Boise trying to leave mwc

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Boise trying to leave mwc

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:33 pm

pilotaggie

Re: Boise trying to leave mwc

Post by pilotaggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm

How would Boise fair as an independent? I have think they would be about like BYU??
These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
sstrasser

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 8th, 2020, 3:48 pm

The article suggests they still want to leave, but given the context it might just be they wanted to leave given it didn’t look like we’d have a season.

If Boise wants to leave, I wouldn’t be too worried unless they took 2 plus teams with them.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:48 pm

As Iago, of Aladdin fame, once said:

"I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from not surprise."
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
NVAggieAggieBlues

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Where would they go? They're not getting a P5 offer; their school system sucks too much! They're blowhards.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on December 8th, 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Slim80

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 8th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Although they could pull a BYU and create another new conference (say backed by ESPN), then I might be interested under that scenario. Worth keeping an eye on.
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on December 8th, 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 8th, 2020, 3:53 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 3:50 pm
Where would they go? They're not getting a P5 offer, their school system sucks too much! Their just blowhards
I'm afraid our school system has failed some of us, too.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 7):
3rdGenAggieAGinNEIowaLarryTheAggieaggieguy13FloridaAggie13GreenAgSweepDance

Eutaw St. Aggie

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » December 8th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Nothing to see hear, folks. Just a whiney coach that thinks way too highly of himself.

The Mountain West provides BSU the easiest path to the NY6 and they haven't managed to do that since 2014. For how much they beat up on the rest of the MW, they've only won the conference title 3 times in the 7 years its been played for.

I would LOVE to see that arrogant fan base deal with the 7 or 8-win ceiling that comes with playing in the current AAC or as an INDY. Factor in the massive travel expenses they'd incur and it will be even more enjoyable to witness the collapse.

It's all smoke and the exodus won't happen. Their sweetheart deal with MW and the level of competition they get to steamroll every year is just far too good to abandon.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 8th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Interesting. I can't stand Boise. They are BYU-lite. I get it that they are just looking out for their best interests, but that's the growing problem with college athletics. How about we all work together to make the strongest Mountain West possible. I hate that they get more revenue than everyone else. It's no wonder they are the standard. They are the most recognizable football brand in the conference, and football drives the bus, and I get all that, but outside of football they are a very underwhelming university. My fear isn't that Boise will leave, but that if they do, will others such as SDSU follow. The only real options for them to jump to is:

A) AAC - I could see Boise and BYU commiserating together and making a pitch to the AAC for football only. Would Boise and BYU be enough to push the AAC to be considered a Power Conference? They still have quite a few bad teams though.

B) Big 12 - I still think B12 would consider Cincinnati or Memphis or Houston or BYU over Boise, unless it's football only.

C) Independent - Not sure this would be wise. BYU has had a hard enough time pulling this off and BYU has its own network and broader fan base.

D) New P5 Football only conference - Is it out of the realm of possibilities to think Boise, BYU, SDSU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, ...... could form a football only conference and become P6?

I can't see any other P5 inviting them other than the B12. I really like the regional rivalries in all athletics that this conference provides. Personally, if I was in their position I wouldn't want to sacrifice the rest of our sports programs (drop to a lower conference) so that our football team could move up....unless it was a P5 offer and the money that comes along with that. Going Indy or moving to the AAC wouldn't be worth it to me.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
StudyHallPE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 8th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Didn't the already leave the what essentially became the AAC once already? Thanks to them, we're in the MWC today LOL

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 8th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Change is coming soon for the entire landscape of college football. It is CRITICAL we get back to being one of the conference leaders quickly (football and basketball) and make ourselves as attractive as possible. A splashy football hire is a big part of that. We absolutely can not settle for a mediocre candidate to replace Anderson.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Imakeitrain

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 8th, 2020, 5:17 pm

The entire system is a house of cards right now. The P5 are desperately trying to protect their position, and as soon as the G5 wizen up, the entire thing topples.

