Who the New Coaches Are (UPDATED)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Re: Who the New Coaches Are.

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 4th, 2021, 8:03 am

Sl7vk wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 7:55 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 7:32 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 8:34 pm
Guys, this Polynesian pipeline that you keep talking about is long gone.
It's like saying we need to re-invest in Horse and Buggy because that worked for us in the past.
No.
The best Polynesian athletes all go to Pac-12 schools. Look at Oregon versus USC in the PAC-12 championship. For some reason this was an under recruited niche 10 years ago but it's over.
The next best Polynesians that are mormon all go to BYU. Look at the track record since Sitake took over. We can't compete, we are wasting our time trying, because all we are getting is the scraps.
Please show the great Polynesian athletes that Frank Maile, Justin Ena or Bojay have brought in to our program since Sitake took over in Provo? Ena has had his son commit, and Maile had his cousin commit both of which will be going to BYU IF BYU has any interest in either.
Trying to turn back the hands of time to some forlorn strategy that worked back in the day is the recipe for disaster.
Let's see what these new guys can get in Florida, Texas, California or non-mormon's from Utah. We simply aren't going to win going after mormon Polynesians any more.
This is a weird take. All the top Florida kids are staying in the south, all the top California kids are playing in the pac 12 all the top texas kids are playing at P5 school, so you want to take those scraps but not Polynesian scraps or mormon scraps? Cool.

Some of our best up and coming players right now are poly ( look at the RB room).

All else equal, if you have two identical players, a poly from utah or someone from Florida, who is more likely to come and stay in Logan?

Not saying every player needs to be from utah or Polynesian, but to ignore those players would be a mistake. In the end I want the best team possible, and do not care where the players come from.

However, we are going to have a even bigger perception problem is there is not a single lds or Poly full time coach. The court of public opinion already thinks USU discriminates against Polys and Mormons, that could get worse. But I also recognize that hiring someone just to prove that you are not a bigot is not a good way to hire.

In short, everything is complicated, and I know absolutely nothing.
I think that we are 100% on the same page in that we should take the best player.
All things being equal do you take the Utah kid over the Florida kid? For sure! Usually all things aren't equal though. You don't ignore Polynesian, Local or Mormon kids, but you don't over index your recruiting there, because it's no longer a winning formula.
It's my personal opinion that we could do far better with the athletes that weren't able to get into SEC schools from Florida or Texas than those that weren't able to get into the University of Utah and BYU here locally. That's just my personal opinon.
This. SEC schools do recruit higher caliber kids than Utah and BYU, so someone left over from the SEC is going to be higher caliber than someone leftover from Utah and BYU. That said, I do think if it's between, say a kid from Florida who is passed on be the SEC schools but is good enough to get Sun Belt offers, and and a kid from Sandy who is passed on by Utah and BYU but has Mountain West offers, you take the kid from Sandy with Mountain West offers.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOSl7vk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 9:51 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 7:37 pm
Sounds like were snagging most of Miami's good recruiters, I like Van Dyke a lot reminds me of a Corey Raymond type of DB coach.
I thought the EXACT same thing my Aggie brother!

JSHarvey

Re: Who the New Coaches Are (UPDATED)

Post by JSHarvey » January 4th, 2021, 11:23 am

What do the "Quality Control" coaches do? Just curious.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 4th, 2021, 11:30 am

Any word on Stacy Collins?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 11:31 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:30 am
Any word on Stacy Collins?
Gone.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 11:32 am

Even though I have him listed as unconfirmed I do believe that Paul Jackson will in fact be the S&C guy.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOslcagg

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » January 4th, 2021, 11:43 am

The last two coaching announcements are interesting considering the school is anti-poly. :sarcasm:

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » January 4th, 2021, 12:20 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 12:26 pm

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ethan Banda (Formerly Miami, FL)
Banda's first name is Ephraim...as in the old grizzly bear...
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
aggies22

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 4th, 2021, 12:22 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:23 am
What do the "Quality Control" coaches do? Just curious.
They control quality.

Aggies All the Way!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 4th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Does this seam like a very young staff? I know they supposedly upped the pot so I wonder why so young, unless our coordinators are soaking up a ton and then there’s a drop on positional coaches.., I’m not complaining, I just think it seems interesting. It could be a really great strategy, but it could also leave us vulnerable to poaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donman

Post by Donman » January 4th, 2021, 2:40 pm

I think it was important we keep the two Poly coaches we did. Good PR and good for recruiting.

