Tomorrow is a really big game

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Tomorrow is a really big game

Post by SLB » January 20th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Tomorrow's decides who is in control of the conference going forward
Last edited by SLB on January 20th, 2021, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Sneelock

Re: Tomorrow is a really big game

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 20th, 2021, 5:01 pm

It is a big game, but there are no divisions in basketball, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SLB

Post by SLB » January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:01 pm
It is a big game, but there are no divisions in basketball, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.
I was going back and forth with sports.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 20th, 2021, 5:06 pm

SLB wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I thought you were spreading division again.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieReal Life Aggiesam tingeyNVAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » January 20th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:06 pm
SLB wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
I thought you were spreading division again.
I called for Sandbox since you took this to the Sandbox. We all know where this thread will go from here.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 20th, 2021, 5:19 pm

Definitely is a big game since I imagine Boise State sweeps current 3-5 Fresno State. Either way I am impressed with where we are, but we probably drop a game back going into next week with a loss. Boise State still has to play Colorado State, Nevada, USU and San Diego State so we'll probably make it up though. A win tomorrow and I'll put money down that we are at least the regular season champs.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 20th, 2021, 5:23 pm

It is going to be a big game. However I feel like every game is big. Watching the game last night, if USU plays their kind of basketball then we should win. The only way Colorado State has a chance to win is if their 3's start dropping. It really is their only weapon. They have nothing else that could be effective against Utah State.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm

CSU's main weapons underperformed their averages last night. I don't know if it was due to them being off, our defense in them, or a combination, but I would expect them to have a better game tomorrow.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 21st, 2021, 7:27 am

They will probably be better today. I can't see Stevens and Roddy playing so poorly today. I was shocked to see them play so conservatively. I have watched them in other games, and they played much more confidently. It should be a battle similar to game 2 last week. It should be a fun one.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 21st, 2021, 7:57 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:19 pm
Definitely is a big game since I imagine Boise State sweeps current 3-5 Fresno State. Either way I am impressed with where we are, but we probably drop a game back going into next week with a loss. Boise State still has to play Colorado State, Nevada, USU and San Diego State so we'll probably make it up though. A win tomorrow and I'll put money down that we are at least the regular season champs.
What happens if USU and Boise both win out with the exception of the USU Boise series which they split 1-1? would there just be official joint regular season champions?

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 21st, 2021, 8:04 am

JSHarvey wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:57 am
What happens if USU and Boise both win out with the exception of the USU Boise series which they split 1-1? would there just be official joint regular season champions?
I bet the number one seed would default to who had the tougher schedule. Whoever played more difficult teams away rather than at home. Bosie has got a tough schedule these next 5 weeks. I doubt they will be able to win out on all of them. Interesting question though!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 21st, 2021, 8:06 am

JSHarvey wrote:
Coin toss/ranking for tournament seedings, as I recall.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 8:08 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:27 am
They will probably be better today. I can't see Stevens and Roddy playing so poorly today. I was shocked to see them play so conservatively. I have watched them in other games, and they played much more confidently. It should be a battle similar to game 2 last week. It should be a fun one.
I think Roddy played so poorly because of Queta. Queta is so long that Roddy cannot just bully his way to the basket. Queta was also patient and did not foul too much. Stevens played decent, but he is pretty short for a guard and the lenght seemed to bother him a little as well. CSU missed a lot of open 3 point shots in the 2nd half. If those start going in they will be a tough team to beat. Overall USU seems like a bad matchup overall for CSU. The aggies play really good defense, rebound the ball very well and have a lot length which causes CSU problems.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 21st, 2021, 8:29 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:08 am
NVAggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 7:27 am
I think Roddy played so poorly because of Queta. Queta is so long that Roddy cannot just bully his way to the basket. Queta was also patient and did not foul too much. Stevens played decent, but he is pretty short for a guard and the lenght seemed to bother him a little as well. CSU missed a lot of open 3 point shots in the 2nd half. If those start going in they will be a tough team to beat. Overall USU seems like a bad matchup overall for CSU. The aggies play really good defense, rebound the ball very well and have a lot length which causes CSU problems.
Roddy has a hard time inside. Stevens has a hard time with Marco guarding him. If we can repeat that we win easily.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 21st, 2021, 8:36 am

I was happy to hear Craig talk about fixing the issues we had with giving up so many open 3s to CSU. They won't always miss...although they did make 9 threes and their average is 10. Still way too many wide open 3s though.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 21st, 2021, 8:45 am

The 52.6%-33.3% from 3 advantage for us is not realistically going to happen again.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 21st, 2021, 8:49 am

Bank Shot wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 8:45 am
The 52.6%-33.3% from 3 advantage for us is not realistically going to happen again.
No it won't. That being said we made 10 three point shots and they made 9 so the difference was not too much. We missed a lot of open shots right at the basket.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2021, 9:18 am

JSHarvey wrote:
Memories of 03-04 are in my head. I'd imagine co-regular season champs with coin flip for seeding on the tournament game. Someone can correct me if that is wrong.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 21st, 2021, 9:29 am

