If Cockett gets the boot?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blue Sage

If Cockett gets the boot?

Post by Blue Sage » December 15th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I’ve no idea what happened or not but I’m hearing from a USU HR source that things aren’t looking great for Cockett. Are they right, who knows? Regardless it is very possible USU may soon be in the hunt for a new President. I wish Stan could return but I’m pretty sure he’s out of the game. Any ideas on a list for possible Presidents? Any insiders recommend a president that would be the right hire to ensure Usu sports are properly supported?

#hornsup!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: If Cockett gets the boot?

Post by brownjeans » December 15th, 2020, 10:44 pm

I hope Crockett stays. People should get a chance to recover when mistakes are made.
She could turn around and make a concerted effort at increasing diversity at USU. That would be really great for USU and Cache Valley
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
ViAggieSlim80JSHarvey

USUallyAGGrIvatEd

Post by USUallyAGGrIvatEd » December 15th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:33 pm
I’ve no idea what happened or not but I’m hearing from a USU HR source that things aren’t looking great for Cockett. Are they right, who knows? Regardless it is very possible USU may soon be in the hunt for a new President. I wish Stan could return but I’m pretty sure he’s out of the game. Any ideas on a list for possible Presidents? Any insiders recommend a president that would be the right hire to ensure Usu sports are properly supported?
Yeah maybe Stan could come back and issue another apology to BYU on behalf of the Cockett and the school due to discrimination of LDS folks. That would ensure a decade of losses to BYU in football also. He could double down on the curse.
These users thanked the author USUallyAGGrIvatEd for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiBLUERUFiOViAggieaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Yeah no on Mr Apology. We've lost to byu enough.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 15th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Stan is 78 now, after retiring at age 74. Now way he comes out of retirement.

I did hear when we had the opening we filled with Cockett, students were impressed with presentations from another finalist who was from Boise, who has since became the president of Texas A&M Commerce.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » December 15th, 2020, 10:55 pm

I’ve heard from a few that the former county attorney guy who was at snow and now at Southern U as president. Cache valley guy. Wyatt I think is his name.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 15th, 2020, 11:08 pm

I was initially skeptical that she said what she was accused of but I’ve since had conversations with a couple people on the call or well connected with the program and she’s in a bad spot.

USUallyAGGrIvatEd

Post by USUallyAGGrIvatEd » December 15th, 2020, 11:09 pm

Maybe we hire an LDS, Polynesian, Utah born Republican and kill 4 birds of “never gonna happen at USU” with one stone.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:08 pm
I was initially skeptical that she said what she was accused of but I’ve since had conversations with a couple people on the call or well connected with the program and she’s in a bad spot.
Interesting. That is why it is good to wait for things to play out. While some were attacking her before all the evidence came out, many people on here were defending her and attacking the players. Hope we know all the facts soon. If she was truly bigoted, she should lose her position.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 15th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Sounds like Wish Fulfillment wet dream to me.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
El SapoJSHarveyNavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 15th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Well there had better be something far more substantial come out if she's going to lose her job over it. So far none of the alleged quotes are even news worthy, let alone something egregious enough to warrant being fired.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
3rdGenAggieEl SapoJSHarveyUSUGrad01Imakeitrain

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 15th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Well there had better be something far more substantial come out if she's going to lose her job over it. So far none of the alleged quotes are even news worthy, let alone something egregious enough to warrant being fired.
Hopefully everything comes out and we can go from there. I imagine it was some misunderstanding with emotions high.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieJSHarvey

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » December 16th, 2020, 12:49 am

USUallyAGGrIvatEd wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:09 pm
Maybe we hire an LDS, Polynesian, Utah born Republican and kill 4 birds of “never gonna happen at USU” with one stone.
No not diverse enough.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 16th, 2020, 3:05 am

Aglicious wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 11:28 pm
Exactly. And don’t you think that the players that were on the call that were interviewed by KUTV would have come with the worst possible piece of the conversation to justify their stance? All they had was THAT?
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 16th, 2020, 6:59 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:44 pm
I hope Crockett stays. People should get a chance to recover when mistakes are made.
She could turn around and make a concerted effort at increasing diversity at USU. That would be really great for USU and Cache Valley
I agree.

Do you mean racial diversity? Cultural diversity? Religious diversity? If religious, then does that mean LDS or non-LDS?

She probably thought she was increasing religious and cultural (whatever that means) diversity with the hire.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2020, 7:04 am

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:59 am
brownjeans wrote:
I agree.

Do you mean racial diversity? Cultural diversity? Religious diversity? If religious, then does that mean LDS or non-LDS?

She probably thought she was increasing religious and cultural (whatever that means) diversity with the hire.
By diversity I mean differences of all kinds. It's hard for a people to learn about and be understanding of people who are different when all their friends are the same as them.

I don't suppose to know her thoughts. As far as I know she could have thought most the players were Protestant or evangelical and she was trying to hire someone the same, not different.

Purposely hiring or admitting students with race and or religion as a factor is a dangerous thing. I think the best thing to do is reach out to diverse people groups and be welcoming and inviting.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 16th, 2020, 7:17 am

I was not impresses with the shortlist last time around, but I think everyone on earth knew that Cockett would get the job. So that could be why the shortlist was not that impressive.

I do think that Wyatt at SUU should get a strong look, he has done some good things for SUU and is an Aggie.