While not as important as it once was, the poly pipeline is still deep and we need to get what we can.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 4th, 2021, 2:44 pm

They will recruit Kansas J.C. a bunch, They will look for speed in the south, of course Utah will get recruited,

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » January 4th, 2021, 2:53 pm

I don't think, in my lifetime, that we've ever had three position coaches who were former players. I like to see that.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111BustaMcNutt

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 4th, 2021, 3:23 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 2:53 pm
I don't think, in my lifetime, that we've ever had three position coaches who were former players. I like to see that.
I like that they were all here around GA 1.0 time as players. They know what it takes to turn something around here, they've done it.

Go Aggies!

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » January 4th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
It's like saying we need to re-invest in Horse and Buggy because that worked for us in the past.
No.
The best Polynesian athletes all go to Pac-12 schools. Look at Oregon versus USC in the PAC-12 championship. For some reason this was an under recruited niche 10 years ago but it's over.
The next best Polynesians that are mormon all go to BYU. Look at the track record since Sitake took over. We can't compete, we are wasting our time trying, because all we are getting is the scraps.
Please show the great Polynesian athletes that Frank Maile, Justin Ena or Bojay have brought in to our program since Sitake took over in Provo? Ena has had his son commit, and Maile had his cousin commit both of which will be going to BYU IF BYU has any interest in either.
Trying to turn back the hands of time to some forlorn strategy that worked back in the day is the recipe for disaster.
Let's see what these new guys can get in Florida, Texas, California or non-mormon's from Utah. We simply aren't going to win going after mormon Polynesians any more.
It's not "long gone." The best of any type of player has almost always gone to a P5, not just the Poly player. No one is suggesting that we recruit Poly players just because of their race. That's stupid. But, we need to keep the door open and not ignore it. They produce a lot of good players. In fact, we need to work it. A lot of talented Polynesian players, and talented Mormons (RM's or not), are going to go somewhere and we might as well get our share. Also, it could be argued that they have a slightly more noticeable affinity for staying home and wanting to play locally. If we can get a couple of them through our efforts in the Poly, Mormon, local recruiting, efforts then so be it. Also, recruiting good local players keeps the team relevant with local High Schools, players and media. These are good things. We don't have to abandon Florida, Texas, California in order to make sure that we are not ignoring unique and local opportunities. It's not all or nothing. Also, while managing the RM situation is not as unique to Utah schools anymore, it's still fairly unique, and being able to manage it and use it is an advantage and should not be abandoned. We spent decades abandoning these areas. Coach after coach came into USU, completely ignored these areas, sucked up JC's, did what they could in Florida, Texas and California, and either got fired, or left for more money after having a 7-5 season. Aggie football was a disaster until we took a broader approach to recruiting. We can't build a program by returning to the myopic and predictable recruiting methods of the past. Having said all this, once we get the players, we certainly need to know how to coach them up, unite them and never allow looker room rivalries and cancers to develop. The most talented players in the nation will never win under such circumstances.
These users thanked the author BigBlueBlood for the post:
vegasaggie

Donman

Post by Donman » January 4th, 2021, 4:04 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 3:26 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
No.
It's not "long gone." The best of any type of player has almost always gone to a P5, not just the Poly player. No one is suggesting that we recruit Poly players just because of their race. That's stupid. But, we need to keep the door open and not ignore it. They produce a lot of good players. In fact, we need to work it. A lot of talented Polynesian players, and talented Mormons (RM's or not), are going to go somewhere and we might as well get our share. Also, it could be argued that they have a slightly more noticeable affinity for staying home and wanting to play locally. If we can get a couple of them through our efforts in the Poly, Mormon, local recruiting, efforts then so be it. Also, recruiting good local players keeps the team relevant with local High Schools, players and media. These are good things. We don't have to abandon Florida, Texas, California in order to make sure that we are not ignoring unique and local opportunities. It's not all or nothing. Also, while managing the RM situation is not as unique to Utah schools anymore, it's still fairly unique, and being able to manage it and use it is an advantage and should not be abandoned. We spent decades abandoning these areas. Coach after coach came into USU, completely ignored these areas, sucked up JC's, did what they could in Florida, Texas and California, and either got fired, or left for more money after having a 7-5 season. Aggie football was a disaster until we took a broader approach to recruiting. We can't build a program by returning to the myopic and predictable recruiting methods of the past. Having said all this, once we get the players, we certainly need to know how to coach them up, unite them and never allow looker room rivalries and cancers to develop. The most talented players in the nation will never win under such circumstances.
I don't think it's an either/or. Go get the best athletes.

