Ashworth should be starting from now on

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Ashworth should be starting from now on

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 18th, 2021, 9:28 am

Don't get me wrong, I love Worster, but he's not going to lead this team deep into the tournament and he may be a hindrance against the best teams as a starter. Why?

Because Ashworth can shoot! He's an excellent 3 point shooter and is excellent off the dribble in the lane.

I contend that in the tournament, if the Aggies can win the MWCT, they'll need a pg like this in order to win... I also contend that we need Ashworth to get a lot of playing time so that he can work his way out of youthful mistakes.

Is there any reason that I'm wrong?

Bank Shot

Re: Ashworth should be starting from now on

Post by Bank Shot » January 18th, 2021, 9:36 am

I'd argue that having someone like Ashworth coming off the bench is more valuable than having someone like Rollie. Just like last year, there were arguments that Brito should start, but so many times the complexion of the game turned on his coming off the bench. I wouldn't argue though about who gets the most minutes overall as the season progresses.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 4):
utaggiesbrownjeansaggies22BigVBAg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 18th, 2021, 9:42 am

I like Ashworth coming off the bench to provide a spark. That being said Ashworth needs to be getting 25+ minutes a game.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 18th, 2021, 9:47 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:42 am
I like Ashworth coming off the bench to provide a spark. That being said Ashworth needs to be getting 25+ minutes a game.
I agree. I am fine if he doesn't start but he needs to be getting mins of 25+. So do Rollie, Marco and Miller. The mins that Ashworth will actually be more Bairstow rather than Rollie as I expect for our close games (CSU, BSU) the bench to shorten and really play 4 guys at those 3 spots with a little Bairstow.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
utaggies

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 18th, 2021, 9:54 am

I guess I don't really understand the whole "this guy should start over that guy" discussion. Why do people think that? Just because they like they way a certain player performs in the game?

There's more to it than just who's got more hustle or a higher shot percentage. Case in point: show me a player with more hustle or a higher 3-pt% than Brian Green. How often did Brian Green start?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
ereksonaggieaggies22

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 18th, 2021, 11:10 am

For me it’s how many minutes they play, and who’s playing at the end.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
aggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 18th, 2021, 11:35 am

I wouldn't change a thing about this team other than maybe finding ways to get Ashworth 2-3 more minutes without cutting signficantly into any one guard or wing. Bairstow has improved greatly and is athletic and rangy. Worster is a winner too who will only get better. The defensive chemistry of this team in their respective roles is unbelievable. If its not broke don't fix it.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
aggies22

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 18th, 2021, 11:57 am

Have you all noticed when they show a shot of Smith, especially in the first 10 minutes or so, that he is glancing at a piece of paper? I'm reasonably certain that he has a rotation pattern in mind and then adjusts to that as the game progresses. I would guess those rotations are also used in practice during the week, so a particular unit is used to being together. One thing for sure, IMO, is that Rollie is going to start every game unless he goes full on Ainge. That ain't going to happen! For a kid that a year ago was playing high school ball in Montana to being a starter on a top level MWC team, the future is bright.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
slcaggBigVBAg

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » January 18th, 2021, 12:24 pm

I still think Worster has a nagging injury. About 5-6 games ago he came up gimpy from a fall. It seemed to last the rest of the game. Maybe something is still bothering him?

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 18th, 2021, 2:17 pm

jpswensen wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 12:24 pm
I still think Worster has a nagging injury. About 5-6 games ago he came up gimpy from a fall. It seemed to last the rest of the game. Maybe something is still bothering him?
Does it seem like Worster slips a lot when he cuts? Had at least 8-10 in that last game.

I think Ashworth is the perfect bench player, isn’t offense and energy guy. Just needs more minutes.

What’s going to throw another wrench in all this PT talk is Shulga is starting to come on in practice and will be getting minutes too.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 18th, 2021, 2:21 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:17 pm
jpswensen wrote:
Does it seem like Worster slips a lot when he cuts? Had at least 8-10 in that last game.

I think Ashworth is the perfect bench player, isn’t offense and energy guy. Just needs more minutes.