JSHarvey wrote:
We would be joint regular season champions. For seeding, tie breaker for the MW starts with record against the next highest team in the standings and then moving down. If we both won out then we'd have to move on to the next tie breaker which is NET ranking. In that case Boise most likely becomes the 1 seed. They are quite a bit ahead of us right now and if we split I don't see that changing.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2021, 9:42 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:29 am
JSHarvey wrote:
We would be joint regular season champions. For seeding, tie breaker for the MW starts with record against the next highest team in the standings and then moving down. If we both won out then we'd have to move on to the next tie breaker which is NET ranking. In that case Boise most likely becomes the 1 seed. They are quite a bit ahead of us right now and if we split I don't see that changing.
That would make sense and be the most fair. Hopefully it won't come to that. I bet if we win out and split with BSU we will have the best record in the MW. I bet they slip up at least once with all of the better opponents still in front of them.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 21st, 2021, 9:50 am

Tonight is CSU's 4th road game in 7 days so it'd really be impressive if they can come into the Spectrum and win. If we win tonight and sweep CSU, I believe the conference title will likely come down to USU and Boise. Seeing as Boise still has to play SDSU and CSU, it will be interesting to see if they can get a sweet against those teams as well (assuming we win tonight). Nevada will also have a say in things before this is over as they are starting to come together and still have USU, CSU, and Boise ahead of them.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 21st, 2021, 9:52 am

There are a lot of games to play I think UNR will be a factor coming down the stretch. It is going to be fun.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 21st, 2021, 10:16 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 9:50 am
Tonight is CSU's 4th road game in 7 days so it'd really be impressive if they can come into the Spectrum and win. If we win tonight and sweep CSU, I believe the conference title will likely come down to USU and Boise. Seeing as Boise still has to play SDSU and CSU, it will be interesting to see if they can get a sweet against those teams as well (assuming we win tonight). Nevada will also have a say in things before this is over as they are starting to come together and still have USU, CSU, and Boise ahead of them.
The way USU is playing plus having a very favorable schedule (CSU, SDSU, Nevada at home) puts us in the drivers seat. If they win tonight we will be 4-0 vs CSU and SDSU.

CSU would be 1-3
SDSU would be 1-3
BSU 0-0 vs top half of league

BSU goes to CSU next week followed by @ Nevada, and finishes with us and @ SDSU.

Take care of business tonight. Stay focused and don't overlook UNLV, Fresno or Wyoming and we will be in great shape.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

Win today, and we are certainly in the driver’s seat. Lose today and we are still right there in it. Even with a loss, we are still two games up on SDSU and a game up on CSU, with Boise still needing to play the meat of it’s schedule.

A win today though gives us room to slip up though, and of course, another Q2 win for the resume. The SDSU and CSU wins are an investment that will pay off later as they start piling up the wins.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 11:20 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:07 am
Win today, and we are certainly in the driver’s seat. Lose today and we are still right there in it. Even with a loss, we are still two games up on SDSU and a game up on CSU, with Boise still needing to play the meat of it’s schedule.

A win today though gives us room to slip up though, and of course, another Q2 win for the resume. The SDSU and CSU wins are an investment that will pay off later as they start piling up the wins.
And we need a Q2 win, seeing as how VCU dipped down, and that's no longer a Q1 loss. Now that it's a Q2 loss, we don't want to wobble this one.

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » January 21st, 2021, 12:47 pm

The #1 seed for the conference tournament seems like a bigger deal that usual this year. IMO I think there is a decent gap between the top 3 and the rest (including CSU here as #4.) Assuming Boise and SDSU finish 2 and 3 it would be real nice to avoid both of them until the finals.
These users thanked the author SweepDance for the post:
ProvoAggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 21st, 2021, 12:56 pm

SweepDance wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 12:47 pm
The #1 seed for the conference tournament seems like a bigger deal that usual this year. IMO I think there is a decent gap between the top 3 and the rest (including CSU here as #4.) Assuming Boise and SDSU finish 2 and 3 it would be real nice to avoid both of them until the finals.
Let's not put the cart before the horse. We are looking really good to end up as 2 seed. I agree that things are looking good, but we've got some distance between now and then. We've gotta wrap up CSU tonight, no small task, and then (assuming no upsets prior to Boise) we need to at least split with Boise at their place... That's tough.

We're in a great spot. Even if we don't end up as the top seed, I believe we're capable of taking down every team. Boise State remains to be seen how we match up and compare, especially as they are fittingly better rated than we are.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 22nd, 2021, 8:43 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:Tonight is CSU's 4th road game in 7 days so it'd really be impressive if they can come into the Spectrum and win. If we win tonight and sweep CSU, I believe the conference title will likely come down to USU and Boise. Seeing as Boise still has to play SDSU and CSU, it will be interesting to see if they can get a sweet against those teams as well (assuming we win tonight). Nevada will also have a say in things before this is over as they are starting to come together and still have USU, CSU, and Boise ahead of them.
Well just when you think you are beginning to make sense of the conference CSU knocks off the Aggies, Nevada loses to Wyoming, and Boise gets the Rona. The conference race is anything but over and will get plenty interesting before things are said and done.

Locked Previous topicNext topic