Lebojr1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lebojr1 » January 4th, 2021, 4:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 3:05 pm
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 3rd, 2021, 1:22 pm
Some folks are claiming DeMarcus Van Dyke is also coming from Miami and will be out CB’s coach.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/mia ... story.html
The article claims that Devine will be a senior analyst not the D-line coach.
That's why is used the word possibly.
I can probably explain that to you. Can we private message on this board?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Lebojr1 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 4:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Some folks are claiming DeMarcus Van Dyke is also coming from Miami and will be out CB’s coach.

Absolutely!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 4th, 2021, 7:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Offensive Coordinator/QB's - Anthony Tucker (Formerly Central Florida)
Running Backs - Chuckie Keeton (Formerly Texas Tech)
Wide Receivers/Passing Game Coordinator - Kyle Cefalo (Formerly Arkansas State)
Tight Ends - DJ Tialavea (Retained from previous Utah State Staff)
Offensive Line - Micah James (Formerly Massachusetts)
Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ephraim Banda (Formerly Miami, FL)
Defensive Line - Al Lapuaho (Retained from previous Utah State Staff)
Linebackers/Special Teams - Nick Paremski (Formerly Arkansas State)
Inside Linebackers - Mike Zuckerman (Formerly Miami, FL)
Cornerbacks - Demarcus Van Dyke (Formerly Miami, FL)
Director of Player Personnel - David Roberson (Formerly Arkansas State)
Recruiting Analyst - BJ Edmonds (Formerly Kentucky Wesleyan)
Offensive Quality Control - ???
Defensive Quality Control - Ethan Morriss (Formerly Arkansas State)
Quality Control - Tim Burmeister (Retained from previous Utah State Staff)
Senior Defensive Analyst - Alex Devine (Formerly Miami, FL)
Strength and Conditioning - UNCOMFIRMED Paul Jackson (Formerly South Carolina)
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Are there any concerns with tucker being the qb coach when he was a reciever in college? That seems like a position where the coach should generally be a former player of the position.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 4th, 2021, 7:41 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Does this seam like a very young staff? I know they supposedly upped the pot so I wonder why so young, unless our coordinators are soaking up a ton and then there’s a drop on positional coaches.., I’m not complaining, I just think it seems interesting. It could be a really great strategy, but it could also leave us vulnerable to poaching.

it is a really young staff. I think it is a solid staff, probably would like to see a little more experience considering like 4-5 of the position coaches are first timers. I do think they have a lot of potential.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 4th, 2021, 11:02 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Are there any concerns with tucker being the qb coach when he was a reciever in college? That seems like a position where the coach should generally be a former player of the position.
OC’s are often the QB coach as well so they can maximize their time with them.

Hail Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2021, 11:49 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:02 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???

Perhaps we bring in a graduate assistant with QB experience to work with the QBs.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 5th, 2021, 8:09 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:49 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???

Perhaps we bring in a graduate assistant with QB experience to work with the QBs.
Is it possible we could hire Jordan Love part time to come in and help the QB's? Who better than a current NFL QB and the best part is that I don't think the Packers would even notice him missing if he snuck away from Milwaukee from say...Wed/Thurs to Saturday.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 5th, 2021, 8:17 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:49 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???
Graduate Assistant - ???

What is Adam Kennedy up to these days?

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » January 5th, 2021, 8:18 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:38 pm
Lebojr1 wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 4:55 pm
aggies22 wrote:
GeorgiaAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Absolutely!
Aggies22, please check your inbox. Thank you.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2021, 9:20 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 12:20 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ethan Banda (Formerly Miami, FL)
Banda's first name is Ephraim...as in the old grizzly bear...
My bad. It's been fixed. We have an Ethan now as well.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » January 5th, 2021, 11:56 am

Are we sure DVD is coming there are rumors on the Miami board that he may be staying?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 5th, 2021, 12:14 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:56 am
Are we sure DVD is coming there are rumors on the Miami board that he may be staying?
Miami’s current CB coach is not returning hence the speculation but I doubt DVD would be in consideration for that job. They need a splash hire and big time recruiter there. DVD has good recruiting skills but has never been off campus to recruit.

I could be wrong but I expect DVD to end up here.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » January 6th, 2021, 8:44 am

Looks like we'll have a couple of coaches working with the O-line.

"Utah State: UCF offensive line quality control Michael Gibbs is headed back to work with Blake Anderson at Utah State source tells FootballScoop. Gibbs previously worked with Anderson at Arkansas State."
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
aggies22

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » January 6th, 2021, 3:42 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 8:03 am
Sl7vk wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 7:55 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 7:32 am
Sl7vk wrote:
No.
This is a weird take. All the top Florida kids are staying in the south, all the top California kids are playing in the pac 12 all the top texas kids are playing at P5 school, so you want to take those scraps but not Polynesian scraps or mormon scraps? Cool.