With that said, I hope Boise bolts. Good bye, get lost, etc... If you can do it better on your own, feel free.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
MWCFAN12GreenAg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 8th, 2020, 6:56 pm

It's like the seasons, spring, summer, fall, boise threatening to leave, winter.

At some point the MWC needs to call their bluff.

Part of me wishes that BYU would have gone undefeated this year so that they show everyone that there is only 1 independent team with a path to the playoffs (or even a Big 6 bowl) and that team has gold helmets. No other team will be invited. Pluss the outrage of BYU fans from being left out even though they were undefeated would have been sublime.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » December 8th, 2020, 7:19 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:11 pm
Interesting. I can't stand Boise. They are BYU-lite. I get it that they are just looking out for their best interests, but that's the growing problem with college athletics. How about we all work together to make the strongest Mountain West possible. I hate that they get more revenue than everyone else. It's no wonder they are the standard. They are the most recognizable football brand in the conference, and football drives the bus, and I get all that, but outside of football they are a very underwhelming university. My fear isn't that Boise will leave, but that if they do, will others such as SDSU follow. The only real options for them to jump to is:

A) AAC - I could see Boise and BYU commiserating together and making a pitch to the AAC for football only. Would Boise and BYU be enough to push the AAC to be considered a Power Conference? They still have quite a few bad teams though.

B) Big 12 - I still think B12 would consider Cincinnati or Memphis or Houston or BYU over Boise, unless it's football only.

C) Independent - Not sure this would be wise. BYU has had a hard enough time pulling this off and BYU has its own network and broader fan base.

D) New P5 Football only conference - Is it out of the realm of possibilities to think Boise, BYU, SDSU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, ...... could form a football only conference and become P6?

I can't see any other P5 inviting them other than the B12. I really like the regional rivalries in all athletics that this conference provides. Personally, if I was in their position I wouldn't want to sacrifice the rest of our sports programs (drop to a lower conference) so that our football team could move up....unless it was a P5 offer and the money that comes along with that. Going Indy or moving to the AAC wouldn't be worth it to me.
A) Even if considered a power conference, could it generate the TV revenue? Probably not, especially with the financial reckoning coming to TV contracts in the next few years.

B) While football drives the bus athletically for universities, university presidents consider a whole lot more than just football when adding a team to the conference. Aside from being in a completely different time zone than any other B12 team, Boise just doesn't stack up to any B12 school except for the middle of the pack football teams. And even if added for football only, I just don't see Boise pulling in the players to be able to compete with the upper echelon of the B12.

C) No way will independence work for Boise. The only schools that have even arguably been able to navigate independence successfully are schools with inherent and built-in fanbases. Notre Dame is the standard that YBU only wishes it could emulate. And outside of those two (and maybe not even YBU since it lusts after a P5 invite), only Army is an independent by choice. Not only does Boise lack that built-in fanbase, Boise not that large of a draw nationally to have any viable path to success as an independent. And the travel costs would kill them financially as well as probably having to pay teams to travel to Boise to play.

D) Not happening. There is no collection of schools that Boise could cobble together with enough success to be considered a power conference. And even if Boise could convince enough schools, the geographic footprint is so impracticable that I just don't see 10-12 other university presidents agreeing to do it since it would handcuff the schools financially too much.

Unless there is a complete upheaval in college football alignment, which I am not totally writing off, Boise has no where else to go. I agree that USU needs to right its football ship in case that complete upheaval comes so we at least have an argument to make to move into whatever emerges.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
Full

NorCalAggie

Post by NorCalAggie » December 8th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Academically they barely qualify for the Mountain West.
These users thanked the author NorCalAggie for the post:
AngusAg

ParadiseAggie

Post by ParadiseAggie » December 8th, 2020, 8:26 pm

I am sick of Boise and all their complaining. What does their coach have to gain to instigate moving to a different conference? Better pay? Better competition to lose to and look bad against? He sounds like a whiny toddler that doesn't entirely understand the consequences of his actions.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 8th, 2020, 9:06 pm

The p5 will not allow another conference. Notice each p5 conference have a few traditional powers with lots of money and prestige. The aac plus BYU and Boise does not have that or anything close to it. Really you will see the p5 condense before it expands.

