David Yost now available

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: David Yost now available

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 14th, 2020, 9:58 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:02 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm
December 14th, 2020, 11:58 am
Yossarian wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:51 am
I can't imagine how tough it has to be for a head coach to fire a coordinator. These guys spend so much time together all year round. They have to develop a pretty strong bond - hanging out and getting to know them and their families personally. To have to fire a guy that you have worked so closely with has got to be tough.
I imagine it was extremely hard for Wells. Not just the 4 years together, but Yost changed the tide of Wells career.
Ironically, AFiH, USU leadership pulled the reins from the offense away from Wells and forced the hiring of Yost, saving Wells job when he was backed into a corner.

I also don't see the logic in giving a hard grade to a coach this season due to COVID unless there is more to the story. Yost is a tremendous offensive mind and was the perfect mentor for J. Love. I'm curious what type of offensive scheme TT's benefactors really want to see?
That is something we agree on. He was great at USU.
From reading your posts we probably agree on more than we think might. :cheers:
Probably so. I apologize for the Castro jab. We can disagree (even strongly), but I shouldn't have gone there.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 14th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
I can't imagine how tough it has to be for a head coach to fire a coordinator. These guys spend so much time together all year round. They have to develop a pretty strong bond - hanging out and getting to know them and their families personally. To have to fire a guy that you have worked so closely with has got to be tough.
It'd actually be fairly easy. The AD comes to you and says, fire your OC or you're gone, I'd be like "Hey Yost, you're toast!"

Joking aside, Wells is done after next year, Yost was the only thing he had going for him

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 14th, 2020, 11:40 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 11:27 pm
Yossarian wrote:
It'd actually be fairly easy. The AD comes to you and says, fire your OC or you're gone, I'd be like "Hey Yost, you're toast!"

Joking aside, Wells is done after next year, Yost was the only thing he had going for him
I do find that TT fans have an odd obsession with scoring lots of points and racking up lots of yards and being very prolific on offense and the obsession seems to supersede winning. They put up some huge offensive numbers a few times this season and still lost in those games. Everything there is compared to the Mike Leach years which just isn't reality for any program in the country except where Leach happens to be HC. His formula is great for QBs looking to put up video game type numbers but it doesn't always equal wins. Until TT demands to have a defense worth a lick nothing will change. Outscoring everyone is a lot easier if you somewhat focus on limiting the points scored against you ...a foreign thought in Lubbock.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 15th, 2020, 12:09 am

Those of you complaining about a fast offense better buckle up. Anderson just promised in his presser we'd run the fastest offense in the country next year. And Yost wasn't a gimmick. He's run offenses that put a lot of QBs into the nfl.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 15th, 2020, 5:08 am

Ahbye wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 12:09 am
Those of you complaining about a fast offense better buckle up. Anderson just promised in his presser we'd run the fastest offense in the country next year. And Yost wasn't a gimmick. He's run offenses that put a lot of QBs into the nfl.
Don't you know "up tempo" is a gimmick? We want none of it :joking:
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Ahbye

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » December 15th, 2020, 6:51 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I’m afraid you are right, consistency is key for their type of offense and bringing in a new OC just changes too many variables.

The crazy thing about TTs wins are they barely barely won the games they did. He could easily be 0 for this year.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 15th, 2020, 6:57 am

... wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 6:51 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I’m afraid you are right, consistency is key for their type of offense and bringing in a new OC just changes too many variables.

The crazy thing about TTs wins are they barely barely won the games they did. He could easily be 0 for this year.
I can't imagine how hard it will be for Wells to hire a new OC right now. "Hey coach, do you want to come be my OC for the next year? We will both get fired in one year, buy hey at least we will make good memories."

The AD is not setting Wells up for success, but then again that might be the goal at this point.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

Ahbye wrote:
OR.....
he lucked into offenses which had NFL caliber QB's, and just hung on for the ride!
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
El Sapo

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 15th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:08 am
Ahbye wrote:
Don't you know "up tempo" is a gimmick? We want none of it :joking:
I'll own that :golfclap: Yost and his up-tempo offense is an antique side show. Unless we get another QB like Love to run it, the up-tempo will not work for us. My only hope is that Anderson was talking about fast plays and fast players on offense. A State didn't run it.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » December 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm

I love fast offenses, but as was mentioned earlier, a team needs a defense too. That is something we do not have. I feel like a defense should almost come first. Slow the other team down, and then put our fast offense on the field to score lots of points. It does not good to score lots of points if our already weak defense is too tired to do anything.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 15th, 2020, 2:35 pm

December 14th, 2020, 9:58 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:15 pm
December 14th, 2020, 9:02 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm
December 14th, 2020, 11:58 am
Yossarian wrote:
I imagine it was extremely hard for Wells. Not just the 4 years together, but Yost changed the tide of Wells career.
Ironically, AFiH, USU leadership pulled the reins from the offense away from Wells and forced the hiring of Yost, saving Wells job when he was backed into a corner.

I also don't see the logic in giving a hard grade to a coach this season due to COVID unless there is more to the story. Yost is a tremendous offensive mind and was the perfect mentor for J. Love. I'm curious what type of offensive scheme TT's benefactors really want to see?
That is something we agree on. He was great at USU.
From reading your posts we probably agree on more than we think might. :cheers:
Probably so. I apologize for the Castro jab. We can disagree (even strongly), but I shouldn't have gone there.
It's all good. I often "let it fly" over in the sandbox when I would be best served to count to ten before submitting my post :-)

Locked Previous topicNext topic