May be putting the cart before the horse, but....

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
jpswensen

May be putting the cart before the horse, but....

Post by jpswensen » January 7th, 2021, 2:34 pm

3.5 more years of Worster and Ashworth could be touting this as one of the best backcourts in USU history. We have had some pretty good duos over the years, but we have two freshmen (one a true freshman) playing well beyond their basketball years.

I know, I know. There is a lot of proving that has to go on between now and then, and often backcourts only look as good as the other three guys on the court, but I am beyond ecstatic with our guard play this year where I had huge question marks surrounding them to start the season.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

GUS

Re: May be putting the cart before the horse, but....

Post by GUS » January 7th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Why would they have any effect on the backcourt of WSU????

I know, it's a typo. ;)

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 7th, 2021, 2:40 pm

GUS wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Why would they have any effect on the backcourt of WSU????
Been reading far, far too many faculty applications the last two days. My mind is kindof in the WSU gutter.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 7th, 2021, 2:43 pm

The 4 years of Pooh Williams and Tyler Newbold together were good years.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
Real Life Aggiestewusu98BigBlueDart

Eutaw St. Aggie

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » January 7th, 2021, 3:27 pm

I think that may have been the first time we have played NM in MW play when they had more turnovers than we did. I really enjoyed watching our team break the press. I also like that we did it in a variety of ways. Seeing us make them pay with some dunks was the cherry on top.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
bswaggie

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » January 7th, 2021, 3:37 pm

nswaggie wrote:I think that may have been the first time we have played NM in MW play when they had more turnovers than we did. I really enjoyed watching our team break the press. I also like that we did it in a variety of ways. Seeing us make them pay with some dunks was the cherry on top.
I noticed our ability to break the press as a thing of beauty last night. As a failed Jr Jazz coach for my son’s sophomore team that couldn’t figure out how to coach against it so we got smoked by the press every game, I was in awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post:
bswaggie

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » January 7th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I thought the same thing about McEwen and Merrill and obviously McEwen didn't stick around. Also, didn't Nate Williams and Marv Roberts play together or am I wrong?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 7th, 2021, 4:58 pm

They did an awesome job breaking the press. I loved how quick Ashworth was to make decisions he did not let the trap happen and would pass before he was in trouble. Really happy with how he handled the ball last night.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 7th, 2021, 7:08 pm

UStateTim wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 3:47 pm
I thought the same thing about McEwen and Merrill and obviously McEwen didn't stick around. Also, didn't Nate Williams and Marv Roberts play together or am I wrong?
So did I and their 2 years together were pretty underwhelming to the point a coach got fired. Granted, Merrill ended up becoming an Aggie legend so we were half right.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 7th, 2021, 7:42 pm

UStateTim wrote:
Marv and Nate did play together but not in the backcourt together. Jeff Tebbs was the point guard and nate played as a
shooting guard and some forward if a remember right. Marv was wing who had a beautiful shot from the corner along with some nice inside moves. There was one more gaurd in the rotation which I belieive was Ed Epps. May be wrong but thats what I remember from 50 years ago as a freshman.
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
USU78

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 7th, 2021, 11:07 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 7:42 pm
UStateTim wrote:
Marv and Nate did play together but not in the backcourt together. Jeff Tebbs was the point guard and nate played as a
shooting guard and some forward if a remember right. Marv was wing who had a beautiful shot from the corner along with some nice inside moves. There was one more gaurd in the rotation which I belieive was Ed Epps. May be wrong but thats what I remember from 50 years ago as a freshman.
Through the years I can’t think of any duo that tops Jeff Tebbs and Nate Williams. By the way, Marv Roberts was also a great rebounder, and Terry Wakefield also played some guard. Epps played more.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Agezzz

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 8th, 2021, 12:02 am

They are both very good, but it is a bit early for these expectations. Hopefully they'll live up to the hype.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AggieArmy