But I think there are some very qualified people around the country that should also get a look.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » December 16th, 2020, 7:27 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 7:17 am

But I think there are some very qualified people around the country that should also get a look.
yOU aRE rACIST aGAINST pEOPLE fROM uTAH!
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
LarryTheAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 16th, 2020, 7:28 am

Ultimately, Hartwell and Cockett never should have entertained the meeting with the leadership council. They had already made their decision. Nothing the players said to them was going to sway them to hire Maile. That meeting was a trap, not necessarily by the players, but just in general. It was a bad business move. You never talk about age, religion, race, gender, etc. Those are big no-no's. It never should have been mentioned. If you have that meeting, only listen to the players. Don't even say anything. Sounds like it may cost her this nice gig.

Wyatt would be a good president. He has increased SUU enrollment significantly. He should be considered.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeansJSHarvey

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 16th, 2020, 7:46 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 7:04 am
WannabeAgAlum wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 6:59 am
brownjeans wrote:
I agree.

By diversity I mean differences of all kinds. It's hard for a people to learn about and be understanding of people who are different when all their friends are the same as them.

I don't suppose to know her thoughts. As far as I know she could have thought most the players were Protestant or evangelical and she was trying to hire someone the same, not different.

Purposely hiring or admitting students with race and or religion as a factor is a dangerous thing. I think the best thing to do is reach out to diverse people groups and be welcoming and inviting.
A agree with the overall sentiment. Trying to reconcile your last sentence with your second-to-last sentence.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 16th, 2020, 7:52 am

It would not surprise me at all, if they determine that she did nothing wrong, or even said something that was misunderstood, and announce that the results of the investigation as such. Then after stating that she did not discriminate and will remain the president, they negotiate a nice early retirement package and she leaves within a year anyway.

I think that some serious damage has been done regardless of what was actually said. So they may decide that the best way to move forward for everyone is for her to retire. For better or worse that is the world we live in now.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 16th, 2020, 8:35 am

If that is the case, you will lose the the most athletic friendly president in school history, then next one might not be so friendly.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post:
GUS

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 16th, 2020, 8:40 am

Aggieiester wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:35 am
If that is the case, you will lose the the most athletic friendly president in school history, then next one might not be so friendly.
Is Frank Galey anti-athletics?

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 16th, 2020, 8:42 am

If I remember right people thought Cockett would be anti athletics too. It seemed like she did not care about athletics until after she became president.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 16th, 2020, 8:45 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:40 am
Aggieiester wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:35 am
Is Frank Galey anti-athletics?
I dont think we have to worry about him... We cannot hire people named Frank.
:stirpot:

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 16th, 2020, 8:53 am

Intermeddler wrote:
Cool, then tell us what she said. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you and oleblue111 come on here beating your chests about all the knowledge of the situation you have but refusing to disclose. Let's have it.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
JSHarvey

GUS

Post by GUS » December 16th, 2020, 8:58 am

If Cocket is forced to leave then the University has become too woke for me.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
USUGrad01

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 16th, 2020, 9:10 am

AgMac wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:53 am
Intermeddler wrote:
Cool, then tell us what she said. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you and oleblue111 come on here beating your chests about all the knowledge of the situation you have but refusing to disclose. Let's have it.
Did it ever occur to you there are numerous reasons I might not give you all details of what I’ve been told? My initial post was hardly beating my chest. I give hints when I can because I think people might like to hear what people close to this are saying. If it offends your sensibilities that I don’t give you a transcript of what was said, that’s your issue not mine. Like the guy who started this thread you omitted from your list of offenders, things aren’t looking good for her based on what she said on the call. Ignore me if this post doesn’t meet your criteria.
Last edited by Intermeddler on December 16th, 2020, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
brownjeansoleblu111

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 16th, 2020, 9:14 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:49 pm
Stan is 78 now, after retiring at age 74. Now way he comes out of retirement.

I did hear when we had the opening we filled with Cockett, students were impressed with presentations from another finalist who was from Boise, who has since became the president of Texas A&M Commerce.
He could run for President if the US :lol: :joking: Too soon? Too Sandboxy? :joking:

Uh yea NO, Crockett should not be fired unless she came right out and said I didn't consider FM because he was a Mormon and a Pacific Islander. If she didn't outright say that, and it truly was a misinterpretation, she should keep her job, unless there was some previous disciplinary actions that we were not aware of and this is the straw that broke the camels back. Get her some sensitivity training or something.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 16th, 2020, 9:22 am

Intermeddler wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 9:10 am
AgMac wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:53 am
Intermeddler wrote:
I don’t owe you details. I drop hints when I can. Take it or leave it.
I'll leave it in the big bucket of vague, worthless (I can't express myself without swearing) that we've been fed.

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » December 16th, 2020, 9:39 am

Did anyone else see this from KUTV news, I don't think it was posted in another thread but I could be wrong

The two, whose identities have not been made public, agreed this was the tenor of her statement: "What do we say to outside people who ask us about hiring an LDS person from Utah? We tried that, and it didn’t work."

That doesn't sound bad at all to me and I am of that faith. They should have just stated they had a more qualified candidate but I don't find anything too alarming by that statement.

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » December 16th, 2020, 9:44 am

If she really said what is being alleged then I hope she's gone. There is no room for that type of discrimination.
These users thanked the author imanaggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 16th, 2020, 9:45 am

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 10:55 pm
I’ve heard from a few that the former county attorney guy who was at snow and now at Southern U as president. Cache valley guy. Wyatt I think is his name.
Scott Wyatt.

cval

Post by cval » December 16th, 2020, 9:46 am

Well we are still wondering what was actually alleged, so who knows?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 16th, 2020, 9:47 am

GUS wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 8:58 am
If Cocket is forced to leave then the University has become too woke for me.
We still don't fully know what she said, but if she said she wouldn't hire someone because they are Polynesian or Mormon, woke or not woke enough for you, she shouldn't be president of a major university.

To be fair, we still don't fully know the facts and should of course wait until the investigation is complete.

Locked Previous topicNext topic