Some of our best up and coming players right now are poly ( look at the RB room).

All else equal, if you have two identical players, a poly from utah or someone from Florida, who is more likely to come and stay in Logan?

Not saying every player needs to be from utah or Polynesian, but to ignore those players would be a mistake. In the end I want the best team possible, and do not care where the players come from.

However, we are going to have a even bigger perception problem is there is not a single lds or Poly full time coach. The court of public opinion already thinks USU discriminates against Polys and Mormons, that could get worse. But I also recognize that hiring someone just to prove that you are not a bigot is not a good way to hire.

In short, everything is complicated, and I know absolutely nothing.
I think that we are 100% on the same page in that we should take the best player.
All things being equal do you take the Utah kid over the Florida kid? For sure! Usually all things aren't equal though. You don't ignore Polynesian, Local or Mormon kids, but you don't over index your recruiting there, because it's no longer a winning formula.
It's my personal opinion that we could do far better with the athletes that weren't able to get into SEC schools from Florida or Texas than those that weren't able to get into the University of Utah and BYU here locally. That's just my personal opinon.
This. SEC schools do recruit higher caliber kids than Utah and BYU, so someone left over from the SEC is going to be higher caliber than someone leftover from Utah and BYU. That said, I do think if it's between, say a kid from Florida who is passed on be the SEC schools but is good enough to get Sun Belt offers, and and a kid from Sandy who is passed on by Utah and BYU but has Mountain West offers, you take the kid from Sandy with Mountain West offers.
Your making the assumption that we have real access to the highest quality SEC leftovers, and only those from the south. I don't know of anything that supports this assumption. A player is a player, no matter where he comes from. If BYU or Utah passes on him, it does not automatically follow that the entire SEC would or would not pass as well, especially when you consider the varying level of teams just in the SEC. Utah is a lot more like, if not better than , Missouri. There are too many variables, assumptions, unknowns, etc. to be making these types of generalizations. I say we just recruit the best kids we can, and in doing so, not ignore what's in our own backyard. According to reports I've heard over the past few years, the Utah and larger intermountain area is becoming known for producing a lot of high football talent when compared to it's population. We need to work even harder for that, because a local kid may just want to stick around and play here. But, just as important, why would we want to lose them to other MW of G5 teams who are recruiting here, too?

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » January 6th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Donman wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 4:04 pm
BigBlueBlood wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
No.
I don't think it's an either/or. Go get the best athletes.
Agreed. That's what I wrote.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 6th, 2021, 4:00 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
No.
USU football improved because we finally built facilities that were decent this place was a dump before then we also put more University money into the budget.

These guys will not abandon Utah recruiting, they will continue recruiting Poly's. we now have two poly position coach's. USU fans need to understand that USU is a distant 3rd as far as Utah recruits go.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieSl7vk

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 6th, 2021, 4:22 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 4:00 pm
BigBlueBlood wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
No.
USU football improved because we finally built facilities that were decent this place was a dump before then we also put more University money into the budget.

These guys will not abandon Utah recruiting, they will continue recruiting Poly's. we now have two poly position coach's. USU fans need to understand that USU is a distant 3rd as far as Utah recruits go.
True, but what Gary 1.0 did was find the solid Utah blu collar recruits with less shine who were passed over by Utah and BYU and get them to USU. Then we started winning a few head to head with them as folks started seeing their success. It also generated more interest from around the state in the team as they had family/friends to follow.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 6th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Chatman wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 4:22 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 4:00 pm
BigBlueBlood wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
No.

True, but what Gary 1.0 did was find the solid Utah blu collar recruits with less shine who were passed over by Utah and BYU and get them to USU. Then we started winning a few head to head with them as folks started seeing their success. It also generated more interest from around the state in the team as they had family/friends to follow.
You recruit where your connections are Gary's were in Utah, and he had success. I do believe until the Laub end zone facility was built it was hard to get anyone here. I believe this staff will recruit Utah, but of course in order to keep their jobs they need to get the best possible players here, and with the returning missionary Polys, and the kid from Skyview that are now in the fold, that is what the future, as far as I'm concerned I do not give a damn where they come from just win baby
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggie19AGinNEIowa

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 10th, 2021, 10:04 am

It sounds like Demarcus Van Dyke passed on the gig.

Locked Previous topicNext topic