Next week

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Next week

Post by slcagg » February 19th, 2021, 10:39 pm

If I were to guess I’d think SDSU sweeps Boise and we sweep Nevada. That would give us the 2/3 seed with csu and Boise as the four seed and sdsu as the one. In all honesty I just want to not play Nevada in the quarterfinals and then have SDSU on the other side of the bracket.

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
El Sapo

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: Next week

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 19th, 2021, 10:46 pm

I’d say an sdsu sweep and a usu sweep is one of, if not the, least likely scenarios. I’m worried about nevada without worster.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 19th, 2021, 10:46 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 10:39 pm
If I were to guess I’d think SDSU sweeps Boise and we sweep Nevada. That would give us the 2/3 seed with csu and Boise as the four seed and sdsu as the one. In all honesty I just want to not play Nevada in the quarterfinals and then have SDSU on the other side of the bracket.

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
I agree, although I think NEV will be tough to sweep. They have really good guards that we will struggle to contain. In addition who knows what games we will play the last week of the season. Will the conference snub our home games and make us go make the game at FSU or will we play there and then one game at home against WYO. A lot of things can happen. At this point our best case for making a run is getting the 2nd or 3rd seed, avoiding NEV in the quarters and the 1 seed in the semis.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 19th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Nevada will be tough to sweep and so will Boise by sdsu. We like to talk sh*t on Boise on this board and I'm all for it, but they got a great team.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 19th, 2021, 10:51 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Nevada will be tough to sweep and so will Boise by sdsu. We like to talk sh*t on Boise on this board and I'm all for it, but they got a great team.
Oh I agree a very good team. But they just were swept in on the road at Nevada. Think it is possibility that SDSU can do the same. Imo SDSU has the best team in the league.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 19th, 2021, 10:52 pm

slcagg wrote:If I were to guess I’d think SDSU sweeps Boise and we sweep Nevada. That would give us the 2/3 seed with csu and Boise as the four seed and sdsu as the one. In all honesty I just want to not play Nevada in the quarterfinals and then have SDSU on the other side of the bracket.

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
It will be curious what games the conference will try to make up the week before the tournament, if any. I’m not sure there are any games that are of real consequence other than the CSU-NEV series.

If NEV can rise above 100, then if we played them in the tournament it would be a Q2 but that likely won’t happen if we beat them twice next week but if they make up that CSU series and pull an upset then maybe. Every game against one of the other top teams will be Q1. We need every win we can get at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 19th, 2021, 11:04 pm

slcagg wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
If both CSU and SDS finish with 3 losses, which it appears right now is likely to happen, CSU would get the #1 seed because of SDS being swept by us and CSU splitting. So SDS would get the #2 seed and we would get the #3 seed with BSU, with 5 conference losses, getting the #4 seed. Things change if BSU splits with SDS. CSU would still get the #1 seed but BSU, USU and SDS would all have 4 losses. The records ofnthe three teams against each other would be USU 2-2; SDS 1-3 and BSU 3-1 — so BSU would get the #2 seed, we would get the #3 seed and SDS would get the #4 seed by virtue of us sweeping the Aztecs.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 19th, 2021, 11:06 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 11:04 pm
slcagg wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
If both CSU and SDS finish with 3 losses, which it appears right now is likely to happen, CSU would get the #1 seed because of SDS being swept by us and CSU splitting. So SDS would get the #2 seed and we would get the #3 seed with BSU, with 5 conference losses, getting the #4 seed. Things change if BSU splits with SDS. CSU would still get the #1 seed but BSU, USU and SDS would all have 4 losses. The records ofnthe three teams against each other would be USU 2-2; SDS 1-3 and BSU 3-1 — so BSU would get the #2 seed, we would get the #3 seed and SDS would get the #4 seed by virtue of us sweeping the Aztecs.
Who would you rather play in the semis then. Boise or SDSU?

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 19th, 2021, 11:06 pm

scotlandog wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 10:52 pm
slcagg wrote:If I were to guess I’d think SDSU sweeps Boise and we sweep Nevada. That would give us the 2/3 seed with csu and Boise as the four seed and sdsu as the one. In all honesty I just want to not play Nevada in the quarterfinals and then have SDSU on the other side of the bracket.

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
It will be curious what games the conference will try to make up the week before the tournament, if any. I’m not sure there are any games that are of real consequence other than the CSU-NEV series.

If NEV can rise above 100, then if we played them in the tournament it would be a Q2 but that likely won’t happen if we beat them twice next week but if they make up that CSU series and pull an upset then maybe. Every game against one of the other top teams will be Q1. We need every win we can get at this point.