And I don’t see it balancing out on a budget to justify conference trips to Florida, North Carolina, pa for teams in Idaho or Utah.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 8th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Nonstory. Boise isn't leaving.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 8th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Agreed.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2020, 9:33 pm

NorCalAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:48 pm
Does the MWC have academic standards for membership ?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 8th, 2020, 9:34 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Agreed.
I agree as well but that's what makes this whole story that much more of a head scratch. I think Boise sees themselves as a bigger player than they actually are. It's no wonder them and BYU are lovers.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 8th, 2020, 9:36 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:34 pm
slcagg wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Agreed.
I agree as well but that's what makes this whole story that much more of a head scratch. I think Boise sees themselves as a bigger player than they actually are. It's no wonder them and BYU are lovers.
Correct.

But also context here. This also may have been around the fact the mountain west wasn’t playing at the time.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm

The whole point is that the MWC commish was a total doofus last summer and was led by the nose by the PAC and Big10. Thompson was afraid to make a decision.

Losing them would really hurt the MWC and the MWC would fall way behind the AAC as top G5 league, but there is nowhere for them to go, so that is the end of it.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 8th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm
The whole point is that the MWC commish was a total doofus last summer and was led by the nose by the PAC and Big10. Thompson was afraid to make a decision.

Losing them would really hurt the MWC and the MWC would fall way behind the AAC as top G5 league, but there is nowhere for them to go, so that is the end of it.
I dont think so. Plus where are they going to go? Even if they go to the ACC which would be terrible for them traveling. What are they going to do with the Olys? WCC wont taken them. The Big west ? Doubtful being a all Cali conference +Hawaii and Hawaii pays big time for that ( I think around $500 per person per trip to Hawaii) Maybe the WAC. Boise isn't going anywhere and the commissioner and presidents need to grow a par and stop bending over for them.

I could make a solid argument that SDSU has a much better chance of leaving.
And in 6 - 10 years I think UNLV might be able to make a argument too.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 8th, 2020, 10:50 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Jjoey52 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:24 pm

I dont think so. Plus where are they going to go? Even if they go to the ACC which would be terrible for them traveling. What are they going to do with the Olys? WCC wont taken them. The Big west ? Doubtful being a all Cali conference +Hawaii and Hawaii pays big time for that ( I think around $500 per person per trip to Hawaii) Maybe the WAC. Boise isn't going anywhere and the commissioner and presidents need to grow a par and stop bending over for them.

I could make a solid argument that SDSU has a much better chance of leaving.
And in 6 - 10 years I think UNLV might be able to make a argument too.
Good point. Based solely on location and facilities, SDSU and UNLV would get a P5 invite before Bosie ever would.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 8th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Maybe the MWC needs to think outside the box and invite some of the better AAC teams to join with us - add an "eastern division." Or at least get Gonzaga and St. Mary's to join in Basketball. The latter option would add some major prestige to the conference and eliminate the WCC as a viable landing spot (in non-football sports) if Boise ever decided to bolt.

Plus, it'd stick it to BYU!

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 9th, 2020, 6:38 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:33 pm
NorCalAggie wrote:
Yes. Students must be able to read and write their own first and last name. As stated Boise State barely qualifies.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 9th, 2020, 10:12 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:33 pm
NorCalAggie wrote:
Not really, but Boise can barely qualify with those.

I think they tried this, and ended up having to come back when the Big East imploded.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 9th, 2020, 10:23 am

Also ...

Water wet
Grass green
Fire hot
Snow cold
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
ViAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 9th, 2020, 10:48 am

The MWC seems to be playing more defense than offense lately.