Post by AggieArmy » January 8th, 2021, 7:00 am

Kendall Youngblood and Albert Chappell were fun to watch as freshman, too bad Chappell couldn't stay healthy.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 8th, 2021, 8:57 am

AggieArmy wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 7:00 am
Kendall Youngblood and Albert Chappell were fun to watch as freshman, too bad Chappell couldn't stay healthy.
Chappell's career essentially ended on a cheap shot foul that would have been a flagrant by today's rules. He was pushed from the side while shooting a floater in the lane and he came down at a different angle than expected. If I recall correctly, it blew out his knee. The defender made no play on the ball whatsoever. It was really bad.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
AggieArmy

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 8th, 2021, 9:39 am

The future is bright with Ashworth and Worster but it will be tough to ever beat what we had with Tebbs and Williams. Looking back it is amazing. how much talent we had during that era.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
mcaggie1

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 8th, 2021, 10:04 am

I also think the future is bright. HOWEVER, this isn't a cut & dried superstar guard lineup.

That is a very small backcourt overall and could struggle defensively. Ashworth is very small (height & weight). Worster is also really struggling shooting the ball. I wouldn't crown them just yet.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionmcaggie1

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 8th, 2021, 10:12 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 10:04 am
I also think the future is bright. HOWEVER, this isn't a cut & dried superstar guard lineup.

That is a very small backcourt overall and could struggle defensively. Ashworth is very small (height & weight). Worster is also really struggling shooting the ball. I wouldn't crown them just yet.
Don't worry Worster is just going through his Sophomore slump. He will be playing like an upperclassmen in a couple of weeks.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 8th, 2021, 10:24 am

Worsted is struggling some with his 3 point shot, his midrange game is just fine.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 8th, 2021, 10:34 am

I am just happy that it looks like we have 2 true freshman guards that are playing a really good level considering this is their first year. I think this bodes well for the future.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
mcaggie1

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » January 8th, 2021, 11:50 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 10:34 am
I am just happy that it looks like we have 2 true freshman guards that are playing a really good level considering this is their first year. I think this bodes well for the future.
Agreed. This was the biggest question mark coming into the season. I am happy with what I have seen. Future looks bright.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 8th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Ashworth has such a great calming demeanor out there. He seems to sense coming traps and moves to balance the floor. Appears to have good taste in a bride also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » January 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 11:07 pm
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 7:42 pm
UStateTim wrote:
Through the years I can’t think of any duo that tops Jeff Tebbs and Nate Williams. By the way, Marv Roberts was also a great rebounder, and Terry Wakefield also played some guard. Epps played more.
The great Aggie team starting line up was Jeff Tebbs-Point, Paul Jepsen Shooting guard, Nate Williams Playing the 3 forward, Marv Roberts playing the 4 and Tolestrup playing the 5. I think Marv and Nate might have switched positions at times. Having seen all the Aggie teams since that time, this was the best Aggie Team ever. Some close, but this team was insanely good.

ColoAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ColoAggie » January 8th, 2021, 3:03 pm

GUS wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 10:24 am
Worsted is struggling some with his 3 point shot, his midrange game is just fine.
His biggest issue right now is turnovers, especially the many unforced ones. But I'm confident he'll improve there.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 8th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Definitely a pioneer before the hand cart situation.

Hail Aggies!

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 11th, 2021, 2:08 pm

jpswensen wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 2:34 pm
4.5 more years of Worster and Ashworth could be touting this as one of the best backcourts in USU history. We have had some pretty good duos over the years, but we have two freshmen (one a true freshman) playing well beyond their basketball years.

I know, I know. There is a lot of proving that has to go on between now and then, and often backcourts only look as good as the other three guys on the court, but I am beyond ecstatic with our guard play this year where I had huge question marks surrounding them to start the season.
FIFY. Thank COVID we could have this backcourt playing for 5 years. An extra year of play will push them up the record books.

Locked Previous topicNext topic