I believe our NET is meaningless right now as a consequence of dropping both games to BSU. So Q1 or Q2 victories are moot. It’s win the conference tourney or go to the NIT right now — if, in fact, there will even be an NIT this year.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2021, 11:07 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 11:06 pm
utaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
Boise. 100%. They have a history of pissing down the leg in conference tourneys.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 19th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Don’t forget csu may still need to play in Reno as that may be a series the conference tries to make up.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 19th, 2021, 11:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
utaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
Without a doubt I’d rather play BSU.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 19th, 2021, 11:10 pm

utaggies wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.

I believe our NET is meaningless right now as a consequence of dropping both games to BSU. So Q1 or Q2 victories are moot. It’s win the conference tourney or go to the NIT right now — if, in fact, there will even be an NIT this year.
You’re right. It’s been habit of tracking the NET and now it’s meaningless. Rooting for the 2-3 game instead of playing in the 4-5 game and then against the one seed.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 20th, 2021, 9:28 am

Seriously think that Boise will do better against SDSU than what some think on here. Nevada was a wake up call to them. I bet they get at least one if not both against SDSU.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm

slcagg wrote:
utaggies wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.
SDSU. Kigab and Alston are terribe match ups for us. We match up well with SDSU.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » February 20th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Boise is good. But, I like our chances against anyone in the league on a neutral court
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
slcaggMetsJetsAggiesaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 20th, 2021, 1:03 pm

utaggies wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Let’s go sweep Nevada.

I would doubt there is. There is no reason for one. No fans and no revenue. It's looking like no post season for USU. I think a conference tournament is iffy.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 20th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Ncaa tournament just announced some fans can attend.

Also I’m not sure the money but would guess the nit gets more money from tv than from ticket sales. Just a guess.

With that said it will be a disappointment that with someone like queta we had a ncaa tournament canceled and just miss out on another. Hope we can win the conference tournament.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 20th, 2021, 2:05 pm

I think Boise and SDSU can just make a move like the wcc and opt out of the tournament. It would basically be down to Nevada, CSU, and USU.

I’m not up to date tho, has the wcc finalized their plan for byu and Gonzaga to not play? Had the ncaa said anything?

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 21st, 2021, 5:17 pm

Being as optimistic as possible, I still sew a few scenarios where we make it to the big dance:

1. We win the conference tourney outright
2. We sweep Nevada, and beat two of the following (SDSU, CSU or Bosie), and lose to the third in the championship game (preferably SDSU).
3. SDSU, Bosie and/or CSU sit out the tourney and we roll through it and get the AQ.
4. We sweep Nevada pick up a few quality wins in the tourney, don't make the initial field of 68 but get in as a COVID replacement.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 21st, 2021, 6:27 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 5:17 pm
3. SDSU, Bosie and/or CSU sit out the tourney and we roll through it and get the AQ.
It's doubtful the NCAA would let those three sit out the tourney and give a fourth bid to the tourney winner. If they did that, then they would also have to let Gonzaga and BYU sit out the WCC tourney and give a third bid to whoever wins the tourney of the remaining teams there. Then you would have the Big Ten and ACC wanting to let the top half of the league that are locks for at-large bids sit out the tourney, while they have tourneys for a bid narrowed down to the bottom half of the league.

I like the idea of getting to roll through a tournament that excludes any or all of those three, but they won't let it happen. It's either no tournament or one that includes everyone.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 22nd, 2021, 4:30 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 6:27 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 5:17 pm
It's doubtful the NCAA would let those three sit out the tourney and give a fourth bid to the tourney winner. If they did that, then they would also have to let Gonzaga and BYU sit out the WCC tourney and give a third bid to whoever wins the tourney of the remaining teams there. Then you would have the Big Ten and ACC wanting to let the top half of the league that are locks for at-large bids sit out the tourney, while they have tourneys for a bid narrowed down to the bottom half of the league.

I like the idea of getting to roll through a tournament that excludes any or all of those three, but they won't let it happen. It's either no tournament or one that includes everyone.
This year the NCAA has given conferences the ability to choose which AQ team goes to the tourney (regular-season champ, conference tourney champ, or otherwise).

Because of this, it's highly probable that some conferences will try and gain the system by having some of their higher-ranked teams sit out conference tournaments in hopes of getting more teams into the big dance. It's risky for teams like say, Bosie (32) or CSU (47) to try this. Whereas SDSU (26) could probably get away with it and still get in. But we'll see.

Locked Previous topicNext topic