Chuck could win, IF he had the money and the facilities.”

Well, we all know the rest of that story. So I give a bit of a break to Shelton,and think he was a fine coach...given the circumstances.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 3):
AngusAgoleblu111AggieBlues

Matador
Has thanked: 0

Post by Matador » December 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm

The open secret in Lubbock is that the AD told Wells to fire Yost. Wells refused. We will see what happens from here, but it looks like Matt Wells is about collect $9.2Million to not be the football coach at Texas Tech.
These users thanked the author Matador for the post:
FireWells

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 4:38 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:26 am
GUS wrote:
Shelton vs any coaching prospect today is apples and oranges. Remember when Shelton coached us, he had next to no decent facilities, and not near the budget of today. Plus we were in a very weak conference. When Shelton was announced, it was the same time Lou Holtz was hired at Notre Dame. I had dinner with Lou a few months before spring ball at a sales and marketing convention. I was lucky to be placed next to Lou, who was our keynote speaker. I asked Lou if he knew Chuck. He said yes, he knew him very well. I asked if he thought Chuck could win at USU. he said “absolutely Chuck could win, IF he had the money and the facilities.”

Well, we all know the rest of that story. So I give a bit of a break to Shelton,and think he was a fine coach...given the circumstances.
Chuck Shelton wasn't terrible in conference at USU, but he certainly struggled outside of it. Did he ever win a nonconference game while coaching the Aggies?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
oleblu111

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 8th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Matador wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm
The open secret in Lubbock is that the AD told Wells to fire Yost. Wells refused. We will see what happens from here, but it looks like Matt Wells is about collect $9.2Million to not be the football coach at Texas Tech.
Which is sort of hilarious and ironic because Wells was told in no uncertain terms by the AD that Yost would be hired at USU to fix the offensive mess that Wells was in while head coach. Yost did exactly that.

I remember we were a little skeptical of Yost at first and some wanted him gone immediately but he really can put a great offense together if he has the horses to run it. I think TTU's biggest issue has been injuries and lack of a consistent unit on the offensive side of the ball. Different starting QB's and different skill position players each week doesn't make for very efficient execution. Yost's offense is one that can look completely void of creativity or imagination if the execution is lacking but when it can be executed it is a thing of beauty.

I'm also surprised that Yost is taking the brunt of the blame. Wells has continued to make boneheaded decisions in games (the same ones he made at USU and the reason not a whole lot of people were sad to see him go) which have lead directly to losses. The offense has put up some big numbers in a few games and has scored a decent amount of points and the team still lost because the defense couldn't stop anyone. I know the hate for Patterson may only be exceeded by that for Wells and Yost but why is the defense not taking a lot of the blame?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Matador wrote:
Which is sort of hilarious and ironic because Wells was told in no uncertain terms by the AD that Yost would be hired at USU to fix the offensive mess that Wells was in while head coach. Yost did exactly that.

I remember we were a little skeptical of Yost at first and some wanted him gone immediately but he really can put a great offense together if he has the horses to run it. I think TTU's biggest issue has been injuries and lack of a consistent unit on the offensive side of the ball. Different starting QB's and different skill position players each week doesn't make for very efficient execution. Yost's offense is one that can look completely void of creativity or imagination if the execution is lacking but when it can be executed it is a thing of beauty.

I'm also surprised that Yost is taking the brunt of the blame. Wells has continued to make boneheaded decisions in games (the same ones he made at USU and the reason not a whole lot of people were sad to see him go) which have lead directly to losses. The offense has put up some big numbers in a few games and has scored a decent amount of points and the team still lost because the defense couldn't stop anyone. I know the hate for Patterson may only be exceeded by that for Wells and Yost but why is the defense not taking a lot of the blame?
Yost is taking a ton of blame after the Kansas game. That might have been the worst offensive performance in college football this year considering who they were playing. Kansas has given up 38 points or more in every single game this year, yet Tech could only put up 16 and only got one touchdown. It was a bizarre game how bad the offense was. Had Tech beat Kansas 50-10 like they should have, perception would be different right now.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 9th, 2020, 11:24 am

Matador wrote:
Hey, I'll not be the football coach at Texas Tech, and my price is half that.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggies All the Way!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 9th, 2020, 11:53 am

PIGSKINAGGIE wrote:Agreed. Was glad to have Wells here as a coach. He provided the best years of Aggie football that I remember, started watching and paying attention to the team that I love back in jr. high in the late 70s. Had some good teams with Hipple and Giammona then crap for the most part for 35 years. Had a lot of good times the last decade watching the Aggies and I appreciate so much what the last decade of Aggie football has been and Wells played a damn big part of it. Forever thankful to him and the great seasons and players we’ve had. He left, no looking back, time to move on.

Same with Yost, thanks but time to move on.
I wonder how many who labeled him a prick actually had a conversation with him?

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 9th, 2020, 12:08 pm

December 8th, 2020, 4:38 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:26 am
GUS wrote:

Chuck Shelton wasn't terrible in conference at USU, but he certainly struggled outside of it. Did he ever win a nonconference game while coaching the Aggies?
Yes he did win against a top 25 FSU team in Romney. Remember that he played as many as 2 money games, and Utah in SLC every year as well a YBU in their glory years. He was a very good coach that had nothing at USU to work with.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
AngusAgFull

Locked Previous topicNext topic