Game @ Weber Canceled?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ParadiseAggie

Game @ Weber Canceled?

Post by ParadiseAggie » December 10th, 2020, 11:54 am

I’m hearing that the game Saturday will be canceled due to COVID cases. Can anyone confirm?

GameFAQSAggie

Re: Game @ Weber Canceled?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 10th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Pretty likely. It seems like with Covid, every time a rumor starts of a game getting cancelled, it eventually turns out to be real. Can't thing of any reason for there to be false leaks about covid.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Yes. This game is OFF. Dixie State is also in question.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » December 10th, 2020, 12:40 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm
any idea, our side or theirs?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm

aggies22 wrote:
:wtf: Who should we Blame? Smith?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 10th, 2020, 1:28 pm

If the Dixie State game is also in question, that tends to indicate that it is our side.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
sstrasser

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 10th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:28 pm
If the Dixie State game is also in question, that tends to indicate that it is our side.
Correct.

bpd

Post by bpd » December 10th, 2020, 2:09 pm

I thought a lot of our guys already had it?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

ParadiseAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:54 am
I’m hearing that the game Saturday will be canceled due to COVID cases. Can anyone confirm?
Covid or malnutrition?

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » December 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Life

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I don't have reason (other than screw them), but I say we blame BYU.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
Aggie in Boisesstrasserflying_scotsman2.0USU78

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 10th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I don't have reason (other than screw them), but I say we blame BYU.
Amen to that!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
sstrasser

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 10th, 2020, 3:17 pm

It's official now. USU has a covid problem and has paused all activity.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2020/1 ... celed.aspx

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 10th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Well this sucks I hope everyone that has it fully recovers. The Weber and Dixie game would have been good tests to iron out things before conference. The last 8 months of 2020 have been garbage.

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » December 10th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I'll start by saying I know this is a bad public health idea...

...but considering the cynical nature of most pro sports franchises and even "amateur" teams or clubs and either their ignorance or wanton dereliction of COVID-19 safety protocol, wouldn't it make sense for these organizations to stop the ongoing nuisance of the pandemic in one fell swoop?

We see how teams don't follow protocols and then get "surprised" when they have to alter plans last minute. Instead of enduring sporadic game cancellations and roster rotations all season long, wouldn't it be in their best interest to host team COVID parties and get it over with so they can continue unimpeded moving forward? Essentially they'd take a 2-3 week hiatus now, get all of the athletes infected and "recovered" and then move on with their season.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm

thrashsoundly wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:05 pm

...but considering the cynical nature of most pro sports franchises and even "amateur" teams or clubs and either their ignorance or wanton dereliction of COVID-19 safety protocol, wouldn't it make sense for these organizations to stop the ongoing nuisance of the pandemic in one fell swoop?

We see how teams don't follow protocols and then get "surprised" when they have to alter plans last minute. Instead of enduring sporadic game cancellations and roster rotations all season long, wouldn't it be in their best interest to host team COVID parties and get it over with so they can continue unimpeded moving forward? Essentially they'd take a 2-3 week hiatus now, get all of the athletes infected and "recovered" and then move on with their season.
In their best interest, or in your best interest? It sounds like you're worried less about the players and coaching staff and more about being able to watch your basketball games without interruption.

For most of these guys, basketball isn't their life and future career; it's their gateway to an education. To put themselves in a situation where they get sick just so there are no hiccups in entertainment for the masses is a silly idea. The NCAA has already made it so that this year doesn't count towards eligibility. Someone could sit the entire season out and lose nothing (on paper). Just... have a little empathy for these guys as actual people, with families, loved ones, school, and other goals.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieAggieFBObsessionaggieguy13

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 10th, 2020, 4:16 pm

I blame the refs from the BYU game.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggiesam tingey

Formerly TulsAGGIE

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » December 10th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm
In their best interest, or in your best interest?
My personal opinion is that we should not be having sports in the US and Europe at all right now because of COVID.

Playing devils advocate to my own opinion and since there is blatant disregard for the pandemic throughout the country, I say "their best interest" mostly from a selfish or self-sustaining financial perspective, particularly in the pros.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 10th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

In their best interest, or in your best interest? It sounds like you're worried less about the players and coaching staff and more about being able to watch your basketball games without interruption.

For most of these guys, basketball isn't their life and future career; it's their gateway to an education. To put themselves in a situation where they get sick just so there are no hiccups in entertainment for the masses is a silly idea. The NCAA has already made it so that this year doesn't count towards eligibility. Someone could sit the entire season out and lose nothing (on paper). Just... have a little empathy for these guys as actual people, with families, loved ones, school, and other goals.

I see where this is headed.

These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 10th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:25 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

Crap! There's still time to salvage this.

While missing these games will suck, at least we don't need the experience before playing our next D2 opponent, SJSU. Also, the article mentioned that we would look to reschedule later in the season. Can you do that? I thought once conference play started, you only did conference games?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 10th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

Crap! There's still time to salvage this.

While missing these games will suck, at least we don't need the experience before playing our next D2 opponent, SJSU. Also, the article mentioned that we would look to reschedule later in the season. Can you do that? I thought once conference play started, you only did conference games?
Definitely. No need to involve the moderators.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » December 10th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Most of the time teams stick with conference games because their total number of games will max out, but they are free to schedule last minute games later in the season, and we've done this with non D1 teams in the past. This season also may end being a lot of scrambling all over the country for games last minute like what happened with VCU.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
thrashsoundly wrote:

Can I suggest the mods to be open to, rather than moving ENTIRE threads to the sandbox, splitting up threads between sports discussion and health discussions, and keeping the sports discussion while moving a separate thread with the health discussion posts into the sandbox?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 10th, 2020, 4:39 pm

jimbo wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Most of the time teams stick with conference games because their total number of games will max out, but they are free to schedule last minute games later in the season, and we've done this with non D1 teams in the past. This season also may end being a lot of scrambling all over the country for games last minute like what happened with VCU.
With all the weird last minute schedule changes in EVERY SPORT going on this year, there's no reason why they won't allow OOC games to be scheduled at the last minute.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » December 10th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Blame Canada!
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 10th, 2020, 5:31 pm

nvspuds wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Blame Canada!
Leave Liam out of this. 😉

Donman

Post by Donman » December 10th, 2020, 5:32 pm

While never good to cancel a game. Best to get through this now before conference season starts.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 10th, 2020, 6:21 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm
Can I suggest the mods to be open to, rather than moving ENTIRE threads to the sandbox, splitting up threads between sports discussion and health discussions, and keeping the sports discussion while moving a separate thread with the health discussion posts into the sandbox?
The biggest reason we don't do that very often is because it's a lot of work. It would be nice if people would just stay on topic but if it goes far enough it's just 2 clicks to move an entire thread where it can take 15-20 minutes to sift through and filter out the crap.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 10th, 2020, 6:21 pm

muh muh muh myyyy shaRONA

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 10th, 2020, 9:40 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:31 pm
nvspuds wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:28 pm