What’s going to throw another wrench in all this PT talk is Shulga is starting to come on in practice and will be getting minutes too.
What’s the story on shulga?

I’ve heard scotty try to talk him up before which tells me that is what he is hearing as well.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » January 18th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:54 am
I guess I don't really understand the whole "this guy should start over that guy" discussion. Why do people think that? Just because they like they way a certain player performs in the game?

There's more to it than just who's got more hustle or a higher shot percentage. Case in point: show me a player with more hustle or a higher 3-pt% than Brian Green. How often did Brian Green start?
Why does anyone move to a starting role, because they are more valuable there. Why isn't Justin Bean still coming off the bench, because he's better around player than the starter that was in front of him. I believed Brito and the team did better when he started those last few games.
I'm on board with the Ashworth starting idea. He's earned already it and is ready for it.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 18th, 2021, 2:31 pm

I think Ashworth has done great, but we've won how many in a row now? Not sure why you'd mess with the chemistry right now

Go Aggies!

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 18th, 2021, 2:51 pm

One of the best things about this team is it seems like we extend leads even further when both benches start to come in. I wouldn’t mess with it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
Bank Shot

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 18th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:51 pm
One of the best things about this team is it seems like we extend leads even further when both benches start to come in. I wouldn’t mess with it either.

Excellent point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » January 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Is a spark off the bench. Need to keep the same rotation.
These users thanked the author IBleedAggieBlue for the post:
AggiePT

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » January 18th, 2021, 3:24 pm

I like the idea of having some balance on the floor throughout the game. When we take out a couple of starters, it is nice to have someone go in that can score and potentially extend the lead. I think minutes per game is more important, but starting carries “status”. Offhand, I can’t think of a situation where the highest paid player on a professional team doesn’t start.

It is probably best to always have at least one of your top 2-3 guys on the floor at all times. In basketball, one stud with 4 role players can do pretty well. Things can really stagnate when all 5 are role players.
Last edited by Pacobag on January 18th, 2021, 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 18th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Is O'Neil better than Clarkson or Ingles? Is Snyder foolish?
"Starting" is an overrated measurement. Most of you get this so I'm mostly preaching to the choir.
There are very good reasons to not put your best five on the floor to start a game.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
utaggiesPacobag

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 19th, 2021, 7:17 am

slcagg wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

I’ve heard scotty try to talk him up before which tells me that is what he is hearing as well.
Craig himself mentioned Shulga's improvement recently, maybe on last week's coaches' show, and suggested that he's ready to get some meaningful PT. How Craig squeezes him into a rotation that's already pretty effective will be interesting to watch.

Nobody here knows anything.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 19th, 2021, 7:45 am

OKAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 7:17 am
slcagg wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

Craig himself mentioned Shulga's improvement recently, maybe on last week's coaches' show, and suggested that he's ready to get some meaningful PT. How Craig squeezes him into a rotation that's already pretty effective will be interesting to watch.
Thanks OK. Craig has also praised the zapala recently as well multiple times. You can tell he really likes those two.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 19th, 2021, 10:05 am

sometimes starting is just a head game. some kids need to start to be in the game and others can come off the bench and be in the game instantly. not saying i like that, i've just seen that happen before.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 19th, 2021, 10:10 am

slcagg wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:47 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:42 am
I agree. I am fine if he doesn't start but he needs to be getting mins of 25+. So do Rollie, Marco and Miller. The mins that Ashworth will actually be more Bairstow rather than Rollie as I expect for our close games (CSU, BSU) the bench to shorten and really play 4 guys at those 3 spots with a little Bairstow.
Yep as Greg Popovich said when questioned why Manu Ginobli was coming off the bench; "the 5 guys I have on the floor at the end of the game is what I care about more than who is on the court at the beginning."

Ashworth and Worster each played 23 minutes on Saturday, but Ashworth was the guy in at the end of the game icing it with the game clinching free throws. Just like Manu, Ashworth will be on the court at the end when the game is on the line.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 19th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 9:54 am

Setting the tone is not overrated.

Locked Previous topicNext topic