There was Thompson's failed courtship of Gonzaga. Thompson's lack of interest in adding Wichita State.

Then in basketball, frequent rumors that MWC members are trying to join the AAC for football---I've seen Boise, Air Force, and Colorado State all rumored.

MWC is down in football and basketball. Need a stronger commissioner who can do a better job of building up the conference.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Perhaps they could join SUU and Weber State and rejoin the WAC? https://www.ksl.com/article/50063697/so ... ll-revival
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Full

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 9th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Since school presidents have the capacity to agree to and arrange conference alignments it seems BOISE has no where to go, just as their failed BIG EAST adventure a few years ago. Who would Boise align with expect BYU, SDSU and possibly AIR FORCE? Considering the Broncos and the Aztecs came back to the fold after the BIG EAST imploded I'd wager BOISE just wants to continue on with the lions share of T V money. Non revenue sports expenses would eat the Broncos alive. WHERE WOULD-COULD BOISE GO?

The Mountain West is a decent conference and provides a good natural geographic and historical fit for the schools involved. Boise is a unique institution with a school attached to a successful footfall program that also has inflicted a blue turf field on itself. Not an repressive marketing tool when lobbying for new conference mates.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

Aggie702

Post by Aggie702 » December 9th, 2020, 6:24 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Change is coming soon for the entire landscape of college football. It is CRITICAL we get back to being one of the conference leaders quickly (football and basketball) and make ourselves as attractive as possible. A splashy football hire is a big part of that. We absolutely can not settle for a mediocre candidate to replace Anderson.
Maybe you have info I don't, but short of the P5 leaving to create their own league/division/association I just don't see what can happen. And if that happens we would then be fighting among the same G5 teams/conferences we are now, possibly for a smaller piece of pie. Unless your suggesting that if the P5 leaves, the G5 teams would try and create a "middle tier" league with the most attractive G5 teams. Even if so, geography and cost limits what you can do, especially now when I'm guessing budgets are getting slashed left and right due to covid.

SEC/Big 10/ACC/PAC12 are all fat and happy. Why would anyone leave those conferences? The Big12 would probably like one or two more teams, but they've had that option for years and have made the determination none of the G5 teams are worth adding. Any G5 or BYU would jump at a Big 12 offer with no hesitation.

So while I'm not doubting you, I'm curious as to how you see the landscape changing over the next five years.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 9th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Aggie702 wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 6:24 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Maybe you have info I don't, but short of the P5 leaving to create their own league/division/association I just don't see what can happen. And if that happens we would then be fighting among the same G5 teams/conferences we are now, possibly for a smaller piece of pie. Unless your suggesting that if the P5 leaves, the G5 teams would try and create a "middle tier" league with the most attractive G5 teams. Even if so, geography and cost limits what you can do, especially now when I'm guessing budgets are getting slashed left and right due to covid.

SEC/Big 10/ACC/PAC12 are all fat and happy. Why would anyone leave those conferences? The Big12 would probably like one or two more teams, but they've had that option for years and have made the determination none of the G5 teams are worth adding. Any G5 or BYU would jump at a Big 12 offer with no hesitation.

So while I'm not doubting you, I'm curious as to how you see the landscape changing over the next five years.
You are dead right the P5 don’t want any change.
Change is coming in the form of athletes getting a share of the revenues and THAT will explode the current system.

bull

Post by bull » December 9th, 2020, 6:44 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:57 pm
Maybe the MWC needs to think outside the box and invite some of the better AAC teams to join with us - add an "eastern division." Or at least get Gonzaga and St. Mary's to join in Basketball. The latter option would add some major prestige to the conference and eliminate the WCC as a viable landing spot (in non-football sports) if Boise ever decided to bolt.

Plus, it'd stick it to BYU!

I really really like the Gonzaga St Mary’s idea. The MW definitely needs to be making some proactive moves to grow/improve.

Locked Previous topicNext topic