What even was the point

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgSpaceCase

What even was the point

Post by AgSpaceCase » December 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I have not been following all the tiny details of this Kerfuffle but I was talking with my wife and trying to explain the timeline of the problems and the hiring of the new coach and we don't get why this even happened. From the interviews it is clear that the school was in process of negotiating and completing the hiring since at least Monday and had completed all the interviews by the previous weekend. A decision must have already been made if Pres. Cockette was making comments on why Maile would not be hired in a zoom meeting on Tuesday or Wednesday. She would have already been updated on the process and approved the hiring before the offer is official.... Unless I am missing something.

What was the point of meeting with the team other than to just claim they got input as a warm fuzzy for the process? The claim is that they were wanting input from the players but that makes no sense so late in the process. From what I can tell there wasn't really any legitimate point to the meeting. Like an HOA meeting where the HOA board is asking for input on a raise of fees that already approved.

Did Cockette and Hartwell think the players would come in requesting a total change in coaching staff after all the time and effort and relationships with the current staff and validate their decision?

What am I missing because the more I think about it the meeting was just a dumb idea guaranteed to backfire.
These users thanked the author AgSpaceCase for the post (total 2):
sockpuppetJjoey52

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

JSHarvey

Re: What even was the point

Post by JSHarvey » December 15th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Wise words.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 1:14 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm
I have not been following all the tiny details of this Kerfuffle but I was talking with my wife and trying to explain the timeline of the problems and the hiring of the new coach and we don't get why this even happened. From the interviews it is clear that the school was in process of negotiating and completing the hiring since at least Monday and had completed all the interviews by the previous weekend. A decision must have already been made if Pres. Cockette was making comments on why Maile would not be hired in a zoom meeting on Tuesday or Wednesday. She would have already been updated on the process and approved the hiring before the offer is official.... Unless I am missing something.

What was the point of meeting with the team other than to just claim they got input as a warm fuzzy for the process? The claim is that they were wanting input from the players but that makes no sense so late in the process. From what I can tell there wasn't really any legitimate point to the meeting. Like an HOA meeting where the HOA board is asking for input on a raise of fees that already approved.

Did Cockette and Hartwell think the players would come in requesting a total change in coaching staff after all the time and effort and relationships with the current staff and validate their decision?

What am I missing because the more I think about it the meeting was just a dumb idea guaranteed to backfire.
You are spot on. It was just show business, prosecuting a useful fiction of effective player input. I have been on such "advisory panels" many times in my life, as well as being part of actual decision making. Once you've been on both the difference is obvious, and you are quite astute in pointing this out. Well friggin done.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Jjoey52

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » December 15th, 2020, 1:15 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:

The football leadership council initiated the meeting.

I don't want to speak for Cockett and Hartwell on why they agreed to the meeting. That said, Hartwell is generally pretty open to meeting with student athletes.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm

I'd really like to know who on the leadership council is comprised of on our team.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:26 pm
I'd really like to know who on the leadership council is comprised of on our team.
Me2

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » December 15th, 2020, 1:42 pm

The team has leadership?
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOOrangeCountyAggie

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 1:54 pm

BioAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:42 pm
The team has leadership?

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » December 15th, 2020, 4:52 pm

I think the leadership council has torpedoed any chance of future “input” meetings with the administration.
These users thanked the author YouEssYou for the post:
USU78

rAggie

Post by rAggie » December 15th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I think it was in the Brennan McFadden post on Facebook that the "leadership council" consists of 20-30 players, so it might be better to ask who is not on the leadership council.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm

That was a year and a half ago.. So not sure it would be 20 plus

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 15th, 2020, 5:50 pm

rAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 5:10 pm
I think it was in the Brennan McFadden post on Facebook that the "leadership council" consists of 20-30 players, so it might be better to ask who is not on the leadership council.
If Brennan McFadden is believed then Maile either lied or was lied to by his source. McFadden's claim was that it was that
1. Maile was discriminated for being Utahn
2. Maile was discriminated against for being LDS.

Maile's claim was that he was told he was discriminated against for being Poly.

Several things can be true at once, I'm just more skeptical of McFadden in that he seems far removed- and it seems odd that either he (or his source) would leave racial discrimination out of the claim.

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » December 15th, 2020, 8:16 pm

And we wonder why the other mo mo candidates weren’t interviewed

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 15th, 2020, 8:25 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:16 pm
There were other mormon candidates that were interviewed.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
USU78

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 8:27 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:25 pm
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
Like the Bougar douche, for example.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 15th, 2020, 10:29 pm

USU78 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:25 pm
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
Like the Bougar douche, for example.
I actually don't think they are LDS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 16th, 2020, 7:41 am

Grimes is not LDS. Maybe Jay Hill was never seriously looked at due to his religion.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 16th, 2020, 8:44 am

Hiring a HC should be an attempt to fill a long-term position, say minimum 5 years. There is no reason to consult the players; they are the variable in the equation. Some will stay, some will transfer, but eventually all of them will be gone within the next few years, replaced by the next crop of players. And so on.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2020, 9:31 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 7:41 am
Grimes is not LDS. Maybe Jay Hill was never seriously looked at due to his religion.
Grimes may not be, but he stinketh of Bougar.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 16th, 2020, 10:38 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:15 pm
AgSpaceCase wrote:

The football leadership council initiated the meeting

A set up??
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

Chatman wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 10:38 am
Floppy Hat wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 1:15 pm
AgSpaceCase wrote:

The football leadership council initiated the meeting

A set up??
I think likely

Locked Previous topicNext topic