Net rankings

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13

Net rankings

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 5th, 2021, 7:14 am

We are back to 50. Jumped up four spots. Just need to keep winning.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

jpswensen

Re: Net rankings

Post by jpswensen » February 5th, 2021, 7:24 am

Has the MWC ever had 4 in the top 50 of NET, RPI, or other rankings? I know it has had three teams in the tournament before, but wonder what the rankings looked like when that happened.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 5th, 2021, 8:00 am

jpswensen wrote:Has the MWC ever had 4 in the top 50 of NET, RPI, or other rankings? I know it has had three teams in the tournament before, but wonder what the rankings looked like when that happened.
It had 5 teams in the tourney right before we joined, or are you referring to MW in the current state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 5th, 2021, 8:10 am

CSU almost dropped one to Wyoming last night. 74-72 iirc. We need the top 4 to keep winning.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 5th, 2021, 8:17 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:00 am
jpswensen wrote:Has the MWC ever had 4 in the top 50 of NET, RPI, or other rankings? I know it has had three teams in the tournament before, but wonder what the rankings looked like when that happened.
It had 5 teams in the tourney right before we joined, or are you referring to MW in the current state?

I think that year the mw was close to the number 1 rpi conference. Then if I recall correctly they did not have a great showing in the tournament.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 5th, 2021, 8:18 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:10 am
CSU almost dropped one to Wyoming last night. 74-72 iirc. We need the top 4 to keep winning.
I actually think Wyoming winning would've been good for us. There is 0 chance the MWC is getting 4 teams in the NCAA tournament and right now we're the 4th team. Having someone else drop a game to non MWC power would've been nice.

CSU is not going to be able to climb into the Q1 win category for us so it didn't matter from that standpoint. Then it could help overall if Wyoming climbed higher if they beat CSU.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 5th, 2021, 8:22 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:18 am
I actually think Wyoming winning would've been good for us. There is 0 chance the MWC is getting 4 teams in the NCAA tournament and right now we're the 4th team. Having someone else drop a game to non MWC power would've been nice.

CSU is not going to be able to climb into the Q1 win category for us so it didn't matter from that standpoint. Then it could help overall if Wyoming climbed higher if they beat CSU.
I think you're right. We will likely need to get into the MW championship game, which means we'll have to beat one of CSU, BSU, or SDSU. Unless we sweep Boise on the road and clean up the rest of our schedule, then we'll be a lock. But if we happen to play CSU in the semis, it's better to have them as a Q1 neutral court win than a Q2.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

CougComingInPeace
Has thanked: 0

Post by CougComingInPeace » February 5th, 2021, 9:39 am

As a BYU fan I just want to give some serious props to Craig Smith and your team as a whole. I assume you guys felt the same, but when BYU and Utah State played we both looked terrible. I thought both teams would be lucky to even make the NIT. We both hardly scored in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Well, almost 2 months later and now both our squads are fighting for at large bids. Craig Smith has got to be one of the better HCs in America, and Queta is a force. You guys, like us, have a ton of different players that step up every night. Worster, Ashworth, Miller, Queta, and so on. I hope you guys can keep Craig for the long haul, the state of Utah is better when there is good college basketball. I'd love to see Craig and Pope keep guiding our teams to the promised land with Larry K does the opposite to the Utes.

I hope you guys win the MWC this year, for the 3rd straight time. I honestly expect it to be you guys or Boise State who wins the tournament. SDSU seems to be somewhat of a fraud this year, and Colorado State is good, but I think you guys should be able to beat them again if matched up. Good luck the rest of the year and congrats on the turnaround this season from your slow start.
These users thanked the author CougComingInPeace for the post (total 10):
3rdGenAggieRoy McAvoyslcaggflying_scotsman2.0BLUERUFiOReal Life AggieAggie in Boiseaggies95Aggiealum13MetsJetsAggies

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 5th, 2021, 11:30 am

CougComingInPeace wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 9:39 am
As a BYU fan I just want to give some serious props to Craig Smith and your team as a whole. I assume you guys felt the same, but when BYU and Utah State played we both looked terrible. I thought both teams would be lucky to even make the NIT. We both hardly scored in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Well, almost 2 months later and now both our squads are fighting for at large bids. Craig Smith has got to be one of the better HCs in America, and Queta is a force. You guys, like us, have a ton of different players that step up every night. Worster, Ashworth, Miller, Queta, and so on. I hope you guys can keep Craig for the long haul, the state of Utah is better when there is good college basketball. I'd love to see Craig and Pope keep guiding our teams to the promised land with Larry K does the opposite to the Utes.

I hope you guys win the MWC this year, for the 3rd straight time. I honestly expect it to be you guys or Boise State who wins the tournament. SDSU seems to be somewhat of a fraud this year, and Colorado State is good, but I think you guys should be able to beat them again if matched up. Good luck the rest of the year and congrats on the turnaround this season from your slow start.
Nice post. But I have to disagree with SDSU being a fraud. They are catching stride and peaking at the right time. They will be a handful for anyone who faces them. Very fortunate we got them in both games at Logan. I appreciate the kind words about our chances in the conference tournament. It was nice to get back-to-back conference titles especially last year against a top 10 SDSU team. When will BYU ever get one? Some of you guys were still in diapers since the last time BYU has had a conference tournament banner. Gonzaga makes it tough, but at least Saint Mary's got a couple the last 10 years.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 5th, 2021, 11:47 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 11:30 am
CougComingInPeace wrote:

Nice post. But I have to disagree with SDSU being a fraud. They are catching stride and peaking at the right time. They will be a handful for anyone who faces them. Very fortunate we got them in both games at Logan. I appreciate the kind words about our chances in the conference tournament. It was nice to get back-to-back conference titles especially last year against a top 10 SDSU team. When will BYU ever get one? Some of you guys were still in diapers since the last time BYU has had a conference tournament banner. Gonzaga makes it tough, but at least Saint Mary's got a couple the last 10 years.
I am thankful we played SDSU when we did. The Butler kid that played the 2nd game is playing really well. Add back in Mitchell after his injury and I actually think by the end of the regular season they may be the team to beat the in the conference tournament . We will see how they how they do against Boise, but they are good. That being said I would not count out our Aggies with Craig at the reins, the aggies will be anything but an easy out for anybody in the conference tournament.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 5th, 2021, 11:52 am

Aggiealum13 wrote:
CougComingInPeace wrote:

Yeah - I wouldn't call SDSU a "fraud". They did beat UCLA and ASU in the non-conference. They have a very good team with some great players in Mitchell and Mensah. They also have a solid supporting cast (Shakel, Gomez, etc.). They are still a very solid team (13-4 overall and 3 conference losses total). There is a reason they are a Top 50 team.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 5th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 11:52 am
Aggiealum13 wrote:
CougComingInPeace wrote:

Yeah - I wouldn't call SDSU a "fraud". They did beat UCLA and ASU in the non-conference. They have a very good team with some great players in Mitchell and Mensah. They also have a solid supporting cast (Shakel, Gomez, etc.). They are still a very solid team (13-4 overall and 3 conference losses total). There is a reason they are a Top 50 team.
Their net today is 23.

Their issue is they sometimes have inconsistent offense which has led to several of their losses this year.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » February 5th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:18 am

I agree MW isn't getting 4 teams in but there is also no guarantee for 3 teams if top teams lose to mid-conference foes. I want the four teams to beat everyone out of the top 4. If that happens we would need a sweep of Boise or a split and have SDSU at least split with Boise. If SDSU drops both to Boise that puts us ahead of SDSU, in my opinion. If we split with Boise and SDSU split with Boise puts us in a 3-way tie for league champion with SDSU on the outside, which again gives us a good look if 3 teams make it. Ideally we sweep Boise and claim outright league champion, that should get us in. Otherwise, if all four teams go without another loss, except to the top 4, it will come to the tourney. If one of the teams bows out early, that could put them out, if all four make the semis then those two games will put the winners in the tourney and the two losers have to hope.

We just don't want one of the top 4 to nosedive and take away quality wins or give us bad losses. I would also say that we want all four to win out so that the NET rankings are higher for the MWT, which again would give us a chance for another quality win. Also, it seems if USU wants a good seed the best thing would be for the top 4 to not lose a clunker, for USU to win out, the top four go to semis of the tournament with USU winning the tourney. That would look impressive. I want the NCAA tourney but I really don't want to limp in as a 12-13 seed. Best way is for the top teams to keep winning.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm

BYU is top 30 as of today. That pushes our loss to them to quad 1 loss.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 5th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 2:29 pm
This actually kindof brings up a potential perverse recursive bump in the NET rankings. A team reaching Q1 could cause another teams to bump from a Q3 to a Q2, which would in turn look better for the Q1 team, which in turn would look better for the now Q2 teams......INCEPTION.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 5th, 2021, 3:34 pm

jpswensen wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
This actually kindof brings up a potential perverse recursive bump in the NET rankings. A team reaching Q1 could cause another teams to bump from a Q3 to a Q2, which would in turn look better for the Q1 team, which in turn would look better for the now Q2 teams......INCEPTION.
More like Tenet

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 5th, 2021, 3:55 pm

jpswensen wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
This is the same phenomenon that people like the Kardashian clan experience. They don't do anything but are famous for being famous. As they become famous, the entertainment writers and producers have to put them on their shows because they don't want to miss out on viewership. Then people see them on those shows and think they are people worth knowing about and following so they keep watching them and clicking on stories or photos that talk about them. They don't do anything and contribute nothing of substance to society (pop culture or otherwise), but their fame compounds because neither the entertainment industry nor the sheep that follow the entertainment industry wants to lose "hip"-ness. It's a vicious cycle.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21mcaggie1

Eutaw St. Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 5th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 3:55 pm
jpswensen wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
This is the same phenomenon that people like the Kardashian clan experience. They don't do anything but are famous for being famous. As they become famous, the entertainment writers and producers have to put them on their shows because they don't want to miss out on viewership. Then people see them on those shows and think they are people worth knowing about and following so they keep watching them and clicking on stories or photos that talk about them. They don't do anything and contribute nothing of substance to society (pop culture or otherwise), but their fame compounds because neither the entertainment industry nor the sheep that follow the entertainment industry wants to lose "hip"-ness. It's a vicious cycle.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 5th, 2021, 5:42 pm

jpswensen wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
I was discussing this with treesap earlier and it looks like the quads don't have much of an effect on rankings but the committee definitely looks at them on a team sheet. They'll look at good wins and bad losses in addition to the ranking. Moving BYU up to quad 1 just means that the committee won't look down on us for that loss.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » February 5th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Based on what I have seen, the most important factor that the committee looks at are quality wins. Everything else pales in comparison. That is why I think we are still in decent shape. Those two wins against SDSU are gold. The win against Colorado State is nice. One more win against Boise State would really help us. And then we get another chance to pick up a good neutral court win in the tournament.
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » February 5th, 2021, 10:06 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:17 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 8:00 am

I think that year the mw was close to the number 1 rpi conference. Then if I recall correctly they did not have a great showing in the tournament.
You recall correctly. The MW had a terrible showing that year.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
slcagg

Locked Previous topicNext topic